PDA

View Full Version : Shamrock Rovers Examinership Thread

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

manic da hoop
14/04/2005, 3:06 PM
Dublin City will have bitten the dust, or at least be operating under a different name, long before this club goes to the wall.

drummerboy
14/04/2005, 3:08 PM
Ringo you sound like a very bitter man. Look closer to home for wrong doing. I know for a fact there is an ex manager of CHF who was left short of money. Fingal Co Council were left waiting a long time to be paid by Dublin City for Morton Stadium, not sure if they ever stumped up. I also remember Dublin City having to play Norwich in the AUL because there was money due to Home Farm in Whitehall. Norwich match was eventually played in Tolka.

Bald Student
14/04/2005, 3:49 PM
I read in yesterday's Herald that Rovers owe Terry Palmer money. This seems to be in direct contradiction of the UEFA License requirement which states:

No Payables Overdue towards Employees
The Licence Applicant must prove that it has had no payables overdue arising from contractual agreements with its employees

This is on page 105 of the Manual if anyone wants to check it out. It doesn't seem to give the licensing committee much room for intrepetation.

joeraki
14/04/2005, 4:22 PM
Rovers fans arguing with Dublin City fans. Have things really gotten THAT bad for the hoops :D

monkey magic
14/04/2005, 5:03 PM
Where do you get this from? The SDCC has recently, as in the past few days, announced again that they will be building the stadium and Rovers will be anchor tennants. If there are no complications with planning permission building will start later this year.

twas a mere question... which you answered ;)

Ringo
14/04/2005, 7:01 PM
Ringo you sound like a very bitter man. Look closer to home for wrong doing. I know for a fact there is an ex manager of CHF who was left short of money. Fingal Co Council were left waiting a long time to be paid by Dublin City for Morton Stadium, not sure if they ever stumped up. I also remember Dublin City having to play Norwich in the AUL because there was money due to Home Farm in Whitehall. Norwich match was eventually played in Tolka.
I'm not a bitter man. In fact I’m like a pebble in the stream, allowing these things to flow over me :) . I'd rather be in First division, in our position than be in Rovers position. We could have over spent in a bid to stay up , but we didn't.Their welcome to Roddy. my whole argument all along about the Roddy thing , was the carry on behind the scenes, not the fact of Roddy leaving. On the Joe Duffy show he told the nation That "rocky knew why he left". We’ve heard nothing from him since. Roddy's a joke, the rovers fans are only realizing that now. There are a lot more important things in my life at the moment, than rovers or Roddy. I enjoy debating eircom league soccer. But some fans are living in cloud cuckoo land. Rovers is a name that companies have used over the years to rip fans, the taxman & taxpayers off. I can’t see the club coming up with 13k every week .

Éanna
14/04/2005, 7:26 PM
as apposed to Cork Hibernians Cork City :rolleyes:
DIFFERENT CLUBS. Are you that bloody thick that you cannot see the difference? There IS a clear difference between a club re-naming itself over and over again in a pathetic attempt to jump on the franchise bandwagon, and a club folding and a new one emerging. Major difference.

No it s not & no it doeent happen all the time in the business, in most cases its against the law. Its not a football team thing, it happened between two business's, that are supposed to regulated :rolleyes: by The eircom League. It wouldn't happen in any other country in the world.
See the bit in bold- thats where your argument collapses. Roddy did nothing wrong. Immoral maybe, the act of unmitigated *****, maybe, but he did not break any rules.

As for Roddy: everyone knows the guy is a cowboy. Home Farm City hired him on a non-contract basis, because he was pulling a fast one on Carlisle- CHF were willing partners in that dodgy deal, and then they cry innocent when he does it to them?! FFS, most eL fans could have predicted Roddy would do something like that at some stage. Your gloating is just sickening, it really is. Now get over yourself Ringo- go burn some photos of Roddy or stick his face on your teddy and stick needles in it, but quit boring everyone with your anti-Roddy obsession.

Ringo
14/04/2005, 8:22 PM
DIFFERENT CLUBS. Are you that bloody thick that you cannot see the difference? There IS a clear difference between a club re-naming itself over and over again in a pathetic attempt to jump on the franchise bandwagon, and a club folding and a new one emerging. Major difference.

