PDA

View Full Version : All-Ireland representative team survey

Pages : [1] 2 3

DannyInvincible
18/06/2011, 1:32 AM
This is just something I saw posted on both OWC and YBIG within the last few days as a national newspaper - not certain which - was doing a survey on the matter. The wording of some of the questions is slightly limited in that they don't, to my mind, allow for simple or satisfactory yes-or-no answers, but I thought it might be interesting re-posting them here nevertheless and people can explain their answers if they wish to go into detail.

Maybe a mod could stick up a poll?

i) Would you like to see an All-Ireland representative football team?

ii) Do you think it will happen in the next 10 years?

iii) Should players born in the north be allowed play in the FAI team?

iv) Would an All-Ireland team increase the chance of major tournament qualification?

i) In theory, I would. Arguably, however, we have a 'de facto' all-island team already where anyone born north of the border can be selected by the FAI on a legitimate basis so long as they are eligible and willing to be selected. Likewise, those born in the north who would rather play for NI can do so of their own free volition. So long as individual choice has primacy, I am content with the practical situation as it is currently without feeling the need to trample on a fundamental element of another tradition's culture, irrespective of how one might wish to view some of the more contentious or unsavoury elements of that culture. So, in practice, I probably wouldn't condone a merger, the forced destruction of the IFA and its teams or the dilution of any identities concerned. That would also include a concern for our own team's identity. I'd imagine that a merger would involve having to amend the various symbolism and so forth under which we play. Would it also involve a merger of all footballing institutions, including leagues and associations, on the island? I wouldn't have so much issue with merging the leagues as clubs could still maintain their individual identities under such circumstances and it may contribute to a stronger national league, but I don't see how that would work with two separate governing associations.

ii) No. There's too much opposition to the idea, plus I don't see how FIFA's statutes would allow for it unless specific exception was made. I'm not even sure the FAI would support the idea if they were to assume the role of "successor" association to the former two.

iii) Yes, unequivocally. Although, if FIFA was to re-introduce an age cap of some sort by which a dual or multiple national registered with one association but not yet permanently tied to that association would have to decide on which association for which he was eligible he wished to represent, I wouldn't take any major issue with it. Those born in the north who wished to represent the FAI would still be entirely within their rights to declare for the FAI.

iv) If potential performance could be adjudged from looking at the strength of a team on paper, then possibly, if not probably.

SkStu
18/06/2011, 1:45 AM
No.

No.

Yes.

iv) Would an All-Ireland team increase the chance of major tournament qualification?
No. Opposite i would say (identities forced together havent tended to make for successful teams in football).

Fixer82
18/06/2011, 2:19 AM
i) Yes. When the time is right it will happen.

ii) No. Maybe 20 or 25 years though, when the Republic of Ireland team is a more united Irish all-Island team to ultimately render the North of Ireland an irrelevance (que outrage from Ealing Green etc.)

iii) Yes. They are Irish just the same as everyone else on this island

iv) Yes. An amalgmation of the best Irish players from either side of the divide would increase our chances of qualification

Sullivinho
18/06/2011, 2:31 AM
I'm sufficiently pleased with the current de facto version.

Officially, no.

Yes. Players born in the north of Ireland should have as much right to play 'in the FAI team' as those originating from any other direction on the island.

No. A merger would not provide a stronger team than that which already exists.

bennocelt
18/06/2011, 7:10 AM
As long as they dont use that dirge "Irelands Call" then everything would be fine

Fixer82
18/06/2011, 9:27 AM
Agreed wholeheartedly @bennocelt.
Of any current Irish songs we have knocking around, what would you recommend would suit both sides?
I know Danny Boy would but is it a bit too Hollywood?
(That's Hollywood CA I mean, not Hollywood, County Down or County Wicklow)

French Toasht
18/06/2011, 12:14 PM

Isn't there one already? As regards, one team on the island, I am against the notion, as instead of unifying the team and fans, I could only foresee it having a divisive effect. (Perhaps people will mention the rugby situation, but I think rugby fans on both sides of the border tend to come from higher socio-economic backgrounds and hold less fundamental/extremist views regarding the "Irish problem".) I have very strong views on the fact that Irish men from the North should be able to represent their country and would hold equally as strong a view that an "All Ireland Team" would be completely inconsistant with unionist traditions and beliefs.

