PDA

View Full Version : Republic of Ireland V Slovakia - Friday, 2nd September 2011 - Euro 2012 Qualifier

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

BonnieShels
29/08/2011, 5:52 PM
On Tuesday evening against us.
as per Uefa:

http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro2012/matches/season=2012/round=15171/match=2002218/index.html

Works for me. Work 30seconds from a pub and can leave, nay, will be leaving at 4.

zero
29/08/2011, 10:06 PM
can't wait for it now. will be going through the motions for the next few days til flying over from london for the game.

thirty two years old now and i'm just as geared up as i for those games back in the nineties.

SwanVsDalton
29/08/2011, 11:22 PM
Dan McDonnell doing his best to support the Indo with some teaser tweets on Trap:

McDonnellDan Daniel McDonnell
Slightly odd stuff from Trap today. Arrived in and started talking about the drinking habits of players - unprompted. Full quotes tomorrow.

Obviously felt the need to say something. Otherwise, he was in good form. Repeated his usual criticism on English football after weekend.

Trap was at Aston Villa-Wolves & said - not for first time - that Kevin Doyle would have needed to hold up an umbrella to take the ball down

I think that's what he meant anyway. Full roundup from seniors and U21s [J McCarthy spoke today] tomorrow. Also @RuaidhriOC on Rovers duty.

SwanVsDalton
29/08/2011, 11:50 PM
Emmet Malone's piece on today's press conference is up. (http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2011/0830/1224303189414.html) In tried and tested Trap style, it's utterly bizarre.

"In the past I was slightly surprised that he wasn’t taken into consideration as much as he should have been,” he said. “He is one of the very important players for us. He plays well and the fans like the mentality of these players like Gattuso and Paul Green.

“They haven’t the style of play. They are not good players but they are very important. For us last season in every game I asked why he plays always for his team. Why? Because the manager understands his quality.

“He’s not McGeady, he’s not Duff. But he is always present. In the football there are two situations, when you have the ball, and when you don’t. Like Arsenal and Manchester United. We need to take this ball. Stephen Hunt is an important player."

:bulgy:

I think I understand what he means but it's still laughable. Comparing Hunt to Paul Green? Comparing Gattuso to Paul Green?! Oy vey.

Charlie Darwin
30/08/2011, 12:00 AM
Is he saying Gattuso isn't a good player? And has he been reading some bizarro-world version of foot.ie where everyone is full of platitudes for Paul Green?

geysir
30/08/2011, 12:02 AM
Comparing Hunt to Paul Green? Comparing Gattuso to Paul Green?!
He's comparing the mentality of those players, not their talent.

SwanVsDalton
30/08/2011, 12:05 AM
He's comparing the mentality of those players, not their talent.

Indeed, I was being flippant. But he does lump them together talent wise too: "They haven't the style of play. They are not good players..."

Sullivinho
30/08/2011, 12:06 AM
“They haven’t the style of play. They are not good players but they are very important

Carlsberg don't do backhanded compliments, but...

TiocfaidhArmani
30/08/2011, 7:27 AM
4pm is balls. Couple of hours holidays needed now.

BonnieShels
30/08/2011, 7:57 AM
4pm is balls. Couple of hours holidays needed now.

It's now Tuesday... can you not work up hours between now and next week?

Kingdom
30/08/2011, 8:17 AM
Tiocfaidh Armani, I sense you're sick next Tuesday?

BonnieShels
30/08/2011, 9:47 AM
I have a feeling of a sore throat kicking in on Wednesday.

paul_oshea
30/08/2011, 10:01 AM
Its good ye can plan yer sickness ahead like that.

BonnieShels, just make sure that you know which match, which day and what time it is you need to be sick for.

You don't want to get sick unnecessarily. Don't go wasting your sick days like that.

BonnieShels
30/08/2011, 10:09 AM
Well, Paul, check your little black book...

Tuesday 6th of September, Russia v Ireland, 4pm BST, is that right?

paul_oshea
30/08/2011, 10:18 AM
Is it UTC, BST or GMT?

BonnieShels
30/08/2011, 10:26 AM
I asked you! What sort of secretary are you!

Crosby87
30/08/2011, 10:47 AM
****e I have to start drinking at 11 AM on a Tuesday? Awful.

Hibs4Ever
30/08/2011, 10:57 AM
Don't know if mentioned already but Sloakia captain Marek Hamšík (Napoli) is out of Fridays game now through injury

shakermaker1982
30/08/2011, 11:01 AM
No nerves yet ahead of the double header.

Beat Slovakia and 2nd place is surely in the bag. MASSIVE game. Catching up on the Trap press conference and just got to the bit about Hunty.....

tetsujin1979
30/08/2011, 11:03 AM
PMS setting in here....

Kingdom
30/08/2011, 11:36 AM
Don't know if mentioned already but Sloakia captain Marek Hamšík (Napoli) is out of Fridays game now through injury

That is absolutely massive for us. He was their big threat. I'm 100% confident we'll win now.

Is he out of their game with Armenia the following Tuesday?

Sullivinho
30/08/2011, 11:39 AM

I'm tempting fate to grant his unheralded replacement the game of his life here...but that's great news.

Hibs4Ever
30/08/2011, 11:40 AM
That is absolutely massive for us. He was their big threat. I'm 100% confident we'll win now.

Is he out of their game with Armenia the following Tuesday?

Tehy are hopeful he'll play against Armenia. Found this article

http://www.thescore.ie/slovak-blow-as-captain-hamsik-a-serious-doubt-213524-Aug2011/

Murfinator
30/08/2011, 11:47 AM

Excellent, if true. Any source?

Duggie
30/08/2011, 12:18 PM

seems it my not be definate yet though, whats the bets we see him line up Fri night..hope not though.

Kingdom
30/08/2011, 1:04 PM
I dunno if anyone here has seen much of him, but Hamsik is a little genius, and I'm surprised none of the big boys of Germany, England or either of the Milans haven't sounded him out yet. I'd imagine his fee would be prohibitive to the Italians in fairness.

Not sure how influential he's been for Slovakia, but considering they've had Karhan and Vittek as the main men in the recent past, the burden was definitely to fall to Weiss and Hamsik. If he's out, it's only good for us.

AlaskaFox
30/08/2011, 1:23 PM

I did some research, and it's not definite:
http://greenscene.me/2011/08/slovakia-captain-marek-hamsik-could-miss-ireland-game/

They're assessing him as they get closer to the game.

paul_oshea
30/08/2011, 1:25 PM
Kingdom how have you seen so much of him? Ive not noticed him against us in the last few years(given his age) or any other games, i gather you must have been watching quite a bit of napoli?

TiocfaidhArmani
30/08/2011, 1:49 PM
It's now Tuesday... can you not work up hours between now and next week?

Unfortunately not, but two hour holiday is no harm :)

TiocfaidhArmani
30/08/2011, 1:50 PM
Tiocfaidh Armani, I sense you're sick next Tuesday?

You don't want to get sick unnecessarily. Don't go wasting your sick days like that.

This, but a headache might not go amiss :D

Kingdom
30/08/2011, 1:57 PM
Kingdom how have you seen so much of him? Ive not noticed him against us in the last few years(given his age) or any other games, i gather you must have been watching quite a bit of napoli?

To be fair when you see him play well once, you don't forget him. It's like taking one of Blink 182 and making him a pro footballer.
That Napoli team are one of the best to watch offensively, and at times are brilliant.

As I said earlier, he's only becoming the star for Slovakia in the lead up to the World Cup, due to Karhan's prominence more than anything else. He's just gone 24 and nearly 50 caps up already. That said, I'm not sure he controlled things much in Zilina, but I'm nearly sure he forced Given into a save in the first half.

ifk101
30/08/2011, 2:09 PM
Agree. Hamsik's absence would be a big plus for us. He's a more robust version of a Stephen Ireland that wants to play for his country. Good technique and passing range. He captains Slovakia btw.

Stuttgart88
30/08/2011, 2:35 PM
Seems like a relatively clean bill of health so far, with Kilbane only current concern (http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/soccer/2011/0830/1224303214650.html).*

*Touch wood when reading.

shakermaker1982
30/08/2011, 2:39 PM
Have we called up any more central midfield players yet?

tommy_c12000
30/08/2011, 2:49 PM
PMS setting in here....

PMS?? Premenstrual Syndrome?

Hate to be around you friday nite

tetsujin1979
30/08/2011, 3:00 PM
PMS?? Premenstrual Syndrome?

Hate to be around you friday nite
Pre Match Stress AKA PMT - Pre Match Tension.
I'm the worst person to be around for the few days before a game kicks off

shakermaker1982
30/08/2011, 3:03 PM
Pre Match Stress AKA PMT - Pre Match Tension.
I'm the worst person to be around for the few days before a game kicks off

What are you like after a heroic loss?

I sink into a depression for 48 hours! Spain 02 was a bad one, Slovakia away in 07 when we threw the game away also made an impression even though it wasn't that critical.

SwanVsDalton
30/08/2011, 3:05 PM
Seems like a relatively clean bill of health so far, with Kilbane only current concern (http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/soccer/2011/0830/1224303214650.html).*

*Touch wood when reading.

Kilbane injured for an Ireland match? Did he get hit by a bus?

tetsujin1979
30/08/2011, 3:13 PM
What are you like after a heroic loss?

