PDA

View Full Version : Worst Fans?

Pages : [1] 2

sligoman
22/01/2005, 10:07 AM
To link with Tarzan's thread, who in your opinion are the worst fans?

I have got to say Athlone Town because the ones I've met act like little knackers. :mad:

kevincronin2000
22/01/2005, 11:11 AM
SHELBOURNE, simply they have something to shout about but you rearly here them at tolka.

BohDiddley
22/01/2005, 12:20 PM
'sgotta be Shelbourne.
Then, what do you expect from a franchise?
Bring on the Donabate Dons!

anto eile
22/01/2005, 12:22 PM
the gypos.they epitomise the "you only sing when you're winning" type of fans

1 9 2 8
22/01/2005, 12:40 PM
Galway United Supporters
They are obsessed with hating us and they act like a shower of knackers

Shelbourne Supporters
The Same as kevincronin2000 post

Passive
22/01/2005, 1:04 PM
I think you're being harsh on Shels fans. There's not many of them, but that's hardly their fault. The lads who do get involved have come on leaps and bounds in terms of atmosphere.
Bohs are big-time 'sing when you're winning fans', but they are passionate. It's getting harder and harder to hate a group of fans who have such a comical ability to fight amongst themselves.
The fans I hate the most are probably the Cork fans who sit in the main stand. They are the ultimate 'sing when you're winning' crowd. Not a peep out of them until Cork score and suddenly their jumping around giving us the fingers and acting the hardman. Idiots. Waterford are like that too - must be a bogger thing ;).

GalwayFrancis
22/01/2005, 1:59 PM
[QUOTE=1 9 2 8]Galway United Supporters
They are obsessed with hating us and they act like a shower of knackers

Hello?was it the Sligo Rovers fans or the GUFC fans, who threw a rock thru the GUFC fans bus,on a trip to The Showgrounds,two years ago? An we're the ones that "act like a shower of knackers"?

My opinion of the team with the worst fans, has to be the Drogs, when we were up in o2 Park, as it was, we received alot of abuse and one or two of our lads got hit, after the game.
Best fans, has to be Finn Harps, with GUFC's biggest away fans attendence in Terryland Park, going to FHFC.

Martinho II
22/01/2005, 3:00 PM
the worst shamrock rovers for their holligan element.

Slash/ED
22/01/2005, 5:04 PM
Bohs are the worst for the sing when you're winning element alright. I find it bizzare people say the Shels fans are bad for singing, of all the things you could level against us, but how and however.

Dr.Nightdub
22/01/2005, 6:01 PM
Waterford. They do this eerie mute appreciation thing, in the first match down there last season it was like they were observing a 45 minutes' silence for the whole of the first half.

max power
22/01/2005, 6:36 PM
cork.......

Gary
22/01/2005, 7:14 PM
^^^ You've outdone yourself again there max :rolleyes:

Worst for me would be Waterford/Bohs, certainly athmosphere-wise. Im surprised with Bohs, as they were great to have around until recently. Waterford RSC is like a morgue.

At least Shams (whats left of them), and Shels make an effort colour and athmosphere-wise. SPA arent too bad either.

sligoman
22/01/2005, 7:15 PM
[QUOTE=1 9 2 8]Hello?was it the Sligo Rovers fans or the GUFC fans, who threw a rock thru the GUFC fans bus,on a trip to The Showgrounds,two years ago? An we're the ones that "act like a shower of knackers"?

:D :D-Good comeback!. That was a bunch of young fellas I mean that's what they do and also the majority of young ones in Sligo are knackers anyway. No one was hurt on the bus were they?. Just a broken window

Cosmo
22/01/2005, 7:20 PM
'My opinion of the team with the worst fans, has to be the Drogs, when we were up in o2 Park, as it was, we received alot of abuse and one or two of our lads got hit, after the game.'

Yawn, a bit of a generalisation there. Was talking to a few of galway fans when they were taking down flags and had a great chat to them and mixed well with them. Spot on blokes they were and im sure they thought the same about us.

