PDA

View Full Version : Seems Lizzy's on the way...

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

dahamsta
18/05/2011, 11:06 AM
I wish musicians, especially good ones, would shut their mouth over politics and current affairs. They always sound like idiots.

I don't see any good musicians in that quote, only a whiney self-obsessed little b*tch.

Hurt Locker
18/05/2011, 11:57 AM
Morrisey gets a bit heated and likens the Queen to Gadaffi: http://www.nme.com/news/morrissey/56728

The Smiths were a great band, but have made good career out of slagging off the queen going back to the 80s. Take what he says with a pinch of salt.

Real ale Madrid
18/05/2011, 12:01 PM
Is Lizzie gonna have an overpriced pint in Temple bar at any point?!

Apparently she refused a pint this morning at the Guinness Storehouse. Probably for the best seen as she's heading for croker later. I can vouch from personal experience that the toilets there aren't the greatest.

Hurt Locker
18/05/2011, 12:11 PM
The only people of any principle who stand up for what they believe in and actually get out and protest in the whole country, like the rest of the gob****es, who sit and have a crumble but do absolutely nothing as our gombeen politicians destroyed the country and sold it down the river.

I'm a republican ( people should be allowed protest) but you'd never see me roiting with that crowd yesterday.

Billsthoughts
18/05/2011, 12:17 PM
she will probably go back and tell people "dublin is dead"! Empty streets and rows of gardai in their bright yellow jackets. Cant see it being the boost for tourism it was claimed it would be. Lets hope Cork people arent as good at hide seek as the dubs.

As for the protesters they are an embarrassment. Judging by the photos, the Spar on Talbot street must have ran out of chicken fillet rolls so the scumbags had to move on for a while.

Macy
18/05/2011, 1:02 PM
People have the right to protest - it only crossed the line with the missiles etc, if that happened. Bar the obvious of protesting against the visit in British football tops, I'm not sure I'm totally comfortable with some of the commentary regarding the protesters. God forbid the working classes protest against the visit of royalty and upset their betters who are creaming themselves?

Eminence Grise
18/05/2011, 1:12 PM
The only people of any principle who stand up for what they believe in and actually get out and protest in the whole country, like the rest of the gob****es, who sit and have a crumble but do absolutely nothing as our gombeen politicians destroyed the country and sold it down the river.

Like this, do you mean?

They'll get their just desserts after the revolution, comrade.:D

dahamsta
18/05/2011, 1:30 PM

That's /exactly/ the image I had in my head when I read that post!

the 12 th man
18/05/2011, 1:56 PM
Apparently she refused a pint this morning at the Guinness Storehouse.

There were photographers present and you're not allowed film the Royals while eating or drinking,her husband looked like he would have liked to down it as he took ages to walk away from it :)

Real ale Madrid
18/05/2011, 2:15 PM
Everytime I see the Duke of Edinburgh, all I can think of is Hugh Dennis and his Voiceover on Mock the Week.

awec
18/05/2011, 3:01 PM
she will probably go back and tell people "dublin is dead"! Empty streets and rows of gardai in their bright yellow jackets. Cant see it being the boost for tourism it was claimed it would be. Lets hope Cork people arent as good at hide seek as the dubs.

As for the protesters they are an embarrassment. Judging by the photos, the Spar on Talbot street must have ran out of chicken fillet rolls so the scumbags had to move on for a while.

I always thought Cork would be more hardline republican than Dublin.

DannyInvincible
18/05/2011, 3:07 PM

Cork isn't hardline Irish republican. Cork is hardline Corkonian republican.

Apparently she refused a pint this morning at the Guinness Storehouse.

She should have been grateful. There'd have been no free pints if it was the Players Lounge in which she found herself.

awec
18/05/2011, 3:12 PM
Cork isn't hardline Irish republican. Cork is hardline Corkonian republican.

Things I'd love to do in cork include running down the street shouting that I hate hurling, running down the street shouting that i hate Roy Keane, running down the street shouting I love Mick McCarthy, questioning Corks credentials as a former European culture capital and also telling every sod I see that Munster are the luckiest rugby team about.

