PDA

View Full Version : Steven Reid

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

tetsujin1979
01/01/2008, 1:11 PM
Looks like he picked up a minor knock, could be back today against Sunderland: http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_3014469,00.html

The former Wales boss made four changes and rested Steven Reid as the Republic of Ireland midfielder is carrying a slight calf injury.

Reid could return against Sunderland but Hughes is wary of rushing him back and has a host of midfield options including Robbie Savage, who failed to make the bench at Derby and has been linked with a move to the Black Cats.

"We freshened things up at the weekend because we've got a few little niggles," said Hughes.

"Steven Reid missed out so we'll have to check on him. He had a little tightness in his calf so with the injuries he's had and the time he's been out, I decided to lean on the side of caution.

"Hopefully he'll be out there but if there's any doubt he'll miss out again and we'll look to involve him at the weekend."

Bondvillain
01/01/2008, 1:44 PM
That match is on tomorrow (Wednesday) and the ever informative Sky Sports News alleges a very late fitness test before owt is confirmed on whether Reid plays a part or not.

eirebhoy
13/01/2008, 3:25 PM
I'm not watching todays match but he's part of a very attacking lineup.

Pederson--Reid--Dunn--Bentley
----SantaCruz---McCarthy----

I assume he's playing quite deep. Anyone watching?

eirebhoy
13/01/2008, 4:57 PM
Delighted Reid played 90 minutes and Blackburn won. If they can win and dominate possession with that team away from home there's no reason we can't play the 2 Reid's in central midfield with 2 wide players imo.

SkStu
13/01/2008, 5:25 PM
watched the game today. Neat and tidy describes Reids performance in a very deep lying role. Chose his moments to join the attack very well and had a good shot on target from a free.

Andy O'Brien was fantastic for Bolton, in my opinion, and Joey O'Brien also played fairly well. Anyone seen him play midfield by the way? Cos he doesnt look a better option than Finnan.

Peach of a goal from Kevin Nolan.

Stuttgart88
13/01/2008, 5:29 PM
I saw the 2nd half only. Reid did well enough, though he seemed to be playing within himself & made a couple of careless errors. I was really impressed by Andy O'Brien, I thought he had a fine game and he's clearly the man to partner Dunne in my opinion. Joey did well enough, nothing too good but nothing bad.

dr_peepee
13/01/2008, 8:17 PM
Where was Joey O'Brien playing??... I like to hear that about Andy O'Brien, IMO he was second only to shay given in the campaig before last..

DmanDmythDledge
13/01/2008, 8:20 PM
O'Brien was right full. Set up Bolton's goal with a good cross from the right.

dr_peepee
13/01/2008, 8:30 PM
Cheers...

eirebhoy
14/01/2008, 5:39 PM
Passing stats from yesterdays game.

Reid
Atempted Passes - 44
Succesful Passes - 38
Success Rate - 86%

Dunn
Atempted Passes - 36
Succesful Passes - 31
Success Rate - 86%

Pedersen
Atempted Passes - 37
Succesful Passes - 19
Success Rate - 51%

Bentley
Atempted Passes - 19
Succesful Passes - 12
Success Rate - 63%

His overall pass success rate so far this season is 84% which is a huge percentage. He's certainly won me over for a central midfield slot with Carsley on the bench. It's a very good sign if Steven Reid was to be our least creative player in the team. :)

Stuttgart88
14/01/2008, 5:46 PM
That's the quantitative analysis! My own amateur qualitative analysis would be that he tried a few long balls that were a bit hit and miss (aren't long balls always?) and mainly his passing was very conservative, out wide to Bentley or his full back. Nothing wrong with bringing others into play mind you.

One important thing is that unlike O'Shea or Kilbane he protects the ball like a natural midfielder, i.e., if he's given a pass under pressure he'll turn away from trouble or lay it off immediately.

Can we change the thread title to "Steven Reid"? The incorrect spelling is annoying me!

dr_peepee
14/01/2008, 7:14 PM
Passing stats from yesterdays game.

Reid
Atempted Passes - 44
Succesful Passes - 38
Success Rate - 86%

Dunn
Atempted Passes - 36
Succesful Passes - 31
Success Rate - 86%

Pedersen
Atempted Passes - 37
Succesful Passes - 19
Success Rate - 51%

Bentley
Atempted Passes - 19
Succesful Passes - 12
Success Rate - 63%

His overall pass success rate so far this season is 84% which is a huge percentage. He's certainly won me over for a central midfield slot with Carsley on the bench. It's a very good sign if Steven Reid was to be our least creative player in the team. :)

It's S Reid AND Carsley for me....

