PDA

View Full Version : Entrance theme at Lansdowne Rd?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Glapots
13/03/2005, 7:06 PM
I'd like to make a suggestion for an entrance song for when the teams come out on to the pitch at Lansdowne Rd. Currently the same tune has been used for the last 7-8 years and is getting tiresome. I think it's time for a change.

All over Europe different clubs have inspriring songs for when their team makes an appearence. The tune I'd like to suggest is Irish and I remember Alssendro Del Piero (on some champions league maginze programme I think) saying that it's the perfect song for football.

The opening to this song is inspiring and uplifting and ideal for a match at lansdowne rd, and would only enchance the dull artificial atmosphere that exists at Ireland matches.

The song is "Where The Streets Have No Name" by U2

Anyone agree. Should this suggestion be made known to the appropriate people?

Stuttgart88
14/03/2005, 7:09 AM
Yep, agreed totally & I've suggested exactly the same thing before on another site. I'm not a great U2 fan but this'd be perfect. The crescendo reached following the booming bass line in the intro would raise everyone's adrenaline levels.

Hibs4Ever
14/03/2005, 7:09 AM
I don't mind as long as they get rid of the You'll Never Walk Alone liverpool sh*t

green army
14/03/2005, 9:20 AM
i also think that the national anthem should not be sung by someone on the pitch with a microphone. the noise of that takes away from the crowd singing it.

eirebhoy
14/03/2005, 9:44 AM
i also think that the national anthem should not be sung by someone on the pitch with a microphone. the noise of that takes away from the crowd singing it.
you do realise that the Irish croud don't sing the national anthem? :) I'd usually put a wink there but I'm being deadly serious. We were outsung in our own stadium by the Turkish anthem.

The tune I'd like to suggest is Irish and I remember Alssendro Del Piero (on some champions league maginze programme I think) saying that it's the perfect song for football.
He's a big fan of U2:
Song: " I still havent found what Im looking for", "Where the streets have no name", "With or without you"
http://2sexyfootballers.tripod.com/delpiero.html

Eire06
14/03/2005, 10:00 AM

The crowd singing it, your having a laugh, their just miming Attempting to mime if singing at all..
Anyway I don't think its the person singing thats the problem its the sound system.... The words should be put up on a big screen for everyone to sing along

I don't mind as long as they get rid of the You'll Never Walk Alone liverpool sh*t

Ya we really have to come up with some songs of our own

I'd like to make a suggestion for an entrance song for when the teams come out on to the pitch at Lansdowne Rd. Currently the same tune has been used for the last 7-8 years and is getting tiresome. I think it's time for a change.

ya its rightly due a change alright, U2 sounds good and would get the atmosphere going... we could sing it in the terraces replacing You'll never walk alone with it during the match :D

pete
14/03/2005, 10:04 AM
Music is ok to a point. Scottish Rugby Internationals at Murrayfield are so tacky now with pipers pre match & stupid music played when they score - music can enhance the atmosphere but sad when it IS the atmosphere.

green army
14/03/2005, 10:52 AM
you do realise that the Irish croud don't sing the national anthem? :) I'd usually put a wink there but I'm being deadly serious. We were outsung in our own stadium by the Turkish anthem.

well its sung with great gusto for the big games when the fans are up for it and we have to get a result. but this shouldnt be the case, we should sing it loud the whole time.we have got to be more fanatical at football match, like the turks and the greeks etc. and make the atmosphere as intimating as possible for the opposition.

Dawn_Run
14/03/2005, 11:07 AM
The song is "Where The Streets Have No Name" by U2

Anyone agree. Should this suggestion be made known to the appropriate people?

Anthem swap with the Italians,we give them U2 and we take Nessun Dorma. Always brings back great Italia 90 memories. Sure to get people fired up.

4tothefloor
14/03/2005, 6:30 PM
We 'sang' the french one better than the french in Paris, maybe they should play that?

I'm all for beer being sold in the stadium, the more drunk people are, the more likely they are to sing. Too many people are going to Lansdowne 'cold', i.e. straight from work or from home on the Dort. They're not around the pubs soaking up the atmosphere beforehand, so they don't carry any atmosphere into the stadium with them. Major Alcohol consumption worked a treat in Paris (albeit, the actual beer in the stadium was alcohol free)

Green Tribe
14/03/2005, 6:47 PM
so how do we go about persuading the fai to play u2's song before the game? that would surely take too much organisation on their behalf, i don't think they are capable of it :rolleyes:

:D :D :D

should we all take a foot.ie vote on a song and then all of us can email the fai lots of times and hope they listen :confused:

who agrees?
can we get a poll going ?

