PDA

View Full Version : Who's Gonna Win FAI Junior Cup 2004/05

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

inexile
17/01/2005, 3:00 PM
waterford crystal are bound to be amongst the favourites too although they struggled to get over granville yesterday only coming through on pens,but they are still there and they have to be fairly handy to have beaten carrick, and as we all know its "all on the day"

CousinSylDolan
17/01/2005, 3:10 PM
Anybody any idae when the draw for the next round is taking place :confused:

Draw is on next Friday night 21st of Feb in the Aisling hotel.....

dasher
17/01/2005, 3:12 PM
Yeah id say they would.
Anyone still in it at this stage is obviously a good side.
Home draw is vital, especially against the so called big guns.
I believe the draw takes place this wednesday.

guvnor
17/01/2005, 3:31 PM
All teams left at this stage are obviously well able to play ball. I have seen a few different teams so far and from what I have seen of whats left, I dont think the winner is going to be a real good footballing team as there are a lot of average but well organised teams left who can beat anyone on their day. I fancy Carew or Park Rangers to cause a few shocks yet

inexile
17/01/2005, 3:37 PM
i agree and disagree guv,carew park could do serious damage but i cant see park going too far if the meet a quality side

guvnor
17/01/2005, 3:45 PM
I agree but I know this Park side and have seen them regularly and there trouble has been so called lesser teams. They have always struggled against teams in the league who are struggling at the bottom and at the same time the do very well against the big guns. I just think that if they got a home draw against any team they would go places. I heard the were on fire in the first half yesterday and then once again struggled against a so called lesser team when they were under some pressure.

balls
17/01/2005, 6:28 PM
ballananty beat castlebar celtic 3-1. westport united beat leeside 3-1.rosegreen rangers 2-1 dublin bus.st.cormack 0-1 killester, trim celtic 5-4 baldoyle. bellurgan 1-0 oldbridge, VEC 2-1 Maymount celtic

wilhelm2
17/01/2005, 9:43 PM
there are three galway league teams left in the last sixteen galway hibs,salthill devon and west utd,the cup could be going shannonside allright just a little west of it.
Tramore of the waterford are also a good junior side managed by alfie hale they have a couple of experienced ex waterford utd players.
EVERGEEN of kilkenny are a strong side having just come back from intermediate football. so there's no sure thing that the cup is going to stay in limerick

The Gaffer
18/01/2005, 7:06 AM
there are three galway league teams left in the last sixteen galway hibs,salthill devon and west utd,the cup could be going shannonside allright just a little west of it.
Tramore of the waterford are also a good junior side managed by alfie hale they have a couple of experienced ex waterford utd players.
EVERGEEN of kilkenny are a strong side having just come back from intermediate football. so there's no sure thing that the cup is going to stay in limerick

Alfie Hale no longer manages Tramore but is still involved with the club, they are now managed by Richie Power who is also an ex Waterford United Manager. Tramore themselves will be no push over they have a mix of some good experienced players as well as youth in their side

Terry
18/01/2005, 7:33 AM

West Utd I think my have gone as far as they are going to go. No real experience in the team.

Salthill Devon (Galway United Juniors :) ) are playing very well and are in with a bit of a chance.

But, I really fancy Galway Hibernians to do very well. A lot of ex-GUFC players in Tony Folan, Ollie Keogh, Rodney Grant etc... mixed with experienced players in Galway Junior terms in John Walsh, Anthony Kelly and Mark McPhilbin have potential to win the competition.

The Gaffer
18/01/2005, 9:27 AM
All weekend Junior Cup Results can be found on www.fai.ie

Supersub
18/01/2005, 10:14 AM
i agree and disagree guv,carew park could do serious damage but i cant see park going too far if the meet a quality side

Cant agree with you inexile.Carew are not a better side than Park.I believe that Park would come out on top more often than not when the sides would meet.

I have watched Balla against Michaels and they were not at all impressive. Pike will not win the cup , no matter what they think themselves so much and all as I would like to see cup remain in Limerick I have to agree with the people who think that it will leave this city for one year at least!!!!

Hope I am wrong though!!!

guvnor
18/01/2005, 10:30 AM
I agree supersub, I also seen Balla against Michaels and nothing really to note from that game but the strength of the wind!! There are teams left who are there for the taking and would I have to agree that on seeing whats left I feel the cup will be going outside of limerick

dasher
18/01/2005, 11:09 AM
Are the two waterford teams any good
Know waterford crystal are usually good
what are they like this term and havent heard anything of tramore

clownboy
18/01/2005, 11:33 AM
Killester for me ...motoring along nicely ...I also think Balla have a great chance ..Playing Poorly and winning is a good sign

guvnor
18/01/2005, 11:42 AM
I agree about killester but dont know if Balla will win it. I know there playing badly and winning but how long can that last for? Seen them earlier on in the season and they were poor and again lately. Dont get me wrong it would be super for balla to win it but improvement needed.

