View Full Version : Setanta Cup Tonight

Pages : [1] 2 3

Red&White
12/03/2007, 11:57 AM
All-EL affairs:

Monday, Mar 12

Group 1
Derry City v Drogheda United

Cork still await FIFA clearance for former Irish international midfielders Gareth Farrelly and Colin Healy while winger Liam Kearney is a doubt following Friday's defeat at Waterford with an ankle injury.

Central defender Brian O'Callaghan, who didn't feature at the RSC due to a groin strain, is expected to be fit for inclusion while striker John O'Flynn may start.

St Patrick's Athletic, who have no injury concerns following their 2-1 league win at Longford on Saturday night, remain confident of signing former Longford central defender Stephen Paisley.

Group 2
Cork City v St Patrick's Athletic

Striker Gary Beckett remains out for up to another fortnight with a pelvic problem as Derry City hope to build on their opening win at Glentoran two weeks ago against the holders at the Brandywell tonight.

Winger Killian Brennan is also unlikely to feature having sat out Friday's league win over Bray with an ankle injury.

Drogheda United hope to have Steven Gray fit following a thigh strain while fellow defender Jason Gavin and winger Richie Baker are avaialble following suspension.

Glen Fitzpatrick (ankle) is a doubt having shipped a knock in Friday's 0-0 draw at Bohemians. Tony Grant stands by to partner skipper Declan O'Brien in attack.

Not expecting a great game at the Brandywell tonight. From what I've seen so far both teams are a bit rusty so far, and can't see Drogheda going for it given the game's potential importance. So a defensively minded Drogheda against a Derry side who've not exactly been scoring loads lately. Would love a win obviously but can't see past a scoreless draw.

Cork-St. Pats looks like it could be a cracker. Haven't seen them play yet but by all accounts Pats sound like they're great to watch and quite attacking these days. I love their new look midfield as well. Cork always seem to play well at the Cross and need to bounce back quickly from Friday night. Really hard to call but I reckon 2-2 draw. Or Pats victory 2-1 :o

sam_belfast
12/03/2007, 4:45 PM
is tonights match all ticket or pay at gate

dcfcsteve
12/03/2007, 5:42 PM
is tonights match all ticket or pay at gate

which one ??

SRFC Head
12/03/2007, 6:29 PM
Pats game should be a cracker, Pats are a good 11/4 for the victory.

SRFC Head
12/03/2007, 7:38 PM
Sweetly struck goal for pats..

Dyl10
12/03/2007, 7:42 PM
My NTL is down, Can anyone shed some light on how the games are going?

Sonic
12/03/2007, 7:57 PM
nil nil ht in the derry drogs game and gary o neill scored for pats 1-0 ht

Olander
12/03/2007, 8:13 PM
2-0 pats Kirby with a cheeky lob

superblues
12/03/2007, 8:16 PM
All i need to hear now is that Mulcahy and Frosty nothched too to really rub it into us Waterford folks faces.

SRFC Head
12/03/2007, 8:26 PM
Sweet hopefully Pats will hold out and my PP account will be good for some horses tomorrow.

dancinpants
12/03/2007, 8:42 PM
FT Derry 0-0 Drogs

Olander
12/03/2007, 8:47 PM
2-1 O'Flynn

Olander
12/03/2007, 8:54 PM
3-1 O'Neill again with a pen

Saint Tom
12/03/2007, 9:03 PM
i have to say that we are looking very good so far. you would have to fancy us to make it four wins on the spin with waterford coming to inchicore on friday. O'neill and Kirby were outstanding tonight

Hibs4Ever
12/03/2007, 9:12 PM
Great result. Cork ain't up to much and will struggle this year.

That guy Softic looks woeful

No surprise to hear Drogs play another goalless bore

Raheny Red
12/03/2007, 9:12 PM
Have a few bob on O'Neill to be topscorer :cool:

Hibs4Ever
12/03/2007, 9:15 PM
Have a few bob on O'Neill to be topscorer :cool:

Same here. Got 10/1

Plus Saints to win group @ 11/4

Aaron
12/03/2007, 9:19 PM
I have never seen as much tripe before as i seen from Drogheda tonight. Defend is all they did from first whistle. They were awful. We looked like only team who were looking to win. Ref was poor also

davehey79
12/03/2007, 9:21 PM
i have to say that we are looking very good so far. you would have to fancy us to make it four wins on the spin with waterford coming to inchicore on friday. O'neill and Kirby were outstanding tonight

plus with paisley signed for ye things are lookin very good for ye at present.

eirebhoy
12/03/2007, 9:27 PM
Top class goal by Kirby. Ndo should have shot after that fabulous lay off by O'Neill. 3 fantastic signings by Pats. Anyone else taking advantage of the early odds on Pats so far? I'd still expect decent odds on them beating Waterford.

