PDA

View Full Version : "We molested football tonight"

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

el punter
01/05/2007, 11:28 AM
Well ladies and gentlemen we have another contender for finest ever League of Ireland interview as Joe Gamble gave one of the strangest post match utterances I've ever heard. Was this a slip of the tongue or some bizarre Corkism?

It's got to be up there with Ridden Rock Solid and the Stuey Byrne title winning tirade.

I LOVE THIS LEAGUE :)

superfrank
01/05/2007, 11:31 AM
I haven't a clue what he's trying to say. Is he saying they were so good that they "raped" football as others would say?

galwayhoop
01/05/2007, 11:32 AM
it was a strange one alright. he was not a happy man during the interview!

Jerry The Saint
01/05/2007, 11:37 AM
Well ladies and gentlemen we have another contender for finest ever League of Ireland interview as Joe Gamble gave one of the strangest post match utterances I've ever heard. Was this a slip of the tongue or some bizarre Corkism?

It's got to be up there with Ridden Rock Solid and the Stuey Byrne title winning tirade.

I LOVE THIS LEAGUE

I thought he said that but didn't want to comment in case he said something else and it raised a whole lot of other issues of why I imagined him saying it. :eek:

Glad to have confirmation now. :D

Didn't he also say that anyone who knows anything about football will know that Linfield didn't win the game? Can we expect Cork to take this up with FIFA and be allowed into the final on the basis that they would have won on points if football was judged like boxing:confused:

superfrank
01/05/2007, 11:39 AM
Didn't he also say that anyone who knows anything about football will know that Linfield didn't win the game?
Just sounds a bit bitter to me. Understandably so but there's still a limit you know. He could at least be a bit more gracious in defeat.

I haven't seen the interview so not sure exactly what was said but if this is true he needs to grow up and be a proper professional.

el punter
01/05/2007, 11:39 AM
I thought he said that but didn't want to comment in case he said something else and it raised a whole lot of other issues of why I imagined him saying it. :eek:

Glad to have confirmation now. :D

Yeah, I had to play back the Sky+ a few times to make sure I heard it right!

harry crumb
01/05/2007, 11:45 AM
Just sounds a bit bitter to me. Understandably so but there's still a limit you know. He could at least be a bit more gracious in defeat.

I haven't seen the interview so not sure exactly what was said but if this is true he needs to grow up and be a proper professional.

Would you prefer usual spiel with usual cliches?

Showed some honesty and just told us what we already knew.

JC_GUFC
01/05/2007, 11:50 AM
Would you prefer usual spiel with usual cliches?

What? That even though Linfield won the match they shouldn't be in the final?!

He seemed to blame Denis Behan more for missing chances than for the fu** up he made for the goal!

Typical Cork whinging, I saw one of the foot.ie regulars on the TV a few times, no doubt he's coming up with an excuse... One that could be used is "The players were confused by the different speed limits/traffic light systems on the way up to the match"

Steve Bruce
01/05/2007, 11:50 AM
Gamble should realise these things happen.

Liverpool played Man Utd off the park the whole match then O'Shea came up with the winner.

It was exactly what happened last night. And that is the difference between a good team and a championship winning team.

If you have any ambitions of winning the league, you have to be able to win ugly and Linfield did just that.

superfrank
01/05/2007, 11:51 AM
Yeah but he should have some balls and get on with it. Instead of whinging on national telly.

It's like the whole moral victory bull that goes on. There's no such thing, imo. Players should realise that and cop on.

el punter
01/05/2007, 11:52 AM
He seemed to blame Denis Behan more for missing chances than for the fu** up he made for the goal!

It's a bit of a shambles alright giving the man of the match award to someone who just gave away the winning goal. I'd say Gamble felt like hopping the stupid trophy off Milo's permed barnet.

superfrank
01/05/2007, 11:59 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/irish/6611125.stm

DJ's not a happy man.

NY Hoop
01/05/2007, 12:00 PM
Didnt see interview but saw him goading the Drogheda fans after scoring up there. Lacks a bit of class and cop on there.

