PDA

View Full Version : Roy O'Donovan: Official Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

pete
03/01/2007, 3:21 PM
Official Site (http://corkcityfc.ie/home.htm)

03 January 2007, 14:36 corkcityfc.ie
City Reject Southend Bid For O'Donovan
Cork City FC wish to confirm that they have rejected a bid from Southend United for striker Roy O’Donovan.

Chairman Brian Lennox said that the club does not wish to sell its best players and that O’Donovan is an important part of the club’s plans going forward.

O'Donovan ended the 2006 eircom League season as City's top scorer and received a 'B' international cap with the Republic of Ireland in November. He has been subject to much transfer speculation since the season ended and has been nominated for the FAI/eircom player of the year and the Soccer Writers Personality of the Year.

Risteard
03/01/2007, 9:52 PM
On his way some time soon i'd say. Seem to be going about things the right way though and Roy seems to have a good attitude about the whole thing.
If we REALLY weren't planning on selling him there'd be contract negotiations.

A face
03/01/2007, 10:02 PM
On his way some time soon i'd say. Seem to be going about things the right way though and Roy seems to have a good attitude about the whole thing.
If we REALLY weren't planning on selling him there'd be contract negotiations.

How do you know there aren't any ??

Risteard
03/01/2007, 11:15 PM
Did i say there wasn't? :p

A face
03/01/2007, 11:31 PM
Did i say there wasn't? :p

:p

Well the way the club are sticking to their guns i'd like to think they are looking at it. And Roys attitude is excellent from what i can see.

YankExile
03/01/2007, 11:37 PM
A bit new here, and new to the game in general. But as an American with ancestral ties to Cork, I just have to chip in to say it's good to see this little display of backbone. Roy isn't a player I'd enjoy losing.

higgins
03/01/2007, 11:58 PM
Do you remember the thread about 10 months ago saying well done Shels for not selling Jason Byrne ;)

A face
04/01/2007, 12:53 AM
Do you remember the thread about 10 months ago saying well done Shels for not selling Jason Byrne ;)

There is a big difference between us and Shels though .... we have always been pretty much within our budgets. Lennox had a tight hold on the purse strings. Ollie Byrne admitted tonight on NewsTalk that he had gambled well beyond your means. He argued his case in doing that but his arguemnt doesn't hold much water now does it?

Shels are now a case study on how not to run a club if you want it long than five years. Its a shame but its true.

pete
04/01/2007, 10:44 AM

If we were offered 500k i think we would sell O'Donovan as would make financial sense. The difference here is we turning down a bid below what we value him at. Then again i think if the Bray 50% didn't exist J Byrne would have been gone...

pineapple stu
04/01/2007, 12:52 PM
WHat was the rejected bid?

Risteard
04/01/2007, 1:53 PM
Wasn't announced.
Different sources saying €175,000 to €225,000.

lofty9
04/01/2007, 2:29 PM
Why issue a statement like this in the first place? If you are looking to keep your players then whats the point in advertising the fact that you rejected a bid for him. A cynic would say that it is a "come and bid for him as he doesn't want to join Southend" statement.

galwayhoop
04/01/2007, 2:50 PM
personally i reckon he is going to be on his way - reading between the lines and all.

if he does go i hope it is for about the €500k and not €200k or something rediculous. then at least the club would have funds to do something with and it might also set the benchmark for players from our league's value.

every time i watch match of the day either a tanned lineker, hansen or lawenson says £80,000! we need to use the success of doyle's transfer for the benefit of the league.

if you are going to buy our players you will have to pay for them.

BTW fair play for o'donovan not demanding out also when the first sniff of overseas cropped up as it would of totally undermined cork's position.

pete
04/01/2007, 3:10 PM
Why issue a statement like this in the first place? If you are looking to keep your players then whats the point in advertising the fact that you rejected a bid for him. A cynic would say that it is a "come and bid for him as he doesn't want to join Southend" statement.

I wouldn't disagree with that accessment.

I think the club are trying to inform fans (criticism of poor PR from some people) while also trying to encourage bids from other interested parties. Its clear we don't want to sell him but a price close to 500k would be good business. Selling players for proper sums is one of the few revenue sources for eL clubs.

pete
17/01/2007, 6:02 PM
Hull City have now made a bid. Rumoured to be 375k euro

GavinZac
17/01/2007, 6:32 PM
Why issue a statement like this in the first place?

certain people on certain forums throw a fit if they arent updated on every phone call received by the club. the rise of telemarketing has really raised the traffic on the forum.

Hitman
17/01/2007, 8:28 PM
Hull City have now made a bid. Rumoured to be 375k euro

They're reputed to have paid Bradford a 6 figure fee just to take Dean Windass on loan until the end of the season, they're pretty desperate if that's true. They already have a glut of forwards already as well.

pete
17/01/2007, 8:39 PM
They're reputed to have paid Bradford a 6 figure fee just to take Dean Windass on loan until the end of the season.

I think that may mean they won't be back with another offer.

I heard somewhere last week though that Hulls Fagan might be sold on to bigger clubs.

375k euro is moving in the right direction if we have to lose him.

A face
17/01/2007, 9:17 PM
I think all eL clubs should put a 25% sell on as standard.

pete
01/02/2007, 11:15 AM
Copied from City forum...

City reject bid from Hull City. Apparently its in todays Sun.

Hull bid €350k down flat.
Another €75k after 15 appearances
Another €75k after 30 appearances
International cap money
25 % of any future sell on fee

In total it says the fee is approx €525k + 25 % sell-on.

If he leaves in November tribunal decides the fee:
- Category 'B' league (SPL or Championship), City will get €180k.
- Category 'A' team (Premiership etc), City will get €250k.

Risteard
01/02/2007, 1:02 PM
Would have been a decent deal if we had another quality striker or two on the books.
However, I think BL has made the right call here.
+ He could do better than Hull.

charliesboots
02/02/2007, 8:21 AM
according to the back page of one of the rags (not sure which one, mirror maybe?) Spurs are looking at making a bid for O'Donovan in the summer although it said that it may be less than the Hull bid.

A face
02/02/2007, 8:36 AM
according to the back page of one of the rags (not sure which one, mirror maybe?) Spurs are looking at making a bid for O'Donovan in the summer although it said that it may be less than the Hull bid.

Well they can fook off so.

Poor Student
03/02/2007, 11:58 AM
You also have to ask yourself what's an unsettled player near the end of his contract going to be like on the field? Is he actually going to be the value of what's turned down in that frame of mind? One of the papers had him quoted and being a bit annoyed over the way Cork handled the deal.

GavinZac
03/02/2007, 1:15 PM
You also have to ask yourself what's an unsettled play near the end of his contract going to be like on the field? Is he actually going to be the value of what's turned down in that frame of mind? One of the papers had him quoted and being a bit annoyed over the way Cork handled the deal.

knowing roy, his attitude and his pride will mean he'll play out of his skin

A face
03/02/2007, 1:32 PM
knowing roy, his attitude and his pride will mean he'll play out of his skin

I'd agree there, he has a fairly agressive attitude as regards his opinion etc. I reckon he'll come out all guns a blazing. he might have an eye on the summer transfer window given recent interest in him but come the start of the season he'll be fairly focused imo.

A face
22/06/2007, 8:49 PM
475K plus add-ons

gustavo
22/06/2007, 8:50 PM
Behan?

A face
22/06/2007, 8:52 PM
Behan?

Yeah, he signs Monday afaik

gustavo
22/06/2007, 8:53 PM
Fair play to Arsenal for moving quick to fill the Henry gap

pete
22/06/2007, 9:40 PM
Hearing rumours this is back on.

475k + add-ons...

gustavo
22/06/2007, 9:47 PM
http://gb.setanta.com/portal/article/football?open&articleid=b00e5d0c895f9412802573020070109d

so is that something like €700,000?

pete
22/06/2007, 9:59 PM
Strong rumour allover the Hull City message boards too. They have sold a couple of forwards in the last week so replacing them makes sense.

£450k is €675k which we would bite the hand off Hull considering he would €175-250k in 5 months time.

He would be first choice at Hull City & would no doubt make an impact.

€50k to Galway for Derek Glynn & another €50k for Rovers Purcell? :cool:

pete
22/06/2007, 10:21 PM
Apparently he did a medical yesterday. Unknown if he flew out with the City squad to Iceland yesterday.

Paddyfield
22/06/2007, 10:42 PM
€50k to Galway for Derek Glynn & another €50k for Rovers Purcell? :cool:

No way Pete. Five league goals in three games for Glynn (plus 2 Cup goals). Maybe Hull City should reconsider their move for O'Donovan.:D

pete
22/06/2007, 10:52 PM
No way Pete. Five league goals in three games for Glynn (plus 2 Cup goals). Maybe Hull City should reconsider their move for O'Donovan.:D

We'll include Behan...plus money if he gets Ireland caps...

superfrank
23/06/2007, 11:58 AM
He would be first choice at Hull City & would no doubt make an impact.
I don't know. They just signed Dean Windass the other day. :D

Very good deal for Cork.

Keep an eye out here (http://www.hullcityafc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Welcome)

De Town
23/06/2007, 12:00 PM
Does this mean he won't be playing against us on Tuesday?:o

A face
23/06/2007, 12:08 PM
Does this mean he won't be playing against us on Tuesday?

Beware of the Behanator !! :eek::ball::)

De Town
23/06/2007, 12:14 PM
Beware of the Behanator !! :eek::ball::)

Even he would probably scare the sh1t out of our defence at the moment!

Sam_Heggy
26/06/2007, 7:03 AM
Hull City target Roy O'Donovan has urged Cork City to resolve his future.

The winger, who was formerly with Coventry City, has been linked with a summer return to the Championship.

Reports have claimed that Hull had agreed a £450,000 fee with Cork for O'Donovan, having earlier had a £250,000 offer turned down.

O'Donovan is unaware of the latest rumours of a move to Phil Brown's side, but is anxious to have his future sorted out quickly.

"Obviously there's going to be clubs interested because I'm scoring goals and playing quite well, but I don't know much about it," said O'Donovan in the Hull Daily Mail.

"It's not of my doing.

"But it's going on so long now that I'd like it to be sorted one way or the other.

"I'm enjoying my football with Cork City, but every day there's something else and I don't know whether I'm staying or going.

"Cork City haven't offered me a contract either, so I think my future lies elsewhere and I'd rather have it sorted sooner rather than later. But nothing is sorted yet."

michaelguineys
26/06/2007, 1:31 PM
Seems they aren't willing to cough up.

--------------------------------
Brown will not be held to ransom

07:44 - 26 June 2007

Cork City want too much for Roy O'Donovan, according to Tigers' boss Phil Brown
HULL City will not meet the inflated price-tag of Irish forward Roy O'Donovan despite off-loading Nicky Forster to Brighton.

O'Donovan has again been linked with a move to the KC Stadium although Cork City's £450,000 valuation of the player will not be matched by the Tigers.

With Forster joining Jon Parkin in leaving City and Darryl Duffy expected to follow soon, Phil Brown's attacking options have been quickly reduced.

Colchester striker Jamie Cureton remains high on his wanted list as well as Ipswich forward Alan Lee.

But the City manager has underlined that he will not be signing O'Donovan until Cork lower their "phenomenally inflated" demands.

"He is a player I am interested in, and have been for a long time, but quite simply, not at the price that they are asking" Brown told the Mail.

"The price has been phenomenally inflated since we were first interested in him.

"We have had him watched on several occasions and received favourable reports back but there's the question mark over his ability to play in England.

"We are in the market for players with potential but at this stage of the recruitment we are looking at players with proven experience."

Although Brown would not be drawn into an open debate with Cork, he admitted that their valuation of O'Donovan was not reasonable.

