PDA

View Full Version : Dara O'Shea (D Burnley b.1999)

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6

Olé Olé
13/09/2020, 4:49 PM
"O’Shea 4
The Irish international will play wherever you need him to - here, he was on the left of a back three.

Coped well enough first half, Albion became ragged at the back in the second half and he was beaten in the air by Castagne for the goal and then by Vardy prior to the penalty, then conceded the second spot-kick. A tough lesson."

Interesting, that was my first take too, but I am not so sure now. I would like to hear bilics view I feel its probably the same.

A 4, given how irelands players never seem to rate lower than a 6 when they should be at most a 4 seems quite tough but fair and realistic.
I can't see how he is taking blame for that goal. He was picking up Jamie Vardy and it was Gibbs that was beaten.

DeLorean
13/09/2020, 4:52 PM
O'Shea had a really difficult day, even prior to his penalty concession, but he's completely blameless for the opening goal imo. It's Gibbs' man, Gibbs is the one facing the play, he doesn't do anywhere near enough. O'Shea is marking Vardy in the centre and is backtracking against a player attacking the ball. He hasn't a hope.

Stuttgart88
13/09/2020, 5:19 PM
Yes i agree with most of this and i also thought at first hes got to attack that and head it out, but looking bcak a couple of times he was going backwards trying to get a drop and then attack it, it was just the perfect flight of a ball. So he cant really be blamed, but ya someone like van dijk is probably going to get a head on that regardless. So 90% gibbs, 10% Oshea.

And no commentator or post match attributed any blame to him, unless you heard something? Was wonder what bilic would have said actually. I'd be a little bit worried about him retaining his place after the result and his own personal performance.

The Del and stutts tag team, you post on this thread, ya go on, ill thanks it. good man. job done. A1 Sir.You can slag me off all you want but all you actually did there was agree with me, replacing (tall) Van Dijk with my (tall) Duffy. Del’s response was to thank my post, yours was an attempt to bond with YI. It looks to me you’re smitten by him. The internet is a dangerous place Paul, be careful.

youngirish
13/09/2020, 5:25 PM
You can slag me off all you want but all you actually did there was agree with me, replacing (tall) Van Dijk with my (tall) Duffy. Del’s response was to thank my post, yours was an attempt to bond with YI. It looks to me you’re smitten by him. The internet is a dangerous place Paul, be careful.

He doesn't thank the majority of my posts though Stutts.

In fairness I've always found your posts very measured though I would argue, whilst O'Shea wasn't helped out by West Brom's setup, I still think he was one of their poorer players. In fairness that's small margins of disagreement. Let's just agree he definitely didn't have a good game by any measure.

To sum up the more suspect views on here we had somebody saying James McCarthy had an assist yesterday when in reality he put a tackle in, the ball bounced out to Townsend (it could have went anywhere), who then proceeded to sprint 60 metres up the pitch before putting an inch perfect cross into Zaha. Zaha then slotted a nice volley into the net. When that's described as an assist you can see that the poster is viewing the game through a very deeply tinted green shade of glasses.

In fairness I would say McCarthy was good yesterday but Hendrick was far, far better.

Trequartista20
13/09/2020, 5:38 PM
You can slag me off all you want but all you actually did there was agree with me, replacing (tall) Van Dijk with my (tall) Duffy. Del’s response was to thank my post, yours was an attempt to bond with YI. It looks to me you’re smitten by him. The internet is a dangerous place Paul, be careful.

Paul's obviously never watched Catfish.

SkStu
13/09/2020, 5:42 PM

In fairness I've always found your posts very measured though I would argue, whilst O'Shea wasn't helped out by West Brom's setup, I still think he was one of their poorer players. In fairness that's small margins of disagreement. Let's just agree he definitely didn't have a good game by any measure.

To sum up the more suspect views on here we had somebody saying James McCarthy had an assist yesterday when in reality he put a tackle in, the ball bounced out to Townsend (it could have went anywhere), who then proceeded to sprint 60 metres up the pitch before putting an inch perfect cross into Zaha. Zaha then slotted a nice volley into the net. When that's described as an assist you can see that the poster is viewing the game through a very deeply tinted green shade of glasses.

In fairness I would say McCarthy was good yesterday but Hendrick was far, far better.