joeSoap
18/01/2005, 12:06 PM
With a bit of luck, Pike can win it, and easily offer Limericks best chance of keeping the trophy. They are very consistent, are not conceding many goals (only 5 in the premier div at home, none at all to date in the FAI), and have a decent goalscorer in Martin O'Neill.Their lack of strength in depth could bite them later in the competition, but thats where the little bit of luck I was talking about earlier comes in to play. If they stay injury free, then I think thay'll go all the way.

dasher
18/01/2005, 12:29 PM
Like i said earlier home draw is half the battle.
Any of the limerick teams, especially pike and balla are gonna be hard to beat on home turf.
And apparantely it takes a very good team to go to killester and win.

clownboy
18/01/2005, 1:11 PM
With a bit of luck, Pike can win it, and easily offer Limericks best chance of keeping the trophy. They are very consistent, are not conceding many goals (only 5 in the premier div at home, none at all to date in the FAI), and have a decent goalscorer in Martin O'Neill.Their lack of strength in depth could bite them later in the competition, but thats where the little bit of luck I was talking about earlier comes in to play. If they stay injury free, then I think thay'll go all the way.

Ya definately they are the favourites now...Defence is excellent but they will have a tough one in Ballymun who will get back in i have no doubt.If Pike beat them they could go all the way .I think that Pike would like to avoid a local team also like Balla or Park as they always struggle against both..Park beating them in the league and Balla beat them inthe tsb cup 7-1 last season i think the score was

CousinSylDolan
18/01/2005, 2:17 PM
Anyone know when Rd 7 is due to be played???????

I think its Feb 5/6 but need confirmation if anyone has it. :confused: :confused: :confused:

The Gaffer
18/01/2005, 2:53 PM
Anyone know when Rd 7 is due to be played???????

I think its Feb 5/6 but need confirmation if anyone has it. :confused: :confused: :confused:

Yep weekend of Feb 5/6

Van The Man
19/01/2005, 9:10 AM
Anybody any views on the two teams from Tipperary, Rosegreen and Peake Villa. I haven't heard of Rosegreen in the FAI before, but I know of Peake Villa who have reached the last 16 and last 4 in the last few years.

Any news of them this time around ?

Rosegreen beat Dublin Bus last weekend. Peake are playing away to VEC this wkend coming 22nd Jan.

wilhelm2
19/01/2005, 9:53 AM
pike must be favourites, now they have got the fairview monkey off their backs, they didn't concede one goal when winning the munster a few years ago and they seem to have retained the habit. however i wouldn't write either galway hibs or kilkenny's evergreen as both have very experienced players and also have some pedigree in winning trophys.

wilhelm2
19/01/2005, 10:02 AM
i d write off tipp chances in the fai this year, rosegreen havnt the quality to go all the way while peake villa have lost as many league games as they won this season. back a tipp ream for the munster junior though as clonmel town and st michaels are still in contention

CousinSylDolan
19/01/2005, 10:31 AM
I hear Granville have now protested against Waterford Crystal in the Fai for playing an illegal player. Crystal beat Granville on spotters last Sunday.

Carrick, last years finalists lodged the same complaint I believe but protested too late. (think I read that on this site somewhere)

With the Ballymun thing and now this will the final be played at all this year???????

Turning into a bit of a farce.
Can anyone confirm that Granville have launched a protest????????

clownboy
19/01/2005, 10:43 AM
I hear Granville have now protested against Waterford Crystal in the Fai for playing an illegal player. Crystal beat Granville on spotters last Sunday.

Carrick, last years finalists lodged the same complaint I believe but protested too late. (think I read that on this site somewhere)

With the Ballymun thing and now this will the final be played at all this year???????

If the do its getting ridiculous ...The fai should sort these things out immediately

Larry 'da' Wyse
19/01/2005, 11:58 AM
Will go along to see VEC v. Peake Villa on the 29th - either team in with a shout of winning it??? Last Junior Cup game I was at was in Tipp Town seeing Villa lost to Fairview - ultimate 'game of 2 halves'.
Presume Ted O'Connor is playing with Villa this year?

The Gaffer
19/01/2005, 3:32 PM

If Granville have lodged an objection they are wasting their money! East End, the team Crystal played before Granville, also lodged the same objection and it was over ruled. I was speaking with a member of the Crystal set up and he explained. The guy in question played under 21 for Kilkenny but Crystal went through the correct procedures, they also have have his letter of release from Kilkenny City as well as a letter of release from the Eircom League.
You think peolple would cop on after 2 other clubs have failed with the same objection!

