PDA

View Full Version : Who's Gonna Win FAI Junior Cup 2004/05

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

CousinSylDolan
23/12/2004, 8:43 AM
I fancy Park Rangers to go a long way this year. They have got an easy enough draw so far (apart from the 'Boro of course) and I will put my life on them beating that lot from Sligo!!!!!!! I think they will be hard beat and it will take someone like Pike, Killester or Peake Villa to beat them.........

inexile
23/12/2004, 9:00 AM
well park have already beaten pike in the league this season and have drawn with the boro 3 times so i think they are stronger than most people give them credit for

CousinSylDolan
23/12/2004, 9:14 AM
I agree... They have made some nice additions this year (Shane O'Connor, Darren Whelan, Karl Scott) and their team spirit seems to be excellent (for once).

I'm not saying they are going to win it but it will take a good team to beat them I feel and Dicey Riley's are certainly not that.....

inexile
23/12/2004, 10:11 AM
to be fair cousin they arent technically great, they battle hard and never give up but i do think you will find that a lot of limerick want them to be beaten cos they are one of the most hated bunch of players around,you have to give them credit as a team and a club but as players i just cant warm to any of them except phil purcell

Supersub
23/12/2004, 10:28 AM
I have seen them play quite a few times this season including two of the games against the 'Boro and the Pike game and I have been impressed with the quality of players they have.

It is easier to dismiss them as they are from "Clare" and shouldn't be in the Limerick League but they have improved over the past few seasons and are a team that have earned respect of big clubs in league.

If my information is correct I believe that Balla are the only team to beat them this season(apart from Boro on pens in MJC) and according to a few of the Balla lads they got hammered for the entire game before getting two late(lucky)goals ....

In Jamie Cullen they have one of the most under rated players in the league. I believe that Pike , 'Boro ad indeed the 'View made approaches to him in the summer !!!!

Again with a bit of luck they could go a long way and I fancy them to be the last team from Limerick competing in this years FAI !!!

inexile
23/12/2004, 10:37 AM
i dunno if you meant me supersub but i am not dismissing them cos they are from clare they do have some very fine players jamie cullen included but he is no robbie kelleher,jason o connor or martin o neill and when he plays in midfield he is no tommy barrett,brian lawlor, alan o keefe or dave o grady he is a key player for park but that is about his level which kinda proves my point about park not being technically great but great battlers which could see them go a long way but not all the way

clownboy
23/12/2004, 10:43 AM
Anytime that i have seen them play they have played very good football and i think they will hopefully anyway go a long way best of luck to them and all the LDMC teams left...It would be nice to see it stay in Limerick

inexile
23/12/2004, 10:50 AM
i agree entirely clownboy it would be great to see it stay in limerick i just cant see it going to park, id love to see carew pk go all the way for such an "unfashionable" club they have a strong side and id like to see them do well thats if pike dont win it, it would be some crack to see a southill final carew vs pike

clownboy
23/12/2004, 11:04 AM
Ya that would be nice ...I cant see it happening though ...I think Pike will beat Ballymun alright ...great to get a home draw..If Balla get over Micahels they could go a long way...I am backing Killester to win it though with Michaels and Crystal following closely behind...but i really do hope that an Ldmc team win it

Supersub
23/12/2004, 11:10 AM
i dunno if you meant me supersub but i am not dismissing them cos they are from clare they do have some very fine players jamie cullen included but he is no robbie kelleher,jason o connor or martin o neill and when he plays in midfield he is no tommy barrett,brian lawlor, alan o keefe or dave o grady he is a key player for park but that is about his level which kinda proves my point about park not being technically great but great battlers which could see them go a long way but not all the way

Didn't mean you , just a general observation. I would have him in my team(in midfield) b4 Lawlor , O'Keefe(better striker) or indeed DOG(I have seen him a few times and has been anonymous in most of games) so maybe it is just as well I am not in management!! . Tommy Barrett would be the exception as I have not seen as much of him as the rest ....

Agree they are not the finished article but they do not get the credit they deserve.

I suppose we will have to wait and see but as with the rest of the posts I do hope that it is a Limerick team that brings home the cup(again!!!)

dasher
23/12/2004, 11:55 AM
Ya that would be nice ...I cant see it happening though ...I think Pike will beat Ballymun alright ...great to get a home draw..If Balla get over Micahels they could go a long way...I am backing Killester to win it though with Michaels and Crystal following closely behind...but i really do hope that an Ldmc team win it

What do ye know of this killester team then, apart from them winning prem a last year. any individuals to look out for etc.