See the bit in bold- thats where your argument collapses. Roddy did nothing wrong. Immoral maybe, the act of unmitigated *****, maybe, but he did not break any rules.

As for Roddy: everyone knows the guy is a cowboy. Home Farm City hired him on a non-contract basis, because he was pulling a fast one on Carlisle- CHF were willing partners in that dodgy deal, and then they cry innocent when he does it to them?! FFS, most eL fans could have predicted Roddy would do something like that at some stage. Your gloating is just sickening, it really is. Now get over yourself Ringo- go burn some photos of Roddy or stick his face on your teddy and stick needles in it, but quit boring everyone with your anti-Roddy obsession.

Attack the post not the poster :p . you seem more upset & obsessed than me ;) . You need to get out more often. Do you really think i give two Fcuks about Roddy or Rovers . I'm just pointing out some home truths & people don't like that, tough. Stop replying let the thread die a peaceful death.

Slash/ED
14/04/2005, 8:27 PM
Don't even try and claim you don't care about Roddy or Rovers :D That is laughable.

Éanna
14/04/2005, 8:58 PM
Do you really think i give two Fcuks about Roddy or Rovers .
Not just that, I think you can't let go over it. Otherwise why would you have continuously brought up Roddy's departure from your "club" in a thread that has sweet FA got to do with your club, and very little to do with Roddy himself :rolleyes:

I'm just pointing out some home truths & people don't like that, tough. Stop replying let the thread die a peaceful death.
The home truths you are pointing out are not "truths" at all. They are bitter, nasty digs at a club who you (justifiably/ understandably) dislike.

Ringo
14/04/2005, 9:07 PM
The home truths you are pointing out are not "truths" at all. They are bitter, nasty digs at a club who you (justifiably/ understandably) dislike.

How is pointing out that the don't have a snowballs chance in hell of paying off the 2.5million or restructering in the next three months , bitter, nasty digs. What un-truths about Rovers have i posted? They're comments on how i see things going. How can the same board, get themselves out of the mess they got themselves into, in three months. :confused:

Éanna
14/04/2005, 9:16 PM
How is pointing out that the don't have a snowballs chance in hell of paying off the 2.5million or restructering in the next three months , bitter, nasty digs. What un-truths about Rovers have i posted? They're comments on how i see things going. How can the same board, get themselves out of the mess they got themselves into, in three months. :confused:
I'm not defending the actions of Swiss Tony or the other idiots on the Rovers board. I DO however realise that if SRFC was to go bust, it would represent a massive loss to the league as a whole- their fans, their tradition, their reputation are all valuable assets to a league that has little enough to attract as it is. Rovers DO need to get their house in order, pronto, but gloating at the possibility of their demise is plain stupid and short-sighted.

Mr A
14/04/2005, 9:21 PM
To return to the actual topic- I'm surprised no one has mentioned one of the revelations in the Irish Times a couple of days ago. This was that 900k was taken from the development funds (I think the company is Sloan Park or some such) for Rovers and used in day to day running of the club. The piece went on to mention that this was in direct contravention of Department of Sport and Tourism guidelines for the use of grant monies.

If this is taken at face value then there's little point in Rovers fans gurning about the government or FAI not helping out as when they did get grant money they spent it on players. That's not just another club getting itself in financial trouble, that's akin to fraud on a fairly large scale. While Rovers fans may deserve plenty of sympathy at the same time the club pretty much deserves whatever happens to it, and probably a lot more besides.

Éanna
14/04/2005, 9:26 PM
If this is taken at face value then there's little point in Rovers fans gurning about the government or FAI not helping out as when they did get grant money they spent it on players. That's not just another club getting itself in financial trouble, that's akin to fraud on a fairly large scale. While Rovers fans may deserve plenty of sympathy at the same time the club pretty much deserves whatever happens to it, and probably a lot more besides.
hard to disagree with that at all. The board running rovers are an absolute disgrace- I'm sure Rovers fans would be the first to say that

pineapple stu
14/04/2005, 10:08 PM
To return to the actual topic- I'm surprised no one has mentioned one of the revelations in the Irish Times a couple of days ago. This was that 900k was taken from the development funds (I think the company is Sloan Park or some such) for Rovers and used in day to day running of the club. The piece went on to mention that this was in direct contravention of Department of Sport and Tourism guidelines for the use of grant monies.
This is old news, I think. They and Pat's (?) did it. This is the reason why grants for ground development hasn't been forthcoming in recent seasons. So not only are Rovers' board (and Pat's') holding their own club back, they're holding the rest of the league back too... :mad:

pete
14/04/2005, 10:55 PM
Heres a question for Ringo - Would we be better off with a league of Rovers (debts & all) or a league of Dublin Citys?