KOH

Celdrog
01/05/2007, 12:23 PM
Didnt see interview but saw him goading the Drogheda fans after scoring up there. Lacks a bit of class and cop on there.
KOH
That was Roy O'Donovan

pete
01/05/2007, 12:31 PM

Can't disagree with the comments but that was O'Donovan.

Not seen the interview but I think live tv interviews straight after matches is new to eL players especially after such big games. Gamble is probably not the greatest communicator & a bit too honest. He ran the game for 90 minutes & made one crucial feck up.

Risteard
01/05/2007, 1:03 PM
Can we expect Cork to take this up with FIFA and be allowed into the final on the basis that they would have won on points if football was judged like boxing:confused:
Nah, will never happen.

BohsPartisan
01/05/2007, 1:07 PM
"We molested football tonight"

Maybe its like when Ronaldo (the real one) was in those adds saying "I Kiss Football", Gamble wanted to tranlate that into Corkeese?

Jerry The Saint
01/05/2007, 1:07 PM
Nah, will never happen.

Ridden again. :(

Risteard
01/05/2007, 1:10 PM
I saw one of the foot.ie regulars on the TV a few times, no doubt he's coming up with an excuse... One that could be used is "The players were confused by the different speed limits/traffic light systems on the way up to the match"
Again, highly unlikely.
That would be ridiculous.

NY Hoop
01/05/2007, 1:44 PM
Can't disagree with the comments but that was O'Donovan.

Not seen the interview but I think live tv interviews straight after matches is new to eL players especially after such big games. Gamble is probably not the greatest communicator & a bit too honest. He ran the game for 90 minutes & made one crucial feck up.

Apologies. You see one langer you see them all:D

KOH

Burnsie
01/05/2007, 2:20 PM
can someone explain where ridden rock solid came from please?

Jerry The Saint
01/05/2007, 2:27 PM
can someone explain where ridden rock solid came from please?

We're being shagged by Dublin. We're being ridden rock solid...

http://foot.ie/showthread.php?t=36139&highlight=%22ridden+rock+solid%22 :D

Legendary Red FM (?) interview last season. Can't seem to find the audio link - it was at http://homepage.eircom.net/~drogvideos/richardson127.mp3 (http://corktrophycentre.com/audios/richardson127.mp3) - anyone still have it?

Dodge
01/05/2007, 2:28 PM
Ironically enough, it happened when a referee from Waterford sent off a player from Cork in Longford. Afterwards the Dubliner who manages Cork claimed that everybody was out to stop Cork and once again they'd be "ridden rock solid" fueling the minds of those from the people's republic that us jackeens would do anything to stop them.

Last year Cork finished up qualifying for the intertoto behind the jackeens of Drogheda Utd and Derry City

Soper
01/05/2007, 2:29 PM
I thought that some people believed the phrase to have originated in Cork B.C., where it was used to describe the treatment dished out by corkonias arch rivals and long time financial suppressors, the Dubliniov saxonists, who enjoy morris dancing and gaa?

Burnsie
01/05/2007, 2:29 PM
holy moses. the chip on their collective shoulder must have a chip on its shoulder

BohsFans
01/05/2007, 2:33 PM
Last year Cork finished up qualifying for the intertoto behind the jackeens of Drogheda Utd and Derry City

:D

very good Dodge :D

Jerry The Saint
01/05/2007, 2:37 PM
Genius, visionary post from Superhoops (all of 11 months ago)

http://foot.ie/showpost.php?p=483235&postcount=108

So, FIFA are also in on this anti-Cork conspiracy!

:eek:

Jaime
01/05/2007, 2:55 PM
It was some rant alright, definitely shows a lack of discipline and maturity though. A recurring theme in Rico's teams?

Gamble obviously felt he had carte blanche to drive a tourist bus through all sense of media decorum. :)

passerrby
01/05/2007, 3:07 PM
clubs are required to have both manager and one player available for interview after matches ...now given the average intelligence of your footballers this is not a great move so clubs should sign at least one player with a smattering of English (ie no from cork) and an bit of ability in PR (again not from cork) to deal with the media someone who does not feel the world is riding his club rock solid.
p.s. i think his main point was that cork deserved something out of the game and is not far wrong

Tis-smeee
01/05/2007, 4:24 PM
Ironically enough, it happened when a referee from Waterford sent off a player from Cork in Longford. Afterwards the Dubliner who manages Cork claimed that everybody was out to stop Cork and once again they'd be "ridden rock solid" fueling the minds of those from the people's republic that us jackeens would do anything to stop them.