Spongey
27/12/2004, 4:42 AM
As a limerick man living in Sligo i was delighted to hear a limerick team (should i say clare team) coming to sligo. Park should have no problems as i've diceys play and i've no idea how they are still there. Bottom of the 3rd division in sligo and reputedly known as a pub team. I'll eat my own hat if park dont get through. As for others, carew park have it tough in ballinasloe. Not sure about rest

sligo1
27/12/2004, 1:08 PM
Morning Everyboby - I hope you all had a nice and peacefull Christmas.
Dicey Reillys are bottom of the 3rd Div(4 Divs) and are really no better than a Pub team.Most of their players work or drink in the pub.They have one ok player but he looks like making the Sligo Gaelic team and therefore wont be available for the Park game.Overall Diceys seem to be out of their depth in this tie.But then again, it is a cup tie, a once off,it has to be settled on the day and what are the odds of the under dog wining this.

So all you lads in Limerick, are Park Rangers as good as you all make them out to be, will it be a cricket score or have Diceys any chance at all?

On another front, are there any odds for the competition and who are the favourities?

Supersub
29/12/2004, 3:08 PM
Park are not a bad side(who , as I have said in earlier posts I fancy to go well with a bit of luck!!) but in pure footballing terms would be considered , with the exception of Granville , the weakest of the LDMC teams left in the comp.

Balla and Pike have won major trophies over the past couple of seasons and Carew have also got a very experienced squad of players who have performed excellenty of the years together.

Park have won nothing and have always flattered to decieve. Will this year be any different ????? You can mke up your own mind if you go to the match in Sligo!!
I do not know the actual betting but I am sure the bookies will give you odds on the Outright Winners ! Let us know if you find out !!

backodanet
30/12/2004, 11:01 AM
heard yesterday that carrick are back in and ballymun are out

dasher
05/01/2005, 8:39 AM
Its Official,
Stated on the ballymun guestbook.
Bath Rangers have won the protest although ballymun say they will appeal.
Interesting reading though..according to ballymun they broke a rule that isnt even stated in the rule book yet it states that if a player is sent off they automatically miss the next match, why didn't this apply to pike.

inexile
05/01/2005, 11:22 AM
it didnt apply to pike because the club has to receive written confirmation about any suspension and because they played the week immediately after they hadnt received any notification

dasher
05/01/2005, 11:38 AM
makes no sense to state that rule then does it.

inexile
05/01/2005, 11:57 AM
well it does and it doesnt it was just pike got lucky that they had to play the week after, if it was even 2 weeks later they wouldnt have played

Supersub
05/01/2005, 9:44 PM
Bottom line is that Pike played by the rules and Ballymun have not. That is a big break for Pike and one of those things that might lead you to believe that it could be their year.

Home tie against Bath and a place in the last 16 beckons !!!! :rolleyes:

cmcshane
06/01/2005, 8:23 AM
I know St.Cormac's are a young side from the Wexford League Premier division who are flying at the moment. They're unbeaten in all competitions all year and have only drawn one game winning their other 14. Still Killester will be a very stiff challenge, any team that can win a division including Portmarnock and Ballymun like they did last year are bound to be strong......

CousinSylDolan
06/01/2005, 10:27 AM
Killester are a decent side. Away from home they are vulnerable but in the AUL they will be tough to beat.

Pike could be waiting a few weeks so for an opponent as this carry on in Dublin looks like it will continue for a few weeks. Pike are on a decent run too so I would expect they will want to play asap.

It will suit Park to get Dicey's over and done with Sunday week and be in the last 16 nice and early. With some of the handy draws Park have got so far (bar 'Boro) you would expect them to continue and get places for once.

Bridge Celtic and Park Rangers could be 2 Clare teams in the last 16... Who knows.... :p :p :p :p :p

The Gaffer
07/01/2005, 7:58 AM
Can anyone tell me anything about Waterford Crystal. I know they reached the final a number of years ago but how are they doing since?

joeSoap
07/01/2005, 11:32 AM
I just spoke to someone at the FAI and the official line as regards Ballymun and Carrick Utd are as follows:

Ballymun have been removed from the competition, and have until today to post off an official appeal to this. If they appeal, it gets heard on Tuesday.

Carrick failed to lodge an appeal in time with the FAI as to Waterford Crystals illegal player, but are still officially protesting against it.

Both issues will be resolved by Tuesday next.

The Gaffer
10/01/2005, 2:07 PM
I believe East End Utd have now put in an objection against Waterford Crystal. Why are beaten teams so bitter, why can't they just get on with it!

Black stripe
10/01/2005, 3:07 PM
I believe East End Utd have now put in an objection against Waterford Crystal. Why are beaten teams so bitter, why can't they just get on with it!

