PDA

View Full Version : Italy V Republic of Ireland - Wednesday, 23rd June 2016 - Euro 2016 Group E

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

NeverFeltBetter
22/06/2016, 7:49 PM
OK. That was mostly good. Ireland have made chances, aren't afraid to take the ball and pass it around. That being said, I don't think Italy have really tried as hard as they could at all. They seem shockingly laid back going forward, save that one shot that went just wide (and Randolph wasn't getting there).

Would worry about Ireland's fitness level, Italy might punish us late on after all this huffing and puffing. This ref though. The elbow on Long, the arm around Duffy's neck, the shove on McClean, that push on Long...what's it going to take?

SkStu
22/06/2016, 7:49 PM
About as good as could have been expected from that half. See yiz in an hour or so.

tricky_colour
22/06/2016, 7:51 PM
A performance to be proud of so far, keep it up, great to watch.

passinginterest
22/06/2016, 7:53 PM
Italy don't even want to be there. Worried with the heat that Ireland might wilt in the second half considering the work rate. It's there to be won.

NeverFeltBetter
22/06/2016, 7:55 PM
Of course it's not all that unlike the first half against Sweden. If Ireland do score you can expect Italy to get the finger out.

seanfhear
22/06/2016, 7:56 PM
Great first half ! Hope that we can keep it up and get a deserved goal (or 2/3 :))

DannyInvincible
22/06/2016, 8:03 PM
The players are giving it everything. Great to watch. Impressed with that. Pressing, passion and endeavour. We need to convert the dominance into a goal.

McClean, Hendrick and Brady have all done brilliantly. Even McCarthy has stood up.

Defenders should be putting any passbacks to Randolph wide of his goal, especially on this pitch, lest any would hit a bump and bobble over Randolph's foot and into the goal. Duffy over-hit one which cost us a corner, but at least it was wide of our goal. We could have been in trouble with Keogh's one after that.

NeverFeltBetter
22/06/2016, 8:14 PM
Defender or no, Coleman has to hit the target there! Excruciating.

tricky_colour
22/06/2016, 8:41 PM
No!!!!!!!!!!!!

tricky_colour
22/06/2016, 8:42 PM
I mean YES!!!!!!!!!

I was about to back Robbie to score next goal at 40-1 but then they closed the market!

NeverFeltBetter
22/06/2016, 8:53 PM
In tears.

DannyInvincible
22/06/2016, 8:56 PM
Just balled my eyes out. So proud.

texidub
22/06/2016, 8:57 PM
Feckin' epic.

NeverFeltBetter
22/06/2016, 8:58 PM
Randolph, a few dodgy moments, would not have got to shots twice, one went wide, one hit the post.

Ward got stuck in, made himself useful. Duffy was very poor at the back, rushes of blood constantly, just hoofing it. Keogh very solid, encouraging. Coleman back to his best, at the back and going forward, minus that brainless strike without any precision after the keeper error.

McClean, one of his best games in an Irish shirt, chased balls down, threw himself around without being too reckless, made a serious impact on the left. McCarthy with a serious improvement on the poor returns of the last two games. Brady honestly I would have said not quite up his usual, a few aimless long balls, thought McClean showed him up a bit but then that run, that header. Hendrick a good point man in the middle, and was often the crucial link in the build-up play, if only he could be more accurate from outside the box.

Murphy, mostly impressed, with his build-up play, positioning, but not his accuracy (or longevity). Long, not the lone target man this time, and a serious problem for Italy at times, as evidenced by how much he was fouled.

McGeady, not sure why he got three runs in this tournament, he never showed why he was worthy of such faith. Hoolahan, so crucial when he came on, crazy bad miss but then what a cross.

It would have hurt so much to lose. They did all that they could tonight, even if it was against an Italian team with their heads in the second round already. There was inventiveness, guile, effort, will. And it was just enough. The post-goal collapse against Sweden, the turtling against Belgium to no effect, and their was frustrating impotence tonight. But when they needed it, they got it. They ****ing got it. O'Neill totally vindicated in selection, tactics. Bring on the hosts. No fear.

legendz
22/06/2016, 9:04 PM
Fantastic! Great to get out of the group. Let's get revenge for Henry handball!

DeLorean
22/06/2016, 9:06 PM
Jesus NFB, where did you get the composure to write a proper post?! I can't even calm down enough to read it.

