PDA

View Full Version : Dara O'Shea (D Burnley b.1999)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

tetsujin1979
25/08/2019, 10:03 PM
Little surprised Dara O'Shea doesn't have a thread given he's played a full season already,
Interviewed on the42 today: https://www.the42.ie/dara-oshea-2-4782019-Aug2019/

tommy_c12000
21/12/2019, 8:08 PM
Did well today apparently, played a good 40 minutes. He replaced Bartley who hobbled off after rolling ankle, hopefully some ligament damage, but he played on for a while so probably back shortly. Dara was only on bench as their 3rd choice centre back Hegazi was omitted due to a training ground incident related to him wanting to leave in January. All good signs for Dara

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/bilic-west-brom-bartley-oshea-17459898.amp

youngirish
21/12/2019, 11:14 PM
Did well today apparently, played a good 40 minutes. He replaced Bartley who hobbled off after rolling ankle, hopefully some ligament damage, but he played on for a while so probably back shortly.
Bit harsh to hope for a bad injury on a player even though it obviously would mean O'Shea is likely to get a shot.

tommy_c12000
22/12/2019, 12:45 AM
Not if it’s helping our irish players develop.

Kingdom
22/12/2019, 10:13 AM
I've a huge amount of time for Dara O'Shea. Saw him first a few years ago underage (19's I think) and I was struck by his composure when on the back foot, and also when in possession. He's been extremely impressive for the 21s too. All the reports from the Exeter loan were impressive, and I've huge hopes that he'll break-through and become a mainstay for our National team. We're on the cusp of a couple of really impressive defenders coming through, and I've a feeling he's going to be the best of them.
I think if he does get in now, he'll stay in at West Brom. Out of contract in the summer too

Olé Olé
22/12/2019, 10:47 AM
Bilic is utterly effusive in his praise for Dara, has been a couple of other times I have read interviews also. Given that O'Shea is just turning 21, unless he gets a prolonged run in the team this season then the surely imminent promotion will do him no favours for 20/21.

It will be interesting to see if himself and Collins are any further down the track this time next year. Fingers crossed.

tommy_c12000
26/12/2019, 1:31 PM
Hegazi returns to start, O’Shea on bench. Bartley injured. Disappointing

MancIrishWolf
26/01/2020, 1:13 PM
Had a good game yesterday by all accounts. Calls for him to be put straight into the first team, admiration for his strong tackling, footballing intelligence and versatility and suspicions that he may have been given limited game time recently until her signed his new long term contract...

http://westbrom.com/forum/index.php?topic=24158.0

Eirambler
26/01/2020, 2:01 PM
Reasonable chance that he could be a Premier League regular at some point next season if WBA go up. Seems to be able to cover full back as well as centre back. He's a huge prospect for us, albeit we're fairly well stocked in the short term in the positions he plays.

Charlie Darwin
26/01/2020, 7:20 PM
Had a good game yesterday by all accounts. Calls for him to be put straight into the first team, admiration for his strong tackling, footballing intelligence and versatility and suspicions that he may have been given limited game time recently until her signed his new long term contract...

http://westbrom.com/forum/index.php?topic=24158.0
Love the comment about him being home-produced. They signed him when he was 16 for god's sake.

elatedscum
10/02/2020, 5:22 PM
scored his first goal for west brom at the weekend. good header. the likes of Williams, Molumby, O'Brien and Robinson were also involved

IqyfwQ__SCk

seems to be doing well there, could certainly see either himself, Masterson or Collins move ahead of Kevin Long as 4th centre half after McCarthy has gone.

MancIrishWolf
25/02/2020, 10:00 PM
Another clean sheet for West Brom making in 5 in 8 since coming into the side. Appears to be making the position his own, being regularly lauded for his defensive intelligence. Inevitable that he’ll move into the centre, however great experience to learn under Bilic to become our future Richard Dunne...

http://westbrom.com/forum/index.php?topic=24158.0;all

Olé Olé
26/02/2020, 1:36 AM
20 yo, playing well right back whilst looking like a centre back and starting in the Championship under a reputable manager who was a centre back himself. It's all going very well for this lad.

paul_oshea
26/02/2020, 10:01 AM
Can we produce a midfielder please. we seem to be only producing backs for the last ages who have that bit extra about them.

jbyrne
26/02/2020, 10:43 AM
Can we produce a midfielder please. we seem to be only producing backs for the last ages who have that bit extra about them.

go watch our 21s. some excellent midfield talent there.
Jayson Molumby will be an EPL player before long

paul_oshea
26/02/2020, 9:20 PM
I've watched them. And yes other players stood out ahead of them. And the calls made to promote were shown to be very premature.

elatedscum
26/02/2020, 9:41 PM
I've watched them. And yes other players stood out ahead of them. And the calls made to promote were shown to be very premature.

out of curiosity, who stood out the most to you?

paul_oshea
27/02/2020, 9:33 AM
Conor Ronan was very good, i thought he changed the game against Sweden when he came on, in place for the above posters mention Molumby. I thought O'Connor looked good too. Idah obviously too in the last few games.

