PDA

View Full Version : Gaa 2011

Pages : [1] 2 3

ArdeeBhoy
10/07/2011, 2:46 PM
Dublin win the Leinster Football!

But ultimately can't see them winning the much longed for AI.

elroy
10/07/2011, 5:26 PM
They were poor today, although having said that was impressed with Wexford. Only for the awful error by the Wex keeper, they wouldve won the game. A big score to give away and ruined the momentum that Wex had. The lad Brosnan was immense for them, super player.

B Brogan was poor for Dublin today, which is rare in fairness. Perhaps teams are learning how to deal with him. Kerry and Cork would still be my favourites for the final, assuming they dont meet before hand. Kildare are worth a mention too. Dont think Ulster will offer as much as in recent years, the Ulster final next weekend will be interesting in that regard.

BonnieShels
10/07/2011, 6:07 PM
Only for the mistake by the wexford keeper they would gave drawn. Couldn't figure out what was wrong with Bernard today he scored a cracking point in the first minute and then snatched at every other attempt. His ability in and around the half forward line and his linking up with the brudder was great. O'Gara actually had his best game for Dublin I've seen him have. Held up the ball well.
Mossy was shocking bad. Paul Flynn, Bryan Cullen and Kevin Nolan played very well.
Some great games coming up in the qualifiers though. Reckon I'll be heading to Omagh.

ArdeeBhoy
24/07/2011, 4:16 PM
Dubs win in the Hurling!!
Tipp will be their Cup Final though.
:(

BonnieShels
24/07/2011, 6:09 PM
So back from Omagh. Armagh were brutal. Was listening to the Dublin game on the way home. We really need to start closing them games out.
What the well happened Galway today. Terrible.

And then the football quarter final draw... I picked 2 of them last night. I knew it would be a potential Dublin v Tyrone game along with Kildare-Donegal. Not holding out much hope for Mayo or Limerick.

culloty82
24/07/2011, 8:14 PM
Kerry will rusty after the four-week layoff, but can't see Limerick improving enough for an upset, relieved to avoid Kildare and Tyrone this early though. Munster v Connacht and Ulster v Leinster this year, so looking like Kerry-Cork and Dublin-Kildare rematches in the semis.

BonnieShels
24/07/2011, 8:43 PM
Though Kildare- Tyrone would be a cracker. Tipping the Lillywhites for the Final at least.

IsMiseSean
25/07/2011, 1:17 PM
What the well happened Galway today. Terrible.

It was an absolute disgrace. They were like a bunch of U12's, not one man in that team....

BonnieShels
25/07/2011, 2:14 PM
I wrote off Davy Fitz after the Tipp debacle and thought that that Galway team would have too much for a demoralized Bla side.
Glad I was wrong. There's some serious issues with the psyche of that Galway team. Every year they look like they're gonna break through and then they crash out with a whimper.
Brutal.

Happy with the semi final line up but the Cats and the Premier should have much too much for Dublin and Waterford. If we get a final an eighth as good as last years we'll be doing well.

Can't bloody well wait.

BonnieShels
31/07/2011, 6:38 PM
Well what a weekend that was. Can't wait to see the smirk wiped of Tony Davis' face tonight.

BonnieShels
31/07/2011, 8:23 PM
Typical, Cork lose and they don't have Tony Davis or Brolly on The Sunday Game. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!

ArdeeBhoy
01/08/2011, 12:09 AM
Well done Donegal & Mayo!

shakermaker1982
01/08/2011, 9:13 AM
Brilliant performance by Mayo. Hope Spillane watched it the *****

BonnieShels
01/08/2011, 9:34 AM
He was fairly pro-Mayo last night to be fair and in fact was critical of Kerry to some extent.

If Mayo put it up to them they could win.

culloty82
01/08/2011, 3:04 PM
Again, Kerry's backline was ripped open, Limerick could have had two goals before O'Sullivan's wonder-strike, expect O'Mahony and Tom O'Sullivan to be dropped, with Young and Bohane introduced. Midfield did OK, but still nowhere near dominant enough as would be needed against a Top Four team, Donaghy and Cooper very subdued, nedd more variety between long-balls and short-passing if they're to beat Mayo.

Kingdom
03/08/2011, 12:18 PM
Again, Kerry's backline was ripped open, Limerick could have had two goals before O'Sullivan's wonder-strike, expect O'Mahony and Tom O'Sullivan to be dropped, with Young and Bohane introduced. Midfield did OK, but still nowhere near dominant enough as would be needed against a Top Four team, Donaghy and Cooper very subdued, nedd more variety between long-balls and short-passing if they're to beat Mayo.