-----S. Reid----Carsley---

-Keane----Ireland----Duff-

-----------Doyle----------

paul_oshea
14/01/2008, 7:23 PM
His overall pass success rate so far this season is 84% which is a huge percentage. He's certainly won me over for a central midfield slot with Carsley on the bench. It's a very good sign if Steven Reid was to be our least creative player in the team

there is nothing creative or impressive with a high success rate if he is passing the ball backwards or sideways all game. Stats can be deceiving!!

eirebhoy
14/01/2008, 7:33 PM
there is nothing creative or impressive with a high success rate if he is passing the ball backwards or sideways all game. Stats can be deceiving!!
Well I kinda guessed that the vast majority of his passes were short with a success rate that high. There's more to it though. Blackburn won away from home and had the majority of possession with Reid playing deep in an attacking midfield. Fair enough it's only Bolton but it was still a strong enough midfield they put out.

It's just that I never really would have considered Reid a holding midfielder. I always had niggling doubts in my head whether he could play in central midfield alongside Reid or if they'd need Carsley in beside them. I'm pretty confident it would work now though.

Irish_Praha
14/01/2008, 8:20 PM
It's just that I never really would have considered Reid a holding midfielder. I always had niggling doubts in my head whether he could play in central midfield alongside Reid or if they'd need Carsley in beside them. I'm pretty confident it would work now though.

Oh oh I can see that debate starting off again :cool:

irishfan86
14/01/2008, 9:00 PM
I thought Reid did well enough, but as mentioned here he was very conservative with the exception of a few unsuccessful long balls.

That was one of the ugliest matches I've seen all season- I was very tempted to turn it off but had nothing better to do.

Reid looks useful enough but he seems quite limited going forward- more limited than I remembered him being.

It may be a case of not being fully match fit yet, or not fully recovered from injury, but if he is fully recovered and this is all we've got, he's gone from a box-to-box midfielder to what is basically a faster Lee Carsley.

Stuttgart88
15/01/2008, 8:05 AM
I got the impression he was playing within himself, maybe under orders to stay deeper.

geysir
15/01/2008, 8:37 AM
Reid looks useful enough but he seems quite limited going forward- more limited than I remembered him being.
It may be a case of not being fully match fit yet, or not fully recovered from injury, but if he is fully recovered and this is all we've got, he's gone from a box-to-box midfielder to what is basically a faster Lee Carsley.

A faster Lee Carsley :D
we could use that to good effect though.

Credit to him for being able to get back out there with the first team.
By the time it will take him to get match fit and a fully fit body he will get injured again.
During the time he is fit, Andy Reid will be injured.
Anyone talking of a Reid Reid CM is in a cloud cuckoo land.

RogerMilla
15/01/2008, 9:35 AM
Anyone talking of a Reid Reid CM is in a cloud cuckoo land.

a Reid Reid CM should be the future of the Irish team , sadly they are two feckin sicknotes and we may never get the chance to pair them regularly

dr_peepee
15/01/2008, 10:13 AM
I got the impression he was playing within himself, maybe under orders to stay deeper.

He's been playing within himself for the last few years IMO.. He seems too bound by tactical responsibilities and the fear of messing up at this level... I remember watching him for Ireland and Millwall (obv on tele) in his early days when he was just let of his leash and was quality. I seen it only occasionaly for Blackburn the season before last during his good run but all in too conservative. I'd like to see a game with Blackburn 3 nil down with 30 minutes to go and have him just say "f'ck it", and go hell for leather and let his natural game take over. He has all the attributes to be a poor mans Gerrard..

Stuttgart88
15/01/2008, 10:26 AM
He has all the attributes to be a poor mans Gerrard..I've always thought he's Gerrard without the self-belief.

citizenerased
15/01/2008, 10:39 AM
or the hollywood passes...

eirebhoy
11/02/2008, 8:57 PM
I watched the 2nd half tonight and really liked the look of Reid. His distribution wasn't great but his positional sense and movement was fantastic. I don't know if so long watching on from the sidelines has helped him in that regard but he was always moving into positions to receive a pass. He looked really confident too and was constantly putting his hands out for a pass.