A unified team, sounds too much to me like a forced merger of teams that you sometimes see in the club game. Hard to see how all fans would be singing from the same hymn sheet. (literally!)

No. You have seen the petitions, blogs and downright consternation which was caused by Irish men playing for Ireland (shocker!) amongst the IFA fans, imagine what a united Ireland team would cause. Also even if the two associations were up for it, is it even possible within the legislative framework of the UEFA regulations? I would advocate an all Irish league in club terms, but the smaller teams would no doubt object and too many fat cats in the IFA and FAI would lose out on their junkets and wining and dining at UEFA conferences for that to ever be a runner.

100% yes.

Probably not. From a Irish fans perspective what we stand to gain marginaly in terms of players (2 or at most 3 starters) would probably be negetived by issues over team morale and the political furore that would eternally surround the football team.

Really and truely the united Ireland football team, can only really be a runner, when the democratic will of the people of the people in the North is to leave the United Kingdom and establish a united Ireland Ireland politically. I'm no expert on demographics, but that seems like a long way off at this point?

boovidge
18/06/2011, 12:31 PM

Wasnt in favour until recently but it has become apparent that an All-Ireland team is the only logical destination for Irish international football. Ideally I'd like the IFA to resume its former position as the FA for the entire island as it is the oldest and most historic Irish association. International matches to alternate between Dublin and Belfast (if there were better facilities) for the purposes of compromise.
No

Yes

Yes but not by a hugely significant margin.

Stuttgart88
18/06/2011, 1:30 PM
i) No
ii) No
iii) Yes
iv) Marginally

Boovidge, I'd have thought it has become more apparent recently that the logical destination for Irish football is the status quo.

For as long as England, Scotland and Wales field their own national teams, I think NI should as well. If NI-born players prefer to play for the ROI they should have that option.

I personally think we have something special as supporters of the ROI, and I think NI fans think the same about their team. That would be lost forever. There'd be too much of a chance for the more politically oriented among both sets of existing fans to creat disharmony. It was bad enough when we were split into the Mick or Roy camps; imagine the risks arising from the legacy-ROI / legacy-NI / nationalist / unionist / republican / loyalist fault lines.

The gains would be marginal and would not justify the downside.

DannyInvincible
18/06/2011, 2:15 PM
Really and truely the united Ireland football team, can only really be a runner, when the democratic will of the people of the people in the North is to leave the United Kingdom and establish a united Ireland Ireland politically. I'm no expert on demographics, but that seems like a long way off at this point?

NB posted this in another thread the other day: http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/politics/survey-most-northern-ireland-catholics-want-to-remain-in-uk-16012932.html

A major survey by Northern Ireland’s two universities has found support for a united Ireland at an all-time low.

The DUP has welcomed the findings of the Northern Ireland Life and Times Survey which reported that just 16% were in favour of unification.

The survey, which was conducted between October and December last year, found just 33% of Catholics wanted Irish unity on the long term. More than half of Catholics said they would prefer to stay in the UK, a view shared by 90% of Protestants.

So, if that's what the Belfast Telegraph is saying, then re-unification will probably happen around some time next week. :p

Wasnt in favour until recently but it has become apparent that an All-Ireland team is the only logical destination for Irish international football. Ideally I'd like the IFA to resume its former position as the FA for the entire island as it is the oldest and most historic Irish association. International matches to alternate between Dublin and Belfast (if there were better facilities) for the purposes of compromise.

That would mean our records of 1988, 1990, 1994 and 2002 being expunged from the association's records and dropping in ranking/seeding. I can see why it might be offered as a compromise of sorts, but can't see many Ireland fans being too keen on it. Likewise, for NI fans, the idea of losing their tradition and history if the FAI were to become the "successor" team would probably prove very problematic with them. And then, those are just cosmetic issues really in comparison to the major problems people would have.

culloty82
18/06/2011, 3:10 PM
Would you like to see an All-Ireland representative football team?
Ideally, yes, but like the rugby or cricket sides, it would require unionist endorsement to be a real success.

No, like Kosovo and Gibraltar, too much UEFA red tape.

Yes.

About the same as now - Lafferty and Baird would get in the first eleven, but hard to see who else would.

Gather round
18/06/2011, 3:17 PM
when the Republic of Ireland team is a more united Irish all-Island team to ultimately render the North of Ireland an irrelevance (que outrage)

You already have an all-Ireland side, boosted by players from Britain; its record is still pretty mediocre. When that record was much worse, in the past, it didn't become an irrelevance. Cue (sic) witless stirring, eh?

