PDA

View Full Version : Gaa 2011

Pages : 1 [2] 3

BonnieShels
04/09/2011, 4:12 PM
Shows how good this Tipp team are considering they weren't at the races and still were within 2 scores against the greatest team in history.

Kingdom
15/09/2011, 12:49 PM
Big day is approaching fast, very excited here in Chez Kingdom, but that will surely turn to nervous excitement tomorrow, and then horrible, horrible stomach churning nerves on Sat.
I've read a few pieces last weekend and the past couple of days, all with the same thing...match too close to decide, Dubs energy, hunger etc to carry them through. I'm not buying it though. The papers (or the ones I've read) have only focussed on Kerry's weaknesses from this season, and Dublin's weakness from other seasons. Sure Kealy os dodgy under the high ball, but he's stopped trying to catch, and has resorted to fisting the ball if challenging in the air. Yes Kerry's defence is old, and they have conceded goal chances, but they have played consistently well throughout the league and throughout the championship. i've heard mention that they had an easy run to the final, I don't think that's fair either - they beat the holders to continue through the front door, and besides, the championship as a whole has been poor this year.
Dublin's failings against Wexford and against Donegal seem to be ignored more or less. Wexford essentially played keepball with Dublin for 35 mins, and the Dubs were clueless. That's not meant to be insulting - they genuinely didn't know how to counter-act it. Only for a really bad stroke of misfortune, Wexford would have closed the game out. The same happened against Donegal - Donegal kept ball going left, right, back, forward and generally taking Dublin for a walk. Karl Lacey getting injured was the turning point, as Donegal lost their leader. Plus, Dublin didn't exactly play expansive football that day either.
So I think it will be interesting to see how O'Connor sets Kerry up. Everyone is expecting Kerry to blitz Dublin (or to try) in the opening quarter. I'm not so sure myself. A pulsating opening half would not be in Kerry's interests, and it's one of the reasons perhaps that Walsh starts ahead of Galvin. Walsh will wander all across the field showing for ball, laying off, tracking back, and generally wearing down his marker - Kevin Flynn in this case - before Galvin comes on and gets involved when the game is in the melting pot. Another thing would be in the games where they were under a bit of pressure, Dublin's long range scoring ability was questionable. I wouldn't be surprised to see Kerry dropping deep with the forwards going into 3 banks of 2 (Walsh & DAr Sull)(O'Leary & Dec Sull)(Gooch and Donaghy) in an effort to crowd from Dublins 50m line outwards and then break from deep.

A lot of people seem to be saying that the game will be won and lost in the Dublin full-forward line - I'd tend to disagree with that (ok if the ff line score 3-6 between them it's pretty conclusive) but it will be in the two half-back lines and specifically Dublin's where the game will be won or lost. Darren O'Sullivan has overshadowed Declan so far this year, and Declan wasn't great against Mayo, but he is a serious threat if he can see enough of the ball (he's a great bet @ 14/1 for 1st goal). Kerry will get plenty of ball into the two of them, and I'm not sure Brennan or McCarthy are good enough to contain the pair. A clubmate of McCarthy's I work with feels McCarthy is the weak link in defence.
In Dublin's hf line, they will probably go with Barry Cahill again (a defender) and Bryan Cullen (a jack of all trades), Cahill probably dropping back to sweep, thus allowing Tomas O'Se freedom to roam, and Cullen also dropping back, allowing Eoin Brosnan to roam.

Can't wait now. prediction time, Kerry by more than two scores. A Kerry captain wearing #13 has never lifted Sam. If ever a player deserved to break that it's Cooper. Hope ye all get tickets.

ArdeeBhoy
15/09/2011, 1:15 PM
Kerry will win. But the rest of the country (bar M*ath) will wish they didn't.

