Finn Harps V Longford

Ezeikial
12/06/2014, 4:23 PM
Dundalk V Pats previews

Dundalk website:

http://www.dundalkfc.com/st-pats-preview/

St Pats website:

http://www.stpatsfc.com/news.php?id=6227#.U5nTGvldX_E

I think Liam Buckley is a very sound person who generally talks a lot of sense, but this is a strange one...

The meetings between us recently have been really tight and competitive games, so I’d see no reason why it won’t be exactly the same again to be honest.”

Maybe he has airbrushed from his memory the 4-1 hiding in Richmond Park from earlier in the season?

PartySaint
12/06/2014, 4:34 PM

Maybe he has airbrushed from his memory the 4-1 hiding in Richmond Park from earlier in the season?

Besides that most games between us lately have been tight affairs and even that was close until we had a man sent off.

I know we've talked about this game already in the attendance thread, I'm really looking forward to it, I'd take a draw with us missing Hoare and probably Ger O'Brien.

Bolger should be brought back in IMO for this game but he wont be. Dundalk guaranteed to score at least 1 so hopefully we can match them.

It will be a cracker.

jinxy lilywhite
12/06/2014, 5:41 PM
Can't wait for this game either. I hope for a great game of footy between two good teams and a lot of bite.

Pats are the galacticos and are the team to beat. Hopefully we can beat them or draw. I wouldn't like to go in to the break after a defeat

nigel-harps1954
12/06/2014, 5:56 PM
Attendances will likely be very badly hit tomorrow night with Spain v Netherlands on at the same time. Pity games couldn't have been moved to 3pm Saturday or something, but hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Overthemoon
12/06/2014, 7:10 PM
You can always record the WC, live footie is live footie, nowhere I'd rather be than watching a live game! It might effect barstoolers but do we care? Should be a great game in Oriel, two footballing teams, passionate crowd, good weather - what more could you ask for?

Ezeikial
13/06/2014, 7:02 AM
Eagerly anticipating the Oriel Park showdown tonight.

Based on recent encounters I expect Pats to be very physical from the start. Previously Richie Towell has been targeted and Pats players appeared to take it in turns to dish out heavy challenges on him - 'rotational fouling' is how I have seen it described recently. There could be lots of cards tonight!

Both central defensive pairings are likely to be without key players. Readers of this forum will know that this will be of no concern to some Pats supporters as a player of "limited talent" at centre forward will hardly test the galacticos!

Hopefully it will be a cracking football match

PartySaint
13/06/2014, 9:28 AM

Based on recent encounters I expect Pats to be very physical from the start. Previously Richie Towell has been targeted and Pats players appeared to take it in turns to dish out heavy challenges on him - 'rotational fouling' is how I have seen it described recently. There could be lots of cards tonight!

Both central defensive pairings are likely to be without key players. Readers of this forum will know that this will be of no concern to some Pats supporters as a player of "limited talent" at centre forward will hardly test the galacticos!

It would have been fine if we had our good center halves playing but on of them (Oman) doesn't even have limited talent so it evens that battle up.

Towell was certainly targeted in our 2-0 win in Richmond at the end of last season and I hope he is again tonight.

Mr A
13/06/2014, 9:49 AM
The galacticos thing makes me laugh every time.

CityRebel
13/06/2014, 10:28 AM

How dare you! Pat's aren't a physical team at all, they are bastions of Total Football.

It would have been fine if we had our good center halves playing but on of them (Oman) doesn't even have limited talent so it evens that battle up.

Towell was certainly targeted in our 2-0 win in Richmond at the end of last season and I hope he is again tonight.
Hahaha, for all the rubbish Pats fans have written about other teams being physical against them, here you are advocating targeting Richie Towell. Comedy gold Partyboy.

PartySaint
13/06/2014, 10:31 AM
How dare you! Pat's aren't a physical team at all, they are bastions of Total Football.

Hahaha, for all the rubbish Pats fans have written about other teams being physical against them, here you are advocating targeting Richie Towell. Comedy gold Partyboy.

As long as it helps Pats win I don't care and unlike Cork fans I don't get upset about what others think about us.

I look forward to your report on your game tonight that you probably wont be at.

CityRebel
13/06/2014, 10:32 AM
As long as it helps Pats win I don't care and unlike Cork fans I don't get upset about what others think about us.

I look forward to your report on your game tonight that you probably wont be at.

http://www.donttreadonusblog.com/uploads/1/7/7/0/17701085/811820405.jpg

PartySaint
13/06/2014, 10:39 AM
http://www.donttreadonusblog.com/uploads/1/7/7/0/17701085/811820405.jpg

You've filed your match report early I see.

desaintsno.12
13/06/2014, 10:41 AM
for all the rubbish Pats fans have written about other teams being physical against them, here you are advocating targeting Richie Towell. Comedy gold Partyboy.

So , becasue he says that he is happy for Towell to be targeted means its not possible that other teams ( Cork ) were overly physical on us in two games ? this is your argument ?
cop yourself on mate.