As fans we look for positives. We clutch into what we can, for glimpses of hope for the next game in green for any of these players. Yourself and Paul come from a different perspective. It’s balance. It’s fine. Its fine to disagree. None of its worth getting all worked up about. There is an aggressive and mean streak there in your posts that’s not needed.

DeLorean
13/09/2020, 5:59 PM

Well it certainly wasn't an assist in a 'Fantasy Football' sense, but it was a really crucial contribution to the goal, as his dispossession initiated the counter attack. I wouldn't get too worked up about the wording.

Agree on both counts but I don't think they're vying the same position for us, if that's your thinking.

youngirish
13/09/2020, 6:18 PM
Agree on both counts but I don't think they're vying the same position for us, if that's your thinking.
Not so much. I just think a fit and in form Hendrick will be more important to the team in the play-off next month. We can't afford our midfield to be as static and laboured as the last 2 games or we've no chance against, what looks to be, a very average Slovakian team. An in form Hendrick can occasionally provide that spark that can be the difference between winning or drawing a game.

Hopefully both are doing well and playing regularly for their clubs.

paul_oshea
13/09/2020, 6:41 PM

Hah youll note I said on my post after that I did my reply before reading your reply!

irishfan86
13/09/2020, 11:21 PM
It’s a positive that he got the start, and I don’t think it was a disaster debut.

But he clearly is a player who needs more experience and I suspect the penalty was a combination of tiredness/lack of focus/lack of awareness.

We are strong in defensive positions right now and he is still very young. You can see the raw ingredients are there though and hopefully within a year or two he’ll provide further competition.

Trequartista20
13/09/2020, 11:32 PM
Unless I'm mistaken, Kenny left O'Shea out of the original squad, which included only three central defenders, yet, despite no defensive withdrawals later called him up, only to leave him out of both matchday squads in favour of having two goalkeepers on the bench.

Am I the only one to find this rather strange?

irishfan86
13/09/2020, 11:56 PM
Yep definitely no point having two goalkeepers on the bench. Only thing I can think of is that the two goalkeepers are closer to potentially needing to be involved. Having them participate in the pre-game warmup and experience the stadium on match day could be seen as key.

O’Shea still got to train with the group outside of match day so I can hypothetically see the value here given both backup keepers are incredibly green but might need to step in as soon as next month in a qualifier if God forbid anything happens to Randolph between now and then.

elatedscum
14/09/2020, 3:08 AM
You have to have 2 keepers on the bench. Has to be a squad of 23 with 3 nominated keepers

seanfhear
14/09/2020, 4:19 AM
You have to have 2 keepers on the bench. Has to be a squad of 23 with 3 nominated keepers
Sure ya could nominate Dara O'Shea as one of the Goalkeepers if ya really wanted him on the bench :wink

Stuttgart88
14/09/2020, 7:31 AM

In fairness I would say McCarthy was good yesterday but Hendrick was far, far better.Does anyone (other than Paul obviously) keep track of who thanks whose posts? I don't, though I've noticed Paul does always come in behind the biggest trolls on this forum over the years. He has a particular dislike for a few posters here and I think he takes the "my enemy's enemy is my friend" approach.

I actually enjoy your football observations. I think you do get too wound up and too early FWIW. If someone is winding you up just ignore, like I'm unable to do.

And like Stu said above, we're just fans who look for the best because we want Ireland to do well. A bit of an opitimism bias isn't such a bad thing.

Trequartista20
14/09/2020, 8:00 AM

Thanks for explaining that.

DeLorean
14/09/2020, 8:37 AM
West Brom have signed Branislav Ivanovic, it seems - https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/54139647

paul_oshea
14/09/2020, 8:47 AM
Called it. That's that then. Hopefully he gets a loan move to League 2.

Joking(Kind of) :D If Ivanovic has pace its a sensible move, he will provide a lot of experience and leadership to a generally poor back 3/5

seanfhear
14/09/2020, 9:23 AM
Called it. That's that then. Hopefully he gets a loan move to League 2.

Joking(Kind of) :D If Ivanovic has pace its a sensible move, he will provide a lot of experience and leadership to a generally poor back 3/5
if its the Ivanovic that was at Chelsea then he does not have pace. At his age more likely a pace-maker.