Charlie Darwin
27/02/2020, 1:22 PM
Conor Ronan was very good, i thought he changed the game against Sweden when he came on, in place for the above posters mention Molumby. I thought O'Connor looked good too. Idah obviously too in the last few games.
Which O'Connor? Lee got all the attention but Thomas is the one playing regular football at a higher level.

Eirambler
01/07/2020, 7:59 PM
WBA game not on TV tonight but sounds like O'Shea is going well at right back. Won a penalty as well. Could be a Premier League player next year if they go up.

Olé Olé
01/07/2020, 8:41 PM
A Championship loan might be no harm next season for some game time at centre half. Or even a loan on the continent. Bilic kept him around as cover, as he has stated, so if he makes a couple of signings at the back for next season then O'Shea will struggle to get game time behind him.

Eirambler
23/07/2020, 8:21 AM
Great to see O'Shea heading for the premier league with West Brom. I think it will be a tough season for them next year and they are likely to want to strengthen during the summer. However, given O'Shea's ability to cover right across the back four (albeit he's definitely not a natural left back), I'd expect him to see a reasonable amount of game time next season.

Will be a good back up option for our defence in the next 12 months as well, longer term I can definitely see him pushing to be a starter in the centre of our defence.

tommy_c12000
24/07/2020, 8:18 PM
https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2020/0724/1155411-oshea-leaving-comfort-zone-led-to-premier-league/

Nice article on Dara, highlighting his maturity and insight. Very true on the “comfort zone” at the big club in the U23s. One season enough then gotta mix it with the big boys

Eirambler
24/07/2020, 10:39 PM
He comes across as someone with his head really screwed on, I'm delighted to see him doing so well.

He's spot on about the under 23s as well. One season at under 18, one season at under 23 and then out on loan after that. If that means going to league 2 or the National League or whatever to get game time, so be it. A lot of big clubs prefer to just leave their young players in under 23s but there's only so far you can go in those non competitive games.

CraftyToePoke
25/07/2020, 5:48 PM
He's spot on about the under 23s as well. One season at under 18, one season at under 23 and then out on loan after that. If that means going to league 2 or the National League or whatever to get game time, so be it. A lot of big clubs prefer to just leave their young players in under 23s but there's only so far you can go in those non competitive games.

Kian Flanagan is a good example of what can go wrong staying U23 too long. He's 21 in August looking for a club in this climate with no first team apps to bring to the table & as good as he was U23 he has it all to do now.

elatedscum
25/07/2020, 6:51 PM
Kian Flanagan is a good example of what can go wrong staying U23 too long. He's 21 in August looking for a club in this climate with no first team apps to bring to the table & as good as he was U23 he has it all to do now.

Albeit somewhat unfortunately. He was trying to go out on loan for 2 years but Palace never let him

Olé Olé
13/09/2020, 12:08 PM
Huge show of faith from Bilic. Dara starts today. Looks like they are playing 3-5-2 or 3-4-3. Sky Sports have Darnell Furlong as part of the back three and Dara wing back. I think it will be the other way around.

Callum Robinson appears to be starting up top.

Eirambler
13/09/2020, 12:12 PM
Great to see him get the start. Hopefully it goes well and he can nail down a first team place.

Some rise for him from playing for Exeter less than 18 months ago to not getting picked for West Brom in the Championship for most of the first half of last season to finishing it in a promotion winning team and now starting in the Premier League today at 21.

Delighted for him.

Olé Olé
13/09/2020, 1:18 PM
Wasn't sure how he would cope with the step up but O'Shea looks great thus far. Very comfortable on the ball. Willing to take the ball with him and has played some great long and short passes.

Let's see how he copes if Leicester can start to figure West Brom out a bit more.

Robinson making hay so far too. Ndidi struggling with his movement and you can tell Ndidi isn't a centre half by trade.

paul_oshea
13/09/2020, 1:54 PM
You're watching a different game to me.

Olé Olé
13/09/2020, 2:00 PM
You're watching a different game to me.

