PDA

View Full Version : Steven Reid

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

MeathDrog
04/07/2009, 9:43 PM
Reid and Fahey in the centre anyone? :)

Stuttgart88
05/07/2009, 12:27 PM
I'm amazed at the number of people calling for Fahey in their midfield. Let's wait and see how he fares in the PL first. His impact in the Championship was promising but far from compelling. Talented or not, he is a fair bit down the order still.

youngirish
05/07/2009, 12:45 PM
I'm amazed at the number of people calling for Fahey in their midfield. Let's wait and see how he fares in the PL first. His impact in the Championship was promising but far from compelling. Talented or not, he is a fair bit down the order still.

I agree Stutts. I see McCann as an option next season also though nowhere near as many people seem to mention his name even though he's more Trap's style of midfielder (big, strong, athletic and good defensively).

irishultra
05/07/2009, 2:04 PM
IDK but I think Irish people are scared of creative players :rolleyes: must be all that english football maby.

Razors left peg
05/07/2009, 2:34 PM
IDK but I think Irish people are scared of creative players :rolleyes: must be all that english football maby.

nothing to do with being afraid of creative players, think most people just want to see how Fahey copes with the Premiership first before there are more calls for him to be included in the Irish starting 11.

irishultra
05/07/2009, 3:00 PM
if a player from another country who obviously has talents 'fails' in the english league he's seen to been 'unable to adapt' if its an irish player and Fahey doesn't show what he can do, its because he's a former league of ireland player and is crap and not worthy of gracing the irish jersey.

Razors left peg
05/07/2009, 3:17 PM
if a player from another country who obviously has talents 'fails' in the english league he's seen to been 'unable to adapt' if its an irish player and Fahey doesn't show what he can do, its because he's a former league of ireland player and is crap and not worthy of gracing the irish jersey.

Why dont we see how he gets on first before you start to make exuses for why he didnt do well in the Premiership, he could be an absolutely brilliant and Im sure 99.9% of Irish fans hope he is

tetsujin1979
06/07/2009, 12:15 PM
Blackburn have announced they will be opening contract talks with Reid soon - http://www.blackburncitizen.co.uk/sport/blackburnrovers/4475993.Blackburn_Rovers_to_open_talks_with_midfie ld_duo/ - sounds promising from a fitness point of view if they're willing to open talks with him.

Incidentally, I'd have him in the squad VS Australia just to train with the side, and not play him to keep Blackburn happy. He's been injured VS Germany for us, and again soon after the Montenegro game, so they really can't be happy to see him leave for international duty.

DeLorean
06/07/2009, 1:10 PM
Glenn Whelan has played brilliantly but I reckon that Reid and Andrews would be a better partnership, they offer more going forward

I agree with the bold on account of disagreeing with the underlined!!

geysir
06/07/2009, 2:34 PM
Blackburn have announced they will be opening contract talks with Reid soon - http://www.blackburncitizen.co.uk/sport/blackburnrovers/4475993.Blackburn_Rovers_to_open_talks_with_midfie ld_duo/ - sounds promising from a fitness point of view if they're willing to open talks with him.

Incidentally, I'd have him in the squad VS Australia just to train with the side, and not play him to keep Blackburn happy. He's been injured VS Germany for us, and again soon after the Montenegro game, so they really can't be happy to see him leave for international duty.

I think he was either not 100% before the Montenegro game or he was injured during the game. He was stiff and lacked mobility after about 20 mins and wasn't his leg also strapped up. Despite that, still a commanding performance.

Hibernian
06/07/2009, 7:54 PM
If Reid comes back fit and has few games under his belt before cyprus then this will be major boost for us..he is massive blow when he is missing as i think he one the best players we have had just pity about the injuries

Scram
07/07/2009, 8:33 AM
If Reid comes back fit and has few games under his belt before cyprus then this will be major boost for us..he is massive blow when he is missing as i think he one the best players we have had just pity about the injuries

I don't think you'll get any disagreement there.

drummerboy
07/07/2009, 8:58 AM
If he does get back to full fitness in time for the remainder of our fixtures, I also believe we will qualify for the SA Finals. After watching an ageing Italy in the Confederate Cup, I reckon they are there for the taking at Croke Park. Could be exciting times ahead.