Yes. An amalgmation of the best Irish players from either side of the divide would increase our chances of qualification

At best only marginally. If increasing the chance of qualification is the motivation, you'd be better off merging with Brazil. Or England.

I think rugby fans on both sides of the border tend to come from higher socio-economic backgrounds and hold less fundamental/extremist views regarding the "Irish problem"

A bit sweeping, that. Even anecdotally I know plenty of rugby fans from NI who will watch the team in Dublin but are pretty hard-core unionists.

when the democratic will of the people of the people in the North is to leave the United Kingdom and establish a united Ireland Ireland politically. I'm no expert on demographics, but that seems like a long way off at this point?

41% voted for a united Ireland in May this year. That's 18% behind. Not happening anytime soon.

it has become apparent that an All-Ireland team is the only logical destination for Irish international football

Apparent to who? There's already a mediocre all-Ireland team, also a Northern Ireland side who record, albeit modest, was better in WC 2010 qualifying than Turkey, Bulgaria, Austria, Romania, Poland, Belgium and 20 other European countries. We can sustain international football quite happily, thanks. Stop stirring.

]it would require unionist endorsement to be a real success

It would require unionist support to happen at all. It won't get it and so won't happen. What happens in Kosovo etc. is irrelevant.

About the same as now - Lafferty and Baird would get in the first eleven, but hard to see who else would

Not Lafferty. Though Brunt would based on his form in the EPL, probably Hughes too for one more season. Davis plays in the Champions League every season and has been SPL player of the year recently.

Colbert Report
18/06/2011, 3:54 PM
Yes, I believe in a United Ireland and I would like very much to see an all-Ireland team.

Absolutely not. No way the IFA lets this happen and let's be real here, is there really an appetite for all of the controversy that would come out of something like a merger?

Yes, of course. They are entitled to Irish citizenship by birth so why should they be excluded from playing for our football team? I was born in Canada and I am eligibile. Am I more worthy of eligibility than someone born in the North? I don't think so.

Yes. Perhaps not in the short term due to the lack of quality players from the North but who knows when the next George Best will appear? It might take fifty years but it sure would be great to be able to pick from such a larger player pool.

BonnieShels
18/06/2011, 4:02 PM
[QUOTE=DannyInvincible;1499193]

iv) Would an All-Ireland team increase the chance of major tournament qualification?[QUOTE]

(i)Yes. Unequivocally yes.

(ii)No. Not a chance. However we should prioritise what the goals are and the FAI and the IFA really need to start working together for the good of the sport on the island. I saw the Setanta Cup and the Carling Cup as great opportuntities for improving relations between the clubs, fans and associations.

(iii) Yes. It is their right.

(iv) Currently I can't see it being anything but a burden as Ireland's team is significantly superior to the north's. In the past though it would have been a no-brainer and to think what we could have achieved is only shocking.

Crosby87
18/06/2011, 4:08 PM
(IV) Does George Best have any kids?

tetsujin1979
18/06/2011, 4:33 PM
i) Would you like to see an All-Ireland representative football team?Yes, as has been repeatedly stated previously, it works in other sports, so why not football?

ii) Do you think it will happen in the next 10 years?No, in fact I doubt I'll see it in my lifetime, although I'd say a one off Ireland team similar to the "Shamrock Rovers XI" is possible for testimonials

iii) Should players born in the north be allowed play in the FAI team?Yes, and their right to do that is protected by international law

iv) Would an All-Ireland team increase the chance of major tournament qualification?Yes, but not by a massive degree. We would have more squad depth than currently, but the starting XI would remain as is at the moment

Gather round
18/06/2011, 5:15 PM
Yes, I believe in a United Ireland and I would like very much to see an all-Ireland team

You've already got the latter (how many times need this be repeated), there's no realistic likelihod of the former in the foreseeable future. You are just daydreaming about abolishing the NI side. Stop stirring.

However we should prioritise what the goals are and the FAI and the IFA really need to start working together for the good of the sport on the island. I saw the Setanta Cup and the Carling Cup as great opportuntities for improving relations between the clubs, fans and associations

Broadly agree, but the two (and their broad supports) need to take a different approach. We shoulod stop the hysterics about a few players buggering off, you could help towards that by not selecting anyone who's already played for an NI adult team (U-19 up).