I'm really excited about this bunch of players now. We could play some superb football with Steven, Andy Reid, Ireland, Duff, McGeady and Keane linking up.

Stuttgart88
11/02/2008, 9:09 PM
I was embarassed for Reid (and his teammates too in fairness) in the first 15 minutes tonight but thereafter I thought he was superb. Blackburn really took on Arsenal at their own game tonight and just didn't have the quality upfront to make all their possession count. Reid's composure on the ball was a major part of their strong showing.

He rarely tried anything flash but was regularly on the ball and made a lot of passes, always bringing his team mates into play. He protected the ball well, was aware of whether he had time or not and rarely turned into trouble. He has the mobility to get around the pitch too. He looked far more convincing than Gilberto for example.

Very encouraging, concur totally with eirebhoy.

RivaldoBabb
11/02/2008, 11:16 PM
I'm really excited about this bunch of players now. We could play some superb football with Steven, Andy Reid, Ireland, Duff, McGeady and Keane linking up.

Absolutely. I have always been excited about a McGeady, S Reid, A Reid, Duff midfield combination, problem is only McGeady in this four can play a few games in a row without ending up on the treatment table.

If we are to qualify then these four need to play most of the games, I dont think the backup players are up to it.

elroy
12/02/2008, 8:22 AM
Didnt see the game but good to hear. The guy is only just back from injury a few weeks so really expected it to take him a good while to get back upto speed. Hopefully if he has an injury free run till the end of the season, he'll be in top form by the time the qualifiers come around.

dr_peepee
12/02/2008, 10:27 AM
Absolutely. I have always been excited about a McGeady, S Reid, A Reid, Duff midfield combination, problem is only McGeady in this four can play a few games in a row without ending up on the treatment table.

If we are to qualify then these four need to play most of the games, I dont think the backup players are up to it.

I can't wait to see them together too.. I still think we'd need a fifth midfeilder with them four though...

Dr. Ogba
12/02/2008, 10:32 AM
I can't wait to see them together too.. I still think we'd need a fifth midfeilder with them four though...

Ditto, I think Carsley prob has one more campaign in him so he could anchor that midfield and let the more creative lads to their stuff...

eirebhoy
12/02/2008, 11:25 AM
I really think the 2 Reid's would make an excellent partnership with no need for Carsley. They're both intelligent players who'll know what positions to hold on the pitch. Andy Reid got a bit angry when his fitness was questioned again recently.

shakermaker1982
12/02/2008, 11:40 AM
I really think the 2 Reid's would make an excellent partnership with no need for Carsley. They're both intelligent players who'll know what positions to hold on the pitch. Andy Reid got a bit angry when his fitness was questioned again recently.

I agree, Carsley should only be used as a last resort. I'd rather give Garvan a chance than the balded one if I'm being honest.

harpstilidie
12/02/2008, 12:21 PM
I miss matty holland! :)

dr_peepee
12/02/2008, 3:31 PM

It's about context. I don't think we'd get away with it with the two Reids flanked by Duff and McGeady as mentioned in the earlier post.. Just my opinion but if we're intent on playing the two Reids together I think we'd have to sacrifice one of our more "silkier" widemen . Andy Reids better performances for Ireland are always when surrounded by more than one "water carrier" in the middle.

elroy
25/02/2008, 8:47 AM
Dont think it was mentioned earlier in this thread but never realised Reid was captain (or at least stand in captain) at blackburn. Captained the team yesterday in their win over Bolton - good to see!

eirebhoy
25/02/2008, 9:18 AM
Got voted 2nd best player on the pitch in the fantasy football. His partner Dunn got motm having set up 3 of the goals. Back to the attacking midfield of Bentley, Reid, Dunn and Pedersen.

Condex
25/02/2008, 9:25 AM
Reid played well..

But Andy O'Brien got turned a bit to easily for the last goal...

mackannovic
25/02/2008, 11:43 AM
I miss matty holland! :)

A nothing player.

carloz
25/02/2008, 3:21 PM
A nothing player.

Gd i hate comments like this. Matt was an excellent player for us and always did an excellent job for us. Just for his two goals away to Portugal and in the
World Cup against Cameroon he deserves some bloody respect.

jmurphyc
25/02/2008, 3:22 PM
A nothing player.

Are you Eamon Dunphy?