Also there were stories of some supporters swapping scarves after the match too (a bit gay in my opinion) :rolleyes:

WindmillWarrior
22/01/2005, 7:31 PM
Worst fans? Here yis go:

http://www.photostor.com/image/3495/medium

D*ndalk fans fighting among themselves in Boriel during our cup tie with them.

Stevo Da Gull
22/01/2005, 8:23 PM
I would say Dundalk, a little too hostile, remind me of the Turkey fans on the TV (no offence to any Turks).

patsh
22/01/2005, 8:28 PM
"Worst" is probably unfair, as all clubs have a group who put in an effort and try their best. However, I would have to go for Waterford. They have a loud, noisy and hardworking group of about 20(?), who try to get some atmosphere going, but the rest just sit there, and then if Waterford score, turn on visiting fans and start giving the finger etc. When Waterford are getting beaten, they are very quick to leave as well.

joeraki
22/01/2005, 8:47 PM
Dundalk sometimes, though its only when all the little 6 can **** heads that go to the odd game. more of an irratation really

Bohs fans. Heard they are selling the naming rights to Dayler. Massey Funeral Directors should look into it

joeraki
22/01/2005, 8:49 PM
I would say Dundalk, a little too hostile, remind me of the Turkey fans on the TV (no offence to any Turks).

I wish !!!

Bosco
22/01/2005, 9:48 PM
However, I would have to go for Waterford. They have a loud, noisy and hardworking group of about 20(?), who try to get some atmosphere going, but the rest just sit there, and then if Waterford score, turn on visiting fans and start giving the finger etc. When Waterford are getting beaten, they are very quick to leave as well.

Sounds a bit like us to be honest.We travel in good numbers but theres usually only a few of us interested in getting much of an atmosphere going

A face
22/01/2005, 10:31 PM
I hate this thread ...... i'd rather see a thread about what clubs/sets of fans are doing to improve the atmosphere and get more crowds in ... where does the blame lie ..... should the clubs be doing more to get fans in or should the people involved with and supporting the club pitch in and encourage people to do it.

If everyone on this thread stepped back and asked "what is actually being done" ... how long would your reply post be ??

And to say .... "they just wont come" is not good enough, fair enough if there is effort and no reward, but more often than not there is no effort, thus no reward. And you'll find that the people pointing the finger are furthest away when needed (no debate on that one)

I would have to say that aways fans are normally more lively and it should be encouraged, fans sending texts,emails,phone calls to radio stations, etc while on the move to a game is brilliant to hear. The banter while traveling is priceless, when your bus catches up with the others, you couldn't replace it if you tried. It has to be said ... some of the best moments for any fan are always away. That is one thing that eL fans will always have over barstoolers.

De Town
23/01/2005, 9:51 AM
I hate this thread ...... i'd rather see a thread about what clubs/sets of fans are doing to improve the atmosphere and get more crowds in ... where does the blame lie ..... should the clubs be doing more to get fans in or should the people involved with and supporting the club pitch in and encourage people to do it.

If everyone on this thread stepped back and asked "what is actually being done" ... how long would your reply post be ??

And to say .... "they just wont come" is not good enough, fair enough if there is effort and no reward, but more often than not there is no effort, thus no reward. And you'll find that the people pointing the finger are furthest away when needed (no debate on that one)

I would have to say that aways fans are normally more lively and it should be encouraged, fans sending texts,emails,phone calls to radio stations, etc while on the move to a game is brilliant to hear. The banter while traveling is priceless, when your bus catches up with the others, you couldn't replace it if you tried. It has to be said ... some of the best moments for any fan are always away. That is one thing that eL fans will always have over barstoolers.

Spot on Face. You will never beat the atmosphere, craic, all round fun of an away match. I always look forward to away matches more than home ones because you know that the people who do go to away matches are generally the "hardcore" as it were and they will travel to see their team wherever they are playing instead of the "home" fans who will chant "Da Longford, dum, dum, dum" every 10 minutes or so.

harpskid
23/01/2005, 10:36 AM
Well said A Face!!