Pablo Escobar
13/06/2014, 10:44 AM
Anyway kids, can we talk about football?

We have a poor record in Tallaght. A draw would be a good result for us. If we keep picking up points, we won't be far behind at the end.

desaintsno.12
13/06/2014, 10:57 AM
Anyway kids, can we talk about football?

We have a poor record in Tallaght. A draw would be a good result for us. If we keep picking up points, we won't be far behind at the end.

i would also like to see a you get a point :)
whats your away form like ?

Yossarian
13/06/2014, 11:21 AM
While the systematic fouling of Towell is annoying from our point of view, I really don't see why opposition teams wouldn't do this. To win a game you try to accentuate your own strengths and nullify the oppositions. I hope Killian Brennan plays tonight and gets a bit of needle from us and gets himself sent off. He has form for it.
Should be a good game though and while I think we have enough to win the game I think it's more important that we don't lose.

White Horse
13/06/2014, 11:23 AM

Nothing wrong with man-marking a certain player. Though I do recall a number of very physical challenges on Towell in that game. It is a risky tactic as Pats found out when Bolger was sent off in the 4-1 defeat to Dundalk earlier this season.

Playing undue attention to Towell will provide Horgan, Meenan, and Mountney with lots of space to exploit.

PartySaint
13/06/2014, 11:37 AM
Nothing wrong with man-marking a certain player. Though I do recall a number of very physical challenges on Towell in that game. It is a risky tactic as Pats found out when Bolger was sent off in the 4-1 defeat to Dundalk earlier this season.

Playing undue attention to Towell will provide Horgan, Meenan, and Mountney with lots of space to exploit.

The problem tonight will be that Bolger wont be playing so we don't have a defensive midfielder to get close to Towell, you will create loads of chances tonight because our midfield doesn't protect our back 4 as well as last season

Mr A
13/06/2014, 12:45 PM
So if the Pats players target him throughout would it be fair to say that those froods really know were their Towell is?

oriel
13/06/2014, 1:28 PM
If I was a Pats fan I'd be disappointed with Bolger not starting tonight. Has Fahey disrupted the formation of the MF a little I wonder?

Looking forward to the match, pleased to note the WC game doesnt appear to be taking any interest away locally from the game, we'll see later how many turn up. Should be a tight game this time, but I would still be confident of us winning even without Boyle and Hoban.

Conroy
13/06/2014, 6:52 PM
Biggest crowd of the season in Oriel Park tonight.

GCdfc
13/06/2014, 8:14 PM
3135 in oriel

pineapple stu
13/06/2014, 8:42 PM
Athlone 6-0 Drogheda.

Remember Drogheda beat Dundalk 4-1 on the opening day.

Is it hyperbolic to describe that as one of the most amazing couple of results in loi history? An incredible collapse.

Sam_Heggy
13/06/2014, 8:44 PM
Has extratime.ie stopped doing proper updates now?

Poor effort tonight.

Straightstory
13/06/2014, 9:14 PM
Just watched Holland beat Spain 5-1 and now I see Athlone have beaten Drogs 6-0. All very surreal. Maybe it's all a dream.

Pablo Escobar
13/06/2014, 9:25 PM
The 2 bottom teams won 5 and 6 nil. It's a bit surreal alright.

SeanDrog
13/06/2014, 9:25 PM
Yep the drogs results are surreal - big defeats vs pats/dun you could explain away as big team vs small team but Athlone and limerick defeats (score lines )!

I can't believe any squad of players can leak so many goals off the back of a decent first series of games.

At the start of the season our defense was shakey but we still got results but instead of improving our defence has collasped.

I can't see how Horgan can stay on.

ATFC-1887
13/06/2014, 9:26 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbsuAbTTsV8

Pablo Escobar
13/06/2014, 9:32 PM
It's not out of the question. Athlone looked strong in Turners Cross. Another 2 wins and you're right back in it.

MeathDrog
13/06/2014, 9:35 PM
FAO Horgan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ul3kKRRy6jI

White Horse
13/06/2014, 9:44 PM
Fair result in Oriel Park tonight. Dundalk bossed the midfield but St. Pats back four were immense. Dundalk's two front players, McMillen and Byrne, didn't get into the game so it was difficult to convert possession into scoring chances.

Way more than 3,100 at it.

Charlie Darwin
13/06/2014, 9:47 PM
I called it a few days back (can't remember if I posted it) but Athlone will finish ahead of Drogs, just.

Fair play to Cork, deserved winners in Tallaght and, had they held their nerve in the second half, I think they could have had it wrapped up a lot earlier. Rovers don't even look a sum of their parts anymore and the parts weren't really that good to begin with. Croly bringing Dean Kelly on and leaving Sheppard on the bench is a joke, crap as Shep has been.

ATFC-1887
13/06/2014, 9:50 PM
Drogs fan went mental. Tried to attack the dressing rooms at half time, and had a mini riot at the end of the game. Charging to the technical area and had scuffles with the guards and stewards. Wouldnt get onto their buses at the end either. Craziest match iv been to.