The Setanta Cup is failing. The LOI is stronger, IL teams don't take it seriously, maybe largely because of their weakness, but also as it doesn't offer enough prize money/ profile etc.?

The Carling Cup, alas, wasn't taken seriously by the Welsh fans, or really anyone in the NI set-up including manager and senior players (to the extent it wasn't really worth our entering, the bad publicity offsets any fee or TV income). The locals weren't exactly enthusing either, playing al the games in one city a bad idea. I can't see it reviving to be honest.

I can't see it being anything but a burden as Ireland's team is significantly superior to the north's

Compared competitive records since 2006 (ie including Euro 2008 qualifiers):

RoI 30- 12- 13- 5- 49 points notionally
NI 27- 11- 8- 8- 41 points

Clearly the South are better overall and on good form in this tournament; but you can see why we're both (seeded) third (rate).

In the past though it would have been a no-brainer and to think what we could have achieved is only shocking

Sorry, this is pie in the sky. You didn't qualify for a single finals until 1988, you've managed one of the last eight.Adding a couple more players to the pool is unlikely to have changed that. India, Pakistan and Indonesia have millions of players available- they've done nothing in the World Cup for decades.

Yes, as has been repeatedly stated previously, it works in other sports, so why not football?

Er, because while NI rugby and cricket fans generally (not me personally) accept there not being a full NI side in those sports, football fans have had one for a century. Why should we give it up, just to answer a few bored stirrers, daydreaming Shinners and simpletons who presumably think the combined side could field 22 players in a game. Although even then a back eight featuring McShane, Bad Evans and co. isn't likely to strike fear into strikers Worldwide...

French Toasht
18/06/2011, 5:35 PM
A bit sweeping, that. Even anecdotally I know plenty of rugby fans from NI who will watch the team in Dublin but are pretty hard-core unionists.

Not Lafferty. Though Brunt would based on his form in the EPL, probably Hughes too for one more season. Davis plays in the Champions League every season and has been SPL player of the year recently.

In fairness you don't see any of the Orange Order flags that we saw recently at the ROI V NI game or the sectarian chanting by the NI fans in the tunnel during the NI v Scotland game at rugby matches. Neither anthem would have been booed at a rugby match. Its well known the football attracts an element that I doubt have much of an interest in football and prefer to use it to spout their sectarian rubbish and that applies to both sides.

As regards NI players who'd start for us, I'd only take Davis and Evans, but I doubt Davis would get a look in in Trap's system. Brunt is good but not better than Duff.

A question for the ROI fans. Do you support NI? (when they are not playing us obviously). I gather there was great support in the 80s when they were in WCs etc. I would always have wished them the best of luck and particularly during the Stan era, when our campaign was effectively over before it started, I always looked to the NI result first after our own and their exploits against Spain etc. But to be honest the recent acrimony they have caused, the pathetic petition, the blogs, the boycotts, and just Nigel Worthington in general have really made it hard to back them. And as Danny alluded to in his article, it will only have served to make young nationalists more entrenched in their desire to play for Ireland/not represent NI.

Stuttgart88
18/06/2011, 5:35 PM
how many times need this be repeated... Stop stirring.That's a bit rich, when you still refer to "the South".

Anyway, though CR does have a history here of stirring (mainly on other matters), just because you believe we have a de facto all-Ireland team, doesn't mean that CR can't wish for an authentic one.

I personally don't think NI fans should have to give up their representative team either, but I'm not sure there are any simpletons who think there could be 22 players in an AI team. You didn't do your argument any favours by putting in such a facile point.

bennocelt
18/06/2011, 5:38 PM
Yes, as has been repeatedly stated previously, it works in other sports, so why not football?

Its a billion times different to those other sports in terms of types of fans and methods of support:(

Gather round
18/06/2011, 6:15 PM
In fairness you don't see any of the Orange Order flags that we saw recently at the ROI V NI game or the sectarian chanting by the NI fans in the tunnel during the NI v Scotland game at rugby matches

I don't think this is as siginficant as you suggest. I can't remember the last time before May that I saw OO flags at a NI game. One of the most promiment rugby fans from NI- ex MP Ken Maginnis- is a prominent member of the Royal Black Preceptory (more eccentric variant of the Order).

Its well known the football attracts an element that I doubt have much of an interest in football

I take your broad point that the bad temper at rugby union matches is usually confined on-pitch. Does RU not attract plenty of event junkies to game at Lansdowne?

