PDA

View Full Version : Denmark V Republic of Ireland - Sat, 11 November 2017 World Cup 2018 Play Off 1st Leg

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8

KrisLetang
02/11/2017, 7:01 PM
Yes, we go to support the team.

I know the diehards do. There is a funny GIF of a guy in the front row of the Dodgers game at the World Series the other night watching the last batter with everyone going crazy and he is just all about his Fro-Yo. So some people go to events just to go. Surely you've heard of corporate seats. I don't think you need to go to support a team, per se, or that everyone there is there to support a team, per se.

DeLorean
02/11/2017, 7:36 PM
Yes, we go to support the team.

I go because I enjoy it. I pick and choose my trips depending on what appeals to me most. I guess you could say it's to support the team, but really it's for purely selfish reasons in my case, not a sense of duty.

DannyInvincible
02/11/2017, 7:45 PM
I know the diehards do. There is a funny GIF of a guy in the front row of the Dodgers game at the World Series the other night watching the last batter with everyone going crazy and he is just all about his Fro-Yo. So some people go to events just to go. Surely you've heard of corporate seats. I don't think you need to go to support a team, per se, or that everyone there is there to support a team, per se.

Yeah, I'm just going for the Danish prawn sandwiches.

BonnieShels
02/11/2017, 8:08 PM

Clearly you would fail the Paul O'Shea Test.

KrisLetang
02/11/2017, 8:31 PM

That's a disgusting combination.

elroy
02/11/2017, 9:21 PM
Do you guys still like going to events as opposed to watching in a pub or with friends? I can't stand actually going anymore. Lines, rude people, security, traffic, crazy prices, etc...Much rather have a good group over make good food and have a controlled atmosphere...Or maybe I'm just getting old.

Can't beat the experience and memories. No amount of tv watching will get you close. I appreciate they are rare but the euphoria and buzz amongst fans post game is Cardiff was fantastic.

DannyInvincible
02/11/2017, 10:45 PM
That's a disgusting combination.

Heh, well, I'm not actually going for Danish prawn sandwiches.

It was a reference (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Prawn%20Sandwich%20Brigade) to something Roy Keane once said (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prawn_sandwich_brigade) about the nature of football support in the modern corporate-oriented game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Bsv9eHckpQ

Presumably, prawn sandwiches (or something similar) were/are provided to Old Trafford corporate boxes as finger food during games.

geysir
03/11/2017, 1:56 PM
Heh, well, I'm not actually going for Danish prawn sandwiches.

Danish prawn sandwiches

= Danish + prawn

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/98/Penaeus_monodon.jpg/220px-Penaeus_monodon.jpg

+

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQZDjymOupc17y8ZLo1xWP2g5wjBdMI1 MaCTDeDCniuPbY-m5FQ

DannyInvincible
03/11/2017, 2:46 PM
Had anyone here bought tickets in the Danish/home section but received an email from the DBU today stating the following?:

Hello

We can see that you have bought tickets in a Danish section for the match Denmark vs. Ireland. We suspect that you are an Irish fan, and we have therefore blocked your tickets for the match, as this is a violation of our guidelines.

If you do not contact us at billetsalg@dbu.dk before Monday 6 November at 11 o’clock, your tickets will be cancelled conclusively, and no money will be refunded.

If you contact us, you must send name, birthdate and address on you and your guests for the match. Therefore, you must bring identification to the match, as this will be controlled by the entrance. It is important that this corresponds with the information you send to us.

Please provide your telephone number so that we can contact you.

It's not something I've received myself, but I saw a few posters mention it on YBIG.

Charlie Darwin
03/11/2017, 3:11 PM
Sounds like bull****.

paul_oshea
03/11/2017, 3:27 PM
The IFA's system is neither open nor transparent. Put simply, they don't know which individuals have attended particular games. This is because tickets for away matches are largely distributed to 'lead block bookers' (effectively, mini supporters' clubs) with only the lead individual names and addresses recorded. So because of this lack of data, distribution is arbitrary if not subjective.

I'd say both set-ups would benefit from registering supporters individually. The IFA don't through a mix of laziness, administrative incompetence and I'll admit some cunning (in that they know there are many supporters clubs who are content at present).