KeepersBall
13/06/2014, 9:53 PM
Yep the drogs results are surreal - big defeats vs pats/dun you could explain away as big team vs small team but Athlone and limerick defeats (score lines )!

I can't believe any squad of players can leak so many goals off the back of a decent first series of games.

At the start of the season our defense was shakey but we still got results but instead of improving our defence has collasped.

I can't see how Horgan can stay on.He can't.
And the board who appointed him has to walk as well.
After the way they shafted Cooke who's going to want to work with them.

Dunny
13/06/2014, 9:53 PM
Pats went to Oriel looking for a point,got it,boom,job done.
Determined not to get beat and just when it looked we could do them(oman s/o) McMillan delivers a Mickey Flynn.Needs a fine for being so daft the apeth

White Horse
13/06/2014, 9:54 PM
Drogs fan went mental. Tried to attack the dressing rooms at half time, and had a mini riot at the end of the game. Charging to the technical area and had scuffles with the guards and stewards. Wouldnt get onto their buses at the end either. Craziest match iv been to.

They are just sheep. They stood by while their Board sacked their best ever manager and put a plonker in charge.

cobhlad
Cobh drew with First Division leaders Shelbourne 2-2. Great performance and they could have won it. Ron Stanton and Rob Waters were excellent. Things finally starting to turn around down here. Few new signings and the second half of the season could be a lot better

Dunny

Nice guys.Wonder if Windymill Warrior was involved?

White Horse
13/06/2014, 9:55 PM
Pats went to Oriel looking for a point,got it,boom,job done.
Determined not to get beat and just when it looked we could do them(oman s/o) McMillan delivers a Mickey Flynn.Needs a fine for being so daft the apeth

I saw the video footage after the game. I'd hold off on criticising McMillan until you see it.

Dunny
13/06/2014, 9:56 PM
I saw the video footage after the game. I'd hold off on criticising McMillan until you see it.
Fair enough.I wasn't aware that a vid was available.

NeverFeltBetter
13/06/2014, 9:58 PM
Wow. Sounds mental.

Charlie Darwin
13/06/2014, 9:59 PM
Nice guys.Wonder if Windymill Warrior was involved?
Roddy was waiting in the car.

Yossarian
13/06/2014, 10:00 PM

Whatever about Foran making a meal if it, McMillan had no need to go up to him after the free was awarded. He should have just walked away but his stupidity cost us. Considering Hoban is injured he really blew his chance of nailing down the front spot.
That was some De Jong effort by Oman. He couldn't complain about the red.
The draw was a fair result overall. We bossed a lot of the game but didn't create many clear chances.
Very good crowd at it considering the World Cup game that was on.

Louth4sam
13/06/2014, 10:11 PM

I seen it in real time. Foran dived twice holding his face. The first time when McMillan raised his foot, he got up and McMillan put his hand on his shoulder and he went down again. Wasn't even a booking never mind a red. Absolute cheat.

As for the rest of the game. Pats came for the draw and got it. Dundalk didn't get close to braking them down and draw was definitely a fair result. Was our toughest game of the season and badly missed Hoban's physicality up front.

White Horse
13/06/2014, 10:12 PM
I seen it in real time. Foran dived twice holding his face. The first time when McMillan raised his foot, he got up and McMillan put his hand on his shoulder and he went down again. Wasn't even a booking never mind a red. Absolute cheat.

On the basis of what I saw, I expect McMillan's red card to be rescinded and Foran to get a lengthy ban.

nigel-harps1954
13/06/2014, 10:24 PM
Most desperately poor game in Finn Park in years tonight. Longford were absolutely shocking, Harps were worse. To think, I missed Holland hammering Spain to watch that..

Charlie Darwin
13/06/2014, 10:29 PM
On the basis of what I saw, I expect McMillan's red card to be rescinded and Foran to get a lengthy ban.
Has anybody ever been banned for pretending to be injured? Not to my recollection. Alan Keane would still be banned if that were the case.

oriel
13/06/2014, 10:55 PM
Biggest crowd of the season in Oriel Park tonight.

Not quite although it looked it, 3,135 was a little lower than the visit of Rovers on Good Fri (3,364), decent away support as mentioned on attendances thread.

Thought it was a nervy performance by both sides, good game to watch, totally fair result. Our lead has been obviously cut by Cork's impressive win, but we keep a 6 point gap with Pats.

Still fairly open league to be fair, Rovers might fall away a little but Pats won't be too far off judging by tonight and Cork are full of confidence.

I'll be happier when we get Boyle and Hoban back, but overall where we are, and performances to date, it's been an excellent first half of the season for us.

PartySaint
13/06/2014, 10:58 PM
Dundalk controlled the game tonight but no real chances were created by either side (maybe 1 each in the first half)

I'm happy with the draw I would have taken that before the game.

Pure stupidity from McMillian to get sent off, it was such a nothing incident he should have just walked away.