PDA

View Full Version : The Roddy Collins Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3

nigel-harps1954
28/04/2015, 12:41 PM
I believe foot.ie really lacks a Roddy Collins controversy thread. He's good for a gem every now and again and it's unfair of him to clog up other threads on this site.

In reply to:
http://www.thestar.ie/star/for-lrish-football-to-grow-clubs-must-be-sacrificed-61895/

Balls.ie article: http://tinyurl.com/ngj659w

And I quite enjoyed this:

http://www.donegaldaily.com/2015/04/28/finn-harps-fans-compare-roddy-collins-to-katie-hopkins/

"Finn Harps fans compare Roddy Collins to Katie Hopkins." That's quite a headline.

Mr A
28/04/2015, 12:58 PM
Broken links there. Not sure about the first as I can't open it at work, but the last two are bogart.

nigel-harps1954
28/04/2015, 1:05 PM
Broken links there. Not sure about the first as I can't open it at work, but the last two are bogart.

Balls.ie article didn't work with 'p!ssed off' in the url.

Last one works fine for me.

osarusan
28/04/2015, 1:16 PM
He's a clown who just wants attention. Best thing to do is ignore him.

GCdfc
28/04/2015, 1:24 PM
He will revel in the knowledge that he has his own dedicated thread. Please delete it!

outspoken
28/04/2015, 2:06 PM
the more he contradicts himself in his columns the more I'm starting to ignore him. He's just trying to stay relevant god love him.

seand
28/04/2015, 2:41 PM
Collins needs to be starved of the oxygen of attention. And then just starved of oxygen.

Martinho II
28/04/2015, 3:39 PM
thank god we had the sense not to recruit him in 08 even though we might have bein promoted under him! he would have destroyed our club!

hoops1
28/04/2015, 5:43 PM
Would actually agree with Roddy there are too many clubs in Dublin.

TonyD
28/04/2015, 6:33 PM
Liked his comments on Owen Heary - "10 games is enough to judge a manager in a new job" It was certainly enough for Derry last season - how long did they give Roddy again :D

On the Dublin clubs - I'm reluctant to even comment, but, it's stupid stuff. So if Pats and Shels didn't exist Bohs and Rovers would be getting 5,000 every week ? Really ? Leaving aside the fact that Pats crowds are as good as Bohs (both crap I know).

Once again, Roddys main problem is that no-one will employ him. He'd crawl over broken glass to take over at Richmond Park, so his "opinion" here is as worthless as usual. Who knows if he even believes what he's spouting.

Ezeikial
28/04/2015, 6:53 PM

Bray Rovers or Shamrock Wanderers?

White Horse
29/04/2015, 1:53 AM
Suggesting that a team with the tradition and successful history of St. Pats should be chucked out the league shows how ridiculous Roddy is.

Charlie Darwin
29/04/2015, 2:47 AM
Is that you talking to Donegal Daily, Nige?

nigel-harps1954
29/04/2015, 7:30 AM
One of them alright yeah.

Sam_Heggy
29/04/2015, 9:17 AM
I agree, Harps tradition is absolutely in the past, I think.

Or is our future in the past and our past in the future?

Mind blowing stuff Rodderick.

gufcfan
29/04/2015, 3:32 PM
To the Harps fans who are angry/bemused at Roddy's remarks, do you really honestly think that there is room for Finn Harps and Roddy's sizeable noggin in the LOI? I think not.

Mr A
29/04/2015, 4:08 PM
No problem there. Roddy isn't in the LOI and there's no prospect of his return. Unless Heary gets the road and a panicky Sligo board press the big red button marked "RODDY COLLINS- DO NOT PRESS"

DannyInvincible
29/04/2015, 4:26 PM
I agree, Harps tradition is absolutely in the past, I think.

Or is our future in the past and our past in the future?

Mind blowing stuff Rodderick.

He's just challenging the very concept of time itself there, isn't he? We should bow down to such thought for it is beyond us mere mortals.

SkStu
29/04/2015, 5:48 PM
He's just challenging the very concept of time itself there, isn't he? We should bow down to such thought for it is beyond us mere mortals.

Roddy Darko...

toffeejay
29/04/2015, 5:58 PM
See anyone else might say Heary's not doing a good enough job at Sligo, he needs to be replaced.
But not Roddy no, he says its time for Heary to leave management for good.

Roddy Collins, whose had about two good seasons out 15.

gufcfan
29/04/2015, 6:46 PM
the big red button marked "RODDY COLLINS- DO NOT PRESS"
Haha, gas.

Longfordian
29/04/2015, 6:51 PM

Like Matthew McConaughey in Interstellar the Rod has discovered a way to annoy people from another dimension.

wonder88
29/04/2015, 8:19 PM
Just a question; was getting Athlone and Monaghan promoted any sort of achievement or could anybody with basic knowledge of soccer do the same?

Charlie Darwin
29/04/2015, 8:24 PM
Well he did it with the triple handicap of a small budget, no locally-based players and his son playing in the team. He's a very good First Division manager - maybe the best - but not a very good Premier Division manager. Which is nothing to be ashamed of, but equally nothing to justify his vastly over-inflated media presence.