Jinxy
15/09/2011, 6:21 PM
Big day is approaching fast, very excited here in Chez Kingdom, but that will surely turn to nervous excitement tomorrow, and then horrible, horrible stomach churning nerves on Sat.
I've read a few pieces last weekend and the past couple of days, all with the same thing...match too close to decide, Dubs energy, hunger etc to carry them through. I'm not buying it though. The papers (or the ones I've read) have only focussed on Kerry's weaknesses from this season, and Dublin's weakness from other seasons. Sure Kealy os dodgy under the high ball, but he's stopped trying to catch, and has resorted to fisting the ball if challenging in the air. Yes Kerry's defence is old, and they have conceded goal chances, but they have played consistently well throughout the league and throughout the championship. i've heard mention that they had an easy run to the final, I don't think that's fair either - they beat the holders to continue through the front door, and besides, the championship as a whole has been poor this year.
Dublin's failings against Wexford and against Donegal seem to be ignored more or less. Wexford essentially played keepball with Dublin for 35 mins, and the Dubs were clueless. That's not meant to be insulting - they genuinely didn't know how to counter-act it. Only for a really bad stroke of misfortune, Wexford would have closed the game out. The same happened against Donegal - Donegal kept ball going left, right, back, forward and generally taking Dublin for a walk. Karl Lacey getting injured was the turning point, as Donegal lost their leader. Plus, Dublin didn't exactly play expansive football that day either.
So I think it will be interesting to see how O'Connor sets Kerry up. Everyone is expecting Kerry to blitz Dublin (or to try) in the opening quarter. I'm not so sure myself. A pulsating opening half would not be in Kerry's interests, and it's one of the reasons perhaps that Walsh starts ahead of Galvin. Walsh will wander all across the field showing for ball, laying off, tracking back, and generally wearing down his marker - Kevin Flynn in this case - before Galvin comes on and gets involved when the game is in the melting pot. Another thing would be in the games where they were under a bit of pressure, Dublin's long range scoring ability was questionable. I wouldn't be surprised to see Kerry dropping deep with the forwards going into 3 banks of 2 (Walsh & DAr Sull)(O'Leary & Dec Sull)(Gooch and Donaghy) in an effort to crowd from Dublins 50m line outwards and then break from deep.

A lot of people seem to be saying that the game will be won and lost in the Dublin full-forward line - I'd tend to disagree with that (ok if the ff line score 3-6 between them it's pretty conclusive) but it will be in the two half-back lines and specifically Dublin's where the game will be won or lost. Darren O'Sullivan has overshadowed Declan so far this year, and Declan wasn't great against Mayo, but he is a serious threat if he can see enough of the ball (he's a great bet @ 14/1 for 1st goal). Kerry will get plenty of ball into the two of them, and I'm not sure Brennan or McCarthy are good enough to contain the pair. A clubmate of McCarthy's I work with feels McCarthy is the weak link in defence.
In Dublin's hf line, they will probably go with Barry Cahill again (a defender) and Bryan Cullen (a jack of all trades), Cahill probably dropping back to sweep, thus allowing Tomas O'Se freedom to roam, and Cullen also dropping back, allowing Eoin Brosnan to roam.

Can't wait now. prediction time, Kerry by more than two scores. A Kerry captain wearing #13 has never lifted Sam. If ever a player deserved to break that it's Cooper. Hope ye all get tickets.

There's no way O'Sé will be left to his own devices. Dublin will have someone marking him rather than vice versa.

BonnieShels
15/09/2011, 6:36 PM
2 tickets landed today. My word they are beautiful. ;)

Spudulika
16/09/2011, 4:22 AM
In my heart of hearts I can't see Dublin winning, it would be great, a realy boost to the sport and GAA, though I think experience will just beat them. I can't wait, I'm goin straight from training to a pub to watch it, just wishing I were home and able to enjoy proper commentary.

Kingdom
16/09/2011, 9:59 AM
There's no way O'Sé will be left to his own devices. Dublin will have someone marking him rather than vice versa.