CousinSylDolan
19/01/2005, 3:40 PM
If Granville have lodged an objection they are wasting their money! East End, the team Crystal played before Granville, also lodged the same objection and it was over ruled. I was speaking with a member of the Crystal set up and he explained. The guy in question played under 21 for Kilkenny but Crystal went through the correct procedures, they also have have his letter of release from Kilkenny City as well as a letter of release from the Eircom League.
You think peolple would cop on after 2 other clubs have failed with the same objection!

I agree now that someone has stated the facts. These objections are making a bit of a joke of the competition...

balls
19/01/2005, 6:38 PM
ted o connor is up front still for peake villa. they are nowhere near as good as they were 3 years ago but with the way the cup is goin this year they might sneak through another couple of rounds. Rosegreen are a dogged side and would fancy a home tie but they dont expect to go much further id say

Supersub
20/01/2005, 9:31 AM
I think that most of the teams that are left would be of the same ilk , not a top team but capable of beating anyone if they perform.

There are quite a few twists and turns left yet this year. I do not think any of the last 16 teams can be ruled out at this stage. I think that if you ask any manager who is left in the comp all they would ask for is a home draw.

I know that if I was in that pos I would not be afraid of anyone who is left as there is not outstanding team there!!!!

We will wait to see what the draw brings tomorrow night!!!

barryk
20/01/2005, 10:00 AM

You are correct stating Waterford Crystal have a letter of release from Kilkenny. the problem is it is dated a week after the player signed junior forms.
As for East End's objection they forwarded a personal cheque rather than a postal order with their objection making it inelligible.
Wait and see.......

wilhelm2
20/01/2005, 10:37 AM
I think that most of the teams that are left would be of the same ilk , not a top team but capable of beating anyone if they perform.

There are quite a few twists and turns left yet this year. I do not think any of the last 16 teams can be ruled out at this stage. I think that if you ask any manager who is left in the comp all they would ask for is a home draw.

I know that if I was in that pos I would not be afraid of anyone who is left as there is not outstanding team there!!!!

We will wait to see what the draw brings tomorrow night!!!

I agree totally with u supersub,with very little between teams a home draw can make the differance in the last 16 and last 8 draws. although there are some teams a manager would want to avoid, with a home draw he could have no complaints.

The Gaffer
20/01/2005, 3:26 PM
You are correct stating Waterford Crystal have a letter of release from Kilkenny. the problem is it is dated a week after the player signed junior forms.
As for East End's objection they forwarded a personal cheque rather than a postal order with their objection making it inelligible.
Wait and see.......
The guy in question could not and was not registered by the Waterford Junior League without both Kilkenny and Eircom League Release forms. So, without been registered he could not play for Crystal in any competition, which was the case.

Van The Man
21/01/2005, 8:43 AM
Is it just me or is the FAI Junior Cup getting to stage of "Farce" with all these objections going in week after week ??

Seriously I'm getting a bit tired of seeing the so called "big-guns" lodge appeals after getting beaten in the Cup. It always the same year after year and the Junior Council need to get a grip of things and sort out these problems once and for all. It's seems to spoil everything for all the lesser know clubs who progressed fair and square.

And looking on the face of it, it looks like the final could be put back if the Council those sort outstanding matters A.S.A.P.

Looking forward to the draw tonite. Home tie is vital in this round.

Supersub
21/01/2005, 9:13 AM
Van - Granville will be very happy that you think of them as one of the "big clubs" !!!!

Home advantage will be very important at this stage. The Limerick clubs have got their fair share of away draws so it would be nice if
a) they avoided each other
b) all got home draws ...

Fingers crossed !! As soon as anyone hears draw let the rest of us know!!!!!

The Gaffer
21/01/2005, 9:14 AM
Is it just me or is the FAI Junior Cup getting to stage of "Farce" with all these objections going in week after week ??

Seriously I'm getting a bit tired of seeing the so called "big-guns" lodge appeals after getting beaten in the Cup. It always the same year after year and the Junior Council need to get a grip of things and sort out these problems once and for all. It's seems to spoil everything for all the lesser know clubs who progressed fair and square.

And looking on the face of it, it looks like the final could be put back if the Council those sort outstanding matters A.S.A.P.

Any idea when the draw gets posted on the FAI web site. Are is there anywhere that I can get the draw soon after its made???

barryk
21/01/2005, 9:23 AM
The guy in question could not and was not registered by the Waterford Junior League without both Kilkenny and Eircom League Release forms. So, without been registered he could not play for Crystal in any competition, which was the case.