It wasn't totally disastrous - Killian Young has recaptured his form and is showing what a good defender he is - but to me what Jack is trying to do is totally floundering on Eoin Brosnan. He is not a centre back, and it is going to be costly unless it's sorted out. Tom Sull was very poor, Mahony was up against a very good player, but got better as the game wore on. Marc was decent, Tomas was decent, but they'll need to be better than decent in the Semi's. I'd agree with your changes btw (i'm sure you meant Shane Enright rather than Young - as Killian is a confirmed starter these days).
Bohane did well when he came on, and is animal in the air.

Take the Kerry back 6 the last day:

2 Young 3 Marc Sé 4 Tom Sull

5 Tómas Sé 6 Brosnan 7 O'Mahony

Take Mayo's front 6 :

10 McLoughlin, 11 Dillon 12 Moran
13 Varley 14 A Freeman, 15 O’Connor

The half forward line is where the Mayo threat is. It's also where Kerry are arguably weakest (ironic considering it was one of the better sectors of the team up to last year).
McLoughlin had a super game, not just the scores he got, but the lines he ran. It caused chaos along with Dillon and Moran. Will O'Mahony and Brosnan be able for the two of them? I can't see it myself. Bohane coming on the last day was interesting, as I'd imagine he's close enough to the team now.
I'd make two changes to the Kerry defence. I'd put Dan Bohane in on Alan Freeman at full back. He's excellent in the air, teak tough, and well able to distribute the ball simply. Freeman has a bit about himself to be fair to the lad, and he could be a lot for Marc to handle. Whereas Bohane would be good enough and free Marc for a bigger challenge - Andy Moran or Alan Dillon. I'd put Young on McLoughlin - he won't be outpaced, and given how much ball Killian sees during the course of a match it might put McLoughlin on the back foot a bit more, something Paudie Kissane didn't do enough for Cork - but when he did it yielded 1-2.
I'd move Marc onto Moran I think - it would mean moving Tomas theoretically into the centre, but Mayo don't seem to play the traditional certain roles, more roving, and this would allow Kerry to go man-for-man, something that suits them better.

So that would be:

2 Enright 3 Bohane 4 Tom Sull
15 O'Connor 14 Freeman 13 varley

6 Marc O'Sé 5 Tomas Sé 6 Young
12 Moran 11 Dillon 10 McLoughlin

Midfield will be a big worry, hence Galvin getting a good run-out was important. Himself and Donnacadh Walsh will be the winning or losing of the match. If they can break and win enough secondary ball, it should nullify midfield, where it will be a big ask for Sheehan (considering the height disadvantage) if not so much for Anthony Maher. I wouldn't be surprised if jack pulled another surprise and recalled Scanlon now he's over the injuries, and moved Sheehan into the corner (or as a third mid) allowing for the fact that Darren Sullivan probably won't be fit to start. Scanlon suffered with injuries last year, but he was excellent the season before last, when he was the stand out midfielder all season. I've plenty of time for him, and for me a fully fit Scanlon is a better midfielder than Bryan Sheehan.

Culloty, don't worry about Gooch or Star. They were grand for the 20mins that the game was a contest. They relaxed when the game was over. Did you see around the 55 minute mark where Donaghy fielded a short kick out by Kealy around the 50m line and sprayed the ball 50yds to Gooch on the other side of the pitch? That's how bad a contest the match was. They'll be fine for Mayo.

Finally Mayo don't have a defender to mark Declan O'Sullivan. I don't say that out of arrogance or over-confidence, just that the fact that Dec is the best forward of his generation and is a pleasure to watch every time he puts on the green and gold. Centre forward, full forward, it doesn't matter. Feed the Dec and he will score. Or don't feed him, and he'll find ball himself and score.

Spudulika
06/08/2011, 6:36 PM
Sadly only able to watch the Dublin-Tyrone match on BBC, the UK commentators seem to have a problem with the referee and are howling every time a Tyrone player goes to ground. Good play by the Dubs, if they can keep it up, and it looks like the Tyrone lads didn't juice up enough for this. Amazing how bullies don't like getting pushed back. Still can't see further than Kerry (sadly) for the Sam.

elroy
06/08/2011, 10:12 PM
As a Corkman at this stage, I really dont care who wins Sam once Kerry dont. God knows they have done it enough times. Though it is hard to see past them.

Dublin looked good today but Tyrone imo had gone backwards from last year. Dublin largely still remain untested this year, although they deserve credit for disposing of a decent Kildare side relatively easily. Id love to see Mayo win it out but cant see it happening, they have already overachieved.

First year since the back door system came in that all four provincial winners have made the semis.