As regards NI players who'd start for us, I'd only take Davis and Evans, but I doubt Davis would get a look in in Trap's system. Brunt is good but not better than Duff

Brunt's better than Duff now, if not Duff's peak. You can't really mix real and notional team selections though, can you? If Trap's granny had balls, etc.

I gather there was great support in the 80s when they were in WCs etc

Certainly was. Community relations were a lot worse than now (225 'political' murders in 1981/82, 118 in 1985/86), but of course our team was better. That may sound trite, but 343 murders obviously outrank some mad coaches/ lazy journalists/ splenetic fans ranting on the internet as an irritant.

And as Danny eluded to in his article, it will only have served to make young nationalists more entrenched in their desire to play for Ireland/not represent NI

Some young nationalists, I daresay. Others will act differently. This will blow over eventually, don't ye think?

That's a bit rich, when you still refer to "the South"

It's not in the least "rich"- I'm not suggesting the South's (which is what many people in NI, not just unionists, call it] team be abolished, as he's effectively proposing for NI's.

just because you believe we have a de facto all-Ireland team, doesn't mean that CR can't wish for an authentic one

Naughty. That there's a de facto all-Ireland team is self-evident, not just a whim of mine. It has fans and players from all over Ireland (and beyond), always has. If CR doesn't think that "authentic", that's his affair, but if he drones on about ending an NI team, do you seriously expect NI fans not to answer him?

I'm not sure there are any simpletons who think there could be 22 players in an AI team. You didn't do your argument any favours by putting in such a facile point

Er, it was a gag not meant to be taken literally: no need to be so po-faced. I'll put it slightly differently: there are indeed plenty of simpletons about who think adding two or three players from one mediocre football team to another would make the resulting new team not just marginally but massively better, pretty much by definition. They're all over the internet and phone-ins.

TrapAPony
18/06/2011, 6:44 PM
i) Yes
ii) No
iii) Yes
iv) Yes

Stuttgart88
18/06/2011, 6:46 PM
Even though I recently found out how to do it, I'm still not too adept at multi-quoting so I'll avoid doing it.

Yes, I think there are "event junkie" types at the rugby, as well as a good solid core.

wrt, the "South" (sic), just beacuse many people in NI call it that, doesn't make it right. I'm not too fussed but when you respond like you did to CR, it invites a similar response in my opinion.

Anyone here calling for a AI team would not be calling for NI's team (or ours) to be abolished, but rather for two teams to be merged. It may not have the same appeal to either set of supporters, but it would still be (officially, if not emotionally) representative of each.

Point taken about the literal gag, and agreed.

I really like Brunt btw. Duff is never fit anyway!

Gather round
18/06/2011, 6:59 PM
Anyone here calling for a AI team would not be calling for NI's team (or ours) to be abolished, but rather for two teams to be merged. It may not have the same appeal to either set of supporters, but it would still be (officially, if not emotionally) representative of each

Sorry, I don't buy that. Pretty much everybody calling for a AI team (beyond the one that already exists) quite clearly see it as

a) playing (almost) all home games in Dublin

b) retaining flags, emblems etc. of the current RoI team

c) this being formally recognised by UEFA (so that, for example, it wouldn't have to start the next tournament in seeding pot six)...

Not interested.

I really like Brunt btw. Duff is never fit anyway!

I can't see Brunt starring in the CL, t obe honest. Very skilful at English Championship or even lower-mid EPL level, but he's one-footed and one-paced.

DannyInvincible
18/06/2011, 7:59 PM
A question for the ROI fans. Do you support NI? (when they are not playing us obviously). I gather there was great support in the 80s when they were in WCs etc. I would always have wished them the best of luck and particularly during the Stan era, when our campaign was effectively over before it started, I always looked to the NI result first after our own and their exploits against Spain etc. But to be honest the recent acrimony they have caused, the pathetic petition, the blogs, the boycotts, and just Nigel Worthington in general have really made it hard to back them. And as Danny alluded to in his article, it will only have served to make young nationalists more entrenched in their desire to play for Ireland/not represent NI.

Personally, I wouldn't say I ever supported them, although I might have looked out for the odd result with a sort of 'local rivalry' type of interest, maybe akin to how I'd look out for an England result here and there or something, although I can't say I'd have been overly bothered one way or the other whether they won or lost. Naturally, I was impressed - maybe even made slightly jealous - by their scalps of Spain and England, but supporting them would never have crossed my mind. I just don't identify with what they represent.

