PDA

View Full Version : Irish Football Blog

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

Stuttgart88
11/09/2013, 9:15 AM
Not only did he not beat the first man with one kick, it bounced before the first man!

Junior
11/09/2013, 10:06 AM
Yeah, when he stepped up to take it, I turned to my dad and said "straight in to the wall, watch"

Compare to Alaba's corners (I know he was the stand out player on the park but still) whipped in, middle of the goal, between the 6yard box and penalty spot. It should be as simple as that. Like doing lines at school, stay behind after training, hit a 100 corners each day until you are hitting the spot in your sleep.

When you are garbage in open play like we have been for such a long time now, then the one saving grace is you will score from a set piece, our set pieces are largely garbage, lacking invention or accuracy.

shakermaker1982
11/09/2013, 10:18 AM
The Captain or manager should be making sure McClean is nowhere near a set piece. He couldn't cross a road, never mind a bloody ball.

tricky_colour
12/09/2013, 2:16 AM
Not only did he not beat the first man with one kick, it bounced before the first man!

OK It did get past the first wall but it was a total waste, it was chipped over them into another line of Austrian defenders.
Furthermore it was the wrong kick for a left footer, it needed a right footed bending it in, as it was it would be almost impossible to
head it in as it would be coming from the back of an attacking players head.

I really have no idea what they were trying to do, it just looked shambolic.

I think the players had given it up as a lost cause by now I suppose.

They really need a new manager in to bring in some new ideas.

Drumcondra 69er
12/09/2013, 9:09 PM
Blog on Austria game and trip if anyone's interested.....

http://afalsefirstxi.blogspot.ie/2013/09/its-goodnight-vienna-as-trap-door-opens.html

Drumcondra 69er
19/09/2013, 6:52 PM
Latest blog on Trap era and possible successors. Bit of a long piece, was a ******* to finish!

http://afalsefirstxi.blogspot.ie/2013/09/trap-finally-gets-sprung.html

Junior
19/09/2013, 7:12 PM
I suppose I better read it then seeing as you've posted it in 3 threads!!:D

Drumcondra 69er
19/09/2013, 7:49 PM
I suppose I better read it then seeing as you've posted it in 3 threads!!:D

Just making sure anyone interested doesn't miss it! ;)

geysir
19/09/2013, 8:52 PM
It better be worth reading, after that 3 dimensional plug.

Drumcondra 69er
19/09/2013, 9:14 PM
It better be worth reading, after that 3 dimensional plug.

To quote his predecessor. You tell me. ;)

geysir
19/09/2013, 9:26 PM
I have just read it and I'll give it a modest 9.5/10.
Just below your previous established gold standard.
I don't know what accounted for the marginal slip in form. I suspect it had to do with the sheer breadth of the topics over a 6 year timespan, ending with the prospective new managers review.

On Bielsa, he doesn't speak English, the key question to his candidacy is, does Manuela speak Spanish?

Drumcondra 69er
19/09/2013, 9:39 PM
I have just read it and I'll give it a modest 9.5/10.
Just below your previous established gold standard.
I don't know what accounted for the marginal slip in form. I suspect it had to do with the sheer breadth of the topics over a 6 year timespan, ending with the prospective new managers review.

On Bielsa, he doesn't speak English, the key question to his candidacy is, does Manuela speak Spanish?

Ah, you've smoked out my real reason for wanting him appointed!

Junior
19/09/2013, 10:30 PM
Decent read. Good point about Robertson coming in with MON. Steve Walford was also a key member of that backroom staff (certainly at Celtic and Leicester anyway and I think he was at Sunderland with him also).

Interesting table on the records of former managers too. Like you say McCarthy's and Traps records are fairly comparable except for the Goals Scored column. McCarthys teams scored 31 more goals in just 4 more games. If we had just a fractionally more potent strike force under Trap then this last campaign may have been just a little different.

paul_oshea
19/09/2013, 10:43 PM
But junior that's the whole thing about traps reign it wasn't down to an individual even with a Rooney in there we were just not setup and told to play in a way that could produce goals.traps motto was don't concede. That was it. We had nothing else. And then in the end we didn't even have that.

I remember sitting there watching the Austria game in the stands and its the first time in a long time that I wasn't nervous or anxious or worried it had a certain air of imevitability. I was almost glad when the result came cos I knew it meant the end of trap. We were totally out of ideas or any imagination under trap for well over a year and a half now. His goose was cooked and I'm not sure he really cared.