Did people say that about the View when they were reinstated & won the competition last year........no & rightly so as if people can't abide by the rules they shouldn't be in the competition

The Gaffer
10/01/2005, 3:32 PM
I have a mate in Waterford and he told me Crystal are not breaking any rules! He also told me he heard that if Crystal are deemed ok to play the next round against against Granville, Granville are waiting to object also

Black stripe
12/01/2005, 10:43 AM
Granville will be easy pickings for any team of above average standard.
I fancy Pike to win the competition this year

The Gaffer
13/01/2005, 7:03 AM
pike dont have the depth in the squad to win it theyll be out of it im the next round the fai wont be on the shannonside this year people

So what are your perdictions poacher

Supersub
13/01/2005, 9:25 AM
Of the four local teams in action this weekend I would expect that half of them will go through. The general consensus is that Granville have got their work cut out for them to beat WC.

Park seem to have got the easiest of the draws although they have a long way to travel for the game.

I think that last week will have taken a lot out of Balla but they will have enough to go through , just!

I think Carew are the team that will suffer the shock exit this weekend. By all accounts Ballinasloe are no mugs and they might just catch Carew on the hop this weekend.

You would have to fancy Pike at home to Bath Rgrs when(if) they meet and that would mean 3 local teams in the last 16!!(if my predictions are correct)

What do the rest of ye think ???

clownboy
13/01/2005, 9:29 AM
I would go along with that although i think Granville will put up a good fight especially if there home pitch is playable ..If they play it in the Pike or The Fairgreen the could be over ran

Supersub
13/01/2005, 10:24 AM
Agree about Granville Clownboy. Think that they will put it up to WC but at the end of the day I would think the the visitors will have too much for them. I am sure they would swap defeat on Sunday for promotion if you offered it to them today!!!!

I hope that we have all 5 teams through to the last 16 but I think that we will have a couple of "fallers" in this round. I look forward to being proven wrong!!

The Gaffer
13/01/2005, 11:09 AM
Come on the Waterford Boys

sligo1
13/01/2005, 11:18 AM
Anything can happen in cup football - so come on Diceys

joeSoap
13/01/2005, 11:43 AM
This Pike v Ballymun saga looks set to roll on and on and on I'm afraid.
Ballymun have their appeal to be heard by the FAI Senior Council next week, so that rules out any game this weekend.They have further indicated that should this appeal fail, they will then go to arbitration, which will take more time, and then onto court if necessary, no matter what the cost.

You're looking at the bones of a month to resolve this unless something gets done urgently. :mad: :confused:

Supersub
13/01/2005, 12:02 PM
Anything can happen in cup football - so come on Diceys

I agree , I would say the Park lads are not relishing a trip that far up country!Your lads will have a chance. Will the game go ahead up there? How hard did the weather hit you guys up there , I heard it was pretty bad!

I am sure the last thing Park would want is to travel up there and for the gam to be called off!!!!!

The Gaffer
13/01/2005, 12:23 PM
This Pike v Ballymun saga looks set to roll on and on and on I'm afraid.
Ballymun have their appeal to be heard by the FAI Senior Council next week, so that rules out any game this weekend.They have further indicated that should this appeal fail, they will then go to arbitration, which will take more time, and then onto court if necessary, no matter what the cost.

You're looking at the bones of a month to resolve this unless something gets done urgently. :mad: :confused:

What exactly are the details of Ballymuns appeal/objections???

joeSoap
13/01/2005, 1:39 PM
From what I gather its to do with a player of Ballymuns that played senior soccer with Armagh Town on a professional basis either this or last season, which makes him illegal to play in the FAI Junior Cup. Ballymuns argument is that he played in another Football Associations league, so that rule shouldn't apply to the player in question.

Grey area really, one I don't know too much about. :confused:

sligo1
14/01/2005, 9:04 AM
The League was due to restart this weekend but I think there might be a blanket ban as the weather has been terrible up here.The forecast is not too good but their pitch should be ok.
I went into Diceys for a pint last night and there was some of the team there.They were ment to go training last night but only 5 turned up - not a good omen.They reckon they will be up for it but I dont know will it be enough.They have a poster up advertising the after match reception - Sunday and Monday - so win or lose they will have a good time.

Supersub
14/01/2005, 10:41 AM
Markvcw Celtic were knocked out in the last 64 last weekend. Then there were 6 Poacher!!!

Killester seem to be the dark horses. Have the record of winning trophies in the capital but not a lot thought of them on this site!!!

Hopefully come Monday we will be talking about 4 great wins for local teams!