John83
14/03/2005, 7:04 PM
should we all take a foot.ie vote on a song and then all of us can email the fai lots of times and hope they listen :confused:
If that worked, we wouldn't need to hold this vote in the first place. :(

Glapots
14/03/2005, 7:41 PM
so how do we go about persuading the fai to play u2's song before the game? that would surely take too much organisation on their behalf, i don't think they are capable of it :rolleyes:

:D :D :D

who agrees?
can we get a poll going ?

Yes, without a doubt, I'll go along with that. Think of the how fecking great it will be hearing something at the next match at Lansdowne rd that we organised. Come on guys - lets get the ball rolling.

Green Tribe
14/03/2005, 9:19 PM
ok, well part from the U2 song, 'where the streets have no name'

please nominate songs which you find appropiate and maybe the mods could organise a poll on this thread? :confused:

p.s Please note that Fr. Ted's (RIP) 'my lovely horse' and the mCaul's eurovision entry 'Love' are exempt from nomination.......sorry :eek: ;) :D

fire away, i can't think of any yet

Glapots
14/03/2005, 9:49 PM
one great song - not perhaps as an entrance song is 'the la la song'.

youkonw the one? It's very popular in France. The hairs on the back of my neck still stand up when I think of the French and Irish fans singing this in Synotts Pub in Dublin as the English fans left the pub with their tales between their legs after Zidane's double set piece materclass at Euro 2004.

It's the one based off 'I will survive'. Btw it's a good one to get that little 'carlsberg' band to play now and again.

Speaking of French atmosphere. You know the double trumpet fanfare you hear at french and dutch matches that get a roar of approval from the fans? and then launches into a 'wagner' classical tune I think. That's a must!

Anyway here's the contact details....

info@fai.ie

Glapots
16/03/2005, 9:27 PM
Ok- lets geta Poll started.

Forgive my ignorance but is there any technology on this forum for polls?

Green Tribe
16/03/2005, 10:19 PM
yep, but i think the mods/higher authority have to set it up, meanwhile, start nominating some other songs, :D :D

Stuttgart88
18/03/2005, 7:50 AM
one great song - not perhaps as an entrance song is 'the la la song'.

youkonw the one? It's very popular in France. The hairs on the back of my neck still stand up when I think of the French and Irish fans singing this in Synotts Pub in Dublin as the English fans left the pub with their tales between their legs after Zidane's double set piece materclass at Euro 2004.

It's the one based off 'I will survive

They also played it in the Amsterdam Arena before the game in Sept. 2000. It goes on quite a while too and is a great crowd warmer. My suggestion would be to have this going from about 10 mins before KO and then bring the teams out to the U2 song, then leave the crowd to its own devices.

I hate a manufactured atmosphere as much as anyone else (the music after every score in the Rugby WC 2003 drove me mad) but it can help to build a sense of anticipation to a big game.

Green Tribe
18/03/2005, 7:58 AM
so, any mods want to set up a poll? need more songs to be nominated.,.....

cheers :D

blobbyblob
18/03/2005, 8:05 AM
Listened to "Where the Streets have no Name" twice this week on two different stations coming into work and the hairs still stand up on my neck every time.

I think were on a winner with this one.

Hibs4Ever
18/03/2005, 8:11 AM
Listened to "Where the Streets have no Name" twice this week on two different stations coming into work and the hairs still stand up on my neck every time.

I think were on a winner with this one.

I agree. Definitely

What about PRIDE????

blobbyblob
18/03/2005, 8:15 AM
My mail is being bounced from the FAI when sending to info@fai.ie or webmaster@fai.ie

Ive made a few calls and think ive located the person that needs to be contacted regarding getting the entrance music changed. No gaurantees but im sure that we can put a suggestion foward anyway.

How about we get a poll going then and set a closing date for votes

Green Tribe
18/03/2005, 8:18 AM
ok

- pride

- where the streets have no name

- with or without you

- i still haven't found what i'm looking for

- la la la song ( i don't think i know this, do u mean it is la la la to the i will survive song??)

any others??

:D

Green Tribe
18/03/2005, 8:20 AM
My mail is being bounced from the FAI when sending to info@fai.ie or webmaster@fai.ie

Ive made a few calls and think ive located the person that needs to be contacted regarding getting the entrance music changed. No gaurantees but im sure that we can put a suggestion foward anyway.

i have emailed them recently to both those addresses about the ko time of the israel game being wrong and they bounced too, what the hell, 21st century, do they know???????????? :rolleyes: :eek: :eek:

Green Tribe
18/03/2005, 8:22 AM
i see they have corrected their website, someone obviously phoned them, or maybe someone in the fai copped on?! they changed host local time to irish time :rolleyes:

Glapots
18/03/2005, 8:34 AM

Nice one!

I know the WTSHNN is a bit long for an entrance theme, but I remember hearing an edited version before which included the beginning of the song and the closing of the song. i.e with all the lyrics in between deleted - it sounded great.
So with some careful editing by some professional sound people (the FAI can surelty get things done professionally done now) we can get a greta tune established fitting for Ireland.