Seagull-4-life
25/02/2008, 3:34 PM
I like Stevie Reid...he's a good player and he always gives his all...if he can stay injury free i think he'll be a big part of trapattoni's plans...him and ireland together in midfield anyone???

jmurphyc
25/02/2008, 3:37 PM
Ireland and Reid alone together in midfield would get completely overrun. If that is the central midfield line up we'll have a difficult job of qualifying. I very much doubt that Trapattoni will try them together on their own.

Seagull-4-life
25/02/2008, 3:41 PM
Ireland and Reid alone together in midfield would get completely overrun. If that is the central midfield line up we'll have a difficult job of qualifying. I very much doubt that Trapattoni will try them together on their own.
Reid would certainly be able to handle himself. What's the alternative Carsley will be 35 come the world cup so i'd say he'll be gone before long

jmurphyc
25/02/2008, 3:44 PM
Reid would certainly be able to handle himself. What's the alternative Carsley will be 35 come the world cup so i'd say he'll be gone before long

Ireland cannot be used in a 2 man central midfield. I've said this many times before. The best place for him IMO is in an advanced role behind the striker. We used him and Carsley together in central midfield away to Slovakia and Carsley had to do the impossible job of 2 players. Whenever he's played for us so far he's offered **** all defensively.

Morbo
25/02/2008, 3:57 PM
True playing Ireland in a 2 man central midfield is suicidal, you either got to play him in an advanced role like you said or you could put him on the right but that would only work if you got a good RB who can overlap and allow Ireland to cut inside but with Finnans retirement that isn't really an option anymore

Stuttgart88
25/02/2008, 5:37 PM
I'd be very surprised if we see the ROI playing a classic 4-4-2 in the medium term. I'd also be very surprised it Steven Reid doesn't feature very frequently if he stays fit. He could play very comfortably as one of the 2 in a 4-2-3-1 or as one of the 3 in a 4-3-3 or variation thereof.

dr_peepee
25/02/2008, 6:58 PM
And as for the topic, I think right this minute Steven Reid is on the bench for me. A midfield of Duff, McGeady, Carsley, Andy Reid and Keane further up would do nicely.

Ireland as first choice replacement, S.Reid as second choice.

Sorry man, but that midfeild'd get p!ssed on....

eirebhoy
25/02/2008, 7:12 PM
You're pretty adamant on that point dr. :) I don't think David Dunn is any better than Andy Reid defensively and Blackburn's 2 wide players are obviously very attacking. Ciaran has even gone more defensive than that with Carsley, A.Reid and Ireland in midfield. I really can't see how that could be too attacking. A.Reid is as attacking as Andrea Pirlo. If you play him in the centre he'll sit deep and dictate the play.

Our difference of opinion seems to be with A.Reid. You see him as an attacker, I see him as a central midfielder. I'd be pretty certain if he was playing in Italy he'd be playing as a deep lying playmaker.

Stuttgart88
25/02/2008, 8:53 PM
Or as an advanced playmaker.

I'm very much on the doctor's side on this one, that midfield would get hammered. Admittedly it's not dissimilar to the midfield that did well at home to Germany but I really think Carsley's limitations as a central midfielder were shown up against Brazil. This has nothing whatsoever to do with his age, just his ability - great at getting stuck in but he hasn't got the passing (though I hear he put in a super cross for everton's second goal tonight).

Carsley IS in great form for Everton, but look at the system they play. He's the anchor that sets up the attacking axis of Arteta & Cahill. Carsley can definitely play a role in Ireland's first XI but given the lack of physicality of any of our other credible CM options I really doubt it'd be part of a 4-4-2, or certainly not a 4-4-2 with Duff & McGeady as the wide players (or Ireland). I thought everyone was agreed as to where the current team is at its worst - central midfield.

eirebhoy
26/02/2008, 8:00 AM
Yeh Carsley was excellent for Everton yesterday. Easily their best midfield player. He played the Gattuso role running all over the pitch with Neville holding midfield.

Anyway, for me Reid and Reid would walk into the team.

dr_peepee
26/02/2008, 10:33 AM
Our difference of opinion seems to be with A.Reid. You see him as an attacker, I see him as a central midfielder. I'd be pretty certain if he was playing in Italy he'd be playing as a deep lying playmaker.

I see Andy Reid as an excellent midfield playmaker, that hasn't got a great engine or physique, and isn't stable defensively...That has to be compensated for, esp if we're trying to include Duff and McGeady..

geysir
26/02/2008, 10:49 AM
Two good full backs would help.