I clearly made that post after 15 minutes. Dara continues to look very good in the ball, although he was almost caught out defensively once. Robinson is quieter now.

What's your view?

tommy_c12000
13/09/2020, 2:36 PM
Albion will struggle this season on the basis of this display. Pretty impotent in attack. Need another signing or two. O’Shea did well

paul_oshea
13/09/2020, 2:42 PM
I clearly made that post after 15 minutes. Dara continues to look very good in the ball, although he was almost caught out defensively once. Robinson is quieter now.

What's your view?

Robinson cant play this system up top by himself. He needs to be getting involved behind a striker or comijg in off the right.

O'Shea has got caught a few times and letting players get goal side or missed the runner and then sprinting to get back. He's been fine on the ball. It's all about experience hopefully. He probably didn't have to think about this in the championship , hopefully that's it. It's been a tough day for him but hopefully a very good learning experience for him and bilic goes through all this with him and still trusts him for the premier League.

West Brom are very limited alright, difficult to see them staying up the players aren't good enough for th system.

O'Shea just gives away a poor peno.

paul_oshea
13/09/2020, 2:42 PM
Ole the fact you said it after 15 mins and then pointed it out yourself ;)

tommy_c12000
13/09/2020, 2:43 PM
Yeah just gave peno away, lacked awareness. Should come with experience

Olé Olé
13/09/2020, 2:43 PM
Just conceded a penalty. But it was dreadfully unlucky. He was on the half turn going to clear the ball and was off balance. James Justin came in from his blind side, nicked the ball and O'Shea kicked Justin instead of the ball.

I think he has had a good game overall.

Olé Olé
13/09/2020, 2:45 PM
Ole the fact you said it after 15 mins and then pointed it out yourself ;)
I wasnt watching a different game though. You came in at half time and stated I was. I made the point on O'Shea early because it was his first 15 minutes of PL football and I was commenting on how composed he looked on the ball.

Trequartista20
13/09/2020, 3:02 PM
I think it's obvious O'Shea had a difficult day.

All part of the learning experience.

youngirish
13/09/2020, 3:50 PM
Just conceded a penalty. But it was dreadfully unlucky. He was on the half turn going to clear the ball and was off balance. James Justin came in from his blind side, nicked the ball and O'Shea kicked Justin instead of the ball.

I think he has had a good game overall.

Jesus wept. A good game overall after a 3-0 drubbing in which he gave away a penalty for one goal with a reckless challenge (it wasn't unlucky) and was beaten in the air by the fullback for another of the goals?

You're not just watching a different game than Paul. You're watching a different game to the Sky Sports pundits, the associated press and the majority of the West Brom fans themselves, judging from a quick scouring of their message boards.

What would qualify as a bad game? A 6-0 loss and being at fault for 4 or more of the goals? I can see why you think Enda Stevens is so much better than Max Lowe.

DeLorean
13/09/2020, 4:01 PM
Take your pills, YI.

Olé Olé
13/09/2020, 4:03 PM
Jesus wept. A good game overall after a 3-0 drubbing in which he gave away a penalty for one goal with a reckless challenge (it wasn't unlucky) and was beaten in the air by the fullback for another of the goals?

You're not just watching a different game than Paul. You're watching a different game to the Sky Sports pundits, the associated press and the majority of the West Brom fans themselves, judging from a quick scouring of their message boards.

What would qualify as a bad game? A 6-0 loss and being at fault for 4 or more of the goals? I can see why you think Enda Stevens is so much better than Max Lowe.
Please refrain from responding to my posts or addressing me. I have no interest in engaging with someone like you.

Stuttgart88
13/09/2020, 4:03 PM
He was on a hiding to nothing though. They were lambs to the slaughter in the second half. The team set up behind the ball but out no pressure on it and Leicester got a run on the defence multiple times. Clumsy for the penalty, a tired swipe at the ball. Not much more of note either way. He was certainly no worse than any other WBA player and a couple probably worse than him. I think the Praet cross was a beaut, just begging to be attacked. The goal scorer running onto the ball was going to win that header over a retreating CB all day long, unless the defender had Duffy’s height. Not a good day at the office but hardly a disaster. No way would I say he was “desperately unlucky”. Tough outing but set up to fail too I reckon. I just couldn’t see what WBA’s containment plan was at all.

youngirish
13/09/2020, 4:15 PM
Please refrain from responding to my posts or addressing me. I have no interest in engaging with someone like you.