Who? Cullen? Alan Brogan? Paul Flynn?

geysir
16/09/2011, 5:31 PM
I see Kingdom has conveniently ignored the Dublin Tyrone game where the Dubs played refreshingly good football. I'd say that performance is closer to what we can expect from them against Kerry. I don't know if it will be good enough but they have every chance. I don't know where the talk of a Kerry blitz in the first quarter is coming from, afair in a few of their games against more modest opposition, it took until the 2nd half for the cow dung to fall of their boots.
Anyway, despite a thick layer of Kerry blood in me I'm strictly neutral but have a softish spot for the Dubs and their persistent optimistic attempts to get a winning team out of their 1.3m population.

the bear
17/09/2011, 1:35 PM
i wish i could say i was confident going into this. ye just never know which dublin team will turn up . if we can reach the level of performance from the tyrone match kerry could be in for a shock. we certainly won't get over run and the game be over as a contest after 20 mins like it was a couple of years ago. the winning of the game will be in our half forwrd line i reckon. catser and cullen might be defenders by trade but they're also talented footballers, i reckon kev mc will be in sooner rather than later especially with flynn carrying a knock.

anyone pay crazy money for a ticket?

BonnieShels
17/09/2011, 9:20 PM
May the best team win. And may the best team be Dublin.

Mr A
17/09/2011, 10:30 PM
Hate both teams.

Hope they both lose.

BonnieShels
18/09/2011, 1:57 AM
With a gun to your head?

freewheel30
18/09/2011, 12:16 PM
Kerry'll be just that little bit too wily for Dublin I'd say myself.

Kerry 1-14 to 1-9.

shakermaker1982
18/09/2011, 1:49 PM
Dublin forwards will have to be on their A game if they are to win today. Kerry will score at least 16/17 points, can the Dubs match em?

Spudulika
18/09/2011, 2:49 PM
I just turn on the radio and Kerry score, that inbred mountain goat, jesus

Spudulika
18/09/2011, 4:03 PM
Oh yes! Never thought it would happen, not today! Cluxton, brilliant! This is such a great weekend!

geysir
18/09/2011, 4:30 PM
I thought Kerry had the game at 1/2 time, only a point behind and they hadn't started to play their game. After the Dubs got their goal and point, Kerry were shellshocked, they had the ball in scoring range but players in shooting space kept shying away from having a pop and the Dubs eventually scooped up the ball. Great finish, the Dubs picked themselves off the floor on the count of 9 and a half, the Bernard Dunne spirit :)
Though if it had gone to a replay I would have fancied Kerry to prevail.

freewheel30
18/09/2011, 5:06 PM
Great final, easily the best one I can remember - you'd nearly take a Kerry-Dublin final every year if they could serve up that kind of game! Refereeing wasn't brilliant but can't be easy to ref a game like that. The Hill seemed stunned into silence by the win.

BonnieShels
18/09/2011, 6:34 PM
I couldn't cry because I was so overcome. What a day! Get in!

Kingdom
18/09/2011, 8:33 PM
I thought Kerry had the game at 1/2 time, only a point behind and they hadn't started to play their game. After the Dubs got their goal and point, Kerry were shellshocked, they had the ball in scoring range but players in shooting space kept shying away from having a pop and the Dubs eventually scooped up the ball. Great finish, the Dubs picked themselves off the floor on the count of 9 and a half, the Bernard Dunne spirit :)
Though if it had gone to a replay I would have fancied Kerry to prevail.

Gutted. Hard to put into words how bad this hurts. Monday will do. Well done Dubs.

BonnieShels
18/09/2011, 9:32 PM
Really? I still don't know what this actually feels like.

paul_oshea
18/09/2011, 9:35 PM
Great win for the dubs.

Can someone tell me what the story is with Cluxton?

the bear
18/09/2011, 9:46 PM
Great win for the dubs.

dunno it was wierd wasn't it, he looked a bit freaked out.

he is very publicity shy and private and always has been don't know why he left before the celebrations though. didnt even stay to see cullen lift sam. who cares anyway he's entitled to celebrate however he sees fit, nerves of still to stick that kick over the bar. big one from nolan as well , what a time to get your first championship point, and kev mc really made a difference. thought the goose was cooked with 5 mins to go. what a game. ger brennan was blessed kerry didnt get the ball and score after him giving up that free in the last min

the bear
18/09/2011, 9:47 PM
http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=174972&stc=1&d=1316369518

BonnieShels
18/09/2011, 10:27 PM
When we got that free and Ger punched the Arch-Pussy I thought it was game, set and match! I'dve turned it over if I was honest. And our winning free was as weak as they were in that game. That Donaghy remained I'm the pitch for 70mins was the real scandal. He is a pox on Kerry and needs to be noticed.

junglegym
18/09/2011, 11:44 PM
Great win for the dubs.

dunno it was wierd wasn't it, he looked a bit freaked out.

he is very publicity shy and private and always has been don't know why he left before the celebrations though. didnt even stay to see cullen lift sam.