Spudulika
07/08/2011, 4:59 AM
Agree on Mayo, as much as I want Dublin to win, I thought Mayo have played the best brand of football and after so many near misses with seemingly better squads, it would be great for them to win. I don't like Kerry, or their style of football, they get a free ride from commentators yet they are as nasty as any of the Northern sides who did well and don't seem to get punished for it. Though still I can't bet against them.

culloty82
07/08/2011, 7:35 AM
I think the digs by Kerry players is down to the pummellings from Tyrone and Cork down the years, can't see them setting out to rough up Mayo when the rivalry isn't as intense. Very impressed by Dublin last night, Diarmuid Connolly gave a point-scoring exhibition, they'd have beaten any team in the country on last night's performance.

shakermaker1982
10/08/2011, 2:39 PM
I don't think this Mayo team will be bullied by Kerry. They might get beat but Kerry will know they had a game this time around.

The last All Ireland final pasting was heartbreaking. I didn't see one Kerry fan in the pub after the game celebrating (used to it I suppose) yet Mayo fans drank Drumcondra dry. If Mayo could pull off mission impossible and repeat 1951 then Mayo will shut down for a month!

BonnieShels
10/08/2011, 9:58 PM
Ah remember it well. Watched the game in Quinns and went down to McGrath's for the afters. Was a mighty night. Not a Kingdomer anywhere to be seen.

The attitude of Kerry and Cork after games in Dublin is desperate. They are no craic at all. When Cork beat Tyrone in 2009 Dublin was emptied bar the Tyrone lads.

Anyway it's a hurling week so we'll worry about the football after Tipp hand us a pasting on Sunday.

RahenyBohs
14/08/2011, 8:34 AM
I'm off to the Dublin hurling match today. I think we have a chance as long as we limit Tipperary on goals because I'm certain we can match them on points alone. Come on Dublin!

ArdeeBhoy
14/08/2011, 9:01 PM
T'was an epic battle earlier, sorry for the Dubs hurlers just for the sake of variety, but the Cats will surely lap it up again in 3 weeks time.

elroy
14/08/2011, 10:56 PM
First decent hurling contest of the year. Better team won, no doubt and it'll be a better final for the fact that Tipp are there rather than Dublin.

However, the Dubs are def the third best team in the country now. Bit negative for my liking. Nonetheless its a pity they lost some many key men to injuries, with them, they may have just have edged Tipp. The soft goal they gave away in the first few mins turned out to be key.

RahenyBohs
15/08/2011, 10:00 PM
but the Cats will surely lap it up again in 3 weeks time.

Indeed they will. Kilkenny have looked far better than Tipperary in the last month.

BonnieShels
21/08/2011, 12:12 PM
Woho! It's a big un!

Come on Mayo!

BonnieShels
21/08/2011, 3:33 PM
Typical Mayo bottling.

BonnieShels
21/08/2011, 3:52 PM
Is there something in the water in Kerry? The slightest touch and down we go. Intriguing the effects only start to manifest around the 55min mark.

Terrible second half from Mayo.
Gutted watching that.

shakermaker1982
22/08/2011, 8:59 AM
Didn't have the forwards to compete with Kerry and too slow in the middle of the park. You also cannot give the Gooch that much space and time on the ball. Kerry were not complacent in the slightest and Mayo gave em a game for 40 minutes but Kerry just pulled away

Mayo can build on this. It's a young team and hopefully they'll learn.

Kingdom
23/08/2011, 7:37 PM
I don't think this Mayo team will be bullied by Kerry. They might get beat but Kerry will know they had a game this time around.

How right you were. I was talking to a panelist and he said there was a new respect for Mayo after the game on Sunday. Killian Young is still picking himself up off the floor after getting steamrolled by juggernaut, sorry, Aidan O'Shea.

Typical Mayo bottling.

That's very unfair. A few things...
Mayo got away with the start slightly as Kerry really should have been 2-2 to 0-1 ahead after 7 mins (spillane conveniently missed Mayo's first point on TSG). The match would have been dire after that.
Kerry's decision making in the first 20/25 mins was terrible. Foot passing was poor, shot taking was poor, tracking back was even worse. The point the Gooch got after the lazy foul by O'Shea where himself and Declan linked up started the ball rolling. No stopping them after that.
Also, Jack O'Connor deserves some credit. He changed things around after about 20 mins, moving Tomas into centre back, letting Killian Young out to wing-back and Brosnan sweeping up. It worked. By the same token, I couldn't understand how James Horan would sacrifice Kevin McLoughlin to play sweeper - he really could have hurt Brosnan if he'd been allowed to run at him. It cost Mayo.