Rovers debts 'n all have more of a futre than Dublin City - i cannot think of reason for your club. Sure you'll get promotion some seasons but will just recycle players from the relegated dublin or surrounding area. Has Dublin City improved in the last 3 years? was there a point to promotion? Have crowds, structures, facilities improved?

From what i hear the structure of the Rovers debt (2.5m sound a lot) is such that chances of salvation of fairly good with e new board. Its the Rovers 300 odd members of their '400' club that will save their club - have DC ever had 300 home fans at a game?

A face
14/04/2005, 11:13 PM
Its the Rovers 300 odd members of their '400' club that will save their club - have DC ever had 300 home fans at a game?

If the 300 odd actually do pull them out of the fire, then it will be the single best act by any grouping of fans on the island yet, and all credit should be given to them. Rovers fans lead the way with the tifo style displays and created atmosphere at their games but this would top it to be fair .... fair play to all involved.

Derek
14/04/2005, 11:25 PM
Heres a question for Ringo - Would we be better off with a league of Rovers (debts & all) or a league of Dublin Citys?

Rovers debts 'n all have more of a futre than Dublin City - i cannot think of reason for your club. Sure you'll get promotion some seasons but will just recycle players from the relegated dublin or surrounding area. Has Dublin City improved in the last 3 years? was there a point to promotion? Have crowds, structures, facilities improved?

From what i hear the structure of the Rovers debt (2.5m sound a lot) is such that chances of salvation of fairly good with e new board. Its the Rovers 300 odd members of their '400' club that will save their club - have DC ever had 300 home fans at a game?

Why do you hate Dublin City so much?
All clubs start somewhere, we can't be hundreds of years old and have thousands of fans from day one.
How many fans did your club have after three years?
What is your criteria for a club to be allowed to exist?
Is it that you must have a minimum amount of fans and be a minimum years worth of history and tradition?

If we stay in existence for another twenty/thirty/forty years would you accept us then?

dcfcsteve
15/04/2005, 12:01 AM
Why do you hate Dublin City so much?
All clubs start somewhere, we can't be hundreds of years old and have thousands of fans from day one.
How many fans did your club have after three years?
What is your criteria for a club to be allowed to exist?
Is it that you must have a minimum amount of fans and be a minimum years worth of history and tradition?

If we stay in existence for another twenty/thirty/forty years would you accept us then?

Derek - Dublin City AREN'T 3 years old. Your interest in them may date back to then - but in actual fact the club goes back a lot further. You're just Home Farm with a new name, and they've been in the league for decades - much longer than Cork City, Derry City, Bray Wanderers, Longford Town, Cobh Ramblers, Monaghan United, Kildare County, Kilkenny City, and the ill-fated NewcastleWest and St Francis have been. You've therefore been in existence as a league club for longer than at least 40% of the rest of the league. How does that make you a new club....?

Kildare County - now they're a new club. Applied to join the league, got accepted, and are slowly evolving into a team that can represent their town and County.

Dublin City - just took an existing club with very few fans, changed it's name and assumed it's league position. No new application to join, no new set-up. Same club, same players, same lack of fans. Just a new name and grander aspirations.

The fact that your club has gone through more name changes than The Jackal in the last 20 years says a lot about your role and position in Irish football.....

Derek
15/04/2005, 12:21 AM
Derek - Dublin City AREN'T 3 years old. Your interest in them may date back to then - but in actual fact the club goes back a lot further. You're just Home Farm with a new name, and they've been in the league for decades - much longer than Cork City, Derry City, Bray Wanderers, Longford Town, Cobh Ramblers, Monaghan United, Kildare County, Kilkenny City, and the ill-fated NewcastleWest and St Francis have been. You've therefore been in existence as a league club for longer than at least 40% of the rest of the league. How does that make you a new club....?