Certainly, the whole eligibility saga hasn't helped matters since and, if anything, has left a sour taste in my mouth. If the IFA's 'Football for All' campaign was an attempt to convince nationalists that the IFA broadly understood them, making such a fuss over the whole eligibility thing has knocked that back a few steps. We have since seen the IFA's PR department enter what you might call panic mode, sending Worthington off to St. Columb's College in Derry - Darron Gibson's former school - under instruction to refer to his team as "the North of Ireland". I have little sympathy for the current situation within which the IFA finds itself.

Edit: I'm not really old enough to remember what it might have been like prior to our qualification for Euro '88 and whether greater FAI success had the effect of winning over nationalist opinion that had previously favoured the IFA, but I'm not aware of my father ever having had a soft spot for the IFA team. He is more of a GAA man, mind. One thing he did do, though, was pretty much play 'Joxer Goes to Stuttgart' on repeat in the car any time he was taking us young ones out for a drive.

geysir
18/06/2011, 8:25 PM
41% voted for a united Ireland in May this year. That's 18% behind. Not happening anytime soon.
Not much of a swing is needed.
Are you referring to The NI assembly elections?
Nationalist 40% Unionist 45% Alliance 7.5%
Alliance are known to give preference votes to Nationalists in the elections.

I'd go for sometime around 2020 for the first referendum on Irish unity and the second or third referendum 2025 - 2030 to clinch it after earnest negotiations.

So
i) Would you like to see an All-Ireland representative football team? Yes
ii) Do you think it will happen in the next 10 years? No
iii) Should players born in the north be allowed play in the FAI team? Yes

DannyInvincible
18/06/2011, 8:55 PM
I'd go for sometime around 2020 for the first referendum on Irish unity and the second or third referendum 2025 - 2030 to clinch it after earnest negotiations.

From what I understand, a second referendum would have to be at least seven years later, as per the terms of the Good Friday Agreement.

Gather round
18/06/2011, 8:57 PM
I just don't identify with what they represent

Fair enough, I'm pretty much the same from the other side.

If the IFA's 'Football for All' campaign was an attempt to convince nationalists that the IFA broadly understood them, making such a fuss over the whole eligibility thing has knocked that back a few steps

I think it was mainly an effort to be more welcoming generally, rather than a specific targetting of nationalist RoI fans. But you're right, whatever it was it's been set back.

Not much of a swing is needed

Only 9%. So unless you're imagining a massive influx of new nationalist voters, or unionists getting fed up and migrating/ abstaining/ declaring for Mad Mart and his mates, it ain't going to happen anytime soon.

Are you referring to The NI assembly elections?

Indeed. Very up to date, and the STV system makes 'tactical' voting a bit more sophisticated.

Alliance are known to give preference votes to Nationalists in the elections

Aye, they give transfers to unionists too. And of course they are much stronger in mainly unionist areas (suburban Belfast, basically) than west of the Bann. They aren't going to deliver you a united Ireland.You're still a long way behind.

I'd go for sometime around 2020 for the first referendum on Irish unity and the second or third referendum 2025 - 2030 to clinch it after earnest negotiations

Every election in NI is effectively a border poll; the nationalist share actually fell this year. The years you mention are just pipe-dreams, are they not?

ArdeeBhoy
18/06/2011, 9:11 PM
All this is 'pie-in-the sky', if not his immense girth, as our deluded rotund friend claimed, "I no longer support the North (as we're sh*t)" on at least 5-10 occasions to watch some team :rolleyes: called Ireland in their last game in Liege....

DannyInvincible
18/06/2011, 9:20 PM
All this is 'pie-in-the sky', if not his immense girth, as our deluded rotund friend claimed, "I no longer support the North (as we're sh*t)" on at least 5-10 occasions to watch some team :rolleyes: called Ireland in their last game in Liege....

Maybe I'm missing something, but did yourself and GR attend the game together in Liege? GR did say he was attending with a regular poster here. The idea of that would amuse me very much. :)

gastric
18/06/2011, 10:00 PM
Its a billion times different to those other sports in terms of types of fans and methods of support:(

Is the reason you may this statement that politics and history have alinged themselves with Northern Irish football? If so, I agree and this remains the biggest stumbling block to any idea of an all Ireland team. Personally, there are a lot of positives in the idea, but it will never occur in my lifetime.

bennocelt
18/06/2011, 10:37 PM
Is the reason you may this statement that politics and history have alinged themselves with Northern Irish football? If so, I agree and this remains the biggest stumbling block to any idea of an all Ireland team. Personally, there are a lot of positives in the idea, but it will never occur in my lifetime.