I sink into a depression for 48 hours! Spain 02 was a bad one, Slovakia away in 07 when we threw the game away also made an impression even though it wasn't that critical.The worst I've ever been was after the 2-0 loss to Switzerland in 2003. I was on holidays in Tenerife at the time, and my mates who were there with me had to talk me into going back to the hotel to chill out after the game in case I did something stupid. They were right too, I was furious and would have done anything without thinking.

BonnieShels
30/08/2011, 3:32 PM
The worst I've ever been was after the 2-0 loss to Switzerland in 2003. I was on holidays in Tenerife at the time, and my mates who were there with me had to talk me into going back to the hotel to chill out after the game in case I did something stupid. They were right too, I was furious and would have done anything without thinking.

I had the displeasure of being in Temple Bar after that game and saw some Swiss and really wanted to deck them.

Croatia after they equalised I started to hit the arms of the sofa really hard and proceeded to bruise my hand. And of course we all have our Stade de France stories. The wall over were the toilets in Whelans venue used to be got the full wrath of my right hook. The pain the next day on top of the broken heart was something alright.

paul_oshea
30/08/2011, 3:42 PM
To be fair when you see him play well once, you don't forget him. It's like taking one of Blink 182 and making him a pro footballer.
That Napoli team are one of the best to watch offensively, and at times are brilliant.

As I said earlier, he's only becoming the star for Slovakia in the lead up to the World Cup, due to Karhan's prominence more than anything else. He's just gone 24 and nearly 50 caps up already. That said, I'm not sure he controlled things much in Zilina, but I'm nearly sure he forced Given into a save in the first half.

Sorry I thought an article I read said he was 26.

paul_oshea
30/08/2011, 3:48 PM
I had the displeasure of being in Temple Bar after that game and saw some Swiss and really wanted to deck them.

In fairness, that just happens in general - when one sees swiss.

theworm2345
30/08/2011, 4:38 PM
I wouldn't believe it, if he is first choice Kilbane will play if he can stand.

BonnieShels
30/08/2011, 4:38 PM
In fairness, that just happens in general - when one sees swiss.

That is very true. That match almost made it more reasonable.

Metrostars
30/08/2011, 5:24 PM
I dunno if anyone here has seen much of him, but Hamsik is a little genius, and I'm surprised none of the big boys of Germany, England or either of the Milans haven't sounded him out yet. I'd imagine his fee would be prohibitive to the Italians in fairness.

Not sure how influential he's been for Slovakia, but considering they've had Karhan and Vittek as the main men in the recent past, the burden was definitely to fall to Weiss and Hamsik. If he's out, it's only good for us.

Don't forget that Napoli are in the Cl this year so they were not wanting to sell anyway. In that group of deather with Bayern, Man City and Villareal.

elroy
30/08/2011, 5:43 PM

Croatia after they equalised I started to hit the arms of the sofa really hard and proceeded to bruise my hand. And of course we all have our Stade de France stories. The wall over were the toilets in Whelans venue used to be got the full wrath of my right hook. The pain the next day on top of the broken heart was something alright.

Croatia? Was that the one when Suker scored to win it in the last min of stoppage time!!! That followed by the last min equaliser by Macedonia a few days later followed by a play off defeat to Turkey..................Christ how did we survive those few weeks.

BonnieShels
30/08/2011, 5:49 PM
Croatia? Was that the one when Suker scored to win it in the last min of stoppage time!!! That followed by the last min equaliser by Macedonia a few days later followed by a play off defeat to Turkey..................Christ how did we survive those few weeks.

Yes the very one. Supporting Ireland is not a healthy endeavour. Or good for you memory evidently.

geysir
30/08/2011, 6:15 PM
Just a few flesh wounds apparently,

but the bus is write off.
http://www.mybrightonandhove.org.uk/images/uploaded/scaled/rottingdean_crash.jpg

tommy_c12000
30/08/2011, 7:25 PM
The worst I've ever been was after the 2-0 loss to Switzerland in 2003. I was on holidays in Tenerife at the time, and my mates who were there with me had to talk me into going back to the hotel to chill out after the game in case I did something stupid. They were right too, I was furious and would have done anything without thinking.

That was my first and only Irish Away game I was at. Was absolutely devastated after the game. I remember being in McDonalds shortly after and there were numerous Irish fans drunkenly singing and happy out, oblivious to the fact that our Euro 2004 dreams were just flushed down the toilet. They all tried their best to cheer me up making it out as if it wasn't really a big deal. To me this was incomprehensible. Fair enuf it's important to have the craic and banter during the away trips, but to go around in the immediate aftermath of such a crucial defeat playing the stereotypical happy drunken Irish fan without even a tinge of sadness was something I couldn't fathom. Frankly, I felt embarrassed as the bemused Swiss looked on.

EastTerracer
30/08/2011, 9:39 PM
Has Trap introduced some new training equipment this week....?
http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/static/images/2011/0830/1224303214650_1.jpg?ts=1314740767