Cork 1 up O Brien 4 minutes.

kdjac

kdjaC
16/04/2007, 7:04 PM
100 total at the pats match :p

kdjac

harry crumb
16/04/2007, 7:16 PM
Cork City look way superior to Dungannon.

harry crumb
16/04/2007, 7:37 PM
How poor are the teams in the lower half of the league?

pete
16/04/2007, 7:39 PM
City have few kids playing but I suspect Dungannon also resting players. Its like a training match.

harry crumb
16/04/2007, 7:47 PM
Think Glentoran and Portadown have been awful. Especially Glentoran's attitude as a club as a whole has been disheartening.

Think Dungannon have played some good football at times

kdjaC
16/04/2007, 7:54 PM
1-0 Pats Lynch

:)

kdjac

Tis-smeee
16/04/2007, 7:57 PM
There is a future of course how insulting to the northern teams that attitude, I think it can only force an improvement in the Northern teams and soccer as a whole on the Island can improve as a result

kdjaC
16/04/2007, 8:03 PM
There is a future of course how insulting to the northern teams that attitude, I think it can only force an improvement in the Northern teams and soccer as a whole on the Island can improve as a result

How do you figure that? I would be fairly sure that the 4 irish teams will get one player who is better than what they have in July (Pats already have) how can the NI teams compete if we strive to improve constantly.

And do you believe they will improve enough to compete with possibly any 4 from:

Drogs
Cork
Bohs
Pats
Rovers
Derry
Dundalk .....lol

Next season? Rovers would be only one i would be sure wont buy but Scully will find another player that fits his team in july.

kdjac

kdjaC
16/04/2007, 8:06 PM
2-0 pats O Connor

kdjac

kdjaC
16/04/2007, 8:07 PM
clarke saves peno :D

kdjac

Aaron
16/04/2007, 8:09 PM
I dount this competition will last. Apart from Linfield, there is no competition. OK the Glens beat us but we were playing awful. The IL IMO dosnt have an interest in the competition

Tis-smeee
16/04/2007, 8:10 PM
how can the NI teams compete if we strive to improve constantly

kdjac

So your saying the Northern teams will just throw in the towel and say fair enough lets take the beating each season, Surely they will also try and improve be it with players in the summer or whatever, and surely the setanta cup money goes someway to redressing the balance

GavinZac
16/04/2007, 8:12 PM
2-0 pats O Connor

kdjac

only two? mediocre :p

kdjaC
16/04/2007, 8:13 PM
Why isnt aertel updating the pats score?

bbc is bang on

kdjac

Aaron
16/04/2007, 8:13 PM
So your saying the Northern teams will just throw in the towel and say fair enough lets take the beating each season, Surely they will also try and improve be it with players in the summer or whatever, and surely the setanta cup money goes someway to redressing the balance

No they wont throw in the towel, its all down to one thing, their ****e!!

GavinZac
16/04/2007, 8:14 PM

€30 grand does not go anywhere toward providing funds to catch up, and attendances have been poor. more importantly, it doesnt provide much credibility or interest, and setanta will be slow to renew its sponsorship of an all ireland competition after the 5 years is up.

kdjaC

3-0

O Connor again

loads of time :D

kdjac

TonyD

AHEM - Dungannon pull one back. Hee Hee :D

GavinZac
16/04/2007, 8:16 PM
AHEM - Dungannon pull one back. Hee Hee :D

Typical City - anything to keep the fans entertained, no wonder we provide the best product! :D I wont be surprised if we give them the game, in an attempt to save the competition :p

harry crumb
16/04/2007, 8:18 PM
Remember watching the BBC NI Sports programme one night and it had an IFA official and a local journalist and they both rejected the idea of an all Ireland league.

Backward, Depressing and Pathetic.

Like our league only a few short years ago.

kdjaC
16/04/2007, 8:27 PM
Why isnt aertel updating the pats score?

bbc is bang on

kdjac

Rte catch up from 0-0 with 5 to go too 3-0 with goal scored nearly 40 minutes ago.

kdjac

kdjaC
16/04/2007, 8:28 PM
Kildare UCD gone into ET

kdjac

pete
16/04/2007, 8:59 PM
I think we were unable to get out of first gear when at 2-1. O'Donovan booking was idiotic. :mad:

Dungannon have done well in the competition but aside from the first season Portadown have been pathetic. FFS i think only 250 at Cork City game & 100 tonight. Is there any wonder Setanta won't do live tv games from Shamrock Park... Maybe there should be minimum crowd requirement?

kdjaC
16/04/2007, 9:17 PM
Sean O'Connor scored a brace as Portadown ended their miserable Setanta Cup Group Two campaign by losing 3-0 to St Pat's at Shamrock Park on Monday.