NeverFeltBetter
22/06/2016, 9:07 PM
Brady started that move, and look at Hoolahan screaming for the ball to be given to him, just moments after the worst miss of his life. That's what you need.

passinginterest
22/06/2016, 9:11 PM
Really didn't think that goal was ever coming, nearly puked in the last few minutes, younger team and more energy definitely helped, the Italians not caring definitely helped, we owe the French one big time, no better time to pay them back, coybig!

NeverFeltBetter
22/06/2016, 9:12 PM
Jesus NFB, where did you get the composure to write a proper post?! I can't even calm down enough to read it.

God's honest truth, I thought the game was up and when I get annoyed I start angry typing thoughts on the fly.

NeverFeltBetter
22/06/2016, 9:14 PM
Really didn't think that goal was ever coming, nearly puked in the last few minutes, younger team and more energy definitely helped, the Italians not caring definitely helped, we owe the French one big time, no better time to pay them back, coybig!

Oh, how sweet would it be to knock them out of their own tournament? I refused to even think about the possibility beforehand. Now, just savoring even the possibility.

thischarmingman
22/06/2016, 9:15 PM
Just incredible. I was doing my GCSEs last time we won a tournament game.

shakermaker1982
22/06/2016, 9:19 PM
Sean St Ledger/the doc

Up your hole :) !!!!!

pineapple stu
22/06/2016, 9:30 PM
England in the quarters boyos!

Also - Apres Match! Nailed it. Brilliant! :-)

BonnieShels
22/06/2016, 9:30 PM
The missus thinks I'm watching the French game in Tubber, Co Clare. The missus is wrong.

BonnieShels
22/06/2016, 9:31 PM
Just incredible. I was doing my GCSEs last time we won a tournament game.

I was a year our of my leaving cert. End of college first year. The first time.

---

As much as it galled me to see the Representative Team of the Irish FA get through (and somewhat the Welsh), it must be a ball ache to be Scottish tonight.

gastric
22/06/2016, 9:32 PM
Have to agree with Dunphy, probably the best winning goal we have ever scored in a major championship. Brave by O'Neill to pick.this team. Happy for Hoolahan too as if we hadn't scored he would copped it.for his miss. Lastly, this could be our starting team come the WC qualifiers as none of these players will.be retiring after this campyaign.

SkStu
22/06/2016, 9:32 PM
I've just stopped crying. What a beautiful moment. So happy for Robbie and Wes. Amazing stuff. You know what I loved? The Irish fans, at about the 75' mark, at 0-0, raising the fcking roof with the Fields of Athenry. That's when we need it, that's when it means something. When the team needs the push to keep going and pushing through the pain, heat and exhaustion.

Love you all.

Eminence Grise
22/06/2016, 9:35 PM
Still shaking with emotion after that! Pure, raw pride watching that display of pure, raw pride. This could be the game that kickstarts a new era. We can beat anybody.

nigel-harps1954
22/06/2016, 9:36 PM
F*ck Schillachi indeed.

That was glorious.

NeverFeltBetter
22/06/2016, 9:38 PM
Brady in tears with his family at the end is as iconic as sight as it comes.

thischarmingman
22/06/2016, 9:40 PM
As much as it galled me to see the Representative Team of the Irish FA get through (and somewhat the Welsh), it must be a ball ache to be Scottish tonight.

No hard, but I just don't see how anyone into football could be put off by Northern Ireland's story. I'll be supporting them against Wales, and have everything crossed McGinn can do Derry City proud again!

NeverFeltBetter
22/06/2016, 9:43 PM
Beat France. Beat England. Beat Spain. Beat Belgium. Beat Trap over the head with the trophy. Get revenge on everybody for everything.

pineapple stu
22/06/2016, 9:46 PM
Our first ever tournament win in white.

tricky_colour
22/06/2016, 9:48 PM
Unbelievable night, it is right up there with anything that has happened in the past, maybe even better.

Not only the result but the performance, we dominated the match and the possession, we were not play off scraps and a wing and a prayer.

tricky_colour
22/06/2016, 9:51 PM
Anybody got a gif of the goal?

Olé Olé
First things first- cursing my luck for only going two games and for those two games to be the first two. That was just phenomenal.

So many good performances. I'm really struggling to complain about someone. Long and Murphy soldiered well and provided us with good outlets. Long stretched the Italians and Murphy's hold-up play was excellent. That was probably their exact respective remit.