Backed Cluxton to be Man of the Match this morning at 25/1. Really and trully I thought I was in with a shout when he kicked the winner, Couldn't believe he didn't even make the nominations. That Kevin Mc Stay owes me a pint when I see 'em ;);)

ArdeeBhoy
19/09/2011, 12:01 AM
Da Dubs, We did it!

FTKFN.
Now & Always....

paul_oshea
19/09/2011, 9:33 AM
http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/no-fuss-no-fanfare-as-cluxton-lets-his-boot-do-the-talking-2880409.html

he might be a private individual but doing what he did just draws more attention, so maybe he indirectly wanted that to happen.

geysir
19/09/2011, 10:08 AM
You really should give up the mind reading lark, Paul.

geysir
19/09/2011, 10:22 AM
Since Darragh Ó Sé retired, Kerry haven't had the same steely resolve to draw upon when needed, to drag them over the line. He was a naturally aspired hard man no need for shouts of encouragement or fist pumping from Darragh - he could lead by example in those pressure minutes, whereas Galvin (a gifted footballer) is just a hard man poser. Sheehan has had a surprising good year but is not the personality type to step into the breech.

shakermaker1982
19/09/2011, 12:02 PM
Donaghy = ar$e. Glad Kerry lost just so he didn't end up with another winners medal.

paul_oshea
19/09/2011, 12:58 PM
You really should give up the mind reading lark, Paul.

Leave it to the professionals like you :)

BonnieShels
19/09/2011, 2:39 PM
Donaghy = ar$e. Glad Kerry lost just so he didn't end up with another winners medal.

Glad Kerry lost because it meant we won.

But he is jobknockey of the highest order.

No class about him at all.

geysir
19/09/2011, 3:00 PM
You guys aren't fit to lace Donaghy's boots. I've seen him get hammered all game, get nothing from the ref and not a whimper out of him after the game, but complements paid to the opposition. Donaghy has the ability to accept defeat or victory with equal grace.

the bear
19/09/2011, 3:38 PM
http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/no-fuss-no-fanfare-as-cluxton-lets-his-boot-do-the-talking-2880409.html

he might be a private individual but doing what he did just draws more attention, so maybe he indirectly wanted that to happen.

he's prob more comfortable with attention in the form of people talking bout him on the internet or in papers, than with marty sticking a mic in his face in front of 80000 screaming fans and millions watching on telly. , after all he can just not read the paper/forum

Jinxy
19/09/2011, 7:32 PM

I think you're reading a bit too much into this Paul. :D

paudie
19/09/2011, 11:55 PM
You guys aren't fit to lace Donaghy's boots. I've seen him get hammered all game, get nothing from the ref and not a whimper out of him after the game, but complements paid to the opposition. Donaghy has the ability to accept defeat or victory with equal grace.

In fairness to Donaghy he says all the right things after the game and is probably an okay guy but once the whistle goes he is one annoying so and so. Moaning to the ref, always involved in pushing and shoving with opposition etc

As Kerry supporters I don't expect you to criticise him but surely you can see that it's reasonable he wouldn't be that popular with opposition supporters?

ArdeeBhoy
20/09/2011, 8:35 AM
Donaghy's an ass, but he's also ancient history at this stage...

BonnieShels
20/09/2011, 8:44 AM

Ha ha. Ha ha ha. Ha ha.

Ha.

You're kidding right?

Obviously you weren't in the stadium yesterday and watched him antagonising all the Dublin defenders at every opportunity. Or late punches. Or cynical digs in the back. Pulling jersies under highballs.
All of which went unpunished.
I've had the (dis)pleasure of seeing him in many many games live.
You don't see half of what goes on on tv.