Eamonn Lynch netted the opener after 52 minutes and O'Connor grabbed his first on 62 before Brendan Clarke saved a Marc McCann penalty soon after.

The Ports were made to pay as O'Connor scored again in the 76th minute.

St Pat's ended on top of the group and will have a home draw in the semi-final against the Group One runners-up.

BBC match report.

kdjac

kdjaC
16/04/2007, 9:18 PM
UCD won on penos.

kdjac

Saint MacDara
16/04/2007, 10:54 PM
Cork 2 - 1 Dungannon
Not very impressive,Cork stumbling over the finishing line!

RedX
16/04/2007, 10:57 PM
Cork 2 - 1 Dungannon

We won....;)

Steve Bruce
17/04/2007, 10:01 AM
To be fair, the LOI has shown the IL up this year, I will give you that.

But one thing I can say is, the IL is experiancing a lull at the moment. Glentoran are a terrible side as are Portadown. Dungannon are a decent side but no punch up front.

Next season you will see Cliftonville in the Setanta replacing either Dungannon or Portadown.

Cliftonville are the best team Linfield has faced this season, they gave us a good royal hammering on the first day of the league season 3-0.

I would expect Cliftonville to beat LOI teams as often as LOI teams would beat Cliftonville.

Linfield will obviously still be a force as always.

Glentoran WILL be better next season. They are going through a stage at the moment where they have too many passangers and only a few good players. There will be a big clear out in the summer and they will pick up better players.

I will also say another thing, our league has 16 teams. Our pool of players is a small pool and when it is spread out to 16 teams, very average players who shouldn't be in the league come into these teams.

The season after next the league will go down to 10 or 12 teams. This on it's own will make the league more competitive as the rubbish players will be relegated and there is less teams to share a pool of the better players.

I would give it 3 years and IL teams will be competing pretty well with LOI teams.

Linfield and Cliftonville are by far and away better than the rest of the league. The reason it looks so tight is because there are so many bad teams that any team with a bit of talent could go on a big run.

ifk101
17/04/2007, 10:30 AM
I would give it 3 years and IL teams will be competing pretty well with LOI teams.

That's assuming the LOI doesn't improve in the meantime and the setanta cup is still around in three years time ....

I'm not trying to take a dig at the IL but LOI clubs will continue "to show the IL up" if the competition continues simply because the LOI is much further down the professionalism road than what the IL is.

Poor Student
17/04/2007, 10:32 AM
Typical City - anything to keep the fans entertained, no wonder we provide the best product! :D

Well you are the longest lasting franchise team in Irish football.;)

paudie
17/04/2007, 10:39 AM
Cork 2 - 1 Dungannon

You could have said we stumbled over the finish line if we'd lost last night by 6 goals!!

GavinZac
17/04/2007, 10:41 AM
Well you are the longest last franchise team in Irish football.;)

And you are the only premier team to survive with as many fans as you could fit in a lecture hall! congrats :p

Poor Student
17/04/2007, 10:53 AM
And you are the only premier team to survive with as many fans as you could fit in a lecture hall! congrats :p

Collectively we're living Ronan Seery's dream.:D

Risteard
17/04/2007, 11:23 AM
Setanta guy wrote in the programme last night that they have signed up for 2009-2012.
Far more than 250 at the Cross last night.

Pablo
17/04/2007, 11:30 AM
Setanta guy wrote in the programme last night that they have signed up for 2009-2012.

less than a 1,000 though. 900 Max i would say.

To be expected i guess. A reserve team ina nothing match. Barely more than a training spin.

Risteard
17/04/2007, 11:40 AM
I thought there'd be less.
Was surprised at the Dungannon support.
Brought down a good few and made themselves heard.

TonyD
17/04/2007, 12:11 PM

I think the reference made earlier was to Portadown's home game with Cork.

pineapple stu
17/04/2007, 12:28 PM
Dunno - we have some pretty big lecture halls in UCD. It's not a crappy out of the way country college for those who can't afford the train fare to the big shmoke like UCC like. ;)

pete
17/04/2007, 1:57 PM
If the IL is experiencing a lull then I don't know what is happening to the eLOI with such an exodus to the UK in the close season.

I don't want to offend anyone but Portadown lost 6-0 & 11-0 on aggregate to St Pats & Cork City. At least Dungannon put up a fight. :rolleyes:

David
17/04/2007, 2:32 PM
No they wont throw in the towel, its all down to one thing, their ****e!!

This coming from a team that look like failing to qualify yet again this year and have been unable to beat Linfield in four attempts and have been beaten twice by a poor Glentoran team.

Steve Bruce
17/04/2007, 2:36 PM
If the IL is experiencing a lull then I don't know what is happening to the eLOI with such an exodus to the UK in the close season.

