PDA

View Full Version : Italy V Republic of Ireland - Wednesday, 23rd June 2016 - Euro 2016 Group E

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

tricky_colour
22/06/2016, 11:00 PM
We played with heart something, lacking in the Trap ages.

SkStu
22/06/2016, 11:03 PM
We're so vulnerable without Whelan though Stu, Italy would have never been allowed hit the post had he been there.

McGeady did play an important part in the goal, nothing to grab the headlines but an important contribution, very similar when he kept the head to feed Hoolahan in Gelsenkirchen. He absolutely deserves to be there.

I'm truly "not sure if serious" with that first paragraph Del...it was the only time all game to that point that they had a true sight on goal. I thought our midfield did more than enough from the defensive perspective.

As for McGeady, he made two important attacking passes in his cameo - the two more simple things he tried actually. Along with his trademark frustrating crosses and wasteful end product. He is very lucky to be there. Due to his contribution to us getting out of the qualifying group, he deserves the loyalty that O'Neill showed him, it is questionable if he deserves to be there on merit:

tricky_colour
22/06/2016, 11:04 PM
Hendrick can be a bit streaky form-wise to be fair but he's never out of favour for long. He's been like a man possessed since the playoff second leg against Hull. Our most consistent performer over the three games for sure, kept showing against Belgium even when things weren't going well.

Not unlike a slice of bacon.

https://production-media.gousto.co.uk/cms/ingredient-image/smoked-streaky-bacon-x200.jpg

SkStu
22/06/2016, 11:09 PM
We're so vulnerable without Whelan though Stu, Italy would have never been allowed hit the post had he been there.

I'm truly "not sure if serious" with that first paragraph Del...it was the only time all game to that point that they had a true sight on goal. I thought our midfield did more than enough from the defensive perspective

Just saw your post in the France thread. Phew!

Olé Olé
22/06/2016, 11:10 PM
Hendrick can be a bit streaky form-wise to be fair but he's never out of favour for long. He's been like a man possessed since the playoff second leg against Hull. Our most consistent performer over the three games for sure, kept showing against Belgium even when things weren't going well.

Fair enough. I haven't watched enough of Derby to comment on the consistency of his form. I thought he was our best player against Sweden and Belgium and second to Brady tonight. Brady could develop really well in the middle. Hope he gets a good move but it'd be difficult for any manager to know what they're purchasing now: LB, LM or CM?

DeLorean
22/06/2016, 11:11 PM
I'm truly "not sure if serious" with that first paragraph Del...it was the only time all game to that point that they had a true sight on goal. I thought our midfield did more than enough from the defensive perspective.

I was playing on the fact that every time we concede a goal in his absence somebody says it wouldn't have happened if he was there. We're a much better side without him.

As for McGeady, he made two important attacking passes in his cameo - the two more simple things he tried actually. Along with his trademark frustrating crosses and wasteful end product. He is very lucky to be there. Due to his contribution to us getting out of the qualifying group, he deserves the loyalty that O'Neill showed him, it is questionable if he deserves to be there on merit:

I can't think of anybody more deserving of a place that isn't there, so in the regard I don't think he's lucky. I think there are probably two or three players in the squad who are actually lucky.

DeLorean
22/06/2016, 11:12 PM
Just saw your post in the France thread. Phew!

I thought you knew me better than that. :( :p

the doc
22/06/2016, 11:20 PM

We played with plenty of heart with Trap.

Great result tonight, but in all honestly we played an Italian reserve team, that had nothing to play for.

That said, I'd love pay back against the French!

Cymro
22/06/2016, 11:33 PM
Excellent performance and result. Italians as typically Italian as ever, cheat for 88 minutes whilst doing the bare minimum needed and try to nick a goal. Backfired on them tonight.

Bring on Northern Ireland I say, hope McGovern gets nice and drunk celebrating qualification and starts seeing double balls during the match.

tricky_colour
22/06/2016, 11:40 PM

Well lit was better that he passed to Wes than cross than cross himself. Seems to the thing to do, play to you strengths.

McGeady is better at close control of the ball. so better to get the ball to the players who have an end product.

SkStu
22/06/2016, 11:46 PM
Well lit was better that he passed to Wes than cross than cross himself. Seems to the thing to do, play to you strengths.

McGeady is better at close control of the ball. so better to get the ball to the players who have an end product.

Agree.

Kingdom
22/06/2016, 11:50 PM
Out of this world. I can't recall a better, composed, thoroughly deserved victory in a competitive match over a top-tier country.