Oh, and after all that I'd inform them that Dublin is twice the city and is rightly the capital.

Hurt Locker
18/05/2011, 3:34 PM

Cork the rebel county! The only rebel they had they shot him! well thats what the jackeens say anyway:D;):D

dahamsta
18/05/2011, 3:49 PM
Things I'd love to do in cork include [...] running down the street shouting that i hate Roy Keane

Would you be looking for applause or something?

There's a hardcore in Cork up the northside that love the man, but most of us think he's a knacker like everyone else.

awec
18/05/2011, 3:56 PM
Would you be looking for applause or something?

There's a hardcore in Cork up the northside that love the man, but most of us think he's a knacker like everyone else.
An applause and a cup of coffee, cause I don't like tea. :D

BonnieShels
18/05/2011, 3:59 PM
Ah... the 'rebels'... some people should really check what Cork was rebelling against when they received that tag.

Hurt Locker
18/05/2011, 4:14 PM
Ah... the 'rebels'... some people should really check what Cork was rebelling against when they received that tag.

"Rebel County"

Ill give you a hint it wasn't from kissing women or drinking pints of Murphy's.

PS tell us why the dubs are called jackeens while your at it!:clap:

bennocelt
18/05/2011, 5:14 PM
All visiting heads of State on official State visits lay a wreath, Obama won't lay one next week. However this is not a normal head of State and it's not a normal wreath and it's not a normal ceremony so you know yourself that there's always a bleedin' heart republican who would have a problem with it regardless of the protocol.

ZZZZ right we get the message:(

Lim till i die
18/05/2011, 5:42 PM
"Rebel County"

Ill give you a hint it wasn't from kissing women or drinking pints of Murphy's.

Cork is called the Rebel County because of some dispute between some Lord Of The Manor and the King of England down there about five hundred flippling years ago, look it up I couldn't be arased.

PS tell us why the dubs are called jackeens while your at it!

It stems from a supposed tendency for the locals to be a bit keen to hang out the oul butchers apron aswell as the large amount of *cough* Anglo-Irish around the place.

Aside from the presence of a large anglo irish community (the parliment and most of the wealth was/is there tbf) the slur on ordinary Dubs is largely nonsense of course.

Here's a picture of Cork City during the last royal visit..........

http://www.corkpastandpresent.ie/media/kings_visit.jpg

For the record I hate both places equally.

awec
18/05/2011, 5:56 PM
Notice that Sinn Fein are the only Northern party absent from the banquet tonight. Ironic given that they are the ones that keep telling unionists that they need to move on and forget the past.

Hurt Locker
18/05/2011, 6:04 PM
Bravo rebelling against the crown!!

Well at least they don't come from a place called stab city:quiet::bigsmile:

Billsthoughts
18/05/2011, 6:33 PM
People have the right to protest - it only crossed the line with the missiles etc, if that happened. Bar the obvious of protesting against the visit in British football tops, I'm not sure I'm totally comfortable with some of the commentary regarding the protesters. God forbid the working classes protest against the visit of royalty and upset their betters who are creaming themselves?
Its nothing to do with being working class. Go down talbot st Any afternoon and you Will See What i mean. How is shouting obscenities at 86 yr old woman protesting at their betters?

BonnieShels
18/05/2011, 8:25 PM
Nice start to her speech this evening.
Anyone here when she said "i like this clinking glasses" on a Mic that was left on.

Shame SF didn't show but hey, they have been very dignified dealing with the awkward questions this week.

geysir
18/05/2011, 9:24 PM
This one of my favourite lines of arguement at the minute.
The very point is that the people of England DONT get to choose if they have a monarchy.
If the monarchy was elected it would stop being the monarchy, that is the paradox.
The monarchy is not a democratically elected institution so calling up some subjective interpretation of English support for the monarchy is irrelevant since it is not put to the people of England to decide.
Neither the elected UK parliament nor the people would choose to get rid of the monarchy, therefore it's understood that they choose to have a monarchy. Any referendum on the issue would be a foregone conclusion.

