PDA

View Full Version : All-Ireland representative team survey

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Sullivinho
20/06/2011, 2:46 PM
Good post Sullivinho.

It's eloquent use of imagery successfully conveyed the central pertinent points; I especially enjoyed the poached salmon reference, and the iceberg metaphor.

I was tempted to deduct a mark for the mispelling of 'honour', but.......I let that pass. ;)

10/10.

Swing 'n a miss on 'supersede' too but I'm calling in with mondayitis. Which, continuing the theme, is also not a word. ;)

Fixer82
20/06/2011, 3:06 PM
Discomfort, Really? Personally, I see the fact that Gibson and co. don't have to dilute their nationality and settle for the representative XI of the gerrymandered jurisdiction they were born in as a cause for celebration. It makes me a little uncomfortable to see 'the likes' of Niall McGinn applying the panacea of a bowed head when required to observe an ode to his own misrepresentation when that iceberg dirges forth, Union Jack flying proudly from it's tip.

The suggestion that jurisdiction supercedes politics is the kind of convenience that sees the individual motivations of the players disregarded in many of the pieces written on the issue, clearing a path for words such as 'poached'. Whenever their motives are given print or recognition, words such as 'honor' and 'country' come to the fore rather than the jurisdictionally-compliant blubs of freshly abducted salmon.

Great post.
Are you Con Houlihan in disguise?

Stuttgart88
22/06/2011, 12:14 PM
I see the IFA (and SFA and the FAW) don't want to be part of a GB team in the Olympics. Jim Boyce says he'll discourage NI players from playing.

It reminds me a bit of Ian Paisley during the foot & mouth crisis. "Ulster beef is Irish, not British!"

Fizzer
22/06/2011, 12:36 PM
1. So bored by the constant hijacking of a football site with barely-disguised sectarian bile, tired of skipping through the infantile novellas that pose as posts, that I really couldn't give a sh1te.
2. Ditto
3. Ditto
4. Ditto

I'll leave yis to it

Sullivinho
22/06/2011, 12:57 PM
I see the IFA (and SFA and the FAW) don't want to be part of a GB team in the Olympics. Jim Boyce says he'll discourage NI players from playing.

It reminds me a bit of Ian Paisley during the foot & mouth crisis. "Ulster beef is Irish, not British!"

Strange one that. They'd have saved a fortune on flags. Her majesty won't be best pleased that some of her horses are refusing to run.

CraftyToePoke
22/06/2011, 1:03 PM
It is a strange one alright, the other three associations seem to be saying they had no part in the discussions and no intention of combining, whereas the London FA are saying something about an historic agreement having been reached to facilitate this. You couldnt make it up.

The poor old IFA, they will have to employ some extra people purely to say 'NO', between the AI and GB lobby's attempts to assimilate them.

ArdeeBhoy
22/06/2011, 1:17 PM
1. So bored by the constant hijacking of a football site with barely-disguised sectarian bile, tired of skipping through the infantile novellas that pose as posts, that I really couldn't give a sh1te.
2. Ditto
3. Ditto
4. Ditto

I'll leave yis to it
Who on here is 'sectarian' ?? Do you even know what the word means?

(Ok, know of one person from the other side who is on occasion, but the rest are anything but....)

ArdeeBhoy
22/06/2011, 1:18 PM

Sure, knowing them, they want their cake and more....

Gather round
22/06/2011, 1:18 PM
It is a strange one alright, the other three associations seem to be saying they had no part in the discussions and no intention of combining, whereas the London FA are saying something about an historic agreement having been reached to facilitate this. You couldnt make it up

You just have (OK, the English FA has). It's a dumb stunt by the BOA and EFA because ticket sales have been surprisingly low (compared with kayaking, badminton, tiddlywinks selling out).

ArdeeBhoy
22/06/2011, 1:23 PM
It's got nothing to do with the BOA/FA, just the usual paranoia.
They should grow some balls and strike out on their own if they really "don't want" :rolleyes: to be British....

CraftyToePoke
22/06/2011, 1:49 PM
You just have (OK, the English FA has). It's a dumb stunt by the BOA and EFA because ticket sales have been surprisingly low (compared with kayaking, badminton, tiddlywinks selling out).

The BBC line on it, I read about it in todays i-paper but cant find a link to that article http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olympics/london_2012/13873251.stm

This is now drifting off topic but it seems very counterproductive of the EFA to impose this or to carry on without the support of the relevant other associations surely? Where is the good in that. Or indeed if a GB side made up of English players only is where this will settle.

Gather round
22/06/2011, 2:13 PM
This is now drifting off topic but it seems very counterproductive of the EFA to impose this or to carry on without the support of the relevant other associations surely? Where is the good in that. Or indeed if a GB side made up of English players only is where this will settle

They aren't really imposing anything, just being msleading to the point of dishonesty about their supposed 'historic agreement' with the other FAs. All of whom have said that they want nothing to do with the idea, while having to acknowledge that the British side can pick any NI, Scotland or Wales players that they fancy and who agree.