Fair play to the coaching ticket. They deserved the criticism for Whatever it was they were trying to do against Belgium which didn't work,and this was Sweden performance4, so credit it where it is due.
The team was as right as it could be. I asked for Coleman to be replaced, and he was outstanding tonight. There was a comment on radio that Roy Keane was spotted having a very long and one-sided conversation with Coleman before kick-off, and obviously something clicked. Duffy and Keogh have the makings of a good partnership. Keogh made two wonderful covering interceptions in the first half, the second denying a certain goal. I don't care if Duffy is rudimental, agricultural, call it what you want. I want a centre half that's a colussus in our box, and in the opponents box, and his partner can be the covering, footballing centre-half. as an aside.. I felt Randolph was jittery tonight, not surprising I suppose.

The balance was right in midfield too. The Whelan call was huge, but let's be fair, we've all said that there isn't/shouldn't be room for the two in the same team, and with the greatest of respect to Glenn, McCarthy was always going to get the chance. Jimmy Mac (as we're calling him here) was very Whelan, but his use of the ball was pivotal to how we played. Simple, simple and then simple again. It says a lot that within a minute of him going off, we were opened up for the first time.

The only negative for me was Murphy. I agree the ball stayed up top a lot more, but I think it was as much down to the game we played rather than Murphy's influence. Long was excellent in the Walters role, unfortunately he didn't get much of an opportunity in the Long role (not a typo). Coleman was never exposed and in the second half in particular there was some really beautiful exchanges between himself Long, Hendrick and Brady.

Surely we can see that the high-pressing is something we're good at, effective at, and condenses play as far away from our goal as possible? That has to be the template going forward, and we've the players to persist with it. I appreciate that analysing things in the next few days might simmer the euphoria somewhat, probably due to Italy's selection, but hopefully the curve is back on the upswing, and the excellent performance (Germany > Poland; Sweden> Belgium) doesn't get followed up by a shocker.
14 heroes out there tonight. Keane mentioned words/phrases such as courage, balls, whites of the eyes in his media briefing the other night. Wes Hoolahan should be shoulder-lifted when they get back to Dublin for the absolute heroic minute following probably the best chance ever created in a major tournament for an Irish player. That's courage personified.

tricky_colour
22/06/2016, 11:53 PM
We played with plenty of heart with Trap.

Great result tonight, but in all honestly we played an Italian reserve team, that had nothing to play for.

That said, I'd love pay back against the French!

They could not play because we were all over them, we put pressure on them unlike 2012 when we
sat back and admired their passing.

tricky_colour
22/06/2016, 11:53 PM
Also Coleman was captain today, has he been captain before I think maybe he has?

tricky_colour
22/06/2016, 11:56 PM
SEAMUS COLEMAN INSISTS he is “not bothered” by recent remarks made by ex-Ireland assistant boss Marco Tardelli. (http://www.the42.ie/marco-tardelli-hits-out-ireland-lack-of-football-intellect-2836301-Jun2016/)

The ex-Italy international, who was former Irish manager Giovanni Trapattoni’s number two between 2008 and 2013, suggested Ireland players lacked football intellect and were inept tactically, but Coleman did his best to dismiss the former World Cup winner’s comments, saying: “I’m not really bothered what Marco thinks.”
The Donegal native’s manager Martin O’Neill similarly attempted to brush off the criticism: “I think that Marco is entitled to his opinion,” the 64-year-old coach said rather diplomatically.

tricky_colour
23/06/2016, 12:06 AM
Be great if we could put the French on the plane back home. ;) ;)

BonnieShels
23/06/2016, 12:23 AM
No hard, but I just don't see how anyone into football could be put off by Northern Ireland's story. I'll be supporting them against Wales, and have everything crossed McGinn can do Derry City proud again!

And on you go.

Firstly it's neighbourly one-up-manship. It would kill me to see them there and not us.

Secondly they are a team that has filled me with dread since I was a kid. Pure unadulterated misery. The worst kind of support and the worst kind of association. I'm Welsh on Saturday. Hows that for a story... ranked below the Faeroes?

But f**k them... we're through. ALLEZ LES VERTS!!!

BonnieShels
23/06/2016, 12:26 AM
Excellent performance and result. Italians as typically Italian as ever, cheat for 88 minutes whilst doing the bare minimum needed and try to nick a goal. Backfired on them tonight.

Bring on Northern Ireland I say, hope McGovern gets nice and drunk celebrating qualification and starts seeing double balls during the match.

Don't we all.

Razors left peg
23/06/2016, 1:38 AM
Never been prouder of the team than today. I thought we were done with about 20 mins to go. Looked like we were tired and out of ideas but my God did we dig deep!