Kildare County - now they're a new club. Applied to join the league, got accepted, and are slowly evolving into a team that can represent their town and County.

Dublin City - just took an existing club with very few fans, changed it's name and assumed it's league position. No new application to join, no new set-up. Same club, same players, same lack of fans. Just a new name and grander aspirations.

The fact that your club has gone through more name changes than The Jackal in the last 20 years says a lot about your role and position in Irish football.....

How about this for a solution then.

1. Rovers go bang.
2. Leaguge spot available.
3. Dublin City take new licence give old one back to homefarm.
4. We are new club.
5. Everybody stops calling us Homefarm.
6. Everybody loves us cause we are a new club.
7. Everyone stops moaning about Dublin City being a joke.

How about that dcfcSteve.

mypost
15/04/2005, 3:47 AM
Your great , run up 2.5 million & then decide to do something about it. Cop on. Your going out of business. You have no chance of paying back the money. slagging of other clubs that are playing by the rules & not living beyond their meens is sad. Make the most of your next few games, their going to be your last in the league for a long time. :D

Just like to remind you that in July 2003, Chelsea were £93 million in debt, and were 1 week away from administration before they were bought by an oligarch. Now they are Premiership champions, CL semi-finalists, and awash with money. If they can do it, so can Rovers.

mypost
15/04/2005, 3:53 AM
Can we have special treatment too so :rolleyes:

On what grounds? :confused: Pardon the pun!!

Your situation is totally different. It's like when Pats left Richmond to play in Harolds Cross for 4 seasons. Whitehall is still your home ground, whereas we don't have any.

mypost
15/04/2005, 4:11 AM
Read this post. Roddy was in discussions with Rovers board, while he was still manager of Dublin City, the team that was in a relegation battle with Rovers.

Right, read it! I would just like to point out once again, that there was no relegation battle last season. As soon as it was announced that only 1 team would be relegated, everyone knew that it would be Home Farm. Guess who were relegated? Home Farm!! At the point that Roddy joined us, we were 7 points clear of them, so there was no battle. Home Farm were duly relegated, and finished 13 points from safety. Whether RC was in charge of Home Farm or not, wouldn't have affected the final placings.

As regards players not playing for you when RC left your club, 2 Rovers players have already threatened to leave this season. Are our fans whinging and whining about it?? No, we can understand players who are considering leaving the club because of the current situation. It's unpleasant but understandable.

Ringo
15/04/2005, 6:54 AM

If you talk to Home Farm, you'll get a different story. As has been pointed out before, there is no queue to get into the Eircom league. Dublin City started at the bottom. The licence was bleeding Home Farm dry; they were only delighted for someone to take it on. They want nothing to do with Dublin City & have in fact gone out of their way to awkward. Who exactly are we keeping out of the league?

Ringo
15/04/2005, 6:56 AM
. Whitehall is still your home ground, whereas we don't have any.

Where have you been :confused: . it wasn't even our ground last year. do you actually go to games?

Ringo
15/04/2005, 6:59 AM
Just like to remind you that in July 2003, Chelsea were £93 million in debt, and were 1 week away from administration before they were bought by an oligarch. Now they are Premiership champions, CL semi-finalists, and awash with money. If they can do it, so can Rovers.

They had assets, huge fan base & huge merchandising opportunities. Are you seriously telling me sthere a suger dady out there who is going to come up with the money to pay off the debts of Rovers.

Macy
15/04/2005, 7:26 AM
If you talk to Home Farm, you'll get a different story. As has been pointed out before, there is no queue to get into the Eircom league. Dublin City started at the bottom. The licence was bleeding Home Farm dry; they were only delighted for someone to take it on. They want nothing to do with Dublin City & have in fact gone out of their way to awkward. Who exactly are we keeping out of the league?
Right so, so did you apply to join the league or not? Or was it processed as a name change or new application? You can't change your story to suit the circumstances.

Mullingar Athletic tried to join the league at the same time as Kildare btw, and I'm sure if they knew there was a "new" spot in the league they would've applied again. But there wasn't, as it was a name change, unless it was a lie.

Edit - Same time as Kildare, when St Francis left/merged

Ringo
15/04/2005, 8:46 AM
Mullingar Athletic tried to join the league at the same time as St Francis btw, and I'm sure if they knew there was a "new" spot in the league they would've applied again. But there wasn't, as it was a name change, unless it was a lie.