There are somethings that happen travelling to away games that are just priceless :cool:

dcfcsteve
23/01/2005, 10:53 AM
There are somethings that happen travelling to away games that are just priceless :cool:

Like leaving Donegal...... ? :p :D :o

Cosmo
23/01/2005, 6:01 PM
instead of the "home" fans who will chant "Da Longford, dum, dum, dum" every 10 minutes or so.

10 minutes? You're havin a laugh - more like every 10 games for your lot.

harry crumb
23/01/2005, 6:13 PM
Bohs fans are the worst. All they do is moan.

Cork fans arent great either. We have a big load of know it all moaners too. We also have crowds that go from 8000 to 1500 in the space of a week. Its very frustrating. We need to get more season ticket holders.

Cosmo
23/01/2005, 6:19 PM
'Cork fans arent great either. We have a big load of know it all moaners too. We also have crowds that go from 8000 to 1500 in the space of a week.'

Very good point that people seem to oversee alot

Colm
23/01/2005, 6:32 PM
Cork fans arent great either. We have a big load of know it all moaners too. We also have crowds that go from 8000 to 1500 in the space of a week.

Please give me an example of when this has ever happened in recent times?? I hate when people make stupid statements like that. We have the biggest home support and the biggest, noisiest and most colourful away support. Of course we can always get better but at the moment our support is as good as it's ever been.

I do agree though that we have too many "know it all moaners". Dolan, Lennox, Fenn and Georgie have all come in for abuse from these fools. I suppose with so many fans though there is always going to be a proportion of them who are muppets.

As for who are the worst, Waterford are always pathetic when we go down there. We always outnumber them and they rarely make even the slightest bit of noise.
Longford are also terrible, always tiny crowds and far too many GAA type supporters. They do have about 20 or so who make a bit of an effort though.
UCD and Dublin City, hardly have any support at all so you can't even really include them here.
I think bar Rovers (and thats only condsidering their loyalty despite all their plights) all the Dublin clubs support is a joke.
No teams have perfect support but I think apart from Cork City, Derry, Harps and maybe Rovers everyone else's support is an embarrassment at this moment in time, plenty of room for improvment all round.

harry crumb
23/01/2005, 7:08 PM
I exaggerated a bit Colm, but you get the drift. We have a lot of glory hunters. I agree about the noise and colour, we are getting better and better all the time.

Its never been a better time to be a City fan IMO.

A face
23/01/2005, 7:37 PM
Its never been a better time to be a City fan IMO.

WRONG .... its ALWAYS a good time to be a City fan !! ;) :p

1 9 2 8
23/01/2005, 8:14 PM
the cobh fans when they travel in numbers are bad.

We know all about them lot P!ssed teenagers acting the c*nt

Longfordian
23/01/2005, 10:10 PM
Longford are also terrible, always tiny crowds and far too many GAA type supporters. They do have about 20 or so who make a bit of an effort though.

Have you seen the size of our population recently? we can't afford to turn away 'GAA type supporters' as you put it. Our crowds could better and I wish they were but no point calling it terrible, considering we're working from the lowest population in the Premier Division by a mile..You'd swear every man, woman and child in Cork went to your matches :rolleyes:

harry crumb
24/01/2005, 2:10 AM
I dont think the Waterford stadium lends itself to a great atmosphere in fairness.

SÓC
24/01/2005, 8:45 AM
I dont think the Waterford stadium lends itself to a great atmosphere in fairness.

True, worse thing ever is watching a game when there is a running track.

IMO Worse fans are Waterford but then again they have an excuse for home games. The thing that IMO made them quite poor this season was their shocking numbers at the Cup final and their poor turn out at the Cross this season

observer
24/01/2005, 9:04 AM
Spot on Longfordian. If you were to go by population base in comparison to Longford Cork City should have average crowds of 15,000. Remember Cork at one stage supported two teams in the top flight of the league. Where were all these fabulous fans when the best playing surface in the country, Flower Lodge (see Bobby Charlton thread) was sold to the GAA, and but for them would probably be an apartment block by now. In relation to the support of GAA fans Colm get a life. We could not survive without the support of those genuine sports followers who support all local teams when they can. Are you telling us that no city fans supported the Cork hurlers last year?
Do not bring shame on the cultural capital with such bigoted statements. It is mentality such as this, which you share with thos other bigots Con and Frank Murphy's of Cork's GAA world, that is keeping Croke Park closed in spite of the wishes of 80% of the GAA's membership. :( :mad:

I feel better now, glad I got that off my chest. :)

Clones Road Cas
24/01/2005, 9:07 AM
In terms of numbers i suspect that would be us.