I'm guessing it will be just English in the end- the non-English players will back off facing hostility from the fans.

There'll be no legal action from either the other FAs nor disgruntled players. The law ignores trivia. They wouldn't have a case.

ArdeeBhoy
22/06/2011, 2:32 PM
Do we really care, though?

Let them fester in their own colonial BS.

Fixer82
22/06/2011, 4:34 PM
2. Ditto
3. Ditto
4. Ditto

I'll leave yis to it

Hmmmm, don't see how calling for an all-inclusive All-Ireland team could be seen as sectarian

Not Brazil
23/06/2011, 8:46 AM
Hmmmm, don't see how calling for an all-inclusive All-Ireland team could be seen as sectarian

It could, however, be seen as a call for a denial of choice.

Fixer82
23/06/2011, 9:01 AM

You're not gonna draw me into this one.

Re a British Olympic soccer team...they have a British everything else in the Olympics so can't see how they could have just an English or Scottish soccer team. Surely it would HAVE to be Great Britain if they put out a soccer team. And that could include NI players unless those players opt for Ireland a la Wayne McCullough in 1992

Not Brazil
23/06/2011, 9:05 AM
Re a British Olympic soccer team...they have a British everything else in the Olympics so can't see how they could have just an English or Scottish soccer team. Surely it would HAVE to be Great Britain if they put out a soccer team.

The Olympic football team will be called "GB".

In practice, it will be dominated by English players - Bale from Wales is interested in playing.

ArdeeBhoy
23/06/2011, 10:09 AM

Would that be the same 'denial of choice' inflicted upon Ireland and numerous other countries over time?
:rolleyes:

ArdeeBhoy
23/06/2011, 10:11 AM
You're not gonna draw me into this one.

Re a British Olympic soccer team...they have a British everything else in the Olympics so can't see how they could have just an English or Scottish soccer team. Surely it would HAVE to be Great Britain if they put out a soccer team. And that could include NI players unless those players opt for Ireland a la Wayne McCullough in 1992

Worthington today has come out and said his "players are free to play for the British Olympic team".
There is however, one small problem with that scenario....

Not Brazil
23/06/2011, 12:12 PM
Would that be the same 'denial of choice' inflicted upon Ireland and numerous other countries over time?
:rolleyes:

The people of Ireland expressed their choice in 1998.

I'm talking about football - you know, the right of players born in Northern Ireland to have a choice.

Not Brazil
23/06/2011, 12:13 PM
Worthington today has come out and said his "players are free to play for the British Olympic team".
There is however, one small problem with that scenario....

Which is?

ArdeeBhoy
23/06/2011, 11:26 PM
The people of Ireland expressed their choice in 1998.

I'm talking about football - you know, the right of players born in Northern Ireland to have a choice.
And I was talking of things a little more serious about football!
Like national self-determination. Based on outside interference!

Which is?
If you can't work that out, eg. on the basis of recent statistics, then suggest you sue Methodist College....

The Fly
23/06/2011, 11:40 PM
Which is?

I take it he's referring to the improbability of any 'Northern Irish' involvement in such a side, with the possible exception of Johnny Evans.

If you can't work that out, eg. on the basis of recent statistics, then suggest you sue Methodist College....

That's crap.

ArdeeBhoy
23/06/2011, 11:47 PM
As in the Methodists weren't very good? For what it's worth, my granny was one.

The Fly
23/06/2011, 11:49 PM

I know what you meant.

I was referring to your line.

ArdeeBhoy
24/06/2011, 12:01 AM
That's grand as she was always giving out about their virtues. Then steadfastly avoiding them!

Fixer82
24/06/2011, 3:30 AM

Heard she was a cracking centre-back in her day. hard as nails!!

Not Brazil
24/06/2011, 8:46 AM

If your granny had balls, she'd have been a Presbyterian.:D

Not Brazil
24/06/2011, 8:50 AM
I take it he's referring to the improbability of any 'Northern Irish' involvement in such a side, with the possible exception of Johnny Evans.

I'd be surprised if there's more than a handful of non English in the squad tbh.

Whilst the IFA are not supportive of the "Team GB" side, they aren't going to step in the way of any player who is selected/expresses an interest in playing.

The Legend
24/06/2011, 8:11 PM
i thought in the olympics, northern ireland was represented as part of Ireland anyway. So how can they take players from there for a GB team when its not a Uk team.?

Am i missing something?

Stuttgart88
24/06/2011, 8:41 PM
As far as I know Ireland enters a 32-county team in sports where the national federation is an all-Ireland federation. If selected I think NI athletes can choose which federation to represent.

ArdeeBhoy
24/06/2011, 9:38 PM
If your granny had balls, she'd have been a Presbyterian.

She had certain faults but being a control freak wasn't one....

Not Brazil
25/06/2011, 3:10 PM
i thought in the olympics, northern ireland was represented as part of Ireland anyway. So how can they take players from there for a GB team when its not a Uk team.?

Am i missing something?

Basically, Northern Irish athletes have a choice - in light of their dual nationality.