Eirambler
14/09/2020, 9:43 AM
Sure ya could nominate Dara O'Shea as one of the Goalkeepers if ya really wanted him on the bench :wink

Then you could only play him in goal. Would be taking the concept of a sweeper keeper to a fairly extreme level.

paul_oshea
14/09/2020, 10:01 AM
if its the Ivanovic that was at Chelsea then he does not have pace. At his age more likely a pace-maker.

ya, with that in mind, i jest i jest. But he can't be the left or right side of a 3 for that reason? So maybe Dara is ok for now. Unless they move bartley or the other fella out.

DeLorean
14/09/2020, 10:05 AM
I think I heard the commentator say it wasn't a formation they used very often last season anyway? If so, it made the baptism of fire even tougher for O'Shea. Maybe Bilic will consider reverting to a back four now.

Olé Olé
14/09/2020, 11:28 AM
Yeah, it seemed a strange one. Not sure if the idea was to contain Vardy but ensure not to sacrifice someone from the front three.

Hegazy and Ivanovic will be knocking on the door to start next game out. I would say Bartley is number one for being dropped. A toss up between the others.

Signing a midfielder wouldn't be a bad idea for them either.

paul_oshea
14/09/2020, 11:49 AM
Watching West bRom yesterday reminded me of watching Ireland, maybe not as bad defensively but we haven't come up against a Vardy type very recently. We were slow, runners being missed, not getting the ball up top easily, relying on one man. Midfield non-existent. Bilic needs to learn the irish formula and completely eradicate it from this team :D

Stuttgart88
14/09/2020, 12:45 PM
Very similar. At least under Trap (with exception of Russia) teams found it hard to get between our lines. Leicester were directly facing WBA's defence multiple times yesterday.

Charlie Darwin
18/09/2020, 3:41 AM
I enjoy your posts, i think ive said it on here before, and i understand your frustration with the carebears. But ya maybe try and not let it go to you as much. There are some of us on here with a clearer view.
This is the most paul oshea post in the history of paul oshea.

youngirish
19/09/2020, 10:34 AM
Keeps his place in the team in a difficult game away to Everton after a decent performance midweek in the cup and a lack of alternative options for West Brom. He has potential this lad so hopefully we see a better performance from him and his team than against Leicester.

tommy_c12000
19/09/2020, 11:58 AM
Dare I ask, how is Dara doing today? I don’t have access to the game

passinginterest
19/09/2020, 11:58 AM
Looks pretty good so far. Played a couple of lovely passes. Gave away a fairly cheap free in a dangerous area and was pulling a shirt from the subsequent free that could have been a penalty shout. Made a good covering tackle on another occasion. It’s a pretty eventful match so far. Robinson having some good moments too and Coleman going the other way!

Olé Olé
19/09/2020, 12:37 PM
Gibbs sent off so it will be a long second half for O'Shea and probably Robinson given that they'll have to adjust the shape a bit.

Olé Olé
19/09/2020, 12:51 PM
O'Shea is playing left back now. There was a funny moment there where Seamus Coleman ran at O'Shea and turned him inside out. O'Shea recovered well to block the cross by Coleman. Poor form by Seamie!

seanfhear
19/09/2020, 12:58 PM
O'Shea is playing left back now. There was a funny moment there where Seamus Coleman ran at O'Shea and turned him inside out. O'Shea recovered well to block the cross by Coleman. Poor form by Seamie!
Just training him for Ireland !

Eirambler
26/09/2020, 6:34 PM
Even though West Brom conceded three I thought O'Shea was solid enough today, if he can keep his first team place all season I think we could have a serious first team prospect on our hands by next summer that can challenge for one of the centre back positions - he should only get better the more he plays at this level.

Trequartista20
26/09/2020, 8:01 PM
He's a very useful player to have in the context of a squad as well, inasmuch as he can play anywhere across the back four - or three.

I wonder if he'll be in the panel from the start this time round.

Charlie Darwin
27/09/2020, 3:43 AM
He's a very useful player to have in the context of a squad as well, inasmuch as he can play anywhere across the back four - or three.

I wonder if he'll be in the panel from the start this time round.
Hard to know - he is probably ahead of Lenihan now but Clark is fit again and Long is getting his game for Burnley (and Dunne) so there's competition. Wonder if Stephen will bring an extra defender - do we know if the travelling party is still limited to 23?