SkStu
29/04/2015, 8:37 PM
Roddy Collins, whose had about two good seasons out 15.

3 in fairness - he relegated Rovers too.

outspoken
29/04/2015, 9:15 PM
Just a question; was getting Athlone and Monaghan promoted any sort of achievement or could anybody with basic knowledge of soccer do the same?

Mick Cooke had mons on the brink for a few seasons but couldn't get them over the line but fair play to Roddy he finished the job and having spent 17 years in the FD to get Athlone up as champions out of absolutely no where really was an incredible achievement, I'd go as far as to say his stock was at its highest since his Bohs days when he took over at Derry off the back of that but his Super fast crashing and burning at the Brandywell has made him unemployable

Nah Nah Nah Nah
29/04/2015, 10:31 PM
No problem there. Roddy isn't in the LOI and there's no prospect of his return. Unless Heary gets the road and a panicky Sligo board press the big red button marked "RODDY COLLINS- DO NOT PRESS"

Theres somethings you shouldn't joke about

dong
30/04/2015, 8:41 AM
True enough. He's good for a laugh but the prospect of him actually getting the job would keep me awake at night.

El-Pietro
30/04/2015, 9:21 AM
Mick Cooke had mons on the brink for a few seasons but couldn't get them over the line but fair play to Roddy he finished the job and having spent 17 years in the FD to get Athlone up as champions out of absolutely no where really was an incredible achievement, I'd go as far as to say his stock was at its highest since his Bohs days when he took over at Derry off the back of that but his Super fast crashing and burning at the Brandywell has made him unemployable
Mick Cooke finished 3rd out of 12 teams in 2010, but only 1 team went up automatically plus a playoff for second versus second last in the Premier Division.
Roddy Collins finished 3rd out of 12 teams in 2011, with two teams going up automatically plus a playoff.

outspoken
30/04/2015, 9:27 AM
Mick Cooke finished 3rd out of 12 teams in 2010, but only 1 team went up automatically plus a playoff for second versus second last in the Premier Division.
Roddy Collins finished 3rd out of 12 teams in 2011, with two teams going up automatically plus a playoff.

He still got them over the line and considering the small fan base it was quiet an achievement at the time but we all know where it went from there.

nigel-harps1954
30/04/2015, 9:46 AM
The difference between Roddy and other managers is that he has a knack of convincing boards to give him a stupidly large budget.

vinnie
30/04/2015, 12:32 PM
3 in fairness - he relegated Rovers too.

He swears Blind he had nothing to do with it though, and one of the main points on his CV is that he has never never had a team he was managing relegated

DannyInvincible
30/04/2015, 12:35 PM
He swears Blind he had nothing to do with it though, and one of the main points on his CV is that he has never never had a team he was managing relegated

Isn't that because he always jumped ship or got sacked before the inevitable came to pass?

seand
30/04/2015, 12:43 PM
Isn't that because he always jumped ship or got sacked before the inevitable came to pass?

Yes.
Jumped ship at Dublin City 2004 - relegated
Sacked with a game to go at Rovers 2005 - relegated
Joined Cork late 2008, went bust early 2009 (don't think we can really blame Roddy for that one)
Managing Mons 2012 when resigned the league

GypsyBlackCat
30/04/2015, 4:01 PM
Liked his comments on Owen Heary - "10 games is enough to judge a manager in a new job" It was certainly enough for Derry last season - how long did they give Roddy again :D

On the Dublin clubs - I'm reluctant to even comment, but, it's stupid stuff. So if Pats and Shels didn't exist Bohs and Rovers would be getting 5,000 every week ? Really ? Leaving aside the fact that Pats crowds are as good as Bohs (both crap I know).

Once again, Roddys main problem is that no-one will employ him. He'd crawl over broken glass to take over at Richmond Park, so his "opinion" here is as worthless as usual. Who knows if he even believes what he's spouting.

If the was never a Shels and/or Pat's then maybe Bohs and Rovers would get ok crowds. But does Collins really think that if Pat's and Shels (two clubs with great history) were told to fold their fans would suddenly support Bohs and Rovers?!;)

GypsyBlackCat
30/04/2015, 4:02 PM
Yes.
Jumped ship at Dublin City 2004 - relegated
Sacked with a game to go at Rovers 2005 - relegated
Joined Cork late 2008, went bust early 2009 (don't think we can really blame Roddy for that one)
Managing Mons 2012 when resigned the league

Carlisle United too!

wonder88
01/05/2015, 12:00 AM
Interesting opinion that Peter Hutton is a better manager than Roddy, could some Finn Harps folks comment on this. Also how long is the list of current LoI managers who have won league/cup double and defeated clubs from Scotland and the Bundesliga in European competitions. Clear that he is disliked by many, but it might be no harm to point out a few achievements as well. Athlone fans rate Collins v Mick Cooke.
I only saw Athlone play twice when he was boss there, but there seemed to be good spirit, organisation etc that must have had some input from the manager. I think he has a point about poor leadership from Fran Gavin when self interest of certain clubs hold back developments that would progress the league as a whole. The example given of Bohs objecting to Rovers having a friendly against Real Madrid.

nigel-harps1954
01/05/2015, 12:57 AM
Less said about Hutton as manager the better.