I made it to the first game in Paris and all I can say is that the fans over there deserve it. Its a massive cliche to say that we have the best fans in the world, and the majority of the time its absolute bullsh1t, but in France they are doing the country proud and Im delighted for them..... but jealous that Im back home in the States and not still over there!!!

We have the basis of decent team going forward. McCarthy, Coleman, Hendrick, Brady, McClean, Long are gonna be around a while and we have a few decent lads coming through. Delighted that we have O'Neill in charge, he has shown that he is not afraid of making huge decisions like dropping Whelan and O'Shea tonight!

SwanVsDalton
23/06/2016, 1:47 AM
Well. Isn't this a good night?

Random, jumbled 'we fecking did it!' thoughts:

a) We had to win and we did, despite a situation which to my mind would strike our pressure-averse squad as totally freaky-deaky. That is so, so good.

b) O'Neill made some bold changes which paid big, slamming dividends performance wise - McCarthy excelled without Whelan, Duffy and Keogh were very good, Murphy (who has seriously limitiations) did a great job of tying up Italian defenders when he was there. Well done management, well done. McCkean was super too. The changes made real diffs.

c) The Italians were gash, but sack em - sure they had a referee to back em up.

d) I wasn't keen on the McGeady introduction *at all* but I thought his positioning and awareness for the goal was top notch.

e) A fourth win out of 21 major tournament games, by my count. And when it mattered most. Well done lads.

Bring on les Bleus.

thischarmingman
23/06/2016, 2:08 AM

That comma!

:p

samhaydenjr
23/06/2016, 4:03 AM
Utterly phenomenal - watched the game in a Toronto bar more in hope than in expectation and was thinking towards the end of the game "well at least we're going down fighting" and was looking on the bright side that the performance along with the potential emergence of the likes of Jack Byrne, Callum O'Dowda, Kevin Toner, Ian Lawlor, Alan Browne, Derrick Williams, Darragh Lenihan, Josh Cullen, Scott Hogan and others as immediate options for the National Team boded well for the coming World Cup qualifiers. And then Hoolahan scuffed his shot and I started cursing our luck...and then Hoolahan redeemed himself with that peach of a cross and Brady raced through with eyes on the ball and the prize to send us into ecstasy. Can't wait until Sunday. One more thing...on the question of where our expectations should be of our national football team, it may yet be a bit fanciful to aspire to be Italy or Spain or Germany but there's little or no reason why we can't aspire to be at the level of Croatia or even the current Belgium team if we get our coaching of youngsters right.

thischarmingman
23/06/2016, 4:47 AM
So with Ireland through to the last 16, we've managed to emulate Trap's team of four years ago, right?

tricky_colour
23/06/2016, 5:01 AM
That comma!

Yea was too lazy to fix it lol!

So with Ireland through to the last 16, we've managed to emulate Trap's team of four years ago, right?

Surely we have beaten it? Or maybe not I forget the format, was it 8 groups of 4 with two going through?

I guess you are right then!

Real ale Madrid
23/06/2016, 7:08 AM

Yes emulated, if you can call qualifying wins v Germany / Bosnia and a tournament win v Italy - emulating doing the double over Armenia and hammering Estonia.

Last night was like an exorcism of the ghosts of 2012. Hoolahan with a goal and an assist this tournament confirming what most of us already knew.

A great night.

Siberian
23/06/2016, 7:45 AM
The GAA should cancel all fixtures this Sunday so everyone can enjoy what will be a great national occasion ;). Looking forward to the Irish fans joining in singing 'Le Marseillaise'!!

DannyInvincible
23/06/2016, 7:56 AM
Hendrick has been my player of the tournament so far as well. He had an awful game against Belarus, but was brilliant both last night and against Sweden. A real stand-out performance so far.

I'm still not one hundred per cent convinced by Randolph. He's not howler-prone or anything and I don't want to be too harsh, but I just think he lacks a cutting edge to fully protect the goal.

Worth noting that Italy hit the post immediately after McCarthy came off for Wes, so we were undoubtedly a bit disjointed in that area of the field temporarily as a result.

Delighted for Wes that he "redeemed" himself with the cross and that we won as a result after he'd fluffed what was really the chance of the decade. It was the sort of chance that, because he had so much time to decide what he was going to do, but absolutely needed to get it right, it seemed he thought about it way too much.

But that cross for Brady about a minute later then when he could very easily have been completely and utterly despondent... Sheer perfection.

McClean worked his socks off up until the final whistle. What a workhorse. Although others have criticised him, I thought Duffy was strong and put his presence to good use. Coleman was on form and led well. He's captained us in a friendly against Italy before, no? And in a competitive game against Germany, I think...