Contrast to how we looked 4 or so years ago against Bulgaria away. it says it all really.

geysir
19/09/2013, 10:56 PM
Decent read. Good point about Robertson coming in with MON. Steve Walford was also a key member of that backroom staff (certainly at Celtic and Leicester anyway and I think he was at Sunderland with him also).
The talk is (I forget where I heard it) that Walford is past it - a fancy for archaic coaching methods and Robertson is definitely not interested in coming back into the game.

Crosby87
19/09/2013, 10:58 PM
Did you at least get some good Weinerschnitzel Posh?

Stuttgart88
20/09/2013, 6:47 AM
I didn't realise Alan Kelly senior's record was so good!

I've been thinking about MONs back up team too and would like to think the requirement of this job would negate the need for Walford /Robertson. I'd love to see people like Cunningham, Kilbane, Kinsella, Breen etc as part of any set up.

Assuming they can coach of course!

Drumcondra 69er
20/09/2013, 6:56 AM
The talk is (I forget where I heard it) that Walford is past it - a fancy for archaic coaching methods and Robertson is definitely not interested in coming back into the game.

Am assuming that Robertson won't want to go back day to day due to his illness but that the part time nature plus staying based where he is could swing it.

Like Stutts, I'd be happy to see some recent ex players involved but I think O'Neill needs someone of his vintage there to bounce off...

paul_oshea
20/09/2013, 9:37 AM
Did you at least get some good Weinerschnitzel Posh?

Genau. Immer Wieder.

Stuttgart88
20/09/2013, 10:56 AM
But junior that's the whole thing about traps reign it wasn't down to an individual even with a Rooney in there we were just not setup and told to play in a way that could produce goals.traps motto was don't concede. That was it. We had nothing else. And then in the end we didn't even have that.

I remember sitting there watching the Austria game in the stands and its the first time in a long time that I wasn't nervous or anxious or worried it had a certain air of imevitability. I was almost glad when the result came cos I knew it meant the end of trap. We were totally out of ideas or any imagination under trap for well over a year and a half now. His goose was cooked and I'm not sure he really cared.

Contrast to how we looked 4 or so years ago against Bulgaria away. it says it all really.I thought we were comfortable and looking like nicking it for the best part of 60 minutes. When they made their telling change, we did nothing. Like with like, as usual. Set pieces rubbish, as usual.

paul_oshea
20/09/2013, 11:20 AM
I think the end of the sweden game showed it. The players looked out of ideas, tired and almost bored, certainly toothless and frustrated. I think deep down they had enough of the tactics themselves. Hit and hope.

Drumcondra 69er
20/09/2013, 11:26 AM
I think the end of the sweden game showed it. The players looked out of ideas, tired and almost bored, certainly toothless and frustrated. I think deep down they had enough of the tactics themselves. Hit and hope.

Personally think the last 20 minutes of the Austria home game did it. Had them well under the cosh around the hour mark, corner after corner, they were there for the taking but the subs and tactics were so negative and boom, 2 points dropped.

Stuttgart88
20/09/2013, 11:26 AM
I think the end of the sweden game showed it. The players looked out of ideas, tired and almost bored, certainly toothless and frustrated. I think deep down they had enough of the tactics themselves. Hit and hope.I agree but you were talking about Austria!

paul_oshea
20/09/2013, 12:40 PM
Personally think the last 20 minutes of the Austria home game did it. Had them well under the cosh around the hour mark, corner after corner, they were there for the taking but the subs and tactics were so negative and boom, 2 points dropped.

You had to go and remind me of that again!! That was definitely the turning point. It changed the context of the group completely. We could have drawn both the last games and still be in contention, but by drawing it put too much pressure on us needing to win our first game against Sweden. We might have found it easier to actually get the win against Sweden had that been the case.

Stuttgart88
20/09/2013, 12:54 PM
As the games turned out, I think all 4 of the games against Sweden and Austria were winnable. Not on paper, but as the actual games played out.

Instead we got 2 draws.

There was probably a lack of leadership on the pitch and a lack of killer instinct. This is intertwined with the lack of a winning habit in these games. We regularly failed to win such games under Trap and his "definitely don't lose, maybe win" ethos largely contributed to this.

For years I've been noticing Sweden win games like Ireland away.

In fairness the "draw away" mantra has dogged us since way before Trap, but at least we used to win home games.

paul_oshea
20/09/2013, 1:41 PM
We didnt do, we never really won the home games against teams like Sweden or even Austria. Thats the point, trap changed nothing on that front.