Spoke to a member of Waterford Council. He says they incorerectly accepted form from Waterford Crystal. He could be bs'ing me but that is what he says

clownboy
21/01/2005, 9:38 AM

What big Guns are u refering to??Ballymun won 1-0 and Bath lodged an appeal...Bath are hardly the big guns there...Crystal beat Granville and granville lodged it so hardly big guns either.The only team that you could refer to as being a big gun are Carrick, They lodged an appeal to against Crystal and lost it

joeSoap
21/01/2005, 10:19 AM
What big Guns are u refering to??Ballymun won 1-0 and Bath lodged an appeal...Bath are hardly the big guns there...
mmmm 3-1 I think....

clownboy
21/01/2005, 10:32 AM
Oh right sorry either way they won and the "underdog lodged the appeal"

wilhelm2
21/01/2005, 11:01 AM
1. Bath are no small outfit managed by noel bollard ex coventry city will probably win lsl major div and put it up to pike if they get through

2. bath won the appeal and its ballymun (big gun) appealing the decision thats holding up the competition.

ColinR
21/01/2005, 11:23 AM
What big Guns are u refering to??Ballymun won 1-0 and Bath lodged an appeal...Bath are hardly the big guns there...Crystal beat Granville and granville lodged it so hardly big guns either.The only team that you could refer to as being a big gun are Carrick, They lodged an appeal to against Crystal and lost it

ballymun beat albion rovers of louth 1-0 in the previous round. albion got a number of phone calls from people giving information that would have enabled albion to appeal. the club decieded against appealing, as in their view they were beaten fairly on the day. i presume it is this match that the 1-0 scorline refers to above

clownboy
21/01/2005, 11:42 AM
1. Bath are no small outfit managed by noel bollard ex coventry city will probably win lsl major div and put it up to pike if they get through

2. bath won the appeal and its ballymun (big gun) appealing the decision thats holding up the competition.

Ya but in the origianal mail he states that when the Big guns lose they lodged appeals..Ballymun did not lose..It seems to be the weaker teams that lose that are lodging the appeal with the exception of Carrick as i have previously stated

CousinSylDolan
21/01/2005, 12:39 PM
Lads/Ladies,

Just saw these odds on the Ballymun website.... Not sure how reliable they are as there is no mention of Park Rangers or Peake Villa. Supposedly from Chronicle bookmakers.

Fai Junior Betting
Ballymun ? 4/1
Ballynanty/Pike 5/1
Killester/Westport 8/1
Evergreen 10/1
Carew Park/Salthill Devon/West Utd/Tramore 12/1
Galway Hibs/Waterford Crystal 14/1
Bellurgan/Trim/Rosegreen/VEC FC 20/1
Bath ? 33/1

backodanet
21/01/2005, 1:05 PM
Any idea when the draw gets posted on the FAI web site. Are is there anywhere that I can get the draw soon after its made???

GAFFER,

the draw is on between 6 & 8 and that includes the oscar traynor draw too so i'd say you'll see it on this forum before the FAI Website

CousinSylDolan
21/01/2005, 1:07 PM
Forget about the Fai website lads as that was updated last week and wont be for another 6-8 weeks knowing them. Its a disaster. This forum is our best bet I'd say.....

guvnor
21/01/2005, 1:34 PM
Lads/Ladies,

Just saw these odds on the Ballymun website.... Not sure how reliable they are as there is no mention of Park Rangers or Peake Villa. Supposedly from Chronicle bookmakers.

Fai Junior Betting
Ballymun ? 4/1
Ballynanty/Pike 5/1
Killester/Westport 8/1
Evergreen 10/1
Carew Park/Salthill Devon/West Utd/Tramore 12/1
Galway Hibs/Waterford Crystal 14/1
Bellurgan/Trim/Rosegreen/VEC FC 20/1
Bath ? 33/1

If these are the correct odds for the fai, I would be very happy to be part of Park Rangers and Peake villa looking at them. No mention of either team is saying that they havent got much hope!! I believe these two teams will send a message out in the next round - especially if they see this!

wilhelm2
21/01/2005, 10:54 PM
the fai 7th rd draw is
1. pike/ballymun/bath v west utd
2. tramore v killester
3. waterford crst. v salthill devon
4. rosegreen v galway hibs
5. carew v trim celtic
6. park rangersv evergreen
7. ballananty v granville
8 vec/peake villa v bellurgan.

as u can see some very interesting and hard to call matches
home draw for pike side of draw should make them favs
all the others seem very difficult to call. except for carew and ballananty who should also be favs any comments? anyone ........?

Supersub
21/01/2005, 11:05 PM
Of the Lim sides Park have the toughest draw. Evergreen would be many peoples fancy to lift the trophy now that it has opened up!! Still Park have the home advantage which is all they could have asked for at this stage.

I hear that Trim Celtic fancy themselves to do well. The beat Baldoyle and are most definitely the stronger of the Meath sides left ..

Pike, should they go through to last 16 , and Balla would seem to have the easier route through to last 8(West Utd along with Bellurgan would be considered the weakest of the teams left) ...

All in all we should defo have two teams in the last 8 and hopefully all 4.(5 if Granville get reinstated anyone!!!!!)