An absolute gentleman, a wonderful player, simply one of the nicest fellas up about Finn Park in years, but his managerial record speaks for itself, Harps worst league finish in the history of the club.

Obviously, this is without going into any details.

Charlie Darwin
01/05/2015, 1:13 AM
Hutton will get a couple of years at Derry for being a club legend. Roddy wouldn't be the first manager from the south to fail up there, albeit he was probably the most stupid in the way he alienated the squad and fans from the off. Still think it's odd the way they got rid of Declan Devine.

cestlavie
01/05/2015, 3:26 PM
Hutton as a manager hasnt a clue. Thankfully he left Harps & took some chaff/spoofers with him who are still on his bench today. As Derry are not expected to do anything at the moment he may get away with it being a Derry Leg end. He took a reserve goal keeper from Finn Harps to Derry this year who is nowhere good enough. I think Harps got the better deal by getting Ciaran Gallagher back when one compares him to Conor Winn who simply must be one of the worst keepers EVER.

Just like Brendan Rogers Hutton will be found out if he hasnt already.

Roddy is a bull**** merchant.

Nesta99
01/05/2015, 3:38 PM
Also how long is the list of current LoI managers who have won league/cup double and defeated clubs from Scotland and the Bundesliga in European competitions. Clear that he is disliked by many, but it might be no harm to point out a few achievements as well. Athlone fans rate Collins v Mick Cooke.

If Collins had been a slightly more humlbe (dont laugh) person in not trying to spoof away relegation responsibility as his finest example, his achievements would be much more to the fore in peoples minds. Appearing at grounds like a buzzard when rumours of an impending managerial sacking further made him seem pure mercenary. When he didnt get the job he spat the dummy and claimed that the suits knew nothing about football. When he got the Derry job he knew he was in last chance saloon but instead of keeping the head down he set ridiculous goals and made big claims that were football suicide on top of alienating his players with Dr Nick style sports psychology. When no one else would appoint him in LoI he denegrates the entire league and backhandedly insulting Luton Town while at it. His sucesses with Bohs were imo with a good deal of help from his backroom team, A top manager would have kept those guys around him rather than believing his own hype and ranting on about being Ireland manager in x number of years. He is an interesting and charismatic chap to talk to, and i'd imagine that he is a good man motivator when staying away from the mind games. Stick a microphone on front of him and he relegates himself to media hoaring by attempting controversy. Hence I agree with SeanD that he sould be given as little air as is enough to keep him quiet. He might even get back in to football then..

Nesta99
01/05/2015, 3:43 PM
Roddy wouldn't be the first manager from the south to fail up there

Roddy and Pat like they made them they matched them!

dong
04/05/2015, 8:36 AM
If Collins had been a slightly more humlbe (dont laugh) person in not trying to spoof away relegation responsibility as his finest example, his achievements would be much more to the fore in peoples minds. Appearing at grounds like a buzzard when rumours of an impending managerial sacking further made him seem pure mercenary. When he didnt get the job he spat the dummy and claimed that the suits knew nothing about football. When he got the Derry job he knew he was in last chance saloon but instead of keeping the head down he set ridiculous goals and made big claims that were football suicide on top of alienating his players with Dr Nick style sports psychology. When no one else would appoint him in LoI he denegrates the entire league and backhandedly insulting Luton Town while at it. His sucesses with Bohs were imo with a good deal of help from his backroom team, A top manager would have kept those guys around him rather than believing his own hype and ranting on about being Ireland manager in x number of years. He is an interesting and charismatic chap to talk to, and i'd imagine that he is a good man motivator when staying away from the mind games. Stick a microphone on front of him and he relegates himself to media hoaring by attempting controversy. Hence I agree with SeanD that he sould be given as little air as is enough to keep him quiet. He might even get back in to football then..
Fantastic summation. Particularly liked the Dr Nick reference.

ger121
04/05/2015, 11:43 AM

And Wicklow...

nigel-harps1954
08/05/2015, 10:01 PM
Roddy popped into Finn Park tonight to remind Harps they shouldn't be in the league.

https://scontent-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/11010969_742853875836151_8959791971141846118_n.jpg ?oh=56daa4ecede4582e675e33e5c58af96c&oe=55CF1054

dong
08/05/2015, 10:52 PM
brilliant!

Nesta99
09/05/2015, 12:02 AM
Where's the real slim Roddy?

outspoken
09/05/2015, 10:30 AM
Surprised this isn't already online but the Irish star has a story up saying Roddy will take over managing Waterford United on Monday. Huge story if true.

nigel-harps1954
09/05/2015, 11:05 AM
It's only a pity it wasn't a few days earlier.

Longfordian
09/05/2015, 11:28 AM
Two and a half year deal apparently! Madness.