PDA

View Full Version : Steven Reid

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

geysir
26/09/2009, 1:12 PM
I think Whelan and Reid offer a better mix of contrasts.

Yard of Pace
26/09/2009, 2:04 PM
he will be on the bench at least for Villa game (but hoping to start)

Don't see him in Blackburn's squad today...

Blackburn v Aston Villa
Blackburn: Robinson, Jacobsen, Samba, Nelsen, Chimbonda,
Nzonzi, Grella, Diouf, Dunn, Pedersen, Di Santo. Subs: Brown,
Emerton, McCarthy, Andrews, Kalinic, Hoilett, Salgado.
Aston Villa: Friedel, Cuellar, Dunne, Collins, Warnock, Milner,
Delph, Petrov, Ashley Young, Carew, Agbonlahor. Subs: Guzan,
Delfouneso, Heskey, Reo-Coker, Shorey, Beye, Gardner.
Referee: Mark Clattenburg (Tyne & Wear)

irishbaz
27/09/2009, 3:18 PM
Very odd I went to the match and there was no sign of him intresting as he was saying he was hoping for the bench and maybe a start!! Andrews was dropped but played well when he came on. Think that puts pay to trap starting him back to Whelan and Andrews against Italy

LFCSixty/Eighty
29/09/2009, 9:10 PM
Reidy played 70 mins in Blackburn reserves 3-0 win tonight against Everton....and he scored!! Word has it he played pretty well and is starting to show glimpses of his old form. Hopefully he can break back into the first team and get a few premier league matches now.

tetsujin1979
04/10/2009, 12:42 PM
not in the squad today VS Arsenal, slight achilles niggle blamed for him missing out
Andrews starts in centre midfield

short Q&A with him here: http://www.rovers.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10303~1797926,00.html

What's it like playing for Giovanni Trappatoni? And has he kept in regular contact with you whilst you've been out?
Kev, Dublin

I've really enjoyed playing for him and his enthusiasm for the game has rubbed off on all of us, which is probably why I've enjoyed my best form for Ireland under him. I've spoken to him regularly - and Liam Brady and Alan Kelly as well - to give them updates.

Crosby87
04/10/2009, 1:20 PM
Slight what tets?

NeilMcD
04/10/2009, 1:22 PM
He has a slight injury to achiles tendon.

Crosby87
04/10/2009, 2:07 PM
Ah poor attempt on my part Neil.

bitored
13/10/2009, 9:13 PM
It's always slightly surprised me how many people on here see Stephen Reid as the answer to all our prayers and when/if he comes back we'll be world beaters;)
I agree that when he's on form he's a good strong athletic midfielder (and good with set-pieces) but I think he's been so injury prone there has to be question marks over his availability for WC2010 (IF we get there)

What is the latest with his progress anyway and do any of you think the following can happen before the 1st playoff on 14th November:
a) he regains his fitness
b) he regains his place in the Blackburn team and gets sufficient game-time under his belt
c) he regains his form

And even if all the above is achieved will Trap definitely put him straight back into our first 11 and change a relatively settled side

geysir
13/10/2009, 9:44 PM
It's always slightly surprised me how many people on here see Stephen Reid as the answer to all our prayers and when/if he comes back we'll be world beaters;)
That's the other Reid.

I agree that when he's on form he's a good strong athletic midfielder (and good with set-pieces) but I think he's been so injury prone there has to be question marks over his availability for WC2010 (IF we get there)
Obviously there will always be ?? around the health of Steven Reid's? legs??
He is one of our best players.
We have played better with Reid in the team than out of the team.
We look forward to his return because we can use such a player at CM to add to a team that has improved over the past year.
Blackburn also look forward to his return because they are a better team with him in it.

And even if all the above is achieved will Trap definitely put him straight back into our first 11 and change a relatively settled side
A slide rule towards his fitness levels will be his ability to get back on a Blackburn team that has Andrews at CM.
Trap is no fool.

Yard of Pace
13/10/2009, 10:51 PM
That's the other Reid.