Everyone year the lowest team is re-elected , if no other team wants to come in ,AFAIK, why has their never been a vote on Mullingar Athletic or St Francis ?

pete
15/04/2005, 8:48 AM
I don't hate DC but Ringo seemed to be taking too much pleasure in the problems of a another eL club so was valid to point out the idiocy of his posts.

Ringo
15/04/2005, 9:02 AM

1. It doesn't sound like a lot, it is a lot.
2. They can't get a new board till after the examinership.
3. With all due respect to the 400 club, no one would expect them to fund the present board.
4. Where is the money going to come from?

wws
15/04/2005, 9:03 AM
I don't hate DC but Ringo seemed to be taking too much pleasure in the problems of a another eL club so was valid to point out the idiocy of his posts.

possibly he's the lone voice of dissent from the el buddy club with their foaming at the mouth moral indignation - and lack of common sense with regard to a shower of cowboys taking the píss on a grand theft auto scale - and making free with state aid and priviliges which would be better served ploughed into responsible outfits

wont somebody PLEASE think of the Shamrocks :rolleyes:

OneRedArmy
15/04/2005, 9:37 AM
possibly he's the lone voice of dissent from the el buddy club with their foaming at the mouth moral indignation - and lack of common sense with regard to a shower of cowboys taking the píss on a grand theft auto scale - and making free with state aid and priviliges which would be better served ploughed into responsible outfits

wont somebody PLEASE think of the Shamrocks :rolleyes:

I thought'd you'd empathise with Rovers. Weren't Pats the other club that misapropriated capital grant money for other purposes?

wws
15/04/2005, 10:05 AM
gee u got me there

head for the hills ma baker!

more el fan nonsense

get into the real world u idiot - WE HAVENT EVN GOT THE GRANT MONEY we were supposed to fcking get

geesh where do these ppl come from :rolleyes:

NY Hoop
15/04/2005, 12:27 PM
Your great , run up 2.5 million & then decide to do something about it. Cop on. Your going out of business. You have no chance of paying back the money. slagging of other clubs that are playing by the rules & not living beyond their meens is sad. Make the most of your next few games, their going to be your last in the league for a long time. :D

Dear obsessed it wasnt me or any of the fans who ran up this outrageous debt. We're not going out of business. Here's why: we have fans that are extraordinarily passionate about the club and are now working to raise funds to get us through this.

Another fact is that every club lives beyond its means. How does CHF pay its players when the gate receipts are the equivalent of a round a drinks?

Only 2 members of the board are in situ during the present administration. If they stump up the cash they will be the future of the club but that is hardly likely.

We deal with facts and reality. You live in an anti Roddy, anti Rovers fantasy. You'd rather be in the first division than being in the premier?! Good boy that sums up your club alright managed by a nutter supported by????????????????????????????????

Come back if you have constructive criticism or even a point to make. If not nobody will miss you like your club who should be replaced by a team from Kerry.

KOH

Bald Student
15/04/2005, 12:42 PM
Another fact is that every club lives beyond its means.Don't tar us all with the same brush.

Since you haven't seen accounts for every club don't use the word 'fact' either. It's a word that gets used too much on this forum.

dcfcsteve
15/04/2005, 12:53 PM
Everyone year the lowest team is re-elected , if no other team wants to come in ,AFAIK, why has their never been a vote on Mullingar Athletic or St Francis ?

Ringo - all of this doesn't escape the fact that Dublin City were NOT a new team. Regardless of what your relationship may or may not be with Home Farm now, and regardless of what their particular circumstances were at the time, there is a straight line between Home Farm's league membership and yours. The 2 of them are inextricably linked, as one and the same.

If there aren't, then I look forward to hearing about Dublin City's application to join the league. Whether or not anyone else is banging on the door to join is irrelevant.