This is more fairytale revisionism(not at you stutts). Whoever we beat away we generally beat at home, whoever we drew away with, we drew at home with also. The difference being our results were better than theirs were against the other teams. We lost twice when before we would have drawn - home v sweden, away v austria and this time it would have us trailing sweden by a couple of points.

Had we sweden and austria in traps first or even second group the outcome i imagine would have been very similar.

tetsujin1979
20/09/2013, 1:56 PM
Had we sweden and austria in traps first or even second group the outcome i imagine would have been very similar.
and if my auntie had balls, I'd imagine that would make her my uncle

Drumcondra 69er
20/09/2013, 2:53 PM

If she was in midfield and Trap was boss them balls would probably be flying over her head......

paul_oshea
20/09/2013, 3:35 PM

Thats about the 100th time you have said that on this forum. She would most likely be a transsexual but so it would purely be up to you what you called her. At any rate they would be articificial testicles.

Stuttgart88
20/09/2013, 6:18 PM
We didnt do, we never really won the home games against teams like Sweden or even Austria. Thats the point, trap changed nothing on that front.

This is more fairytale revisionism(not at you stutts). Whoever we beat away we generally beat at home, whoever we drew away with, we drew at home with also.
I don't think that's true. For over a decade we'd turn up knowing we had a half decent shout at beating a no. 1, 2 or 3 seed. But even in those campaigns like Stan and Kerr's' we'd be competitive at home and drawing was not for won't of giving it a go (Swiss home game excepted probably). Stu posted the competitive home statistics. Traps home record was poor.

paul_oshea
20/09/2013, 6:25 PM
OK can someone actually post up the records for home and away games over the last 13 years against 2nd or 3rd seeds.

tetsujin1979
20/09/2013, 8:55 PM
Thats about the 100th time you have said that on this forum. She would most likely be a transsexual but so it would purely be up to you what you called her. At any rate they would be articificial testicles.
actually it's the seventh, maybe think about the point I was making?

tetsujin1979
20/09/2013, 9:27 PM
OK can someone actually post up the records for home and away games over the last 13 years against 2nd or 3rd seeds.
here you go

Date Home Score Away(ranking)
2-Sep-2000 Netherlands 2-2 Republic of Ireland
7-Oct-2000 Portugal 1-1 Republic of Ireland
2-Jun-2001 Republic of Ireland 1-1 Portugal
1-Sep-2001 Republic of Ireland 1-0 Netherlands
7-Sep-2002 Russia 4-2 Republic of Ireland
16-Oct-2002 Republic of Ireland 1-2 Switzerland
6-Sep-2003 Republic of Ireland 1-1 Russia
11-Oct-2003 Switzerland 2-0 Republic of Ireland
8-Sep-2004 Switzerland 1-1 Republic of Ireland
9-Oct-2004 France 0-0 Republic of Ireland
7-Sep-2005 Republic of Ireland 0-1 France
12-Oct-2005 Republic of Ireland 0-0 Switzerland
2-Sep-2006 Germany 1-0 Republic of Ireland
11-Oct-2006 Republic of Ireland 1-1 Czech Republic
12-Sep-2007 Czech Republic 1-0 Republic of Ireland
13-Oct-2007 Republic of Ireland 0-0 Germany
28-Mar-2009 Republic of Ireland 1-1 Bulgaria
1-Apr-2009 Italy 1-1 Republic of Ireland
6-Jun-2009 Bulgaria 1-1 Republic of Ireland
10-Oct-2009 Republic of Ireland 2-2 Italy
8-Oct-2010 Republic of Ireland 2-3 Russia
12-Oct-2010 Slovakia 1-1 Republic of Ireland
2-Sep-2011 Republic of Ireland 0-0 Slovakia
6-Sep-2011 Russia 0-0 Republic of Ireland
12-Oct-2012 Republic of Ireland 1-6 Germany
22-Mar-2013 Sweden 0-0 Republic of Ireland
6-Sep-2013 Republic of Ireland 1-2 Sweden

paul_oshea
21/09/2013, 11:28 AM
Fair play tets.

SO my reading of that is those teams that we drew away with around the 2nd or 3rd seeds we also drew at home.

The trap argument is that we just didn't lose any away from home, unlike The switzerland away loss and the czech republic away loss under kerr and staunton, the russia loss was with McCarthy in charge. But looking at those results we did still draw at home bar the switzerland loss under McCarthy.