Olé Olé
04/10/2020, 10:19 AM
Looks like WBA have shifted to a back four today. Darnell Furlong has been right wing back but has been dropped for Kyle Edwards, an attacking player.

O'Shea keeps his place so it's likely he'll be right back in a flatter four.

Diggs246
04/10/2020, 11:14 AM
....and Doherty's understudy for Thursday

Olé Olé
17/10/2020, 5:37 PM
Bilic likes Dara O'Shea. And I like Bilic after his positive words about Ireland.

Slaven Bilic says making Ireland debut will help Dara O’Shea’s confidence https://the42.ie/5236261

BOOMSHAKALAKA
19/10/2020, 3:44 PM
From that article:

"I was the new manager, I came here and then you start and after two seconds, you hear ‘How many touches?’, ‘How many that?’ – Dara never asked that, he knew. He listens to everything and that’s a big part of his improvement.“He listens he thinks about his game. He is like a sponge. He listens to you and tries to improve his game, and that’s why his improvement has been really unbelievable.
“If you consider where he was last season at this time and where he is now, it’s like a fairytale. But he deserves it all.
“The main thing is is quality, but apart from the quality, it’s also his determination and his focus."

And then what does Bilic do? Drops him, that's what! I think you'll have to end your man crush on Bilic after this episode Olé Olé.

Bielsa´s irish
12/12/2020, 3:13 PM
best player in a horrible defence, got a streetwise lesson by Callum Wilson after 20 second, Dara cover the pass!!! Improved after that one, he is the future

Bielsa´s irish
12/12/2020, 3:25 PM
Has a tendency of going to the floor too much, what a game vs Almirón and Wilson, a baptism of fire

Bielsa´s irish
12/12/2020, 5:15 PM
Ive got to tell you this guy won me over, such a lovely player, so composed on the ball reminds me a bit of the greek guy at Arsenal. I think we have a central midfielder in the making, can play the back 4, but we could be an asset as center holding midfield ....dont want to rush expectations but showed a bit of Paul McGrath in him,

Bielsa´s irish
12/12/2020, 5:20 PM
Sokratis Papastathopoulos kind of `player, while he is young I would play him in central midfield, he has to improve a bit, but this kid has some ability on the ball, uses it very good, Dont see his best place is as a defender but in midfield

Olé Olé
15/12/2020, 6:22 PM
Bilic liked what he saw the weekend. Looks like he partners Ajayi at centre back in a back four tonight.

Bielsa´s irish
15/12/2020, 6:33 PM
So cool on the ball, he won me over last match, but I would try him as defensive midfielder, read this Stephen Kenny. He could play fullback position, but I would try him as a holding midfielder

Razors left peg
15/12/2020, 6:44 PM
So cool on the ball, he won me over last match, but I would try him as defensive midfielder, read this Stephen Kenny. He could play fullback position, but I would try him as a holding midfielder

You said the exact same thing 3 posts in a row. Hes a good player and seems versatile and you might actually be right eventually, but as far as Im aware hes always been a defender and is doing well there now, stepping into midfield is completely different

Bielsa´s irish
15/12/2020, 8:12 PM
You said the exact same thing 3 posts in a row. Hes a good player and seems versatile and you might actually be right eventually, but as far as Im aware hes always been a defender and is doing well there now, stepping into midfield is completely different

I understand but if we play him as anchorman there we could play two attacking mids, if the coach persists with 4-3-3.

We have played kevin Moran, Lawro, McGrath and Kenna there in the past

Razors left peg
15/12/2020, 8:17 PM
I understand but if we play him as anchorman there we could play two attacking mids, if the coach persists with 4-3-3.

We have played kevin Moran, Lawro, McGrath and Kenna there in the past
We have also played Christie there and he was sh1te. Lets pick players in their positions

Bielsa´s irish
15/12/2020, 8:47 PM
We have also played Christie there and he was sh1te. Lets pick players in their positions

So once didnt work because of individual performance, and not for tactical versatility.

Works, even more when younger.

Razors left peg
15/12/2020, 8:50 PM
Hes been brilliant tonight against City, hes developing into a very good defender