They do, they have an access database with the names and addresses and games attended. I'm pretty sure they don't, or didn't, have a campaign column in there though so not sure how they recorded it for the criteria they put down in emails unless of course they have the arbitrary task of saving each campaign into different access files...:/

@DannyInvincible how did you get home end tickets, does your brother live there? I thought you had to register an address over there. THe irish pubs should have registered a few hundred lads at the pub address :D

paul_oshea
03/11/2017, 3:35 PM
I go because I enjoy it. I pick and choose my trips depending on what appeals to me most. I guess you could say it's to support the team, but really it's for purely selfish reasons in my case, not a sense of duty.

Noted. Deffo felt that too.

paul_oshea
03/11/2017, 3:36 PM

Michelin prawn sandwiches, makes sense.

KrisLetang
03/11/2017, 3:37 PM
Sounds like George Orwell and a book that is not about a Van Halen album. "You must send name, birth date and address for you and guests for the match." Next they will want a DNA sample and to implant a chip into your foreheads lads. Another reason to stay home and order Wings.

paul_oshea
03/11/2017, 3:43 PM
Sounds like bull****.

Not really. IT doesn't.

If you need some help with Danish written letter let me know DI :)

DannyInvincible
03/11/2017, 5:55 PM
@DannyInvincible how did you get home end tickets, does your brother live there? I thought you had to register an address over there. THe irish pubs should have registered a few hundred lads at the pub address :D

Nah, we got two on Viagogo, which we assume would originally have been purchased by a Dane with a Danish name, number, address and matching card details, so I'm not really concerned that ours will be blocked or anything.

A brother of a friend is studying for a masters in Copenhagen, so can always call on him for assistance if necessary. Cheers for the offer of help though. :good:

Just saw another poster on YBIG say that a friend of his who works in Copenhagen also received the cancellation warning email. I'm guessing they would have submitted a Danish address with Danish card details if they live there, so maybe the DBU are judging by names given?

Noted. Deffo felt that too.

Haha, is that DeL in the dreaded bad books now?

geysir
03/11/2017, 7:38 PM
Nah, we got two on Viagogo, which we assume would originally have been purchased by a Dane with a Danish name, number, address and matching card details, so I'm not really concerned that ours will be blocked or anything.

A brother of a friend is studying for a masters in Copenhagen, so can always call on him for assistance if necessary. Cheers for the offer of help though. :good:

Just saw another poster on YBIG say that a friend of his who works in Copenhagen also received the cancellation warning email. I'm guessing they would have submitted a Danish address with Danish card details if they live there, so maybe the DBU are judging by names given?

I got 2 tickets for some cute hoor Kerry cousins. I set up an outlook email account with an obviously Danish sounding email address. I used the wife's credit card.
So far so good. If they want her telephone nr in order to speak to her, she just has to reply using her reasonable standard Danish, while throwing up (to get that authentic effect).

Gather round
04/11/2017, 10:49 AM
[the IFA] have an access database with the names and addresses and games attended. I'm pretty sure they don't, or didn't, have a campaign column in there though so not sure how they recorded it for the criteria they put down in emails unless of course they have the arbitrary task of saving each campaign into different access files...:/

The specific problem which illlustrates the wider incompetence I mentioned is that the database is largely nominal. They collect, register and analyse the data only sporadically. As demonstrated by numerous anecdotal examples both recently and before the Euros last year.

paul_oshea
04/11/2017, 10:10 PM
Not really. IT doesn't.

If you need some help with Danish written letter let me know DI :)

Ya, as I said, called out CD his BS detector needs a bit of tuning. Know of 2 this has happened to, advised give an address in there of someone they know and write a letter. THey have been checking with the FAI for supporters names, but I've heard that the FAI just replied with a "no" on names enquired about :). Supposedly one got a reply in Danish and they were suspecting of the name too. I imagine with a small stadium of 28k they could actually do a bit more on checking ids on the way in, but its doubtful, they are probably doing it at this stage, proactively as a deterrent, but you never know with those efficient Scandanavians.