I don't want to offend anyone but Portadown lost 6-0 & 11-0 on aggregate to St Pats & Cork City. At least Dungannon put up a fight. :rolleyes:

I'll state the reasons why your league isn't in a lull and why our league is.

1) The support of the IL is shrinking on average
2) The league has 16 teams in a country that should have 10 teams - too many amatuerish setups.
3) The amount of quality players being produced in Northern Ireland has been reduced
4) Coverage of IL football is shrinking by the season
5) Facilities are crumbling
6) Only one club has any credibility in our league now.

Compare that to the LOI

1) Crowds are on the up on average
2) Fewer teams in the top division, makes competition a lot better
3) A lot of good players being produced by the LOI hence the amount going to Scotland and England
4) Coverage of LOI is getting better and better
5) Facilities are getting better
6) More clubs with credibility and pulling power

The fact that Scottish clubs and English clubs are signing your players is a testement of how well your league is going. Unfortunately few players in IL football get interest from across the water because the standard by and large is poor, even in comparison with the LOI. With Only Linfield being able to play and beat the top teams in the LOI.

Also on the 3 years to catch up thing.

I accept that the LOI will get better, but I do not and I think you would be foolish to believe that you will continue to get better at the same rate as you have in the last 5 years. Let's make no mistake about it, your standard has increased at a very rapid and steep rate. You will still get better I believe(and hope) but not at the same rate as you have been.

The IL however are even further behind than you where 5 years ago. But we seem to have good brains now at the top(Howard Wells) and I believe the IL will see a dramatic change in infrustructure and in 3 years the gap between us will be a lot closer. Whether we close the gap all together I don't know and probably say no, but I do believe we will have 3 or 4 teams in the IL that would be able to compete in the Setanta cup to a point where we could possibly have more than 1 qualify to the Semi's each year.

The Setanta cup has been a good exercise for IL football because it shows us how far we need to go to achieve a modest standard of football. Linfield aside the standard we have shown has been very limited.

It's also a good exercise for LOI teams because it's decent money and you get to have the likes of Linfield coming and achieving a bit of buzz about the towns.

Steve Bruce
17/04/2007, 2:36 PM
This coming from a team that look like failing to qualify yet again this year and have been unable to beat Linfield in four attempts and have been beaten twice by a poor Glentoran team.

How dare you question the European Giants of Irish football:p :D

OneRedArmy
17/04/2007, 2:47 PM
How dare you question the European Giants of Irish football:p :DLaugh you may, but at least our players manage to avoid scheduling a fortnight in the sun at the same time as European ties.

Your lot should try it some time (awaits reminder of Linfield qualifying for European Cup quarter finals back in God knows when).

Your minnowism was shown clearly in the Brandywell a few weeks back. Never has a draw been celebrated so uproariously.

Pathetic.

Jerry The Saint
17/04/2007, 2:55 PM
Never has a draw been celebrated so uproariously.

Not until last Friday night at Richmond anyway :)

Dodge
17/04/2007, 2:56 PM
Everybody celebrates coming from 2 goals down away to gain a draw. Everybody

David
17/04/2007, 2:59 PM
Everybody celebrates coming from 2 goals down away to gain a draw. Everybody

Exactly. 15 minutes left, 2-0 down. Imagine celebrating a draw. They have had one good run in Europe when they got to the first round proper and you would think they won the fecking Champions League. Yet again though they finish well behind Linfield in a Setanta group, will probably fail to qualify and were beat at home against the reserve team of a club who are only placed third in a league they continually ridicule.

Steve Bruce
17/04/2007, 3:01 PM
Laugh you may, but at least our players manage to avoid scheduling a fortnight in the sun at the same time as European ties.

Your lot should try it some time (awaits reminder of Linfield qualifying for European Cup quarter finals back in God knows when).

Your minnowism was shown clearly in the Brandywell a few weeks back. Never has a draw been celebrated so uproariously.

Pathetic.

Yeah how dare we celebrate from coming from 2 nil behind against full-time opposition who are from a superior league and more or less assuring that we qualified into the next round of the Setanta. Still undefeated by the European giants in 4 games.

Still hurting then:D

DCFC aha aha aha, aha aha aha, aha aha aha

Oh and enjoy your struggle in the league this year whilst I enjoy our 47th league triumph. :cool:

GavinZac
17/04/2007, 3:05 PM
I enjoy our 47th league triumph. :cool:
I can imagine the pride of such a record would be equivalent to that of Cork City's Munster Senior Cup triumphs.

David
17/04/2007, 3:11 PM
I can imagine the pride of such a record would be equivalent to that of Cork City's Munster Senior Cup triumphs.

Aye that would be right. :rolleyes: How did you do against Dungannon at Stangmore, a mid table team this season? By the way we beat them five down there.