Well I was coming at it from a class thing, but I guess its the same thing anyway.

Crosby87
18/06/2011, 11:16 PM
Virtually the same conversation is going on in like 3 threads. :)
It always ends up coming down to one issue...

gastric
19/06/2011, 1:03 AM
Well I was coming at it from a class thing, but I guess its the same thing anyway.

Just on sport and being Irish, I have an interest in rugby and happily will watch Ulster anytime. The same with Rory McIllroy. I am not the slightest interested in golf, but I have found myself watching the US Open. I happily accept he is Northern Irish, and yet I feel an affinity with him as he comes from the same island as me. I don't feel any sense of politics in these sports and yet I am sure there is. In regards to the NI football team, they might as well be from outer Mongolia such is my lack of identity or feeling of affinity with them. I take more interest in the Faroes Islands due to Kerr's role there. It is pretty sad that politics, history and I hate the term, class, can create such feelings of indifference.

Gather round
19/06/2011, 5:07 AM
Maybe I'm missing something, but did yourself and GR attend the game together in Liege? GR did say he was attending with a regular poster here. The idea of that would amuse me very much. :)

Glad to help. The lunch date I mentioned before the game was with GSpain, but Messrs Ardee and Lopez also made a late decision to join the party. Enjoyable midweek break ;)

It is pretty sad that politics, history and I hate the term, class, can create such feelings of indifference

I don't see why, indifference isn't a bad thing. Even as a big sports fan you can't be interested in everything. Like you, I've no interest in golf, but found myself looking forward to the news this morning to see if McIlroy was still setting the pace. If he was just an also-ran I wouldn't have.

Colbert Report
19/06/2011, 9:11 AM
Of course all the matches would be played in Dublin. That's where our national team plays. Why would we play any matches in Belfast? We rarely play outside of Dublin.

Gather round
19/06/2011, 9:31 AM
Of course all the matches would be played in Dublin. That's where our national team plays. Why would we play any matches in Belfast? We rarely play outside of Dublin

Well at least you're honest, if absurdly unrealistic. It's a takeover, not a merger, eh?

But of course it doesn't matter whether you stick to Dublin, move round the country or play the odd game on an ice rink up-country of Saskatoon. We ain't interested in joining your football team.

PS you do realise that you've played two recent home games in Limerick, as well as others organised by the FAI in England?

ifk101
19/06/2011, 10:06 AM

It already exists. :)

See previous answer.

Of course.

See answer for question 1.

ArdeeBhoy
19/06/2011, 10:13 AM
We ain't interested in joining your football team.

Erm, we know your 'view' *, so why keep repeating it??
It won't be down to any of us, but the political machinations of FIFA.

* Despite the usual numerous contradictions & hypocrisy in the incessant replies.

And to answer the original questions, here's to a resounding Yes to all four....

Not Brazil
19/06/2011, 10:36 AM

There is one - anyone born on the island of Ireland can play for the FAI team, if they wish. Those players from Northern Ireland (or otherwise eligible to play for Northern Ireland) who choose not to play for the FAI teams, instead choosing to play for the IFA teams, should have their choice respected and upheld.

Not applicable.

Not applicable.

Nort applicable.

Not Brazil
19/06/2011, 10:42 AM
Not much of a swing is needed.
I'd go for sometime around 2020 for the first referendum on Irish unity and the second or third referendum 2025 - 2030 to clinch it after earnest negotiations

I think a big swing is needed.

You confuse aspirations with realities.

http://www.ark.ac.uk/nilt/2010/Political_Attitudes/NIRELND2.html

Anytime you want with that Border Poll.

BonnieShels
19/06/2011, 1:27 PM
i)

Nort applicable.

Is there not an 'aitch in that word normally?

dylanisgod
19/06/2011, 1:34 PM
You are just daydreaming about abolishing the NI side. Stop stirring.

This is pretty disingenuous. If an All-Ireland team were to happen, it would result in the abolition of the NI side AND the ROI side. It would be the end of two footballing identities and the start of a new one.