Anyone have the betting on the competition?? Who do the bookies consider the favs????

guvnor
14/01/2005, 12:02 PM
I have to agree with Samuel, I feel the cup is coming back shannonside again!! Also agreeing with the supersub I feel a good hard working team like carew or park will go along way. The fai this year is set up for this type of team and from what iv seen of both teams they are both well capable of playing the best teams on a one off occasion. There trouble over the last few seasons has been consistency. Im not a Park Rangers supporter but they have some players that are quality and dont even get noticed when it comes to picking the all star ?? limerick oscar team.

balls
14/01/2005, 4:37 PM
it is a joke that this diceys team have got so far i hope they get hockeyed about 9-0

sligo1
14/01/2005, 5:18 PM
Believe it or not my friend ,that's what makes Cup football - the underdog.
No matter what sport it is,your heart wants the underdog to win but your head says different.No matter how bad Diceys are, I don't think they will lose 9-0 - Maybe this is the year of the underdog, if not Diceys maybe one of the other unfancied teams.People should get behind teams like Diceys and encourage them , not take the **** of them.

sligo1
16/01/2005, 8:12 PM
Park are through to the next round - they won 3-1.Diceys were 3-0 down after 15-20 mins - they were missing 2 of their best players and brought in 2 new lads.They dropped one of their centre halves and played a lad that was carrying an injury who only lasted 15 mins.Once the original back four was together - they played a lot better.Park's no 10 scored 2 bullets.Park also missed a penalty.Diceys got one back before half time and that's the way it ended.With 15 mins to go diceys had a free off the crossbar with the keeper beaten - if that had gone in, diceys might have got another.
Overall, Park were a well organised team,and obviously the standard is a lot higher in Limerick than in Sligo.
You must remember the difference in divisions between both teams.Diceys were missing a leader on the pitch and also somebody on the line to organise things.
Will park win the Cup - I personally dont think so, they reckon they are quietly confident of lifting the trophey but They didn't kill the game today.
They are avery nice bunch of lads - I went back to Diceys after the game for a pint and they did the Limerick League Proud.
Overall they are a nice bunch of lads but I don't think they will be lifting the Junior Cup this Year.
As for Diceys, they are still on the beer.

The Gaffer
17/01/2005, 6:59 AM
Waterford Crystal are through to the last 16, they beat Granville on penalties, 2-2 after et

CousinSylDolan
17/01/2005, 9:52 AM
Just trying to work out who is in the last 16. I've added the results as I know them from yesterday. If anyone has results to add please do so....

Leeside ( Cork ) v Westport or Tralee Dynamoes
Waterford Crystal
Trim Celtic ( MH ) v Baldoyle Utd ( AUL ) or Straide & Forford ( Mayo )
V.E.C. ( UCL ) or Maymount ( Cork ) v Peakville FC ( TS )
Aileach FC ( DL ) v Galway Hibs or Dean Celtic ( KK )
West Utd ( Ga
Dublin Bus ( LSL Sat ) v Rosegreen Rangers ( TS )
Salthill Devon v Crettyard Utd
Carew Park ( LK )
St.Mary’s ( Cork ) v Tramore FC
Ballynanty Rovers
Bellurgan ( Mh ) v Old Bridge FC ( TS )
Killester United ( AUL )
Pike Rovers ( LMK ) v Ballymun United ( AUL )
Park Rangers ( LK )
Evergreen FC ( KK ) v Bridge United ( KK )

Anyone know when the draw for the last 16 is on?????????

The Gaffer
17/01/2005, 10:00 AM
Just trying to work out who is in the last 16. I've added the results as I know them from yesterday. If anyone has results to add please do so....

Leeside ( Cork ) v Westport or Tralee Dynamoes
Waterford Crystal
Trim Celtic ( MH ) v Baldoyle Utd ( AUL ) or Straide & Forford ( Mayo )
V.E.C. ( UCL ) or Maymount ( Cork ) v Peakville FC ( TS )
Aileach FC ( DL ) v Galway Hibs or Dean Celtic ( KK )
West Utd ( Ga
Dublin Bus ( LSL Sat ) v Rosegreen Rangers ( TS )
Salthill Devon v Crettyard Utd
Carew Park ( LK )
Tramore FC
Ballynanty Rovers
Bellurgan ( Mh ) v Old Bridge FC ( TS )
Killester United ( AUL )
Park Rangers ( LK )
Evergreen FC ( KK ) v Bridge United ( KK )

Anyone know when the draw for the last 16 is on?????????
Tramore FC also won

barryk
17/01/2005, 10:51 AM
[QUOTE=CousinSylDolan]Just trying to work out who is in the last 16. I've added the results as I know them from yesterday. If anyone has results to add please do so....

Westport
Waterford Crystal
Trim Celtic ( MH )
V.E.C. ( UCL ) v Peakville FC ( TS )
Galway Hibs
West Utd
Rosegreen Rangers ( TS )
Salthill Devon
Carew Park ( LK )
Tramore FC
Ballynanty Rovers
Bellurgan ( Mh )
Killester United ( AUL )
Park Rangers ( LK )
Evergreen FC

Above is a list of winners from yesterdays games

dasher
17/01/2005, 2:43 PM
According to ballymuns guestbook:
Killester, Ballynanty and the winner of Pike/Ballymun/Bath are 7/2 joint favourites.

The Gaffer
17/01/2005, 2:47 PM
Anybody any idae when the draw for the next round is taking place :confused: