Cork v Longford

Monday 2nd May

Waterford v Athlone 14:00
Wexford v Bray 15:00
Galway v Longford 17:00
Cork v Treaty 17:00

sbgawa
26/04/2022, 3:35 PM
Last weeks games were all fairly predictable but this weekend has has some real 6 pointers and big matches.
Big chances for PAts and Sligo to either make themselves part of the title race or potentially fall way off the pace.
Finn Harps v Shels looks like a must win game for Harps or at least an absolutely must not lose game to try to stay in contact even this early. Hopefully the crowd will come out for them.
Bohs must surely beat UCD to keep 008 in his job??

Double header in the first division and given the 9 team nature a bit unfair on teams playing twice against teams playing only once.
Athlone have to play wexford on Friday and then travel to play Waterford on Monday who have their feet up for the weekend.
Ditto cobh can play their best 11 on Friday against Bray and then put their feet up while Bray have to go again on Monday.
Galway can separate themselves from the pack (bar Cork) by beating Treaty and Longford...are they good enough?
Cork playing Treaty and Longford as well so there could be a real gap at the top of the first afetr the weekend.

SPXcyan
26/04/2022, 3:44 PM
Yep, definitely an unfair advantage for ourselves to have the Friday off and then take full advantage on the Monday, this 9 team league is just so.. what's the right word?..

Perhaps next season will be better with the newly introduced third tier, just maybe.

Nah Nah Nah Nah
26/04/2022, 4:34 PM
Our only hope is the pitch

El-Pietro
27/04/2022, 11:41 AM
Galway can separate themselves from the pack (bar Cork) by beating Treaty and Longford...are they good enough?
Cork playing Treaty and Longford as well so there could be a real gap at the top of the first afetr the weekend.
Alternatively Longford could beat both Galway and Cork City and close the points gap while still having two games in hand. Reminder that they beat Galway and drew with City in the previous round, we should not be quick to rule them out.

joey B
27/04/2022, 1:32 PM
Badly need a win for the mood around the place if nothing else,so I fully expect an early Shels goal and we huff and puff before losing …..

D24Saint
27/04/2022, 2:22 PM
Should be type of game that Harps can get something, $hels nothing special this year.

joey B
27/04/2022, 2:33 PM
Should be type of game that Harps can get something, $hels nothing special this year.

Yeah but unfortunately “nothing special “ has been beating us quite a lot this season!

mackend6
27/04/2022, 3:12 PM
Making the short trip up the road for the first time in years - looking forward to it though not hopeful of getting anything out of the game.
Fingers crossed there isn't a repeat of the scenes at the end of the game in United Park.

Looking for Bohs to do the business v UCD, and a draw between Shels and Harps.

outspoken
27/04/2022, 8:39 PM
Alternatively Longford could beat both Galway and Cork City and close the points gap while still having two games in hand. Reminder that they beat Galway and drew with City in the previous round, we should not be quick to rule them out.

I always liked you

Nesta99
27/04/2022, 8:55 PM
Making the short trip up the road for the first time in years - looking forward to it though not hopeful of getting anything out of the game.
Fingers crossed there isn't a repeat of the scenes at the end of the game in United Park.

Well if Dundalk win there wont be celebrations like we'd just won the league!! I dont recall any significant incident with Drogheda fan at Oriel in or outside the ground. One chap running across the pitch from the shed toward the away fans is about the height of it excluding some colourful chants. I suppose its a local rivalry rather than a bitter one.

TonyD
29/04/2022, 11:00 AM
Pats /Derry a hard one to call. Thought we were unlucky to lose up there, so with a bit of luck can reverse that. Will be tough though.

D24Saint
29/04/2022, 7:35 PM
We should have official club cyanide after that first half , painful very very painful to watch.

pineapple stu
29/04/2022, 7:36 PM
Fairly dire stuff at Dalymount. Bohs ahead just before halftime with the help of a big deflection; keeper could only parry and the rebound was easy. Kind of appropriate given neither side can pass the ball straight really.

sadloserkid
29/04/2022, 7:47 PM
Pats /Derry a hard one to call. Thought we were unlucky to lose up there, so with a bit of luck can reverse that. Will be tough though.

You're gonna need a big second half Tony!

dong
29/04/2022, 8:03 PM
Awful stuff in the Showgrounds. Pitch is so bad it's probably levelled things up a bit.

DCSIL
29/04/2022, 8:11 PM
Wow. Just Wow.

Get it right up Ye Dodge!

ForzaForth
29/04/2022, 8:17 PM
100th league goal for Dinny Corcoran tonight.

pineapple stu
29/04/2022, 8:23 PM
Get it right up Ye Dodge!
Oh, do tell...?!

D24Saint
29/04/2022, 8:40 PM
Good god that was as bad a home performance I’ve seen in a very long time. The performance on the bench and from the lads on the pitch was horrendous. Where do we go from here , haven’t a clue right now.

Jack B
29/04/2022, 8:40 PM
Still think Rovers will win the league due to their squad over the course of the season, but it'll be a lot closer than I anticipated. We were hopeless but Derry are easily the most dangerous, clinical team I've seen since Kenny's Dundalk.

Calcio Jack
29/04/2022, 8:45 PM
Still think Rovers will win the league due to their squad over the course of the season, but it'll be a lot closer than I anticipated. We were hopeless but Derry are easily the most dangerous, clinical team I've seen since Kenny's Dundalk.

In total control ( yet again) but yet again failing to push on and get second goal; really poor stuff ; and not really interested in hearing I predict Bradley come out and say «*… very happy with performance blah blah…*»

dong
29/04/2022, 8:50 PM
Bizarre how we were allowed back into that game. Hardly deserved a point.

ontheotherhand
29/04/2022, 8:53 PM
Bizarre how we were allowed back into that game. Hardly deserved a point.

For some reason we let you back in. Made no subs when obvious subs were needed. Relying on our game mgmt too much when we should have been out for the kill. Pitch didn't help but that's a poor excuse. Fair play to Sligo, they started to play a bit and got their goal.

oriel
29/04/2022, 8:59 PM
Easy win for Dundalk, first half was (again) not a great game, fairly even but Dundalk shaded it, no contest second half.

Ridiculous mistake from Gartland passing across his back to gift Drogs a goal late in the game, but credit to Martin for getting the 4th late on. Keith Ward really had a super game and Paul Doyle is starting to look a serious talent, two very good games in a row.

Dundalk up to clear 3rd now, O'Donnell making a massive difference, christ even to think of the joke shop of P6 led rubbish from last season.

Kudos to Drogs fans to be fair, never stopped even at 0-3 down.

Kiki Balboa
29/04/2022, 9:02 PM
Shels are going down.

joey B
29/04/2022, 9:20 PM
The one bit of quality in the game won it for us,poor,poor game….

Louth4sam
29/04/2022, 9:24 PM
Good god that was as bad a home performance I’ve seen in a very long time. The performance on the bench and from the lads on the pitch was horrendous. Where do we go from here , haven’t a clue right now.

Probably should have tried to hang on to O'Donnell

El-Pietro
29/04/2022, 9:29 PM
First half was pretty even. Longford forced us into a lot of backwards and sideways passing. Second half we stepped it up. Cracking finish from Crowley for number 4 and two more classic Barry Coffey goals from inside 10 yards into the Shed.

2 Year Contract
29/04/2022, 9:29 PM
We were hopeless but Derry are easily the most dangerous, clinical team I've seen since Kenny's Dundalk.
I’d agree with this. Absolutely terrible in all departments from pats but credit where it’s due, that was an outstanding Derry performance

TonyD
29/04/2022, 9:36 PM
You're gonna need a big second half Tony!

Well. I wasn’t overly optimistic before the game, but I genuinely never saw that coming. Derry just steamrollered us. Never got near them. The score could have been even more. Got to compete better than that. We were very poor, they were very good. Awful night.

And we have to go to the Brandywell on Monday week, may God have mercy on us !!

D24Saint
29/04/2022, 9:41 PM

Who ?

mcgonigle
29/04/2022, 9:43 PM
Who ?

Ask patsdad if he ever resurfaces

yurt
29/04/2022, 9:53 PM
Not often you'll get games as rewarding as that supporting a first division club but what a comeback by Galway in Limerick.

Caulfield made the first quadruple substitution I've ever seen and to be fair it actually changed the game. Manning scored what will likely be our goal of the season (definitely work seeking out), Alex Murphy scored what I believe is his first goal for the club before Stephen Walsh continued his remarkable form up top.

Huge win for this team. Actually playing a little but of football now too to go with the results, happy days!

Nesta99
29/04/2022, 10:07 PM
In total control ( yet again) but yet again failing to push on and get second goal; really poor stuff ; and not really interested in hearing I predict Bradley come out and say «*… very happy with performance blah blah…*»

Bradley is far too inclined to settle and play it safe and for anyone who watched Ireland, eg, over the years, it was when when we got in front and in control but settled for hat we had, took the pressure off, we coughed up points. Its sloppy from experienced champions. The relaxed 'been here before' comment is too relaxed, almost dismissive sounding of the strongest challengers for the tttle of the last 3 seasons.

Louth4sam
29/04/2022, 10:09 PM
Who ?

😉

Probably an unfortunate time to play Derry after everything seemed to click for them last week. We have them away in three weeks. Hopefully they have a stumble before then.

D24Saint
29/04/2022, 10:23 PM
😉

Probably an unfortunate time to play Derry after everything seemed to click for them last week. We have them away in three weeks. Hopefully they have a stumble before then.

Very good side this season. I thought Smith in particular tonight was exceptional.

Candystripe
29/04/2022, 10:51 PM
😉

We have Bohs and Pat's at home then away to Shamrock rvrs before we meet you's. I'll be ecstatic if we don't drop points in those games.

On a side note, Jamie Mc Gonigles 1st offside goal was actually an attempted clearance that rebounded of another Pat's player. Never offside but it didn't effect the game. Should have been 2 hatricks in 2 games for him.

Calcio Jack
29/04/2022, 11:03 PM
Bradley is far too inclined to settle and play it safe and for anyone who watched Ireland, eg, over the years, it was when when we got in front and in control but settled for hat we had, took the pressure off, we coughed up points. Its sloppy from experienced champions. The relaxed 'been here before' comment is too relaxed, almost dismissive sounding of the strongest challengers for the tttle of the last 3 seasons.

In fairness to Bradley in his post match interview it was clear that he was under the surface seething and for once didn’t as I expected go down the overall performance was good etc. There’s no doubt that we’ve now dropped at least 6/8 points that we should of won - very hard to pin down why ( but certainly not complacency or lack of effort) and we have for perspective taken 16 points from last 18 ; so still plenty of room for optimism ; we just need to get that bit more clinical like Sligo 5 chances in the two games against us and they’ve scored 3

D24Saint
29/04/2022, 11:03 PM
We have Bohs and Pat's at home then away to Shamrock rvrs before we meet you's. I'll be ecstatic if we don't drop points in those games.

On a side note, Jamie Mc Gonigles 1st offside goal was actually an attempted clearance that rebounded of another Pat's player. Never offside but it didn't effect the game. Should have been 2 hatricks in 2 games for him.

Thought one of the offsides looked dodgy but it eventually blended into the overall misery of the night. I think there was one disallowed in both halves if memory serves.

kksaints
29/04/2022, 11:08 PM
We were dreadful this evening. Badly set up and played exactly into Derrys hands with our slow play and constant backpassing which allowed Derry to press our defence and when the ball back in dangerous areas.

placid casual
29/04/2022, 11:24 PM
Couldn't get up to sligo for the game so watched it on RTE. Hard to really tell from the TV but the pitch looked a bit of a leveller. Andy Lyons is really going from strength to strength in this Rovers team, and showing whats possible when you put him into a club demanding success.
Agree that Bradley should have made substitutions prior to sligo getting level - Rovers have never had that ruthless streak under Bradley, and to be fair to Derry they are showing why they are top of the league - A long, long way to go, of course, and the game in tallaght in a few weeks should be a belter.

ToberonaTornado
30/04/2022, 1:06 AM
Dundalk WALTZED pass Drogs tonight.Wardy was top class,Leahy was lethal,Drogs never got going and were awful.
Any Dundalk fan know what SO'D was carded for? I was at the match and didn't even know he was until i read tweet from James Rogers when the game had ended.

Glen Of Aherlow
30/04/2022, 8:35 AM
Whatever Clancy has against Ben McCormack he’d want to get over himself fast . The system he’s playing is not working and we need that extra body in midfield . Not one positive to take from that shambles of a performance

Kiki Balboa
30/04/2022, 9:30 AM
Considering Pats lost a very big chunk of their squad from last year, personnally from the outside, I don't quite get the expectations and dissapointment around Clancy.

Have they been that bad? Too negative? Some bad results alright, but to be fair, it looks like a new team.

I also find Sligo going very much under the radar. Probably the least talked about team this year, but they keep motoring away picking up points and are in a shout for Europe next year. There pitch seems disgraceful though.

Jack B
30/04/2022, 9:41 AM
Considering Pats lost a very big chunk of their squad from last year, personnally from the outside, I don't quite get the expectations and dissapointment around Clancy.

Have they been that bad? Too negative? Some bad results alright, but to be fair, it looks like a new team.

I also find Sligo going very much under the radar. Probably the least talked about team this year, but they keep motoring away picking up points and are in a shout for Europe next year. There pitch seems disgraceful though.

I like Clancy and still think patience is deserved, from my perspective I just didn't really like the balance of the squad from the outset and it's been reflected in how all over the place the performances have been. Some real talent in there but we're short in key areas and injuries haven't helped matters. As long as we're still in the mix for 3rd come the summer time I wouldn't be hugely worried as with a couple injured players back/maybe a signing or two we'll look healthy enough. I expected us to be in the mix below Derry and Rovers though so maybe others anticipated more.

The lack of any kind of cohesive performances have been concerning though, no getting away from it. Don't think he intends to play negatively but the lack of a proper balanced midfield is just turning things that way because we've no control in games and Forrester can't do it on his own. Funnily enough the 0-0 vs Dundalk has probably been the best performance over 90 minutes in that sense, otherwise we've performed in fits and spurts at best.

2 Year Contract
30/04/2022, 9:42 AM
Few more negative incidents around the league last night, a couple of minutes after going 3-0 up Derry fans shot a firework during the match which actually ended up exploding closest to their own goalkeeper Brian Maher who looked over and gestured to the Derry fans with his arms out as if to say ‘cop the f on’.

Just seeing on twitter also that RTE had to remove one of their camera operators after Sligo fans threw a flare at shams fans over the head of the camera man: https://twitter.com/jamesotoole18/status/1520178116890615808?s=21&t=rGRvPbd-PlIu2TGXei07yQ

D24Saint
30/04/2022, 9:45 AM

I don’t think that we have played well in weeks. The Derry away game was our last proper performance that I’ve witnessed (I missed Dundalk at home so cant comment). The balance of the squad looks off and the tactics have been confusing at times. I’ve no doubt that he will get the entire season but I don’t see a grand plan and have huge concerns about the teams direction. Nobody wants to see the club go backwards and we need European football to keep things on the right road.

TonyD
30/04/2022, 10:52 AM

What, you mean like have him under a contract ? (Sorry to mention the war ;)) Nah, seriously though, he can still go and fluck himself.

TonyD
30/04/2022, 10:58 AM
I don’t think that we have played well in weeks. The Derry away game was our last proper performance that I’ve witnessed (I missed Dundalk at home so cant comment). The balance of the squad looks off and the tactics have been confusing at times. I’ve no doubt that he will get the entire season but I don’t see a grand plan and have huge concerns about the teams direction. Nobody wants to see the club go backwards and we need European football to keep things on the right road.

We were very good against Dundalk, and should have won with better finishing. UCD away was awful, Finn Harps at home was ok. Last night Derry just blitzed us out of it. They were faster, stronger and we couldn’t cope with it. Big response needed.