Stop posting such nonsense and refrain from trying to be smart (but failing to achieve the desired affect) when you disagree with a far more reasonable opinion I may have about a particular player and I'll accept your unconditional surrender and ignore your posts from now on.

Don't cry though. It could be worse. You could be Dara O'Shea sitting in the changing rooms with his teammates after his Premiership debut.

paul_oshea
13/09/2020, 4:33 PM

Yes i agree with most of this and i also thought at first hes got to attack that and head it out, but looking bcak a couple of times he was going backwards trying to get a drop and then attack it, it was just the perfect flight of a ball. So he cant really be blamed, but ya someone like van dijk is probably going to get a head on that regardless. So 90% gibbs, 10% Oshea.

And no commentator or post match attributed any blame to him, unless you heard something? Was wonder what bilic would have said actually. I'd be a little bit worried about him retaining his place after the result and his own personal performance.

The Del and stutts tag team, you post on this thread, ya go on, ill thanks it. good man. job done. A1 Sir.

youngirish
13/09/2020, 4:33 PM
Take your pills, YI.

Some of you heads on here are on some major mind bending pills. Maybe I will get some.

Yes i agree with most of this and i also thought at first hes got to attack that and head it out, but looking bcak a couple of times he was going backwards trying to get a drop and then attack it, it was just the perfect flight of a ball. So he cant really be blamed, but ya someone like van dijk is probably going to get a head on that regardless. So 90% gibbs, 10% Oshea.

And no commentator or post match attributed any blame to him, unless you heard something? Was wonder what bilic would have said actually. I'd be a little bit worried about him retaining his place after the result and his own personal performance.
He and Gibbs got in each other's way. Gibbs was arguably in a better position to attack the ball.

This report lays some blame at his door:

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/west-brom-player-ratings-leicester-18927596

CraftyToePoke
13/09/2020, 4:39 PM
Some of you heads on here are on some major mind bending pills. Maybe I will get some.

You are borderline aggressive very early on in an exchange YI. Its noticeable. Is it necessary ?

paul_oshea
13/09/2020, 4:42 PM
He was on a hiding to nothing though. They were lambs to the slaughter in the second half. The team set up behind the ball but out no pressure on it and Leicester got a run on the defence multiple times. Clumsy for the penalty, a tired swipe at the ball. Not much more of note either way. He was certainly no worse than any other WBA player and a couple probably worse than him. I think the Praet cross was a beaut, just begging to be attacked. The goal scorer running onto the ball was going to win that header over a retreating CB all day long, unless the defender had Duffy’s height. Not a good day at the office but hardly a disaster. No way would I say he was “desperately unlucky”. Tough outing but set up to fail too I reckon. I just couldn’t see what WBA’s containment plan was at all.

Didnt see this when i replied, edited my post slightly. I have this niggling feeling that Oshea could be the one to lose out, even though as you say the whole team and defence were poor!

youngirish
13/09/2020, 4:44 PM
You are borderline aggressive very early on in an exchange YI. Its noticeable. Is it necessary ?

Depends CraftyToePoke. Some of these guys have tried to be smart and condescending about some of my posts regarding the dismal Finland performance because they collectively just didn't agree with them so they are fair game. I see my role as a defender of free speech. A champion, so to speak, of those posters that go against the collective grain. Groupthink is bad on any forum.

In general I don't try to be aggressive but when all else fails we must be prepared to take up arms to defend our freedoms as I believe that famous Scot Mel Gibson stated in Braveheart.

paul_oshea
13/09/2020, 4:44 PM

He and Gibbs got in each other's way. Gibbs was arguably in a better position to attack the ball.

This report lays some blame at his door:

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/west-brom-player-ratings-leicester-18927596

"O’Shea 4
The Irish international will play wherever you need him to - here, he was on the left of a back three.

Coped well enough first half, Albion became ragged at the back in the second half and he was beaten in the air by Castagne for the goal and then by Vardy prior to the penalty, then conceded the second spot-kick. A tough lesson."

Interesting, that was my first take too, but I am not so sure now. I would like to hear bilics view I feel its probably the same.

A 4, given how irelands players never seem to rate lower than a 6 when they should be at most a 4 seems quite tough but fair and realistic.

paul_oshea
13/09/2020, 4:47 PM
Depends CraftyToePoke. Some of these guys have tried to be smart and condescending about some of my posts regarding the dismal Finland performance because they collectively just didn't agree with them so they are fair game. In general I don't try to be.

I enjoy your posts, i think ive said it on here before, and i understand your frustration with the carebears. But ya maybe try and not let it go to you as much. There are some of us on here with a clearer view.