CRC

Ronnie
24/01/2005, 9:17 AM
Best away fans for continuos support of their team in Flancare are Rovers and Derry. Other than Section O, our home fans are brutal. In relation to our away support it only seems any good in Richmond and Dalyer.

Macy
24/01/2005, 9:31 AM
I'm not looking forward to Bray - the annoying little knackers always píss me off, and someone always reacts to their spitting/stone throwing (howya Pauro :D ). Could do with a good kicking, but too young for that....

Online the worst fans have to be Cork - mainly because of their revisionism and arrogance. See Colm's posts on here as a prime example.

Best, I'd go for Rovers or Harps. I actually like the mayhem that Rovers create, just pity that it occasionally spills over into violence (and when it does it's usually a "6 of one, half a dozen of the other" incident in which they get all the mither).

Gary
24/01/2005, 9:43 AM
Online the worst fans have to be Cork - mainly because of their revisionism and arrogance.

To be fair Macy, there are only a very small number of City fans who are like that. I mean, I could just turn around and say the same about Longford due to Max Powers behaviour, and Patrick D etc.

Macy
24/01/2005, 9:54 AM
To be fair Macy, there are only a very small number of City fans who are like that. I mean, I could just turn around and say the same about Longford due to Max Powers behaviour, and Patrick D etc.
I suppose so, but maybe due to the numbers on here, it seems so much worse.... :) And again, I suppose the ones I see popping up on other MB's could be just the same people with different log ons...

Partizan
24/01/2005, 10:39 AM
True, worse thing ever is watching a game when there is a running track.

IMO Worse fans are Waterford but then again they have an excuse for home games. The thing that IMO made them quite poor this season was their shocking numbers at the Cup final and their poor turn out at the Cross this season

Its quite easy for the **** fans to slag off our Club, ground, support etc.
Look, we dont own the RSC and the TD's that represent Waterford couldnt give a rat's ass to lay a finger in helping us develop the ground. I hate the place but there isnt much we can do about it.

Our poor support: The Jimmy McGeough saga and the antics of our Chairman turned alot of fans and potential investors away from the Club. The presense of the resurgent hurling team in the county has seen the Waterford public (bandwagoners the lot of em) get behind the boggers for the annual three games out for an excuse of a big **** up. They have no interest at the moment in WUFC and until such a time we do become successful and win a major trophy, the public will find another bandwagon to hop on.

The support at the Cup Final was shocking. I admit the 3,500 is our hardcore support who go to the RSC on an on-off basis throughout the season. The rest of the Wateford sporting public who 'love the county' (John Mullanesque like)went to the pub to watch the ManUre - ARSEnal game and just couldnt be bothered going to the Cup Final in supporting a team representing the county but instead support every summer a bunch of over inflated prima madonnas who spit at fellow players, crease a hurley accross a rival oponent and give the v-signs to rival supporters.

Then again no matter what I say, it will all fall on deaf ears and the 'sheepshagger' 'small village team' crap will be used. :rolleyes:

joey B
24/01/2005, 10:42 AM
As far as i am concerned it is Derry city one of them threatned to break my legs because i posted a picture on the Harps forum which he drafted. :mad:

Colm
24/01/2005, 11:22 AM
Online the worst fans have to be Cork - mainly because of their revisionism and arrogance. See Colm's posts on here as a prime example.

How was I being arrogant?? I was merely stating the obvious in saying that Cork City have by far the largest home and away support in the country and that at away games we are probably the noisiest and most colourful. That's not arrogance Macy, it's fact. If I was being arrogant I would have said that it's always been like this but of course I am honest enough to admit that it wasn't, you only have to go back about 10 years and things were a lot different for City fans. However, that was then and this is now and I think we are more than entitled to boast.