:D

I think at this stage no one sees Reid as ever likely to be in our midfield every game. However, a viewing of the Georgia and Montenegro games show just how much he offers and how the team plays so much better with him in there. I think the fact Trap named him in the Italy/Montenegro squad shows he's willing to put him in whenever he's fit.
It's a shame we don't really have many other quality options but you'd hope someone will come through sooner rather than later.

dr_peepee
14/10/2009, 9:01 AM
I've always found him to be a slow starter returning from injury. We're running out of games between now and 14th November for him to be anything like the player he was at the start of the campaign.

irishfan86
14/10/2009, 9:07 AM
His involvement would be a risk at this stage, for sure, but if he puts in a few good performances for Blackburn in the Premier League over the next month, I think it would be a bigger risk not to play him.

SuperDave
14/10/2009, 9:57 AM
It's simple. If he dislodges Andrews from the Blackburn team, then he dislodges Andrews from the Ireland team. I wouldn't go dropping Glenn Whelan.

irishfan86
16/10/2009, 10:33 AM
Interesting stuff from Trap today...I'm not familiar with the cartilage injections that were banned that used to be legal, can anybody fill me in on that?

“The problem for Steven is that the cartilage is gone and the bone is rubbing against bone. Ten, 20, even 50 years ago there were injections available that would allow cartilage to be covered up, but they’ve banned them because they’re very dangerous.

“But very seldom does cartilage heal normally, so I am worried. He is very important to us and I pray that he will be okay.”

jmurphyc
16/10/2009, 10:35 AM
It's simple. If he dislodges Andrews from the Blackburn team, then he dislodges Andrews from the Ireland team. I wouldn't go dropping Glenn Whelan.

And if Andy can dislodge himself from that door that he got stuck in, I'm sure Trap will pick him.

:p

irishfan86
16/10/2009, 11:09 AM
I think in the next 20-30 years, stem cells will be able to fix problems like this.

seanfhear
16/10/2009, 11:21 AM
And if Andy can dislodge himself from that door that he got stuck in, I'm sure Trap will pick him.

:p
Somebody must have a foot against that door;)

twoenz
16/10/2009, 6:07 PM
So, reading that Star article today, did Reid get injured again or is Trap just being pessimistic about his hopes of getting back from the injury that hampered him last season?

It's not a complete lost cause: Shearer came back from it, Fat Ronaldo came back from it, Roy Keane did too.

Eh Weh
16/10/2009, 6:16 PM
youd wonder what would happen if you put Hunt and Kilbane in the centre, two real runners and workhorses? The point has repeatedly been made the Whelan and Andrews, dont do any job whatsoever... Also Lawrence looks pretty good, whats his natural position?

twoenz
16/10/2009, 6:20 PM
They both can't tackle for toffee. Bit too lightweight. Kilbane had a good spell as a carthorse in midfield under Kerr though, but he had Keane there (from time to time).

Eh Weh
16/10/2009, 6:44 PM
ok they may not be great tacklers, but atleast you see them on the ball and involved in the action in ireland matches, whelan and andrews are ghosts!

carloz
16/10/2009, 6:50 PM
whoops, wrong thread

irishfan86
16/10/2009, 8:52 PM
ok they may not be great tacklers, but atleast you see them on the ball and involved in the action in ireland matches, whelan and andrews are ghosts!

Kilbane plays centrally at times for Hull, and is always involved; however, he's all over the place, and this wouldn't suit Trap's rigid defensive system.

I think Whelan played well against Italy (goal excluded), and made some very important tackles in midfield. He certainly wasn't invisible.

Andrews, I accept that he has been invisible at times, and if there is a better replacement out there, so be it. I don't think Killer is an improvement though.