Green Tribe
18/03/2005, 8:35 AM
Nice one!

I know the WTSHNN is a bit long for an entrance theme, but I remember hearing an edited version before which included the beginning of the song and the closing of the song. i.e with all the lyrics in between deleted - it sounded great.
So with some careful editing by some professional sound people (the FAI can surelty get things done professionally done now) we can get a greta tune established fitting for Ireland.

hmmm, they cannot even work their emails or put the correct ko time up so............ :eek:

Hibs4Ever
18/03/2005, 8:36 AM
ok

- pride

- with or without you

- la la la song ( i don't think i know this, do u mean it is la la la to the i will survive song??)

any others??

Although I think it's the best song EVER,
With or Without You would not be a good one for Lansdowne IMO

Stuttgart88
18/03/2005, 8:37 AM
ok

- pride

- with or without you

any others??

This is only my opinion but I'd say Pride & Streets Have No Name are the two that get the heart rate up, to be preceded by "la La Song" as a warmer upper. With or Without you is a bit sedate isn't it, likewise I Still haven't found...?

One I like is Ash's "Shining Light" which got us all going in a bar in Tokyo late one morning. Vertigo was pretty good before the Croatia game. It'll all be in vain though if they continue to use that absolute TW-AT of a PA Announcer. I'm a bit out of touch living in London since '99 but what about giving someone like Tom Dunne a role in the pre-match music?

Lionel Ritchie
18/03/2005, 8:48 AM
Ah yes ...all the world needs is another handful of speakers blaring out U2 songs and their absolute domination will be complete.

*Give Him A Ball and a Yard of Grass -Sultans of Ping FC

*Streams of Whiskey -The Pogues

*Irish Rover -The Pogues

*What Would Brian Boitano Do? -DVDA

Stuttgart88
18/03/2005, 8:54 AM
Zombie by The Cranberries?

Green Tribe
18/03/2005, 8:55 AM
i agree with irish rover-pogues and vertigo -u2

cullenswood
18/03/2005, 8:56 AM
How about Morrissey's tune..."Roy's Keen"!! :D ;) :D ;) (Easily changing window cleaner to mid-fielder!)

Green Tribe
18/03/2005, 8:57 AM
at least with the irish rover, it is lively and people know the words

Glapots
18/03/2005, 9:02 AM
How about Morrissey's tune..."Roy's Keen"!! :D ;) :D ;) (Easily changing window cleaner to mid-fielder!)

definetly not! That irritbale tom dunne can't stop playing that bloody song on his show (manu ****)........

anyway I agree about with or without you..more a romantic song I think ;)

although I do remember before the Ireland v Spain game at WC 2002 the BBC paying tribute to Irish soccer (showing clips of Irish soccer0 with WOWY as the backing track.......great moment

btw a friend of mine has got in touch with the carslberg band people and is gonna get them to add the "la la song" to their repertoire (but we DO need the crowd to make the effect of that song work)

Green Tribe
18/03/2005, 9:05 AM
what is the la la la song glapots :confused:

ciaran76
18/03/2005, 9:08 AM

Have to agree 100% on that one.

Why do we need a song to come out to anyway ?

Glapots
18/03/2005, 9:10 AM
what is the la la la song glapots :confused:

you know 'I will survive'

well towards the end of that song there's a bit that the europeans for some strange reason seem to love.....anyway a Dutch band 'the hermes house band' made a song of it........check it out. If oyu've ever been to a Europena particularly French nightclub you would have heard it

Glapots
18/03/2005, 9:12 AM
Why do we need a song to come out to anyway ?

Oh I don't know.................to create a bit of atmosphere perhaps?

Green Tribe
18/03/2005, 9:26 AM
to warm up our vocals :D

Green Tribe
18/03/2005, 9:43 AM
you know 'I will survive'

well towards the end of that song there's a bit that the europeans for some strange reason seem to love.....anyway a Dutch band 'the hermes house band' made a song of it........check it out. If oyu've ever been to a Europena particularly French nightclub you would have heard it

i just listened to it as a ringtone.......er i can see how the french would enjoy that, it is very cheesy indeedy. :D

keep the votes flowing

what about ...let's face the music and dance.....there may be trouble ahead...... do-do do-do-do ha ha ;) :D :D

Stuttgart88
18/03/2005, 10:05 AM
General point: Although my own music taste is more indy / left wing and I'd barely listen to U2 at home I think that what would work best is a popular "anthemic" type song rather than quirky Sultans of Ping type stuff etc.

It has to have broad appeal and not just be for those with cleverer music tastes. It should also be an adrenaline pumper (hence I think Streets Have No Name, Pride, Ash, Zombie, Vertigo....) Is this a broad principle we can agree on or am I on my own here?