Lim till i die
18/05/2011, 11:20 PM
Notice that Sinn Fein are the only Northern party absent from the banquet tonight. Ironic given that they are the ones that keep telling unionists that they need to move on and forget the past.

There's actually been more indignation flying around today about Sinn Fein refusing a few invites than about the fact that the UDA (as in the drug dealing, ethnic cleansing supporting, Greysteel massacre doing, gave an oul hand with the Dublin-Monaghan bombings, UDA) was present and correct and hob nobbing in Islandbridge today.

I'm so happy for Ireland that we can all be so mature about this sort of thing now. :bulgy:

Well at least they don't come from a place called stab city

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Fw4BZ6O1Rrw/THKU2TJZidI/AAAAAAAAHko/AVeemhckB8E/s800/angry+computer.jpg

awec
18/05/2011, 11:22 PM
There's actually been more indignation flying around today about Sinn Fein refusing a few invites than about the fact that the UDA (as in the drug dealing, ethnic cleansing supporting, Greysteel massacre doing, gave an oul hand with the Dublin-Monaghan bombings, UDA) was present and correct and hob nobbing in Islandbridge today.

I'm so happy for Ireland that we can all be so mature about this sort of thing now. :bulgy:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Fw4BZ6O1Rrw/THKU2TJZidI/AAAAAAAAHko/AVeemhckB8E/s800/angry+computer.jpg
The UDA were there under invite from President McAleese herself. Pretty stupid that she'd invite that shower of scumbags, had me baffled.

TheBoss
18/05/2011, 11:39 PM
As mentioned earlier in the thread, the lad in the Celtic top. I think this picture sums it up.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/05/17/article-1387878-0C1D311000000578-842_634x379.jpg

awec
19/05/2011, 12:45 AM
As mentioned earlier in the thread, the lad in the Celtic top. I think this picture sums it up.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/05/17/article-1387878-0C1D311000000578-842_634x379.jpg
Protestors love a bit of irony :D :

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_OvD7y01oznw/SclohCBrE8I/AAAAAAAAD6Y/fb2XDc_7loA/s400/No+to+Foreign+Games+RSF+style.jpg

samhaydenjr
19/05/2011, 3:25 AM
I thought about Queen Elizabeth's visit earlier today and came to the realisation that it actually has been a great success and that we should have done this sooner and here's why:
We got to show that we're willing to move beyond our history and create a better future in terms of our relationship with Britain by welcoming the Queen with open arms, which is important...but we also got to put her through one heck of a guilt-trip!:
"So Ma'am, this is a memorial to the patriots who felt so strongly about the cause of freedom that they left their regular lives behind to take up arms against the might of the British Empire and were executed for their trouble"
"And here, Ma'am, is the memorial to the million plus Irish people who died in a famine caused/exacerbated by British policy in Ireland"
"And this, Ma'am, is the memorial to the tens of thousands of young Irish men who died in WW1, a war which was essentially about the competing imperial ambitions of your family and their German cousins"
"Too much misery, Ma'am? Fair enough - let's go see our largest stadium..."

SkStu
19/05/2011, 3:32 AM

Protestors love a bit of irony :

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_OvD7y01oznw/SclohCBrE8I/AAAAAAAAD6Y/fb2XDc_7loA/s400/No+to+Foreign+Games+RSF+style.jpg

or else the best football jersey related ambush marketing since Larissa Riquelme (http://us.acidcow.com/pics/20100616/paraguay_fan_larissa_riquelme_01.jpg).

Carling - laughing all the way to the bank! ;)

mypost
19/05/2011, 6:07 AM
I thought about Queen Elizabeth's visit earlier today and came to the realisation that it actually has been a great success and that we should have done this sooner and here's why:
We got to show that we're willing to move beyond our history and create a better future in terms of our relationship with Britain by welcoming the Queen with open arms, which is important...but we also got to put her through one heck of a guilt-trip!