But I thought the other 9 were awesome. In particular, though, Brady and Hendrick. Those two lads were awesome. How many times did they drive at the Italian defence with absolutely no fear? Hendrick did it in the opening minutes of the game and was unlucky with his shot. He did it time and time again. Brady did so too and finally got his and our reward. They are really gifted players. Hendrick has been, across the three matches so far, our best player in my book. But the move into the middle for Brady gave him a new lease of life. How gifted can you be to play LB, LM and CM in the bloody Euros?

McClean is a sheer testament to hardwork. He was superb. Liam Brady said he was his MOTM- not for ability but for sheer determination. I'd give it to Robbie Brady but I know what Liam means.

Hats off to Hoolahan. Missing that sitter would have seen him blamed for the draw. He made up for it emphatically with that ball. Great man.

What about O'Neill? Scalps of Italy and Germany. Domination of Sweden and Bosnia. Made Brady and Hendrick undisputed starters. Wait till he gets Jack Byrne into midfield with them behind Long. And Duffy centre back. Christ.

thischarmingman
Buffon's a class act.

https://twitter.com/hashim0307/status/745723024205287424?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Keane looked delighted. Incredible scenes at the end.

Eminence Grise
22/06/2016, 10:01 PM
Hats off to Hoolahan. Missing that sitter would have seen him blamed for the draw. He made up for it emphatically with that ball. Great man.

That's the spirit Keane meant when he said he wanted players who called for the ball to really want it. Absolute legend!

Olé Olé
22/06/2016, 10:04 PM
That's the spirit Keane meant when he said he wanted players who called for the ball to really want it. Absolute legend!

And I think McCarthy embodied some of Keane's spirit and tackling too. A lot more than he did in the last two games and repaid their faith.

tricky_colour
22/06/2016, 10:09 PM
https://twitter.com/STVSport/status/745719404579553280

osarusan
22/06/2016, 10:09 PM
F**king magic.

The Turks must be disgusted at the Italians but f**k the Turks.

thischarmingman
22/06/2016, 10:10 PM
And I think McCarthy embodied some of Keane's spirit and tackling too. A lot more than he did in the last two games and repaid their faith.

I thought the whole team were pretty feisty today.

tricky_colour
22/06/2016, 10:19 PM
Well done to McGeady, he was on the ball looking for Wes and picked him out.

SkStu
22/06/2016, 10:33 PM
Given how effective Hendrick (my joint Irish player of the tournament with Wes) and McCarthy were together, does that spell the end of Whelan as a starter? I am thinking that it must.

DeLorean
22/06/2016, 10:37 PM
We're so vulnerable without Whelan though Stu, Italy would have never been allowed hit the post had he been there.

McGeady did play an important part in the goal, nothing to grab the headlines but an important contribution, very similar when he kept the head to feed Hoolahan in Gelsenkirchen. He absolutely deserves to be there.

tricky_colour
22/06/2016, 10:42 PM
I dont wish to put a downer on things but I will anyway ;)

Italy didn't have much to play for, would the result have been different it they had?

Ironically it was only when they had go at us that we stuffed them! :cool:

Comic Book Guy
22/06/2016, 10:51 PM
F**king magic.

The Turks must be disgusted at the Italians but f**k the Turks.
Indeed, I've always held a grudge since bursa in 1999. Suck it up Johnny Turk.

Olé Olé
22/06/2016, 10:55 PM
I thought the whole team were pretty feisty today.

Oh they definitely were. But I think there was a marked increase in McCarthy's feistiness and he won some Keane-esque tackles in the same spot that Keane did in his day.

Olé Olé
22/06/2016, 10:57 PM
Given how effective Hendrick (my joint Irish player of the tournament with Wes) and McCarthy were together, does that spell the end of Whelan as a starter? I am thinking that it must.

Hendrick is awesome. I can't fathom how he's in and out of the Derby team (even injuries taken into account). Tardelli said that he'd be able for Serie A. Hopefully a few managers from there took notice tonight.

DeLorean
22/06/2016, 10:59 PM
Hendrick can be a bit streaky form-wise to be fair but he's never out of favour for long. He's been like a man possessed since the playoff second leg against Hull. Our most consistent performer over the three games for sure, kept showing against Belgium even when things weren't going well.