BohsPartisan
12/03/2007, 9:34 PM
Cork were poor alright. Never looked a threat. Pats were good. Ndo, Kirby and O'Neill were great.

ccfcgirl
12/03/2007, 9:44 PM
I thought Cork City played well tonight (much better than they did against Waterford)but didnt have enough shots on target Joey , Kearney and Ryan played well.Pity John O flynn didnt play from the start.I still think St Pats and City will come through the group.

DmanDmythDledge
12/03/2007, 10:10 PM
Pats were quality tonight. Second game in a row they won me some money!:D

A face
12/03/2007, 10:42 PM
Cork were poor alright. Never looked a threat. Pats were good. Ndo, Kirby and O'Neill were great.

There were chance for us alright but Pats do look good alright. Unreal signings for them alright.

BohsPartisan
12/03/2007, 10:49 PM
You seemed to be over-relying on Kearney. Your season will hinge on O Flynn staying injury free.

Red&White
12/03/2007, 10:58 PM
Are Drogheda tactics this year to bore the competition so much that they go to sleep? Dear God they're awful to watch!
Frustrating night in general, Derry were the better side, deserved a win although they had so many misplaced passes it was unbelievable. Mc Court was in another league and must have been frustrated by the rustiness shown at times by his team mates. Still an improvement on Friday's display however.
I honestly think Drogheda are an overrated team, but fear they could1-0 their way to the title this season. Look at Pats tonight- three goals away from home, Drogheda; admittedly had a couple of good chances but apart from that never really looked to attack.
If we don;t win the title this year, I only hope to God a footballing team does instead.

superblues
12/03/2007, 11:43 PM
If we don;t win the title this year, I only hope to God a footballing team does instead.

Thanks for that, good to know your wishing us the best as we steam role the league! ;) ;)

Beat Pats on Friday and we should be home and dry!!!:D

Sheridan
12/03/2007, 11:46 PM
Pat's were excellent tonight. I can't believe Gary O'Neill didn't get the MoM award, that was one of the best exhibitions of the forward's craft ever seen in League of Ireland football. By the end of this year, everyone will rate him as highly as I always have.

McDonnell must be the jammiest bastid in football. Don't get me wrong, I like the chap, but he could plausibly have been sacked five times over during the course of his tenure at St. Pat's. He rode it out, and then found himself (more through blind luck than judgement) with a top four-standard squad at his disposal, composed of quality players who wound up at Pat's simply because they had nowhere else in the civilised world to go. He's also hit upon Fahey's ideal position (the Pirlo role) serendipitously. They could go far.

Red&White
12/03/2007, 11:49 PM
Thanks for that, good to know your wishing us the best as we steam role the league!

Beat Pats on Friday and we should be home and dry!!!:D

My ANYONE but Drogheda campaign starts here.

he could plausibly have been sacked five times over during the course of his tenure at St. Pat's. He rode it out, and then found himself (more through blind luck than judgement) with a top four-standard squad at his disposal, composed of quality players who wound up at Pat's simply because they had nowhere else in the civilised world to go. He's also hit upon Fahey's ideal position (the Pirlo role) serendipitously. They could go far.[/
:D :D
They have a great midfield, they have N'do, they're scoring goals, they're good to watch. Don't forget they led the table or where thereabouts for the first third of last season before falling away. They could indeed go far, and while I'm only really judging this on the first few games of the season and pre-season, I wouldn't be surprised by a top three of Derry, Drogheda and St. Pats at the end of the season. Depends on Cork getting their act together, and St. Pats lasting the pace, something far easier said than done.

higgins
12/03/2007, 11:52 PM
O'Neill was a great signing for Pats but Ndo comes to you at a cost!! If it's anything like what I hear it is then you may be better off without him.

Cork letting in 3 goals at home ?
What use is the 350K now .....

You need to replace Alan as he was by far and away your best defender.

kdjaC
13/03/2007, 12:20 AM
We outplayed them by playing it on the ground, man of the match John O Flynn :confused: during his outstanding 15 minutes on the pitch only had scraps to feed off. Kearney played well but he was the only outlet for Cork as Behan really isnt very good.

This Setanta Cup thing is easy :D

kdjac

dcfcsteve
13/03/2007, 12:27 AM
This Setanta Cup thing is easy :D

A bit like the FAI Cup, eh......? :D ;)

Dodge
13/03/2007, 12:31 AM
Pat's were excellent tonight. I can't believe Gary O'Neill didn't get the MoM award, that was one of the best exhibitions of the forward's craft ever seen in League of Ireland football. By the end of this year, everyone will rate him as highly as I always have.

If its any use to you the travelling Pats fans were split between O'Neill, Kirby and Fahey.

I can't remember a more exciting Pats team

Dr.Nightdub
13/03/2007, 1:13 AM
Was surprised how weak Reading's feeder club were tonight, compared with what I'd expected. Loads of possession, plenty of energy from Kearney especially but no creativity and pretty blunt up front.