"I'm not prepared to get into a Dutch auction for any player" he said.
This has been taken from the Sporthull.co.uk
------------------------------------------------

They can P*SS off then, his comments are an insult to Roy, our club and our league.
If he won't pay up then he can F*CK off and go buy another player and leave Roy with us

--------------------
Low lie the fields of Bishopstown.....

Steve Bruce
26/06/2007, 1:43 PM
Hearing rumours this is back on.

475k + add-ons...

That would be an amazing deal IMO.

Personally I think any LOI/IL player is a big risk for English teams especially the lower leagues where the money isn't as plentiful.

If I where a manager, I wouldn't spend more than 250k(sterling) for an Irish based player

pete
26/06/2007, 1:47 PM
I can understand his comments about proven players. Hull clearly looking for a decent player at decent price instead of decent price for potential player...

razor
26/06/2007, 1:48 PM
"He is a player I am interested in, and have been for a long time, but quite simply, not at the price that they are asking" Brown told the Mail.The majority of City fans think its quite paltry but with all the guff coming from Roy i'd be willing to settle for it just to see the back of him.

Cymro
26/06/2007, 1:51 PM
Seems they aren't willing to cough up.

--------------------------------
Brown will not be held to ransom

07:44 - 26 June 2007

Cork City want too much for Roy O'Donovan, according to Tigers' boss Phil Brown
HULL City will not meet the inflated price-tag of Irish forward Roy O'Donovan despite off-loading Nicky Forster to Brighton.

O'Donovan has again been linked with a move to the KC Stadium although Cork City's £450,000 valuation of the player will not be matched by the Tigers.

With Forster joining Jon Parkin in leaving City and Darryl Duffy expected to follow soon, Phil Brown's attacking options have been quickly reduced.

Colchester striker Jamie Cureton remains high on his wanted list as well as Ipswich forward Alan Lee.

But the City manager has underlined that he will not be signing O'Donovan until Cork lower their "phenomenally inflated" demands.

"He is a player I am interested in, and have been for a long time, but quite simply, not at the price that they are asking" Brown told the Mail.

"The price has been phenomenally inflated since we were first interested in him.

"We have had him watched on several occasions and received favourable reports back but there's the question mark over his ability to play in England.

"We are in the market for players with potential but at this stage of the recruitment we are looking at players with proven experience."

Although Brown would not be drawn into an open debate with Cork, he admitted that their valuation of O'Donovan was not reasonable.

"I'm not prepared to get into a Dutch auction for any player" he said.
This has been taken from the Sporthull.co.uk
------------------------------------------------

They can P*SS off then, his comments are an insult to Roy, our club and our league.
If he won't pay up then he can F*CK off and go buy another player and leave Roy with us

--------------------
Low lie the fields of Bishopstown.....

You should calm down. £450,000 is a decent offer for a lower FLC club for any player. Hardly an insult, just a matter of financial welfare. Clubs at that level aren't made of money, ffs.

If O'Donavan's that good there'll be another club who'll be willing to pay £450,000, don't forget he could leave in the summer for much less.

L37Ultra
27/06/2007, 1:17 AM
"I’m expecting to move on sooner or later but nothing’s sorted yet ... There is a good future for Cork, unfortunately I won’t be part of it." - Roy O’Donovan on the increasing likelihood of an early move away from Cork City.

pete
27/06/2007, 11:26 AM
Every journalist uses the same quotes and they have all been using the "I have not been offered a contract" one this week.

To outsiders this may seem strange but Roy was asked if he would consider a contract but said he would not so no use in the club wasting time putting one together. Money would make no difference either.

BohsFans
28/06/2007, 2:15 AM
Personally I think any LOI/IL player is a big risk for English teams especially the lower leagues where the money isn't as plentiful.

Why do you constantly lump the el and the il in together?
We're streets ahead of the il down here.
Our league isn't accepting paltry sums anymore.

superfrank
28/06/2007, 10:06 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/h/hull_city/6247680.stm

Could be some time for O'Donovan to be joining Hull.