As to the question "why come out to anything?": while I think that the current Also Sprech Zarathustra (the 2001 Space Odyssey music) is well intentioned we could do a lot better. I think that if a good atmosphere builds up before the game more people will take to their seats early.

I nearly barfed at the Cyprus game when they played Rock & Roll by the Glitter Band. And this "Hey Baby" nonsense.....uuuuurrrrggghhhh!

Green Tribe
18/03/2005, 10:08 AM
General point: Although my own music taste is more indy / left wing and I'd barely listen to U2 at home I think that what would work best is a popular "anthemic" type song rather than quirky Sultans of Ping type stuff etc.

It has to have broad appeal and not just be for those with cleverer music tastes. It should also be an adrenaline pumper (hence I think Streets Have No Name, Pride, Ash, Zombie, Vertigo....) Is this a broad principle we can agree on or am I on my own here?

As to the question "why come out to anything?": while I think that the current Also Sprech Zarathustra (the 2001 Space Odyssey music) is well intentioned we could do a lot better. I think that if a good atmosphere builds up before the game more people will take to their seats early.

I nearly barfed at the Cyprus game when they played Rock & Roll by the Glitter Band. And this "Hey Baby" nonsense.....uuuuurrrrggghhhh!

i agree with this, it has to be lively, even irish rover too ? along with what u mentioned. a vote by poll from the mods if they would set it up would be great, everyone have their songs listed here for the poll by saturday 20:00 ??

Stuttgart88
18/03/2005, 10:13 AM
Yep, Irish Rover definitely, and I think at a cold winter night in Lansdowne "Fairytale of NY"?

I'll e-mail a contact in the FAI (one of the posters on this site actually) & see what he says!

Green Tribe
18/03/2005, 10:15 AM
i love fairytale of ny, but only really during winter

yeah definitely email him as their info@fai.ie and webmaster@fai.ie are not working!!!!!!!

cheers :D :D

Green Tribe
18/03/2005, 10:16 AM
name and shame him!!!!!!

heh heh :D

YoungHoop
18/03/2005, 10:32 AM
and you will see it hear it tonight sung by the rovers fans :D

Why do you build me up (build me up) Buttercup, baby
Just to let me down (let me down) and mess me around
And then worst of all (worst of all) you never call, baby
When you say you will (say you will) but I love you still
I need you (I need you) more than anyone, darlin'
You know that I have from the start
So build me up (build me up) Buttercup, don't break my heart

"I'll be over at ten", you told me time and again
But you're late, I wait around and then (bah dah dah)
I run to the door, I can't take any more
It's not you, you let me down again

(Hey, hey, hey!) Baby, baby, try to find
(Hey, hey, hey!) A little time, and I'll make you happy
(Hey, hey, hey!) I'll be home
I'll be beside the phone waiting for you
Ooo-oo-ooo, ooo-oo-ooo

You were my toy but I could be the boy you adore
If you'd just let me know (bah dah dah)
Although you're untrue, I'm attracted to you all the more
Why do I need you so

(Hey, hey, hey!) Baby, baby, try to find
(Hey, hey, hey!) A little time and I'll make you happy
(Hey, hey, hey!) I'll be home
I'll be beside the phone waiting for you
Ooo-oo-ooo, ooo-oo-ooo

I-I-I need you-oo-oo more than anyone, baby
{fade}

Stuttgart88
18/03/2005, 10:43 AM
name and shame him!!!!!!

heh heh :D

I just e-mailed him. Apparently he's done the decent thing and left!

Build Me Up Buttercup? Well if the moderators put up a poll we can let democracy take its course but it won't be getting my vote.

thejollyrodger
18/03/2005, 10:45 AM
did anyone see the Sporting Lisbon match on Channel 5 last night ? I think we should get one of those MC's and sound system for Landsdowne Road (or tolka). He really got the crowd going :D

Lionel Ritchie
18/03/2005, 11:05 AM

While I'm sure they won't sneeze at the PRS cheques derived from being broadcast at Lansdowne -Ash are believed to be NI supporters. TW caused a mini-kerfuffle at a Belfast show a while back by waving a blue and green NI scarf.
Just an observation.

I'm starting to have my doubts though about the whole idea of keeping it to Irish bands/songs rather than one that'd just be a great intro tune. for example...
Enter Sandman -Metallica

Actually while I'm on Metallica -they use Ecstacy of Gold by Ennio Morricone as an entrance tune and break straight into Blackened from it.
Now a really heavy tune like Blackened might make the whole thing a bit WWF
but Ecstacy into Enter Sandeman could be good

Ace of Spades -Motorhead

Right Here Right Now -Fatboy Slim

Gay Bar -Electric Six (Opposition won't know what to think :eek: :D )