Murphy did OK, perhaps aided by the fact he wasn't so isolated. Was delighted for McCarthy as well as he did put in a good shift and both O'Neill and Keane appreciated that. They made a point of making it known to him. I think that was important after the criticism he received for his performances in the first two games as I'm sure his confidence was dealt a bit of a blow. Worth mentioning McGeady's role in the build-up to the goal as well.

Anyway, we've broken the "white jersey curse" and we've also won a competitive game that Shane Long has started. Pretty sure someone mentioned something about us never having won a competitive game that Long had started...

What's the Walters injury situation like now, by the way?

There's no pressure at all on us now for Sunday and I am going to bloody enjoy it. Last night was emotional. Even had my ma and sister texting me from a holiday in Budapest telling me they watched it in an Irish pub and were on the cider as a result. My ma and sister never watch football, nor can I recall my ma ever having touched cider before in her life, ha. Bring on the hosts for some payback for 2009!

Great shot of Brady in front of the fans behind the goal, this:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CllWFn_WEAE1g07.jpg

Siberian
23/06/2016, 8:07 AM
Hendrick has been my player of the tournament so far as well. He had an awful game against Belarus, but was brilliant both last night and against Sweden. A real stand-out performance so far.

I'm still not one hundred per cent convinced by Randolph. He's not howler-prone or anything and I don't want to be too harsh, but I just think he lacks a cutting edge to fully protect the goal.

Worth noting that Italy hit the post immediately after McCarthy came off for Wes, so we were undoubtedly a bit disjointed in that area of the field temporarily as a result.

Delighted for Wes that he "redeemed" himself with the cross and that we won as a result after he'd fluffed what was really the chance of the decade. It was the sort of chance that, because he had so much time to decide what he was going to do, but absolutely needed to get it right, it seemed he thought about it way too much.

But that cross for Brady about a minute later then when he could very easily have been completely and utterly despondent... Sheer perfection.

McClean worked his socks off up until the final whistle. What a workhorse. Although others have criticised him, I thought Duffy was strong and put his presence to good use. Coleman was on form and led well. He's captained us in a friendly against Italy before, no? And in a competitive game against Germany, I think...

Murphy did OK, perhaps aided by the fact he wasn't so isolated. Was delighted for McCarthy as well as he did put in a good shift and both O'Neill and Keane appreciated that. They made a point of making it known to him. I think that was important after the criticism he received for his performances in the first two games as I'm sure his confidence was dealt a bit of a blow. Worth mentioning McGeady's role in the build-up to the goal as well.

Anyway, we've broken the "white jersey curse" and we've also won a competitive game that Shane Long has started. Pretty sure someone mentioned something about us never having won a competitive game that Long had started...

What's the Walters injury situation like now, by the way?

There's no pressure at all on us now for Sunday and I am going to bloody enjoy it. Last night was emotional. Even had my ma and sister texting me from a holiday in Budapest telling me they watched it in an Irish pub and were on the cider as a result. My ma and sister never watch football, nor can I recall my ma ever having touched cider before in her life, ha. Bring on the hosts for some payback for 2009!

Great shot of Brady in front of the fans behind the goal, this:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CllWFn_WEAE1g07.jpg

Love the bit about his ma going on the cider :)

DeLorean
23/06/2016, 8:19 AM

The way he's playing he'll save em both anyway. :D

osarusan
23/06/2016, 8:37 AM
Turkish fans last night.
https://scontent-vie1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13494978_1274088885958472_2821736510631184632_n.jp g?oh=a16cedd90899b499889a22a36928fb4c&oe=58039485

pineapple stu
23/06/2016, 8:40 AM
Don't want to lower the tone of the thread because that was a deserved win - how we didn't have at least one, probably two, penalties in the first half is beyond me - but what was Sirigu at for the goal? It's like he was trying to make it as easy as possible for Brady to score - come out, then make yourself as small as possible and dive out of the way. And all after Bonucci never saw Brady either and actually stopped tracking back.

Not complaining, mind! Just not very Italian.

BonnieShels
23/06/2016, 9:02 AM
I have to say, I never knew it was possible for a hangover to be sweet.

As an aside re the GAA, there's talk that Dublin v Meath is being pushed back on Sunday from its 4pm throw in time.

DeLorean
23/06/2016, 9:28 AM
Don't want to lower the tone of the thread because that was a deserved win - how we didn't have at least one, probably two, penalties in the first half is beyond me - but what was Sirigu at for the goal? It's like he was trying to make it as easy as possible for Brady to score - come out, then make yourself as small as possible and dive out of the way. And all after Bonucci never saw Brady either and actually stopped tracking back.