Fizzer
04/11/2017, 10:12 PM
Couple of goals conceded by schmeichel today,he’s a bit meh,might have a mistake in him over the two legs.does quite well in the header from a corner situation,which would be one of our main weapons

Bungle
04/11/2017, 10:57 PM
http://www.marca.com/futbol/sevilla/2017/11/05/59fe472d46163f49118b463b.html looks like kjaer could be a doubt for the danes. Big news if true.

DannyInvincible
05/11/2017, 12:26 AM
Ya, as I said, called out CD his BS detector needs a bit of tuning. Know of 2 this has happened to, advised give an address in there of someone they know and write a letter. THey have been checking with the FAI for supporters names, but I've heard that the FAI just replied with a "no" on names enquired about :). Supposedly one got a reply in Danish and they were suspecting of the name too. I imagine with a small stadium of 28k they could actually do a bit more on checking ids on the way in, but its doubtful, they are probably doing it at this stage, proactively as a deterrent, but you never know with those efficient Scandanavians.

Access to the home section surely won't be dependent on producing ID. There are bound to be thousands of Danes who won't have bothered bringing ID as there was no general stipulation, as far as I know, unless it's compulsory by law in Denmark to carry ID or something...

DeLorean
05/11/2017, 3:01 AM
http://www.marca.com/futbol/sevilla/2017/11/05/59fe472d46163f49118b463b.html looks like kjaer could be a doubt for the danes. Big news if true.

The lucky general working his magic yet again, now for Eriksen tomorrow morning.

nigel-harps1954
05/11/2017, 11:45 AM
Couple of goals conceded by schmeichel today,he’s a bit meh,might have a mistake in him over the two legs.does quite well in the header from a corner situation,which would be one of our main weapons

Yet, he managed to almost single handed guarantee a point for Leicester with a couple of wonderful late saves.

BonnieShels
05/11/2017, 2:59 PM

I wonder what would happen to anyone whose name was Delaney? Hmmmmmmmmmmm...

BonnieShels
05/11/2017, 3:00 PM
Lovely article in The Grauniad.

Nothing new or earth-shattering. But a nice Sunday read.

Hon Oirlint!

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2017/nov/05/martin-michael-oneill-northern-ireland-republic-world-cup-playoffs

Closed Account
05/11/2017, 3:41 PM
https://www.feyenoord.com/news/news-overview/Medical-update-Nicolai-Jrgensen-511

Probably shouldn't rule him out.

geysir
05/11/2017, 5:01 PM
Small imagination syndrome? Parken's capacity is 38,000.

BonnieShels
05/11/2017, 5:17 PM
Small imagination syndrome? Parken's capacity is 38,000.

But only room for 28000 real fans geysir.

geysir
05/11/2017, 7:57 PM
Lovely article in The Grauniad.

Nothing new or earth-shattering. But a nice Sunday read.

Hon Oirlint!

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2017/nov/05/martin-michael-oneill-northern-ireland-republic-world-cup-playoffs

It is a poignant article.

One incident though is part of a (harmless) myth.
"They (NI) qualified ahead of Italy and Portugal, Blanchflower and Jimmy McIlroy producing the “Doherty penalty” against the Portuguese. The referee was so baffled he disallowed it."

I'd say the ref spotted the obvious incursion into the penalty area by one of them, therefore he disallowed the goal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIzJk_LkxQM

nigel-harps1954
05/11/2017, 10:24 PM

"They (NI) qualified ahead of Italy and Portugal, Blanchflower and Jimmy McIlroy producing the “Doherty penalty” against the Portuguese. The referee was so baffled he disallowed it."

I'd say the ref spotted the obvious incursion into the penalty area by one of them, therefore he disallowed the goal.

Yep, ref looking straight at him running straight into the box.

http://foot.ie/attachment.php?attachmentid=2609&stc=1

BonnieShels
06/11/2017, 9:36 AM
That being said it's too early in the morning to see Billy Bingham's head.