Is there something in the water in Kerry? The slightest touch and down we go. Intriguing the effects only start to manifest around the 55min mark.

Gutted watching that.
That's also unfair. There were numerous hard legal and illegal tackles on Kerrymen that had them on the deck throughout the game. You missed the hoof to darren O'sullivan's ribs? Or Mahers bloodied nose? Or the elbow to Galvin's jaw. You mightn't like Kerry, no probs, but they're not tossers, credit where it's due.
And it was as much to do with Kerry stepping up a notch and killing the lethargy of the Limerick game and the first half which decided the game.

Didn't have the forwards to compete with Kerry and too slow in the middle of the park. You also cannot give the Gooch that much space and time on the ball. Kerry were not complacent in the slightest and Mayo gave em a game for 40 minutes but Kerry just pulled away

Mayo can build on this. It's a young team and hopefully they'll learn.

Good points Shaker. I'd say it was more that the Kerry defenders were better than the Mayo defenders - it was nip and tuck for the first quarter, then to be fair Tom OSullivan started getting obviously the better of his man, as did Mahoney.

Edit..
And despite an absolutely exceptional block on O'Shea, Brosnan was lost at centre back. If it's Dublin in the final, and he starts there, Kerry will lose. I had heard that he was to be dropped if Shane Enright hadn't been injured, and I can only imagine that would have meant some sort of reshuffle as it's not a like for like swap. Tom Sullivan turned it around against Mayo, he had a fine game. Galvin has ground to make up on Donnacha Walsh too.

I would like to see these 15 again Dublin (not saying they'll get there but it's an easier team to predict against)

Kealy

Marc O'Se (B Brogan) Daniel Bohane (Connolly) Tom Sullivan (barry Cahill - surprised if he starts)

Tomas O'Se (Bryan Cullen) Aidan O'Mahony(Alan Brogan) Killian Young (Flynn)

Bryan Sheehan Anthony Maher

Paul Galvin Declan O'Sullivan Darran O'Sullivan

Colm Cooper Kieran Donaghy Kieran O'Leary

shakermaker1982
24/08/2011, 11:48 AM
Yep I agree with you Kingdom - McLoughlin was wasted as sweeper. He was non stop in the Cork game and I really wish Horan let him off the leash. His energy and stamina levels are frightening. I rewatched the Cork game Saturday night and he is just non stop.

The scary thing about Kerry is that they will get better by September. If the Kerry forwards get ball then they'll outscore any team, even with a creaking defence.

Dublin-Donegal. Not sure who I want to win that one. Dublin winning would make a better final but it's always nice to see an underdog pull off a famous victory.

bluemovie
24/08/2011, 12:51 PM
Typical Mayo bottling.

Gutted watching that.

Kingdom beat me to it, but I meant to pick you up on that. Was that seriously all you took from watching that match?!!! Gooch proved yet again he's one of the all-time greats with one of his best performances. The goal was sheer class - against all coaching. He was moving away from goal with the initial chance gone. The correct thing to do would be to lay it off or pop over a point, but he went straight for the throat. The timing was crucial - straight after Mayo got the boost of their goal. I always think with great players in any sport, it's their decision-making that sets them apart. Cooper always seems to make the right choice. Incredible player.

As for 'bottling', I'd totally disagree. Going into the game, I had far more time for this Mayo team than the one from a few years back and my opinion stays the same. They gave a good battle, but realistically, they have limitations. I'd like to see them push on and win one eventually. This team can improve. That Doherty scored a heap of goals in the league, but lost his way in the summer. If they could get him into the forward line along with the very impressive Moran and an improving O'Connor, they might have the scoring power they need. I agree it was a bad move to sacrifice McLoughlin whose running could have caused Kerry problems.

BonnieShels, I know you'd have preferred the thought of only Donegal and Mayo standing in Dublin's way, but Kerry have done their part for the classic final, now it's up to Dublin. Will they reproduce the Tyrone display or was that another false dawn? Will they be the bottlers like in the league final and last year's semi? I'm hoping for a Kerry Dublin final anyway for all the hype, excitement and craic.

Kerry players falling down in the last 15 minutes?? Only Maher was down in that timeframe and that was for a nasty eye injury. His eye was a state after it. Galvin took an elbow to the head earlier, but got up and scored a point immediately and Darran O'Sullivan's knee to the ribs required attention and caused him to be substituted. And at the end of the game? Kerry were delighted to have taken a few hits. No complaints. The insinuation that they were timewasting just doesn't hold up seeing as Kerry were just stretching their lead through stoppage time with Scanlon's point being particularly comfortable. If there'd been another five minutes, what way do you think the scoreline would have gone?