Bribes are very much Italian though, is that what you're getting at? :) Either that or they really really wanted Turkey out for some reason! I must say, Buffon looked chuffed that we got through.

jbyrne
23/06/2016, 9:36 AM
Bribes are very much Italian though, is that what you're getting at? :) Either that or they really really wanted Turkey out for some reason! I must say, Buffon looked chuffed that we got through.

Buffon seems to have a soft spot for us. also came down to applaud the Irish fans after the Italy match in Poland.
thought the Italian keeper looked there for the taking all night. was dreadful for murphys cross across the goal earlier among other things.

Kingdom
23/06/2016, 9:40 AM
That comma!

When you read your post, with the image of Grimey looking at your quote.....man that made my morning.

punkrocket
23/06/2016, 9:43 AM
Sore head and sore throat this morning. I must be coming down with something.

DannyInvincible
23/06/2016, 9:51 AM

Ha, I did think he was suspiciously bad. He made a crazy dive at one point and his kicking seemed to put his defenders in awkward positions too, but then if he'd wanted us to score, he could have easily let Wes score when it was one-on-one. I've looked at the save again and he at least looked to be trying to stop it anyway.

DeLorean
23/06/2016, 9:52 AM
Is he the PSG first choice?

pineapple stu
23/06/2016, 10:00 AM
I think so. The name's familiar anyway.

I don't think he was trying to let us win really by the way - just surprised at how bad he was. No wonder Buffon was so happy afterwards - no danger of him losing his spot for the rest of the tournament.

osarusan
23/06/2016, 10:02 AM
I was surprised at just how weak Italy's second string was. Less depth to their squad than I'd have assumed.

Stuttgart88
23/06/2016, 10:04 AM
Now, now!

In fairness the point about McCarthy having more of his own personality without Whelan is compelling. Stockholm, Lille. Any other time?

[edit: sorry, not getting the hang of quoting posts on my mobile: I meant to quote DeLirean's post about Whelan!]

Agree totally on McGeady. His final ball was poor but he was a Duff-like out ball when we needed it and he takes defenders with him.

He, Wes, Jeff and Robbie all really wanted to be on the ball. NcClean too. Great to see. And credit to McGeady, he looked for the ball in all 3 games when he came on.

Wrt criticism of Duffy and Randolph distribution, the pitch was truly shocking. I was having kittens any time Randolph was given a back pass.

Awesome night, as good as any of the really great nights, if not the best. Atmosphere was unreal.

I'd probably pair O'Shea and Keogh at CB vs France, but rest stays the same I think. I like Coleman as captain.

I'm on the Eurostar home now. Can't wait to watch my recording of the match after lunch and after voting.

Ireland remain in Europe, Turkey out.

What a day of football. Hungary 3-3, Iceland, then that. Stick that up your ar$e Daily Mail and other smug imperialists bemoaning expansion of the tournament. There's a morality tale in all of this.

BonnieShels
23/06/2016, 10:14 AM
When you read your post, with the image of Grimey looking at your quote.....man that made my morning.

I went back to look. That is quality right there.

geysir
23/06/2016, 11:03 AM
A brilliant day altogether. I managed to get to a screen in time to watch the 2nd half. I thought the goal wasn't going to come, that it was over and couldn't get why Wes was kept off in a game that was crying out for him, a game where we had possession and momentum. Hendrick and Brady both magnificent.
Italy are a strange team, excellent in their first game and ever since take your pick from cowardly, rubbish, cynical, thuggish, just brilliant to stab them at the end, exorcising any lingering Trap/Tardelli after taste.
In a game like that, sloggers like Murphy and McClean had their indelicate part to play.

pineapple stu
23/06/2016, 12:38 PM
Pizza and a pint - proper way to celebrate after.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Clltl78XEAQDSD5?format=jpg&name=small

tetsujin1979
23/06/2016, 12:47 PM
I love everything about this photo http://cdn-02.independent.ie/irish-news/article34826346.ece/3801a/BINARY/2016-06-23_iri_22215845_I4.JPG

Stuttgart88
23/06/2016, 1:49 PM
I know which bit I like best.

BonnieShels
23/06/2016, 1:52 PM
The watch.

Your (w)horologistic tendencies know no bounds.

punkrocket
23/06/2016, 2:07 PM
That would be a biological matter

pineapple stu
23/06/2016, 2:10 PM
It looks like they're performing some delicate surgery on the back of his neck.

BonnieShels
23/06/2016, 2:25 PM
Well after what Roy did to him he'll need it.