In relation to the support of GAA fans Colm get a life.

Talk about people getting the wrong end of the stick. I wasn't having a go at GAA fans at all, I was just trying to point out how many bandwagon supporters Longford have and was getting at the way a lot of them sit in the stand silently for most of the game but if they score they just chant "Longford dum dum dum etc". I know the section O crowd make an effort there's just not anywhere near enough of ye for ye to make an impact.
On Longford's population, yes it's small but for ye to get 10,000 people watch ye win the cup one week and for them not to be impressed enough to come back the next week and ye end up with 1000 is a joke. Ye must be tearing ye're hair out wondering what ye have to do because for ye to win two cup finals and still get such paltry attendances refleclts very badly on the Longford sporting public.

dublinred
24/01/2005, 11:30 AM
It would have to be the 4,200 Rovers fans who have not been seen regularly at the showgrounds since 1994.

clownboy
24/01/2005, 11:45 AM
Well said Colm ...Cork have excellent fans ...I wish every Eircom League ground had the same atmosphere as turners cross.Yeare a credit to cork with the amount of noise and support that ye give... Fair play

patsh
24/01/2005, 11:50 AM
Its quite easy for the **** fans to slag off our Club, ground, support etc.

:rolleyes:
1. Have a look through the thread, it's not only fans of Cork City have commented on how poor your support is. Of course, you would never miss a chance to have a go at Cork City, it's a wonder you didn't manage to work "fat" into your post somewhere.
2. Nobody is slagging off your support, the thread is about "worst fans", and people have simply posted who they think are the worst.
3. I posted that it was unfair in some ways to say any club has the worst fans as every club has a group who try their best. Waterford have a small group who always make an effort, and they are to be encouraged and congratulated for that. However, Waterford fans themselves complain just how bad their support can be at times, and the things you gave as excuses for poor support apply to every other club in the country.

Longfordian
24/01/2005, 12:05 PM
Talk about people getting the wrong end of the stick. I wasn't having a go at GAA fans at all, I was just trying to point out how many bandwagon supporters Longford have and was getting at the way a lot of them sit in the stand silently for most of the game but if they score they just chant "Longford dum dum dum etc". I know the section O crowd make an effort there's just not anywhere near enough of ye for ye to make an impact.
On Longford's population, yes it's small but for ye to get 10,000 people watch ye win the cup one week and for them not to be impressed enough to come back the next week and ye end up with 1000 is a joke. Ye must be tearing ye're hair out wondering what ye have to do because for ye to win two cup finals and still get such paltry attendances refleclts very badly on the Longford sporting public.

OK, i took you up wrong. It is indeed very frustrating that the bandwagoners don't return often enough and it is a poor reflection on the Longford sporting public. I think all clubs have an element of bandwagon support though which rears its head at cup finals

pineapple stu
24/01/2005, 12:41 PM
Please give me an example of when this has ever happened in recent times?? I hate when people make stupid statements like that.
8000 against Bohs last day of last season; under 2000 at the first game?

Granted, end-of-season, title-chasing v. crappy lashing rain day, but there's one straight up for you! ;)

observer
24/01/2005, 4:30 PM
I am quite sure that I took you up correctly Colm and may I explain for your information that attendance at the FAI cup final is not indicative of the pool of local support available for the following reasons.
1. Longfordians travelled from abroad(mostly England and America) to share in the occasion.
2. Supporters also travelled from all over Ireland who would not be in a position to travel to Longford every week.
3. Regular supporters exorted their friends, relations to attend and brought all their own clans for what was a great family celebration.
4. Every club would expect to get people to travel to a final who would not normally have much interest in the team. This is normal and nothing to complain about, as we welcome everyone who can help to urge on the team in a big match, and maybe give us the edge as certainly happened against Waterford.

By the way I am still classing you with Con and Frank Murphy. :p

Éanna
24/01/2005, 5:22 PM
I think you're being harsh on Shels fans. There's not many of them, but that's hardly their fault. The lads who do get involved have come on leaps and bounds in terms of atmosphere.
agreed. the BD do their best in fairness.