Love watching us these days though! :)

Soko
13/03/2007, 1:42 AM
We need a striker and right sided midfielder and I'll be happy. Hopefully we get Healy in soon enough as well. Not too worried about tonight, it seemed like a glorified pre-season game to be honest. Softic is brutal though

David
13/03/2007, 6:28 AM
Are Drogheda tactics this year to bore the competition so much that they go to sleep? Dear God they're awful to watch!
Frustrating night in general, Derry were the better side, deserved a win although they had so many misplaced passes it was unbelievable. Mc Court was in another league and must have been frustrated by the rustiness shown at times by his team mates. Still an improvement on Friday's display however.
I honestly think Drogheda are an overrated team, but fear they could1-0 their way to the title this season. Look at Pats tonight- three goals away from home, Drogheda; admittedly had a couple of good chances but apart from that never really looked to attack.

According to some on your forum, Derry's tactic were not exactly adventurous, playing only one up front. Do you think Pat will employ same tactics next week?

Krstic
13/03/2007, 7:55 AM
According to some on your forum, Derry's tactic were not exactly adventurous, playing only one up front. Do you think Pat will employ same tactics next week?

I don't think we had any tactics.
Just give it to McCourt and hope for the best.

BohsPartisan
13/03/2007, 8:04 AM
Hopefully we get Healy in soon enough as well. Not too worried about tonight, it seemed like a glorified pre-season game to be honest.

Boy those germans have a word for everything.

lofty9
13/03/2007, 8:35 AM

We only had one fit forward before the game and McHugh got injured after 25minutes, leaving us with none. I don't think Fenlon had any other choice to play one up front. Anyhow it was brutal to watch. Drogheda defended last night without breaking sweat. Doolin has them playing some tedious stuff though. Job done for them though. McCourt again is playing out of his skin, tackling and tracking back too. Just need the rest of the team to get on his wavelength. BTW that is twice I have seen that eejit Courtney refereeing and he is absolutely brutal.

David
13/03/2007, 8:43 AM
We only had one fit forward before the game and McHugh got injured after 25minutes, leaving us with none. I don't think Fenlon had any other choice to play one up front. Anyhow it was brutal to watch. Drogheda defended last night without breaking sweat. Doolin has them playing some tedious stuff though. Job done for them though. McCourt again is playing out of his skin, tackling and tracking back too. Just need the rest of the team to get on his wavelength. BTW that is twice I have seen that eejit Courtney refereeing and he is absolutely brutal.

Don't we know it. A bit strange Drogheda playing for a draw, one point from 2 games is not exactly a great return. They need a minimum of 4 points in the two games against the Glens and even then, if we beat you at Windsor and you beat us at Brandywell they will still be trailing and will need results away to us and at home to you.

chippie0001
13/03/2007, 9:10 AM
Pats were quality tonight. Second game in a row they won me some money!:D

Yeah the old Pats are becoming a bit of a cash cow, two wins for me in 3 days not bad going by them. As long as they keep playing to my gambling thats good, will start backing them to lose soon :eek:

Risteard
13/03/2007, 10:14 AM
Softic is brutal though
WTF?
What did he play? 10 minutes?
Won a good few headers in that time aswell.

He's only 19 and has much better prospects than a few of the other "under-21s" about.

Dodge
13/03/2007, 10:17 AM
WTF?
What did he play? 10 minutes?
Won a good few headers in that time aswell.

He lost more headers against tiny John Frost than he won. Rubbish IMO

Steve Bruce
13/03/2007, 10:19 AM
What sort of crowds where at the two games last night?

WeAreRovers
13/03/2007, 10:19 AM
2 quality goals from Pats. With Cork being rubbish and Drogheda hyped beyond reason Pats could spring a surprise this year. Shame it'll all go tits up when Molloy returns and McDonnell drops O'Neill for him. :D

BTW Drogheda have now failed to score in 3 competitive games. :eek:

KOH

BohsPartisan
13/03/2007, 10:21 AM

KOH

Don't know if you meant it but your smiley looks like the average Drogheda scoreline! :D

Peadar
13/03/2007, 10:27 AM
One game into the league and already the dubs are claiming it's a done deal. Anyone would think this was your first eL season or something. Pats are drawing attention to themselves and will be lucky if they manage to last the pace until the summer.

Schumi
13/03/2007, 10:42 AM
Fingers crossed for 4.

wws
13/03/2007, 10:45 AM
One game into the league and already the dubs are claiming it's a done deal. Anyone would think this was your first eL season or something. Pats are drawing attention to themselves and will be lucky if they manage to last the pace until the summer.

giggle

theres more to come
three new signings on the way

all QWALITY

Krstic
13/03/2007, 10:49 AM
What sort of crowds where at the two games last night?

I would say about 3500 at the Brandywell. Give or take a few 100.