It's been an ego trip for McAleese, it's been journo heaven for the press, it's done the Irish Government no harm.

For a lot of the rest of us, it's been a nightmare, it's cost us an enormous amount of money and manpower, not to mention inconvenience. I didn't want her in the first place, and never want to see her here again.

We'll always have our history against the Brits, that hasn't been eradicated by an 86-year old oul' wan turning up. It never will be.

BonnieShels
19/05/2011, 7:40 AM
Ah come on...

Macy
19/05/2011, 9:21 AM
Ah come on...
I agree with a sentence of that - I don't think they were honest about the disruption. They should've at least organised this for over the weekend, rather than disprupt people trying to go to work or go about business. Now whether that's the Brits, or a total overreaction by the cops, I don't know. I've no idea why they see the need to reduce the N7 to 2 lanes hours before she's even due to pass through, for example.

BonnieShels
19/05/2011, 9:25 AM
I agree with a sentence of that - I don't think they were honest about the disruption. They should've at least organised this for over the weekend, rather than disprupt people trying to go to work or go about business. Now whether that's the Brits, or a total overreaction by the cops, I don't know. I've no idea why they see the need to reduce the N7 to 2 lanes hours before she's even due to pass through, for example.

I'm with you to an extent there Macy. But there's an air of begrudgery about his initial statement.

I think the security services may have over reacted however its better safe than sorry.

Lionel Ritchie
19/05/2011, 9:43 AM
For a lot of the rest of us, it's been a nightmare, it's cost us an enormous amount of money and manpower, not to mention inconvenience. Absolutely -and that was just to SEND an act to Eurovision. Imagine what hosting it would be like?

Oh sorry ...wrong thread.

dahamsta
19/05/2011, 9:43 AM
I remain delighted that she came, I think it shows great reconciliation. If I was going to highlight anyone for acting immaturely or insensitively, it would be Sinn Féin and those Eirigi spastics. And you can hardly blame the queen for the inability of Irish governments to organise a **** up in a brewery.

On a less political note, does anyone know where I can get my hands on a pack of the bright blue bin bags McAleese was wearing? I think they'd really bring some punch to my wheelie bin.

Speaking of punches, I reckon the baldy close protection guy on the right as they came into the Mansion House could've taken the entire room Jason Statham-style and walked away without a scratch. He was like 3 SAS guys rolled into one.

Macy
19/05/2011, 9:59 AM
I'm with you to an extent there Macy. But there's an air of begrudgery about his initial statement.

I think the security services may have over reacted however its better safe than sorry.
Well it was only the statement about cost, manpower and inconvenience I was supporting. I was stuck on the Naas road this morning, with a completely empty lane coned off, and about 10 bike cops clear a path through the bumper to bumper traffic for feckin horse box! Horses are more important than the citizens of the bloody state.

If I was going to highlight anyone for acting immaturely or insensitively, it would be Sinn Féin and those Eirigi spastics. And you can hardly blame the queen for the inability of Irish governments to organise a **** up in a brewery.
Wouldn't have seen too much wrong with the shinners stance, or Eirigi tbh. As far as I'm aware, it's been the even more extreme "Republican" groups protests that have ended in trouble, rather than eirigi ones which have apparently been properly stewarded. It's perfectly legitimate to abstain, and/or protest this visit. The SF stance more akin to the majority view of "meh" regarding the visit (which would, disruption aside, be my own view).

I'm totally embarassed by the media's collective fawning over the visit, however. If we'd been given Home Rule would we even be independent now, given how easily some have slipped back into Union Flag waving mode?

Eminence Grise
19/05/2011, 11:22 AM
Horses are more important than the citizens of the bloody state.

Yeah, but when we can charge up to 20-40k to cover a female of the species, then we'll have equality with the equines!

Wolfie
19/05/2011, 12:34 PM
For a lot of the rest of us, it's been a nightmare, it's cost us an enormous amount of money..........