Why do you keep framing the argument as if it's the Republic trying to rub the North out??

Noelys Guitar
19/06/2011, 2:15 PM
1. No
2. (Sort of)
3. Yes
4. No

In answer to question two there is the possibilty there will be no NI team in ten years time. Or Scotland or Wales. There could be a UK team. With the very real possibility of no Northern Ireland born players getting into a UK squad. Might seem far fetched today but the major club sides hold the real power now. They might demand a two or even three tier system for international football (not too unlike cricket).

Crosby87
19/06/2011, 2:28 PM
PS you do realise that you've played two recent home games in Limerick, as well as others organised by the FAI in England?

Yeah but they were only friendlies. I think it would be cool if they played some qualifying games out of Dubs. Like the Italians were scared to play us so they made us travel to ****e Bari. When they are confident, they play in Roma. We could do the same. We should have made the Russkies come to Cork.

Gather round
19/06/2011, 2:33 PM
In answer to question two there is the possibilty there will be no NI team in ten years time. Or Scotland or Wales...might seem far fetched today but the major club sides hold the real power now. They might demand a two or even three tier system for international football

Do you really think Barcelona or Internazionale are that bothered whether the mass of small international sides play eight or 10 games a year? Even if they were (or if there were other factors tending to downplay international football, like smaller finals or two-stage qualifying), that doesn't mean the smaller countries will simply vote themselves out.

There could be a UK team. With the very real possibility of no Northern Ireland born players getting into a UK squad

Heh. The idea has nothing really to do with Barca or Inter etc., does it? Just that old daydream about FIFA insisting on all-British side. They aren't interested, nobody is bar stirrers on this forum and Seb Coe trying to big up his Olympic youth football tournament.

What other merged teams do you envisage- Scandinavia, Yugoslavia, Iberia, Gondwanaland?

not too unlike cricket

If you follow the Worldwide game, you'll know that in the West Indies there's much talk of doing the opposite, ie the bigger islands playing individually in international tournaments (as they do in football).

This is pretty disingenuous. If an All-Ireland team were to happen, it would result in the abolition of the NI side AND the ROI side. It would be the end of two footballing identities and the start of a new one

It wouldn't. All the RoI fans calling for it would expect it to play all its games in the RoI, surrounded by RoI symbolism and inheriting the RoI's past record (all as I explained above). It offers nothing to NI fans and you haven't got the power to enforce it. Nothing but a daydream.

Why do you keep framing the argument as if it's the Republic trying to rub the North out??

Er, because it is. Stop stirring.

I think it would be cool if they played some qualifying games out of Dubs. Like the Italians were scared to play us so they made us travel to ****e Bari. When they are confident, they play in Roma. We could do the same. We should have made the Russkies come to Cork

Limerick's stadium is fine for international friendlies, why not use it? Ditto Cork if it has the facilities. Why the problem with Bari (I've never visited)?

ArdeeBhoy
19/06/2011, 3:16 PM
See what I mean....
:rolleyes:

Crosby87
19/06/2011, 5:04 PM
I just didn't really like Bari compared to other places in Italy.

The more I think of this conversation the more I wonder if Ireland could play a home game in Belfast. I know it's a silly thing to say. I would be curious to see the reception though. It could be pretty neat. For every person on here saying no, we wouldnt want that I'm sure we could find people who live up there would be happy with that. I have to do a thing with Tony Blair for work this week, I will ask him if I get a chance. Why, I dont know. He just seems to know a lot about that kind of ****.

Murfinator
19/06/2011, 5:10 PM
1 - No
2 - No
3 - Yes
4 - No

In truth I find this board oddly obsessive about soccer in Northern Ireland and make constant comparisons and elusions towards a united team. They're a separate squad, operating in their own league with their own association. They're irrelevant to me, this country and this team. Players should have the right to declare for whichever they chose as per the good friday agreement but beyond that I'd be quite happy forgetting the NI team even existed. They're as relevant or interesting to follow as Iceland or Venezuela.

Fixer82
19/06/2011, 5:43 PM

There is one - anyone born on the island of Ireland can play for the FAI team, if they wish. Those players from Northern Ireland (or otherwise eligible to play for Northern Ireland) who choose not to play for the FAI teams, instead choosing to play for the IFA teams, should have their choice respected and upheld.

Not applicable.

Not applicable.

Not applicable.

Ulster says 'Not Applicable'