Stuttgart88
07/07/2009, 9:13 AM
Was Gattuso back for Italy? I think he's a key player. I only got to see the Confed Cup at the SF stage.

drummerboy
07/07/2009, 9:21 AM
Was Gattuso back for Italy? I think he's a key player. I only got to see the Confed Cup at the SF stage.

He played in some of the games but he is past his best, like most of the Italian team, and they don't seem to have the players coming through to replace them.

Den Perry
07/07/2009, 9:59 AM
Glenn Whelan has played brilliantly but I reckon that Reid and Andrews would be a better partnership, they offer more going forward

Glenn Whelan has played brilliantly? Are you serious? Maybe in one game against Montenegro, but that's it

tetsujin1979
07/07/2009, 12:23 PM
Whelan's been solid, if unspectacular. He's definitely improving under Trapattoni, and this has been reflected in his club performances. He's a certain squad member now, when available, and probably in the top 4 choices for starting in central midfield, again assuming everyone's fit and available.

Scram
07/07/2009, 12:39 PM
Whelan's been solid, if unspectacular. He's definitely improving under Trapattoni, and this has been reflected in his club performances. He's a certain squad member now, when available, and probably in the top 4 choices for starting in central midfield, again assuming everyone's fit and available.

A bit unfair on Whelan who hasn't done a lot wrong but here's what I'm thinking Trap will do:

.............Given...............

Finnan...Dunne...St. Ledger*....O'Shea

Ireland... S. Reid...Andrews..Duff

...............Keane.......................
...............Doyle........................

Razors left peg
07/07/2009, 4:38 PM
Glenn Whelan has played brilliantly? Are you serious? Maybe in one game against Montenegro, but that's it

He was excellent in Italy, give him credit where its due

DeLorean
07/07/2009, 5:09 PM
He was excellent in Italy, give him credit where its due

This was his best match alright. Think it suited him as the Italians allowed us have possession and he was always in plenty of space to recieve the ball. Still, like you say, credit where it's due. That's all he's getting from me though. He was an absolute disaster in all of our home qualifiers as well as the friendly against Poland. Completely overrated performances in Georgia and Montenegro and awful again away to Bulgaria.

Den Perry
07/07/2009, 5:46 PM
This was his best match alright. Think it suited him as the Italians allowed us have possession and he was always in plenty of space to recieve the ball. Still, like you say, credit where it's due. That's all he's getting from me though. He was an absolute disaster in all of our home qualifiers as well as the friendly against Poland. Completely overrated performances in Georgia and Montenegro and awful again away to Bulgaria.

I don't mean to be having a go at Whelan, I like him and he seems like a decent, modest fella, but I do not think he has played consistently well for Ireland.Maybe, its because he has been playing in an inexperienced central midfield. I also think I'd pick Andrews ahead of him if there is only one spot available between the two

tetsujin1979
06/08/2009, 12:56 AM
Reid back in full training at Blackburn: http://www.rovers.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10303~1743217,00.html

paul_oshea
06/08/2009, 10:14 AM
great news

DeLorean
06/08/2009, 10:46 AM
great news

Setanta's first live match is Blackburn v Man City at 3pm Sat week. Hopefully Reid will play some part in that, or will it be too soon?

geysir
06/08/2009, 11:24 AM
What's the betting on him lasting out to the end of August.

EastTerracer
11/08/2009, 7:52 PM
According to Tony O'Donoghue on the radio this evening Stephen Reid played 45 minutes of a behind-closed-doors friendly at Blackburn today and could feature in the League before the end of the month. That could be great news for us as we head to Cyprus as, even if not fully match fit, he would be a huge asset to have on the bench.

Razors left peg
11/08/2009, 8:19 PM
According to Tony O'Donoghue on the radio this evening Stephen Reid played 45 minutes of a behind-closed-doors friendly at Blackburn today and could feature in the League before the end of the month. That could be great news for us as we head to Cyprus as, even if not fully match fit, he would be a huge asset to have on the bench.

excellent news... just hope Blackburn and him take it very slowly

Supreme feet
23/08/2009, 9:20 PM
http://www.thisislancashire.co.uk/sport/4559984.Midfield_trio_near_to_Blackburn_Rovers_ret urn/

'...Steven and Dunny had 65 minutes in midweek and it is only about match practice for them. They might come into the reckoning for Gillingham on Tuesday night'

Good news. We really need him back, and it's a real pity that the Cyprus game is too soon for him.