Waterford dont have any refs in the league anymore, dont think we had one last year

BohsFans
01/05/2007, 4:25 PM
Waterford dont have any refs in the league anymore, dont think we had one last year

It was Dave McKeon, who's from Dublin.

Celdrog
01/05/2007, 4:29 PM
Thanks to Derry beating the Dubs of St. Pats in the FAI cup final :D

Good one Dodge

Da Real Rover
01/05/2007, 7:10 PM
I think quotes like this should be embraced, they are highly entertaining, honest and actually give us an insight into the players opinions. Is that not why there is a micro phone infront of them, or do we all want to hear the same cliched bullsh!t from every player??

Dodge
01/05/2007, 7:13 PM
Where has anybody done anything but embrace his comments?

EireBadBoy
01/05/2007, 11:39 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/irish/6611125.stm

DJ's not a happy man.

Win, lose or draw he never is. "We have learnt how to be gracious." I'd like to see some examples!!

passerrby
02/05/2007, 9:14 AM
Player + mike = **** up

Steve Bruce
02/05/2007, 9:45 AM
Player + mike = **** up

What did Mike do:confused: :D

A face
02/05/2007, 11:44 AM

Come off it now Dodge, everyone knows that Derry are not jackeens !! ;)

Steve Bruce
02/05/2007, 11:49 AM
Win, lose or draw he never is. "We have learnt how to be gracious." I'd like to see some examples!!

If I remember correctly he applauded Drogheda and wished them luck last season in the final against Cork when they beat us. I don't think our manager came up with some excuses or tried to take anything away from Drogs victory.

At least when we lose we are big enough to accept it without crying about it too much. The Bluemen are also big enough to accept that we where well well below par and where lucky to come away with a win.

It is one of them things in football and I think Cork City should stop acting the micky mouse and start showing a bit of professionalism.

micls
02/05/2007, 12:58 PM
If I remember correctly he applauded Drogheda and wished them luck last season in the final against Cork when they beat us. I don't think our manager came up with some excuses or tried to take anything away from Drogs victory.

At least when we lose we are big enough to accept it without crying about it too much. The Bluemen are also big enough to accept that we where well well below par and where lucky to come away with a win.

It is one of them things in football and I think Cork City should stop acting the micky mouse and start showing a bit of professionalism.

Eh thats cos Drogs played you off the pitch when they won...not the other way around.
Its a lot easier to be gracious when you didnt dominate the game.

Saying that the comments serve no purpose so he should have kept them to himself. But it was in the heat of the moment and understandable IMO....nothing compared to what i would have said had I been interviewed at that minute :D

Sniffer
02/05/2007, 1:23 PM
Joe Gamble had just come off the pitch, adrenaline still pumping and he was asked for his opinioin on the game. His response was not a considered one, as he did not have time to consider it. Ask him the same question now and you'll get the usual bland s***e. What happened was a mediaman's wet dream realised, and it should be taken in the context of the situation in which the interview was given. Stop molesting Joe today!:)

Pablo
02/05/2007, 3:42 PM
I though he meant that we molested Linfield! As in played them off the park!

Strange choice of words alright though!

headtheball
02/05/2007, 3:52 PM
Joe Gamble had just come off the pitch, adrenaline still pumping and he was asked for his opinioin on the game. His response was not a considered one, as he did not have time to consider it. Ask him the same question now and you'll get the usual bland s***e. What happened was a mediaman's wet dream realised, and it should be taken in the context of the situation in which the interview was given. Stop molesting Joe today!:)

I agree, the fella just came of the pitch absolutely gutted and was told as he had to do an interview. Fair play to Joe as he didn't say the usual patronising crap you hear after games. I remember Setanta interviewed Paddy Mccourt on the pitch moments after the penalty shoot out against Shels in the league cup final, and Paddy swore a couple of times as he really hadn't time to compose himself as he was so pumped up.

pete
02/05/2007, 5:46 PM
I am only going on the quotes but I don't think Joe Gamble has insulted anyone as he spoke the truth & its hard to disagree with him. I would be interested to hear the last time that Linfield were outplayed so much on their home ground. If it was a boxing match it would be one where Linfield get the s*it kicked out of them before the opponent tripped over his own laces & knocked himself out.