And besides - the league's always managed to find teams when it's wanted to/had to, so don't be thinking you're the only club in the village now.....

skitz3
15/04/2005, 2:05 PM
Regardless of much rovers have deteriorated in the past couple of decades it would indeed be a sad day for Irish football.
At present rovers are in as bad a state than St. Francis were a few years ago (if not worse) and do have little hope of recovery. Also they have the worse fans in the league, not saying all their fans are bad but they have attracted bad support to the club which has made them one of the country's favourite teams to hate.
There is great tradition associated with the club that has been lost in translation recently. E.g. the atmosphere that used to be generated from the games when rovers and shels both hailed from the Pearse St./Ringsend area was just magic and very treasurable (that was a proper rivalry without the violence the game sees today).
Then both teams moved away but not without leaving behind some memorable matches. :)

I personally am a Shels fan (ence the crest) but the day rovers are gone will be a sad day for irish soccer just like when the memorable drums ( and St. Francis to a lesser extent) went away.

Good luck rovers and all the best with the current situation. :(

manic da hoop
15/04/2005, 2:26 PM
they have the worse fans in the league
:(

It is those very fans that will prove to be the difference between the survival and destruction of this club. How many other clubs in this league have hundreds of supporters to call upon to dig deep into their pockets to bail it out with gaining nothing in return except the satisfaction of saving the sporting institution they love.

Check Pat Dolan's atricle in today's Star for a much appriciated endorsement.

Ringo
15/04/2005, 3:16 PM
Check Pat Dolan's atricle in today's Star for a much appriciated endorsement.

:rolleyes: was it not him that got pat's into trouble.

bluemovie
15/04/2005, 3:45 PM
Dolan had the cheek to say the UEFA licensing system is "a stunt from Planet PR"..........PAT DOLAN complaining about PR stunts!!!!!!! :eek:

Slash/ED
15/04/2005, 3:46 PM
Planet PR is his homeland, so he'd easily spot any natives.

Green Force
16/04/2005, 1:52 AM
There is no sanction in the rules or the licence against a club being liquidated or going into examinership.

Ringo makes a good point about it not being fair that we racked up loads of debt to pay higher wages than Dublin City. However it is not covered by Eircom League or FAI rules. Life is unfair.
Where it will come back to bite is if the Judge decides to pursue the Directors of Rovers if he believes they knowingly traded recklessly, if they paid directors loans preferentially etc...

However the judge was presented with a choice to do nothing, effectivley allowing a liquidation where creditors would get nothing or to order the Examiner in and try to resolve this. The Club would actually have continued to exist in this scenario and the licence is such a joke that there is no sanction specified even in this case.

Obviously it will cost about €300k to run Rovers during the examinership The 400 Club will pay for the shortfall in revenues during this period.

At the end of this The 400 Club will need to have raised enough to pay the legal fees, have enough in the kitty to take the club forward and enough to pay the creditors off, the precedent being a minimum of 3.5%. The shares would revert to the 400 Club unless another investor comes in for a share , or if he wants it all he would have to refund the 400 club all monies spent.

Of course, and deadly serious here, if the clubs voted us out of the league as punishment or even tried to relegate us, we could just join the Irish League where licence criteria do not apply. This would be ridiculous since it would be a Football Club Saved by its fans that will have satisfied its creditors including the revenue.

Ringo
16/04/2005, 5:59 AM
Of course, and deadly serious here, if the clubs voted us out of the league as punishment or even tried to relegate us, we could just join the Irish League where licence criteria do not apply. This would be ridiculous since it would be a Football Club Saved by its fans that will have satisfied its creditors including the revenue.
Theres no way , they'd vote you out, considering , they all owe money & might find themselves in your position.Is there a legal agreement that the 400 club get the shares, if they keep overs going.? You sound as if your treating this seriously & not emotionally, its going to be hard to raise that type of money, but if its only 3.5% & the ongoing day to day stuff, it could be done. What were the directors wages like for the last few years? Will they still be taking a salary or do they have other jobs?

skitz3
16/04/2005, 9:15 AM
It is those very fans that will prove to be the difference between the survival and destruction of this club.

I apologise if my post was misunderstood.
What I meant was that SOME rovers fans care very little for the club and would be violent at matches. I agree wholeheartedly with your other comment. The fans that truly love the club are by far the best in the country, bar none. I don't think an other bunch of fans would be as financially dependable as the rovers fans.