Green Paddy
19/10/2009, 9:35 AM
Thankfully it seems like there has been a break down in communication somewhere as Reid says that knee is fine.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/trap-crocked-claim-shocks-reid-1917507.html

jbyrne
19/10/2009, 9:47 AM
The point has repeatedly been made the Whelan and Andrews, dont do any job whatsoever.

is this for real? did you not see whelans two goals this campaign?? to say they do no job whatsoever is ridiculous

DeNiro
19/10/2009, 9:56 AM
Thankfully it seems like there has been a break down in communication somewhere as Reid says that knee is fine.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/trap-crocked-claim-shocks-reid-1917507.html

Again, this gives more evidence as to why Trappatoni should be in England more regularly. He was obviously misinformed, but to be so wrong is a bit worrying. Reid is now one of our most important players going forward and Trap should know his actual state of fitness.

LFCSixty/Eighty
19/10/2009, 10:20 AM
Again, this gives more evidence as to why Trappatoni should be in England more regularly. He was obviously misinformed, but to be so wrong is a bit worrying. Reid is now one of our most important players going forward and Trap should know his actual state of fitness.

I find this shocking stuff from Trappatoni yet again. He just doesn't seem to be in touch with whats going on with the players. I have it on good authority Steven Reid was going nuts when he heard this and for him to go to the press rebutting the claims tells us how angry he is.

For your own international manager to basically call you a crock is so unbelievable its almost laughable. You would think with all his experience that he would have a bit more cop on than this. Even Trappatonis most ardent defenders can't even defend him on this on!!

jbyrne
19/10/2009, 10:29 AM
I find this shocking stuff from Trappatoni yet again. He just doesn't seem to be in touch with whats going on with the players. I have it on good authority Steven Reid was going nuts when he heard this and for him to go to the press rebutting the claims tells us how angry he is.

For your own international manager to basically call you a crock is so unbelievable its almost laughable. You would think with all his experience that he would have a bit more cop on than this. Even Trappatonis most ardent defenders can't even defend him on this on!!

maybe trap is just trying to get him to work even harder to get back for the play-offs. if so it looks like it worked reading what reid had to say in the paper. the only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about and now reid knows trap is thinking about him

LFCSixty/Eighty
19/10/2009, 10:43 AM
maybe trap is just trying to get him to work even harder to get back for the play-offs. if so it looks like it worked reading what reid had to say in the paper. the only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about and now reid knows trap is thinking about him

So you think just cos Trap says this it will make him 'work harder'!! How much harder do you think he has to work exactly?? What do you think he's has been doing in the gym every day for the last year doing??

He's been busting he's ass to get back to full fitness to play for club and country again. Comments like this to the press certainly don't help!

You seem to think that he needs Trappatoin to give him a bit of a 'helping hand' by saying he'll never get back!

I can think of better ways for Trappatoni to let him know he's thinking about him, like phoning him up and seeing how he is, instead of going to the press and making this unfounded accusations without knowing exactly whats going on!!!

Some people will defend Trap no matter what he says or does!!!

jbyrne
19/10/2009, 11:18 AM
So you think just cos Trap says this it will make him 'work harder'!! How much harder do you think he has to work exactly?? What do you think he's has been doing in the gym every day for the last year doing??

He's been busting he's ass to get back to full fitness to play for club and country again. Comments like this to the press certainly don't help!

You seem to think that he needs Trappatoin to give him a bit of a 'helping hand' by saying he'll never get back!

I can think of better ways for Trappatoni to let him know he's thinking about him, like phoning him up and seeing how he is, instead of going to the press and making this unfounded accusations without knowing exactly whats going on!!!

Some people will defend Trap no matter what he says or does!!!

not having a pop at reid at all. had the same injury myself that took me way too long to get back from. with long term rehab you sometimes need something to jolt you over the line and get you back playing. all i am saying is this could be it. its not all about gym work, mentally getting over your long term injury can be the hardest part

amaccann
19/10/2009, 11:42 AM
Mountain out of a molehill as far as I can see; Trap has admitted many times that Stephen Reid is vital to the Irish cause so it's not like Reid is in Trap's bad books. It just reads like a case of crossed wires to be honest, I think most of us would make the natural assumption that a knee injury can be borderline career-knackering.

geysir
19/10/2009, 12:21 PM
"I'd just like the supporters to know I'm not. I'm feeling great and looking forward to getting back playing in another week or so."