---

17/11/1993... Unforgettable... despite what the Grauniad says:

The forgotten story of … 17 November 1993

Modern football is a dispiriting compromise of safety nets and second chances: the big teams are protected by seeding, play-offs, larger tournaments and consolation prizes like the Europa League (even if that is often greeted with an enthusiasm previously reserved for Bullseye contestants who were eyeing the speedboat and ended up with just their Bus Fare Home). The delicious cut-throat element of football has all but gone. For the big international sides, qualification for major tournaments has become such a formality that even Steve McClaren almost managed it.

This was not always the case. A prime example is the qualification campaign for USA 94, the last before Uefa introduced play-offs. The final night of qualifying fixtures, 17 November 1993, was a sensory overload of authentic drama that included death, ‘murder’, robbery, illegal aliens – and Jack Charlton almost chinning Tony Cascarino. It was a night that defined the lives of Paul Bodin, Davide Gualtieri, Alan McLoughlin, David Ginola, Emil Kostadinov and Santiago Cañizares. It also sparked one of football’s most enduring feuds...

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2012/feb/15/forgotten-story-17-november-1993

paul_oshea
06/11/2017, 10:23 AM
Access to the home section surely won't be dependent on producing ID. There are bound to be thousands of Danes who won't have bothered bringing ID as there was no general stipulation, as far as I know, unless it's compulsory by law in Denmark to carry ID or something...

Maybe you wont need an ID, maybe they just need rulers and measurements, a la the Nazi way of doing things :D

geysir
06/11/2017, 10:44 AM
As long as they don't roll out the notorious Paddyometer (96.5% success rate) I think Danny should be able to dodge any of their security measures.

BonnieShels
06/11/2017, 11:22 AM
Maybe you wont need an ID, maybe they just need rulers and measurements, a la the Nazi way of doing things :D

That would be more valid if we were playing the IFA representative team.

Speaking of OWC...

DannyInvincible
06/11/2017, 2:22 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIzJk_LkxQM

I think you're spot on. The ref appears to blow up for the infringement and even points in the direction of McIlroy pretty much as soon as the kick is taken and long before the ball enters the net, by which time the keeper didn't even bother trying to save it because the whole thing had been rightly called to a halt.

I bit of wishful denial and romanticised recall going on, I suspect. The fanciful notion that a baffled and backward idiot of a ref incorrectly denied you a legit goal, due to how imaginative, revolutionary and unprecedented your technique was, is probably a lot easier to reconcile in the eager and impassioned mind than admitting that you, in fact, were the ones who f*cked it up.

geysir
06/11/2017, 2:37 PM
That's a cruel and savage indictment Danny, I was much more diplomatic out of respect for the great Danny Blanchflower :)

I wouldn't mind a repeat of this 1993 nightmare for Denmark

http://www.sportsfanplus.dk/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/tyveri.jpg

Diggs246
06/11/2017, 3:15 PM
I see MON has cut David McGoldrick from the squad, I have to say I don't get that.

jbyrne
06/11/2017, 3:24 PM
I see MON has cut David McGoldrick from the squad, I have to say I don't get that.

I get it. I don't think he has ever impressed for us.

revised squad..

Goalkeepers: Darren Randolph, Rob Elliot, Keiren Westwood, Colin Doyle

Defenders: Cyrus Christie, Matt Doherty, Paul McShane, Shane Duffy, Ciaran Clark, John O'Shea, Kevin Long, Stephen Ward

Midfielders: Aiden McGeady, Jeff Hendrick, Robbie Brady, Glenn Whelan, Conor Hourihane, David Meyler, Harry Arter, Eunan O'Kane, Wes Hoolahan, Callum O'Dowda, James McClean

Forwards: Shane Long, Daryl Murphy, Scott Hogan, Aiden O'Brien

DannyInvincible
06/11/2017, 3:34 PM
That's a cruel and savage indictment Danny, I was much more diplomatic out of respect for the great Danny Blanchflower :)

Ha, actually my assessment does sound a tad harsh on second reading. The tactic was clever, no doubt. Blanchflower was admittedly way ahead of my time too, but if it's any consolation to his memory, I'm pinning full blame for the c*ck-up on the restless and over-eager McIlroy. :o

Diggs246
06/11/2017, 3:44 PM

revised squad..