Razors left peg
25/08/2009, 6:28 PM
The fantastic news is that he is starting for Blackburn tonight against Gillingham.... seems to be at right back

FarBeag
25/08/2009, 6:44 PM
Good news all right, so if he comes through this match ok can he still be called up to the Irish squad? I would be much more optimistic about our chances if he was there.

rebelmusic
25/08/2009, 7:53 PM
Gone off at half time, sky sports says it's an injury

Razors left peg
25/08/2009, 8:01 PM

hope its just a slight muscle strain with his body trying to adjust back to playing again

Closed Account
25/08/2009, 8:01 PM

Is there a no thanks button....

rebelmusic
25/08/2009, 8:07 PM
foot.ie is racist against cork people xD

shakermaker1982
25/08/2009, 8:07 PM
oh ****.

Umberside
25/08/2009, 8:08 PM
All we can do is hope for the best. He surely couldn't get injured so soon again :eek:

elroy
25/08/2009, 8:16 PM
Hopefully not, I wouldve thought it wouldve made sense to ease him back with just 45 mins and see how it got on. Hopefully its no more than a precaution. Would be a disaster if he has any sort of setback.

Razors left peg
25/08/2009, 8:18 PM
If hes just come off at half time it would make me think that he is just feeling a small injury. at least he didnt pull up in middle of game with something going on him

Umberside
25/08/2009, 8:18 PM
Probably just getting used to playing at that level and being subbed so as to not risk injury.

paul_oshea
25/08/2009, 8:55 PM
balls

tetsujin1979
25/08/2009, 10:07 PM
from the match report on Blackburn's site: http://www.rovers.co.uk/page/MatchReport/0,,10303~50684,00.html

On the stroke of half time Steven Reid stretched for a tackle, in doing so he picked up a hamstring strain and to add insult to injury he got a card for his troubles.

irishfan86
25/08/2009, 10:08 PM
Well, if that's a hamstring problem then there's no way he's back in time for Cyprus now.

paul_oshea
26/08/2009, 8:19 AM
Hamstring are an awful pain, i can see him being troubled by these for the year.

drummerboy
26/08/2009, 8:44 AM
Its not unusual for a player coming back from a long term injury to pick up muscle strains like hamstring and calf strains. However the important thing is how his knee stood up to the game. It will probably be about 6 weeks before he is back at his best. Fingers crossed.

elroy
26/08/2009, 8:50 AM
Well, if that's a hamstring problem then there's no way he's back in time for Cyprus now.

Realistically i dont think he was ever in line for the Cyprus game, he would want 4/5 full first team games under his belt before we should consider calling him up again.

Stuttgart88
26/08/2009, 9:06 AM
Trap has already said that Reid would not be ready for the Cyprus game.

irishfan86
26/08/2009, 9:36 PM
I realize he wasn't included in the squad, but I was hoping he was in a standby situation whereby he would get a late call-up if he happened to get a couple of first-team matches in.

Probably best to let him fully recover anyway I suppose.

theworm2345
03/09/2009, 12:38 AM
Midfielder Reid made his first appearance for almost a year, after undergoing knee surgery, in the Carling Cup win at Gillingham and despite suffering a hamstring tweak is almost ready for first team contention again.
http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/blackburnrovers/news/4576218.Cavalry_charge_for_Blackburn_Rovers_as_inj ured_players_make_return/

Excellent news

Murfinator
03/09/2009, 9:50 AM
We need to look to the long term for Reid, in reality another serious injury and his career could be toast. It'd be reckless to throw him into a high intensity game like this until he's fully ready.

Wolfie
03/09/2009, 10:18 AM
We need to look to the long term for Reid, in reality another serious injury and his career could be toast. It'd be reckless to throw him into a high intensity game like this until he's fully ready.

Welcome aboard, Murfinator.

A good first post. I'd wager "you'll be back".