Great news.

Noelys Guitar
19/10/2009, 12:49 PM
"I'd just like the supporters to know I'm not. I'm feeling great and looking forward to getting back playing in another week or so."

Great news.

Best news today. A fit Stephen Reid could be the difference between us qualifying and not qualifying.

youngirish
19/10/2009, 12:50 PM
Best news today. A fit Stephen Reid could be the difference between us qualifying and not qualifying.

Unfortunately I can't see Trap risking him though I think he should play instead of Andrews. He'll stick with his tried and trusted midfield that he's used for the past year.

dr_peepee
19/10/2009, 12:55 PM
Unlikely to get in for Blackburn though. The next two league Games are against Chelsea and United, so is Sam Allardyce gonna risk a player not fully match fit.

There's a League Cup game against Peterboro on the 27th Oct. That's gonna be crucial...

geysir
19/10/2009, 1:03 PM
I'd assume when he says he is "looking forward to getting back playing in a week or so" that he has more than a hope.
This is the best statement that we could expect from that situation.

dr_peepee
19/10/2009, 1:52 PM
Defo... I was hoping he'd have had 5 or 6 games under his belt before the play off though... (based on his appearence against Gillingham a few weeks back).

SuperDave
19/10/2009, 2:05 PM
Defo... I was hoping he'd have had 5 or 6 games under his belt before the play off though... (based on his appearence against Gillingham a few weeks back).

If he plays instead of Andrews v Portsmouth at home on the 7/11, we play him.

He is bound to play v Peterborough

EastTerracer
24/10/2009, 3:40 PM
Reid on the bench for Blackburn at Chelsea. Andrews starts.

Trapp may well be at the game as he left the Spurs game at half-time.

Colbert Report
24/10/2009, 5:06 PM
They just showed him warming up on the sidelines, 35 minutes in, Blackburn down one nil.

tricky_colour
24/10/2009, 5:59 PM
5-0 down, if they bring him on for the last 20 minutes they should be able to turn it around. :)

centre mid
24/10/2009, 6:06 PM
think they have made all 3 subs already so he wont be coming on

EastTerracer
24/10/2009, 6:13 PM
David Dunn was ruled out of today's game with flu so I suspect Reid might not have been on the bench if they had a full squad available. I'd expect to see him get a start in the Carling Cup on Tuesday though.

noddy102
26/10/2009, 10:16 AM
David Dunn and Christopher Samba both have swine flu. What are the chances Steven Reid will contract it too?

tetsujin1979
26/10/2009, 1:07 PM
from http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/kiely-sticks-to-guns-over-irish-walkout-1924335.html

Trapattoni was at both White Hart Lane and Stamford Bridge. He took in the first half of Spurs' 1-0 defeat by Stoke before heading to Stamford Bridge to see Chelsea hammer Blackburn 5-0.

Unconfirmed reports suggested that the Italian sought out Steven Reid for reconciliation talks after the row over his comments regarding the midfielder's well-being.

Colbert Report
26/10/2009, 2:36 PM
From the sounds of that article, if he plays 90 minutes tomorrow he'll be named in the squad on Friday. Glad to hear Trapattoni took the time to apologize to him in person for the whole misunderstanding.

rebelmusic
26/10/2009, 2:38 PM
With a third person from rovers with swine flu i'd say chances are reidy could get a good run of games before the play offs, here's hoping anyway!

foureyes
26/10/2009, 4:20 PM
With a third person from rovers with swine flu i'd say chances are reidy could get a good run of games before the play offs, here's hoping anyway!

unless the third person with it is reid himself. with his luck it wouldn't be surprising.

gspain
26/10/2009, 4:40 PM
unless the third person with it is reid himself. with his luck it wouldn't be surprising.

First thing I thought of when I heard of the swine flu in the camp. Steven is sure to get it.

A fully fit SR in our midfield would be a massive boost.