He's a cret. End of.

The defence of Donaghy from all quarters does no justice to the other players on the team like the O'Sullivans who were magnificent yesterday, and (holds breath) the Gooch who did what he, annoyingly, always does.

I watched the Sunday game last night and its remarkable what I remember from the game that obviously wasn't shown, or commented on whether rightly or wrongly. But it proves that generally in games like that if you weren't there its difficult to know the crap the likes of KD gets up to around the pitch without the ball.

I'll re watch the full game during the week and see again.

One thing I was happy with though was the commenting on the refereeing of the game. One of the worst refereeing performances that thankfully didn't cost us in the end. Unlike last years semi against cork.
McQuillan is the new Sludden.

geysir
20/09/2011, 11:30 AM
[QUOTE=BonnieShels;1534785]Ha ha. Ha ha ha. Ha ha.

Ha.

You're kidding right?

Obviously you weren't in the stadium yesterday and watched him antagonising all the Dublin defenders at every opportunity. Or late punches. Or cynical digs in the back. Pulling jersies under highballs.
All of which went unpunished.
I've had the (dis)pleasure of seeing him in many many games live.
You don't see half of what goes on on tv.

He's a cret. End of.

The defence of Donaghy from all quarters does no justice to the other players on the team like the O'Sullivans who were magnificent yesterday, and (holds breath) the Gooch who did what he, annoyingly, always does.

I watched the Sunday game last night and its remarkable what I remember from the game that obviously wasn't shown, or commented on whether rightly or wrongly. But it proves that generally in games like that if you weren't there its difficult to know the crap the likes of KD gets up to around the pitch without the ball.
Obviously I was not at the AIF game, but I have seen Donaghy play in the flesh for Kerry on 5 occasions and have been acutely following and playing gaelic for decades
When I go to a game, I do observe the dark art activities of both teams. But I see you are color blind :)
Donaghy gets overexcited on the pitch but he is not malicious. I'd prefer to go 15 rounds with Donaghy than 1 minute against Darragh Ó Sé. God knows how many Cork midfielders have the clear deep imprints of both Darragh's knees in their back:)

One thing I was happy with though was the commenting on the refereeing of the game. One of the worst refereeing performances that thankfully didn't cost us in the end. Unlike last years semi against cork.
McQuillan is the new Sludden.

Sludden's biggest fault as a ref is that he dishes out the cards like confetti and blows his whistle too often, slowing down any momentum.
People are quick to criticize a ref, but I have to say McQuillan should have red carded (without the least hesitation) Brennan's elbow attack, we know McEneaney would have had the bottle to do it, but he is a vastly experienced ref. How Brennan stayed on the pitch after that, was a disgrace. The other big mistake was that he should have added on another minute for time wasting with Cluxton's last free kick or he should have cancelled the free for taking too long and thrown in the ball.

McQuillan has been slow to come down on cynical fouls (Tyrone being the masters of that art), slowing down a team breaking out of their own half. I didn't notice too much of that on Sunday.
I thought he let the game flow as much as possible and we witnessed what I would regard as a great final between the 2 of the best teams in the country, a game that had you on tenterhooks right from the beginning to end and the ref was instrumental in letting the game develop, despite not being able to see every foul or get every decision exactly right.

legendz
20/09/2011, 11:49 AM
Congrats to the Dubs. The Dubs in my experience were gracious in victory and I hope they enjoy the celebrations.
I don't get all these comments on Star. Declan O'Sullivan was lucky to keep his head on his shoulders but I don't want to get into that stuff. It was some point by Donaghy to equalise late on. Enough comment has been given on the late free. The healthy rivalry continues. Ciarrai abu.

paul_oshea
20/09/2011, 12:15 PM
I think you're reading a bit too much into this Paul. :D

Maybe jinxy, but the fact he was lapping it up yesterday and even Sunday night, doesn't add up.

Sometimes conciously or subconciously, people are quite calculated in how they approach things. IF you do something less conspicuous you end up going unnoticed, as the way you intended.