Can we dismiss this, draw away win at home crap, cos it never happens. And when we say great away record, it means we just haven't lost.

geysir
21/09/2013, 2:03 PM
Fair play tets.
Can we dismiss this, draw away win at home crap, cos it never happens. And when we say great away record, it means we just haven't lost.
You're changing the claim.
The claim was that we performed worse at home under Trap than previous managers.
If we discount results against 6th seeds in Qual groups because not all groups had a 6th seed.
the results are
Trap p 11 W 4 D 4 L3 (ave 1.45 )
Stan p 5 W 2 d3 (ave 1.8)
Kerr P7 w3 d3 L1 (ave 1.714)

Mick's home record is better without checking

If we include play offs, Trap's ave comes down even more.

Stuttgart88
21/09/2013, 4:29 PM
Drawing at home against very superior Czechs and Germans when we lost away. That's doing better at home in my book. We beat Croatia and Yugoslavia at home too, under Mick. Lost away.

Paul, you were away when Stu posted the full competitive stats. I recommend you check it out. Trap's % of available away points was the highest of the last 5 managers. Trap's % of available home points was the worst. You can argue the nitty gritty about groups being of varying standard, but whereas we may not have got the good home wins under Kerr, for example, we never turned up at home just knowing it was going to be painful to watch and likely to be a painful outcome.

And whatever about whether we did actually win at home and draw away the doctrine was that that WAS what we were aiming for. I say we should go out to win every game and see what happens. If we're under pressure away then a draw is a good outcome. If we're the better team away a draw is a disappointing outcome.

Supreme feet
27/09/2013, 7:19 AM
My take on Austria/Trap/new manager. Coming two weeks after the Austria game, it's probably a bit late, but I've been caught up with a potential Mrs. Feet, and I haven't had the time or necessary bitterness/cynicism to evaluate the whole situation until today.

http://anditscomethroughhere.blogspot.kr/2013/09/into-great-beyond.html

ArdeeBhoy
27/09/2013, 7:22 AM
Hmm, fair play. Thanks.
And good luck with the other activities...
;)

Drumcondra 69er
04/11/2013, 9:27 PM
Multi posting this again for the benefit of anyone following specific threads!

http://afalsefirstxi.blogspot.ie/201...-edge.html?m=1

Blog on upcoming appointments for those interested....

Supreme feet
08/11/2013, 4:45 AM
http://anditscomethroughhere.blogspot.kr/2013/11/an-intriguing-appointment-but-not.html

Haven't much time to update the blog these days, but I managed to throw down a few words on the new appointment.

Drumcondra 69er
09/11/2013, 11:20 PM
Few of us were on Near Fm earlier today discussing this week's appointments if anyone wants a listen.

https://m.soundcloud.com/sportslocallive/ybig-chat-about-appointment-of

Supreme feet
19/11/2013, 5:54 AM
http://anditscomethroughhere.blogspot.kr/2013/11/ireland-vs-latvia-review.html

Thoughts on the Latvia game for anyone interested.

Drumcondra 69er
20/11/2013, 7:57 PM
Latest blog on the first two games here is anyone's interested.

http://afalsefirstxi.blogspot.ie/2013/11/evolution-not-revolution.html

Drumcondra 69er
27/02/2014, 7:42 PM
Latest blog with some thoughts on the draw for those interested.....

http://afalsefirstxi.blogspot.ie/2014/02/friends-reunited.html

Drumcondra 69er
13/03/2014, 11:51 AM
Piece I did for the official Bohs site to try and encourage people to bring someone with them to Dalyer this Friday if anyone's interested in a read. Bit of a re-working of a blog I did about Tony Grealish's passing last year but with a different angle.

http://bohemianfc.com/?page_id=5969

Stuttgart88
13/03/2014, 11:55 AM
Very good. I was hoping to take my little fella to Tallaght when we're home at Easter but Rovers are away. I thought they were due to play Bohs on Good Friday but I misread the fixtures. Really disappointed.

Drumcondra 69er
10/09/2014, 9:48 PM
http://afalsefirstxi.blogspot.ie/2014/09/georgia-off-our-minds.html

Blog on Sunday's game if anyone interested......

geysir
10/09/2014, 10:36 PM
That was a very good read Drums, very well written and expressed. Well done.

Stuttgart88
11/09/2014, 7:58 AM
Yes, a much better read than the table above in post 83.

geysir
11/09/2014, 8:51 AM
Is that what they call, damning with faint praise?