Britain can take it out of that 3 Billion they recently gave us to help keep the entire country afloat, eh???

Rasputin
19/05/2011, 12:35 PM
Neither the elected UK parliament nor the people would choose to get rid of the monarchy, therefore it's understood that they choose to have a monarchy. Any referendum on the issue would be a foregone conclusion.
No no they dont and never have chosen to have a monarchy, that is the point of monarchy, you DONT get a choice.
How difficult is that to comprehend?
Using the democratic will of the people to endorse the monarchy, ohh the irony.

Macy
19/05/2011, 12:38 PM
Britain can take it out of that 3 Billion they recently gave us to help keep the entire country afloat, eh???
Gave us to keep us afloat? Or gave us to sure up their banks debts in Ireland, as well as give some kind of prop to their retail outlets and other business interests in Ireland?

peadar1987
19/05/2011, 12:52 PM
No no they dont and never have chosen to have a monarchy, that is the point of monarchy, you DONT get a choice.

There's no functional difference between the situation they have now, and the situation they would be in if they had a referendum on the monarchy, and the population voted resoundingly to keep it, as all metrics indicate that they would.

Eminence Grise
19/05/2011, 12:53 PM

So remind us again, how did the British republic work out? An absolute monarch deposed for an absolute Lord Protector, deposed for a constitutional monarch. It suggests a choice at some point in British history.

Rasputin
19/05/2011, 4:05 PM
There's no functional difference between the situation they have now, and the situation they would be in if they had a referendum on the monarchy, and the population voted resoundingly to keep it, as all metrics indicate that they would.
As the metrics would indicate AT THIS POINT IN TIME.
The problem being that the Monarchy is an institution that will continue into the future without the democratic will of the people being voiced on an institution that is unnellected and largely unnacountable and still wields significant power purely based on a birth right, the idea is ridiculous, a throwback to medievel society.
Quite bizarre people on here defending the institution that is monarchy.

Rasputin
19/05/2011, 4:07 PM
So remind us again, how did the British republic work out? An absolute monarch deposed for an absolute Lord Protector, deposed for a constitutional monarch. It suggests a choice at some point in British history.
I dont see choice, just political power play at the highest levels of British society.
Yet again the British people have never had a choice on "their" monarchy.

bennocelt
19/05/2011, 5:10 PM
We got to show that we're willing to move beyond our history and create a better future in terms of our relationship with Britain by welcoming the Queen with open arms, which is important...but we also got to put her through one heck of a guilt-trip!:

Agree with most of what u said but can it really be looked on as open arms when the general public have been mostly shut out within sight of the Queen? I wouldnt be too sure of that "maturity" that the press keep going on about
As for myself, was initially against it but have to be honest the symbolism of where she has visited and the (what seems) genuine sense of respect shown by the Queen has been impressive.
Its just a pity that it cost so much, and that fool Mcaleese's ego must be massive at this stage.

bennocelt
19/05/2011, 5:16 PM

A loan with some juicy interest?:(

mypost
19/05/2011, 6:32 PM

It's not to keep the country afloat, but even if it was, it's mere pocket money to them.

Eminence Grise
19/05/2011, 8:15 PM
The problem being that the Monarchy is an institution that will continue into the future without the democratic will of the people being voiced on an institution that is unnellected and largely unnacountable and still wields significant power purely based on a birth right, the idea is ridiculous, a throwback to medievel society.
Quite bizarre people on here defending the institution that is monarchy.

Why is it bizarre? Even Arthur Griffith was a monarchist!

If as citizens of a republic (albeit a dictionary republic) and democrats, we choose to accept the system of government of a friendly sovereign nation as entirely their affair, it’s hardly bizarre behaviour on our part.

That said, I do distinguish (as I suspect most people here would) between ceremonial, virtually powerless constitutional monarchies, which describes the British and all European ones (except the Vatican, I think) and those which are absolutist, kleptocratic or oligarchic, and utterly unsupportable as forms of government.