David Jeffreys:

"The supporters were our 12th man. When the players were out on their feet they urged them on and on." :eek: :rolleyes:

The home supporters cheered a few corners like they goals & barely a wimper out of them all night. Just compare the noise when they scored with the previous 85 minutes.

A bit of rivalry is what the Setanta is badly lacking anyway so maybe this will help it.

I am getting bored of the "those eL sides are all fulltime" excuses from the IL sides.

blueman1886
02/05/2007, 5:55 PM
Eh thats cos Drogs played you off the pitch when they won...
Lol yeah right? Drogs came and counter attacked we actually had all the possesion and play,just like cork the other night. saying that cork didnt even look like scoring only a few times when our defence made mistakes and let them in,their finishing is poor.. we also had a few chances of our own few free headers which could of easy been converted?

I thought Derry city was bad but these cork clowns think they're Barcelona ffs.

EireBadBoy
02/05/2007, 10:16 PM

Balls, you don't even know what gracious is.

Your manager has no decorum, moans more than ANY EL manager I've ever had the misfortune to hear or read after a match and I imagine he thinks that it's all 'spin' for the media the one wee bit of limelight your club gets in the Setanta each year.

After every game this season Linfield fans can't see any failings in either team or management and deride any supporter or employee of the opppsosition team for begging to differ - that is not gracious in fact it's the direct opposite.

If Linfield win the Setanta, fair play, I'll just be glad it's over so I can get on with enjoying my season, because wether the form Derry City have had so far continues or not at least I won't have to read/listen to DJ or the same deluded nonsense from fans that know nothing but pig arrogance. I reckon it comes from winning a non competitive league a zillion times and a couple of Antrim Shields.

Now, back to the decent football fans...

EireBadBoy
02/05/2007, 10:16 PM
Lol yeah right? Drogs came and counter attacked we actually had all the possesion and play,just like cork the other night. saying that cork didnt even look like scoring only a few times when our defence made mistakes and let them in,their finishing is poor.. we also had a few chances of our own few free headers which could of easy been converted?

I thought Derry city was bad but these cork clowns think they're Barcelona ffs.

See.....

Read above, thanks for the example.

I am getting bored of the "those eL sides are all fulltime" excuses from the IL sides.

Me and you both. It's like some sort of mantra. If it's so unfair, don't enter next year.
Maybe that is the graciousness they are talking about, giving EL clubs plaudits for professionalism - nope, they just moan, whinge and bitch about it.

ndrog
02/05/2007, 10:50 PM
Come off it now Dodge, everyone knows that Derry are not jackeens !! ;)

and everyone knows that drogs are into the final of the setanta cup 2 years running ;) Lovely ...

GavinZac
03/05/2007, 12:00 AM
and everyone knows that drogs are into the final of the setanta cup 2 years running ;) Lovely ...
Very good at getting to cup finals... ye're reminding me of Longford a few years ago, more and more every day.

Steve Bruce
03/05/2007, 8:36 AM
Balls, you don't even know what gracious is.

Your manager has no decorum, moans more than ANY EL manager I've ever had the misfortune to hear or read after a match and I imagine he thinks that it's all 'spin' for the media the one wee bit of limelight your club gets in the Setanta each year.

After every game this season Linfield fans can't see any failings in either team or management and deride any supporter or employee of the opppsosition team for begging to differ - that is not gracious in fact it's the direct opposite.

If Linfield win the Setanta, fair play, I'll just be glad it's over so I can get on with enjoying my season, because wether the form Derry City have had so far continues or not at least I won't have to read/listen to DJ or the same deluded nonsense from fans that know nothing but pig arrogance. I reckon it comes from winning a non competitive league a zillion times and a couple of Antrim Shields.

Now, back to the decent football fans...

Would you like a bit of Salt and pepper for that big chip on that shoulder of yours.