As Jimmy carr said(kinda), I spent my teenage years trying to be invisible, except no one noticed.

BonnieShels
20/09/2011, 1:58 PM
Geysir, agree with some of what you wrote, namely Ger Brennan and an extra minute after Cluxtons point but I disagree with some of it also most notably refereeing. I shall comment when I'm at my pc later.

geysir
20/09/2011, 4:40 PM
No use whining any more about Donaghy, if he is an annoying git on the pitch there is one way to deal with him, but I suppose the Dubs wouldn't have the bottle to take him on in the good old fashioned (ahem) Mone manner.
http://www.sportsfile.com/winshare/watermarked-b/Library/SF585/419024.jpg

http://www.sportsfile.com/winshare/watermarked-b/Library/SF425/314471.jpg

Yet after the game, Donaghy is man enough to offer man sized consolation to his opponent.
http://www.sportsfile.com/winshare/watermarked-b/Library/SF347/262945.jpg

Jinxy
20/09/2011, 8:43 PM
Maybe jinxy, but the fact he was lapping it up yesterday and even Sunday night, doesn't add up.

Sometimes conciously or subconciously, people are quite calculated in how they approach things. IF you do something less conspicuous you end up going unnoticed, as the way you intended.

As Jimmy carr said(kinda), I spent my teenage years trying to be invisible, except no one noticed.

Nah, by all accounts he just wants to play football.
No interest in anything else and if he hung around on the pitch it was nailed on that Marty Morrissey would stick a microphone in his face.
It would have been hard to top McAuleys interview in fairness!
"The belief in that dressing room is unbelievable". ;)

legendz
20/09/2011, 10:34 PM
Did anyone hear Tommy Carr on the "off the ball" podcast? He said if Dublin were on the recieving end of some of the decisions that went against Kerry that the capital would be up in arms.

He said, there was clearly no free at the end, there was not a touch by Eoin on the ground in the square and most importantly he raised the point on the time keeping being so poor.

I don't really want to dwell and comment on these things myself. Sloppy play on our behalf towards the end was crucial in the build-up for the goal. The Dubs like any good team punished the mistake.

BonnieShels
21/09/2011, 8:21 AM
Hence my comment that McQuillan had a shocker.

Dublin did receive some bizarre decisions as well and in the end it was probably 50-50 but you know as well as I do that if Kerry were the victorious team, the tables would be turned and we would be here rueing a loss and complaining about refereeing decisions against us.

drummerboy
21/09/2011, 8:44 AM
I was on the hill on Sunday and before the Kerry player kicked the ball while on the ground, it did touch his hand/arm, unintentionally I'd say. However technically, it should have been a penalty. Ref was poor for both teams. Darren O'Sullivan goes to ground regularly in a very exaggerated way, disappointing as he is a great player. Donaghy and O'Mahony seemed to be looking for trouble from the first whistle. O'Mahony stopped after he got booked. Have to say most Kerry supporters were very gracious afterwards, hats off to them. After so long in the wilderness, it was a great day to be a Dub.

geysir
21/09/2011, 1:22 PM
It's tough for those Kerry fans having to make the arduous AIF trip to the capital city, year in year out - win, lose, win, lose, win, win, lose, win and lose.

old git
21/09/2011, 2:16 PM
I was on the hill on Sunday and before the Kerry player kicked the ball while on the ground, it did touch his hand/arm, unintentionally I'd say. However technically, it should have been a penalty. Ref was poor for both teams. Darren O'Sullivan goes to ground regularly in a very exaggerated way, disappointing as he is a great player. Donaghy and O'Mahony seemed to be looking for trouble from the first whistle. O'Mahony stopped after he got booked. Have to say most Kerry supporters were very gracious afterwards, hats off to them. After so long in the wilderness, it was a great day to be a Dub.

typical dubs win game and still moan about the opposition players players constantly fouling / going down easy :D 2 teams on pitch and dublin players just as guilty as kerry .. perfect example of a player going down easy was for the match winning point. but it seems to be part and parcel of the game now days .. ye dubs should be more gracious in victory.