Again I apologise if my post came across wrong.

dcfcsteve
16/04/2005, 2:02 PM

I wouldn't pin too much hopes on this GF. Can't see the Irish League voting in a southern team - particularly one based in Dublin. There's absolutely no parallel to the situation regarding Derry City FC. The FAI couldn't themselves stop you joining the Northern league, but they could put pressure on the IFA to do so if they felt it necessary. Reagrdaless, I can't see you being accepted in by the other clubs in the north.

If I was Rovers and worst cam to worst, I'd look to set up the club again in junior football via a supporters Trust (i.e. the AFC Wimbledon model). After a couple of seasons of whipping everyone's ass and bringing big crowds to tiny games you'd then have proven yourself worthy of coming back into the league at the next opportunity.

Or you could just follow the Dublin City model of league admission and assume the position of an existing Dublin club with few fans and little prospects. Hmmm.... :D

TonyD
16/04/2005, 9:17 PM
I thought'd you'd empathise with Rovers. Weren't Pats the other club that misapropriated capital grant money for other purposes?

Quite a serious charge there, and totally false. As WWS pointed out Pats have never even gotten their hands on the grant money allocated to them from the Sports Capital Fund, because we need to raise a certain percentage ourselves (25% I think) which we hadn't got. There were questions raised about an FAI loan to Pats as far as I remember, which is a totally different thing. (i.e it was not money given for one purpose and used for another. ie x 2 , not fraud)

Ringo
17/04/2005, 5:42 AM
Gold Cup winner blames council for Shamrock Rovers fiasco

Sunday April 17th 2005

MARTIN FITZPATRICK

THE Irish property developer whose horse won the Cheltenham Gold Cup and who looked for a while like the saviour of Shamrock Rovers FC, said yesterday that the fate of the famous Irish soccer club has been imperilled by a bureaucratic mess at the South Dublin Council. It is a mess that has yet to be explained.

Conor Clarkson told the Sunday Independent that he still cannot understand how his proposal to build the club's hoped-for stadium in Tallaght was subverted. However, he insisted it happened "somewhere at council level".

"If the plans that we were working to - and which would have involved starting building activity on December 14 last - had gone ahead, we would have been erecting the first part of the stadium roofing this weekend. For whatever reason, the baby has been thrown out with the bathwater."

The failure to provide Shamrock Rovers with a home in which to play its games was a leading cause for the collapse of the club into examinership last week. Judge Peter Kelly appointed accountant Neil Hughes as interim examiner of the club which had reported debtsof €2.4m.

Mr Clarkson said he became involved in the Rovers affair last year after some €4.5m had been sunk into the project. South Dublin Council had given a lease to a company called Mulden "without any onus to do anything to the site. There was no timetable, no schedule, no specific performance clause."

Mulden embarked ona joint venture with a company called Sloan Park, linked with Shamrock Rovers directors, and that joint venture was responsible for subsequent expenditure.

Mr Clarkson says he "shook hands" on a deal in which Mulden would sell on the lease to him to complete the construction of a 10,000-12,000-seat stadium. "I was going to put in a pub and a leisure centre to pay for the building of the stadium," he told the Sunday Independent.

"I never had any intention or any interest in building apartments, as some critics have alleged. It was a project that would never have made anyone rich. I was interested in creating a sporting venue and I was happy to let Rovers play in the stadium.

"Suddenly, while I was out of the country, I was told that the whole thing was not going ahead. The Council had changed its mind." Asked if he felt his project could be revived, Conor Clarkson, whose horse Kicking King won the Gold Cup, said the project could be reactivated and completed within 10 months.

© Irish Independent
http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/ & http://www.unison.ie/

pete
17/04/2005, 11:42 AM
The Council probably sees that they can avail of the grounds to tag on their own commercial property.

joeraki
17/04/2005, 2:39 PM
Interesting spin on it from Clarkson. Must of been a mishap that he failed to mention that his whatever millions investment had a fairly heafty APR, something like 30% !! Sure whats €7/8 million in dept in a few years when you've f all chance of paying back €2.3 now :rolleyes:

Green Force
17/04/2005, 5:28 PM
Interesting spin on it from Clarkson. Must of been a mishap that he failed to mention that his whatever millions investment had a fairly heafty APR, something like 30% !! Sure whats €7/8 million in dept in a few years when you've f all chance of paying back €2.3 now :rolleyes:

No figures were ever agreed. Tony Maguire made them up. One of many lies to the Rovers fans.