From a Kerry point of view (I'm from Waterford, but my family are Kerry and I was at the game as usual with my ol' lad and nephew), the midfield answered a lot of questions against the 2 O'Sheas and McGarrity. Maher was flawless. He's not attracting any attention because he's not flashy and doesn't go forward much, but is doing a superb job. I thought David Moran was immense in the league and was sure to dominate midfield for the summer before he did his cruciate and that Kerry were in danger once they lost him, but the move of Sheehan to midfield has really worked. I thought they might have just been throwing in a seventh forward, but he's proving himself suited to the midfield battle. I thought if Kerry could even get upwards of 40% possession, they'd have the accuracy to win the game. In the end, they got 60%.

Tomas O Se is supposedly past it if you'd listen to some people. He was top class as usual and Tom Sullivan always improves as the year goes on. Still some worries over Brosnan who started poorly, but grew into the game well. Kingdom, the rumours were rife about Enright starting had he been fit. I assume he'd have been in the corner with Young back out to the wing and Tomas or Mahony centre back. Barring injuries though, I'd say there'll only be one change for the final with Galvin coming back in and Donnacha walsh the most vulnerable at present. It's amazing that Kieran O'Leary had a superb game, but still couldn't be 100% sure of his place.

Brendan Kealy is looking far more assured now and the whole kickout strategy was a success. Mayo can rightly feel that Cafferkey, Vaughan and Moran got the better of Donaghy, Declan and Marc, but with Kerry, there'll always be somebody else to step up to the mark. They were in the game with ten minutes to go and would have set up a grandstand finish had they scored one of the goal chances, but certainly didn't bottle it. Just came up short.

I can't wait to see Sunday's match now. Donegal could be just the type of team to frustrate Dublin who don't like when things don't go their way. For the sake of good football though, I hope the Dubs win.

BonnieShels
24/08/2011, 1:30 PM
I'm a disaster and a bitter auld boll**x after a match. And if Kerry, Meath or Cork are involved it makes me just that little more bitter! ;)

Haven't had a chance to devour either posts so bear with me.

Also BM, Whilst I like the idea of Dublin winning an all-Ireland for the first time 16 years my only concern is that Kerry don't win, if Dublin won it would be a bonus.

If only ye met me on the 305 steps last year after the semi you'd have seen the embodiment of bitterness.

BonnieShels
28/08/2011, 4:59 PM
Well, what can we say about that?

Puke football would be too kind for Donegal today.

passinginterest
28/08/2011, 5:02 PM
It says a lot about Donegal's negativity that going down to 14 men actually helped Dublin. Having a man less in the attacking area actually created slightly more space. Dreadful advertisement for GAA football and if tactics like that continue to dominate the game has no future whatsoever.

BonnieShels
28/08/2011, 5:33 PM
Donegal played to their strengths. Can't really fault them for that.

Maurice Deegan had a shocking game. No consistency with any of his decisions be it for holding or picking the ball from the ground to even traveling!

BonnieShels
04/09/2011, 1:29 PM
Disappointing performance from the Dublin Minors. However the Galway team really have some special players. Now, why can't they get their hands on Liam with such talent out there?

Time for the main course now...

freewheel30
04/09/2011, 2:45 PM
Kilkenny look seriously up for this. Always hard to stop them if they get a good head start.

BonnieShels
04/09/2011, 2:47 PM
Great catch by Tommy Walsh there and some score,there from Henry.

Shocked at the lack of composure from Tipp and especially Brennan Cummins so far.

freewheel30
04/09/2011, 2:53 PM
This delay might help Tipp settle. Nasty one for the ref there.

BonnieShels
04/09/2011, 2:55 PM
They had settled a little before that.

Now... can we have some 2010 please.

BonnieShels
04/09/2011, 3:40 PM
Looking like KKs now. Tipp not really at the races anymore.

BonnieShels
04/09/2011, 3:44 PM
Some goal there for richie hogan.

freewheel30
04/09/2011, 3:46 PM
Yeah, best goal in a final for a while I'd say. Kilkenny ain't in any mood to let them back into it.

freewheel30
04/09/2011, 3:49 PM
Although . . . 4-point game with 15 to go . . .

BonnieShels
04/09/2011, 3:55 PM
Great response from Tipp. Lar is some player.

Ref having a cracking game.

BonnieShels
04/09/2011, 3:56 PM
4 points and 8 minutes...

BonnieShels
04/09/2011, 4:08 PM
Great last 15. KK had it won after 20min.

freewheel30
04/09/2011, 4:09 PM
Kilkenny's experience probably got them over the line at the end. Credit to Tipp for managing to stay in it though.