Defenders: Cyrus Christie, Matt Doherty, Paul McShane, Shane Duffy, Ciaran Clark, John O'Shea, Kevin Long, Stephen Ward

Midfielders: Aiden McGeady, Jeff Hendrick, Robbie Brady, Glenn Whelan, Conor Hourihane, David Meyler, Harry Arter, Eunan O'Kane, Wes Hoolahan, Callum O'Dowda, James McClean

That's not strictly true, he was excellent in a friendly versus the USA. but my main point is we are lack strikers and to go for Aiden O'Brien ahead of him is unusual

geysir
06/11/2017, 3:51 PM

No James McCarthy either.

DannyInvincible
06/11/2017, 3:53 PM

revised squad..

If McGoldrick was omitted because he hasn't proven himself yet - although I don't exactly think he's been bad and he even did well against the USA - why has Scott Hogan been favoured? Or O'Brien, for that matter? Nothing against the latter two, but they have no senior international track records at all and McGoldrick has scored quite a few more goals than both this season. McGoldrick has seven (five of those in the league and two in the EFL Cup), Hogan has three (all in the EFL Cup), whilst O'Brien has two (both in the league), so McGoldrick actually has more goals this season than the other two combined. It's not as if Shane Long is in great form either.

Richard Keogh ruled out as well, which leaves us with O'Shea and McShane for back-up in central defence. Please God, no injuries for Duffy or Clark.

And Matt Doherty makes a final cut, at last.

Edit: Actually, I totally forgot about Kevin Long as back-up in central defence. That eases the concern considerably.

DannyInvincible
06/11/2017, 3:56 PM
No James McCarthy either.

Heh, is that sarcasm? I don't think he was ever a realistic shout on account of his latest setback.

Diggs246
06/11/2017, 3:57 PM
If McGoldrick was omitted because he hasn't proven himself yet - although I don't exactly think he's been bad and he even did well against the USA - why has Scott Hogan been favoured? Or O'Brien, for that matter? Nothing against the latter two, but they have no senior international track records at all and McGoldrick has scored quite a few more goals than both this season. McGoldrick has seven (five of those in the league and two in the EFL Cup), Hogan has three (all in the EFL Cup), whilst O'Brien has two (both in the league), so McGoldrick actually has more goals this season than the other two combined. It's not as if Shane Long is in great form either.

Richard Keogh ruled out as well, which leaves us with O'Shea and McShane for back-up in central defence. Please God, no injuries for Duffy or Clark.

I would say Kevin Long is ahead of O'Shea and Mcshane

DannyInvincible
06/11/2017, 4:02 PM
Just on the possible blocking by the DBU of home section tickets suspected to be in the hands of Irish fans, a poster on YBIG said (https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=55750&PID=2039163&title=denmark-away-ticket-thread-no-touting#2039163) that someone he knows who is based in Denmark and who received the DBU's warning email just wrote back to them in Danish and provided a Danish name and number. The block was lifted as a result with no further action or investigation. No mention of requiring ID or anything like that either.

DannyInvincible
06/11/2017, 4:04 PM
I would say Kevin Long is ahead of O'Shea and Mcshane

Aye, I edited my post accordingly. He'd totally slipped my mind. That's not a slight on his ability. I'm a fan. :o

BonnieShels
06/11/2017, 6:06 PM
I bit of wishful denial and romanticised recall going on, I suspect. The fanciful notion that a baffled and backward idiot of a ref incorrectly denied you a legit goal, due to how imaginative, revolutionary and unprecedented your technique was, is probably a lot easier to reconcile in the eager and impassioned mind than admitting that you, in fact, were the ones who f*cked it up.

In fairness, that's culturally ingrained in some of those interviewed. Comes naturally I suppose.

geysir
06/11/2017, 7:49 PM
Heh, is that sarcasm? I don't think he was ever a realistic shout on account of his latest setback.
He was (in the words of Inspector Jacques Clouseau) neither ruled in, nor ruled out.
Now he's officially ruled out.

samhaydenjr
07/11/2017, 1:19 AM

revised squad..

Edit: Actually, I totally forgot about Kevin Long as back-up in central defence. That eases the concern considerably.

I was going to comment on McGoldrick's omission but I think that covers it, for the most part.