"Team GB" is the Great Britain & Northern Ireland Oympic team - in other words, the United Kingdom team.

http://www.olympics.org.uk/teamgb/about/

The Fly
07/07/2011, 6:05 PM
Here's the headline from The Sunday Mirror on it last week:

http://s3.amazonaws.com/twitpic/photos/full/337139901.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJF3XCCKACR3QDMOA&Expires=1310062815&Signature=CLzX1lKlX5akUegc5B5prsu6AVw%3D

The Fly
07/07/2011, 6:34 PM
Oops!.....link no longer working.

DannyInvincible
07/07/2011, 7:38 PM
This the one?:

http://s3.amazonaws.com/twitpic/photos/full/337139901.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJF3XCCKACR3QDMOA&Expires=1310068271&Signature=cnUrnZub%2FSpKfwThyHzPeVTt1k4%3D

Bit of a bizarre one.

ArdeeBhoy
08/07/2011, 12:43 AM
Basically, Northern Irish athletes have a choice - in light of their dual nationality.

"Team GB" is the Great Britain & Northern Ireland Oympic team - in other words, the United Kingdom team.

Funny how the Olympic pundits never call it the latter. And in the unlikely event of any Irish athlete winning a medal, even for GB, giving them over much credit.

Gather round
08/07/2011, 6:42 AM
Funny how the Olympic pundits never call it the latter. And in the unlikely event of any Irish athlete winning a medal, even for GB, giving them over much credit

The NI athlete (cyclist actually) who won a silver for GB in Beijing got plenty of credit. She was beaten by an Englishwoman in the final.

Not Brazil
08/07/2011, 9:56 AM
The NI athlete (cyclist actually) who won a silver for GB in Beijing got plenty of credit. She was beaten by an Englishwoman in the final.

Dame Mary Peters is very well thought of around these parts.

DannyInvincible
08/07/2011, 3:11 PM
I must confess. I'd thought Peters was English. Had been aware of that Wendy Whosyerwanagain though. She's from around near Maghera, isn't she?

[DI fact]I had a cousin of mine competing in the Beijing Olympics, although it was in a different cycling event and for a different country. He finished 81st in his event, so not sure what they give out for that. Thallium, probably.[/DI fact]

Not Brazil
08/07/2011, 4:34 PM
I must confess. I'd thought Peters was English.

You're right - she was born in England. She moved to Northern Ireland as a young child.

Gather round
08/07/2011, 4:51 PM
Had been aware of that Wendy Whosyerwanagain though. She's from around near Maghera, isn't she?

Mrs Hoekvanholland is originally from Upperlands. She actually represented England in the previous Commonwealths. I understand velodrome facilities in the Magherafelt DC area are less than ideal :o

[DI fact]I had a cousin of mine competing in the Beijing Olympics, although it was in a different cycling event and for a different country. He finished 81st in his event, so not sure what they give out for that. Thallium, probably.[/DI fact]

Still a worthwhile achievement. The NI triathlete who finished well down the field (representing RoI) in her event didn't get a mention on the BBC. Which is fair enough, except an Englishwoman who finished behind her did.

CraftyToePoke
08/07/2011, 5:09 PM
The NI triathlete who finished well down the field (representing RoI) in her event didn't get a mention on the BBC. Which is fair enough, except an Englishwoman who finished behind her did.

Also, some time back a Scot won a medal in something, cant remember what, but he failed a dope test the next day, memory hazy here, sorry. But I remember a British medal in todays headlines was a Scottish cheat in tomorrows. Funny.

Edit, Baxter for skiing maybe.

DannyInvincible
08/07/2011, 5:37 PM
Mrs Hoekvanholland is originally from Upperlands. She actually represented England in the previous Commonwealths. I understand velodrome facilities in the Magherafelt DC area are less than ideal :o

I think the only thing remotely resembling a velodrome in the local vicinity would be the Swatragh livestock mart. Probably a bit compact for high-speed cycling training, mind.

Still a worthwhile achievement. The NI triathlete who finished well down the field (representing RoI) in her event didn't get a mention on the BBC. Which is fair enough, except an Englishwoman who finished behind her did.

Aye, it was actually the gruelling 239 kilometre men's cycling road race. Was an achievement to finish it at all, in fairness. 53 riders withdrew out of the 142 that started. He's from Letterkenny himself. Myself and my brother stayed up all night to watch it on Eurosport UK in Tenerife, but I don't think we even caught a glimpse of him, never mind hear a mention.

Stuttgart88
09/07/2011, 7:55 PM
Still a worthwhile achievement. The NI triathlete who finished well down the field (representing RoI) in her event didn't get a mention on the BBC. Which is fair enough, except an Englishwoman who finished behind her did.I presume you mean Emma Davis, from Bangor I think. Aileen Morrison (from Derry) is another NI woman representing Ireland and may well qualify for 2012, as might Gavin Noble from Fermanagh in the mens. The London Hyde Park ITU race at end of July is an Olympic qualifier, and will be live on BBC.

Triathlon Ireland is a 32 county NGB. I'm not sure "RoI" actually participates in the Olympics, just Ireland.