PDA

View Full Version : Republic of Ireland V Norway - Wednesday, 17th November 2010 - Friendly

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11

Kingdom
18/11/2010, 9:48 AM
Could the emergence of Coleman, Kelly and Foley see O'Shea move back into centre half alongside Dunne?

Absolutely, and it should. Our centre half options at this stage should be Dunne & O'Shea, with Ledger next followed perhaps by Clark if he proves himself for Villa or ourselves. O'Dea is rusty and wouldn't dole out the last rites for him or anything, but he's a step back again. Kelly is not an option at centre half. Biggest loser last night was Paul McShane, as his squad place really should be gone now, with the emergence of Foley Coleman and Clark.

I dunno whether it's a lack of intelligence or just not really following the game properly, but I can never quite grasp how people struggle the notion of dropping Ledger when there is a better overall option available, yet jizz in their pants when Whelan isn't dropped. You can be dropped from the team for doing little wrong, if it's in the teams best interests.

Kelly and Foley were decent last night, and should have a battle between them over the next 6 months to see who stakes the bigger claim.

If we could uncover another left full (a fully fit Stephen O'Halloran or someone of his ilk) then we really would have good competent options right across the back 4. Ultimately it would be nice to get to a stage where if the right full gets injured or the second Cb gets injured, only one change is made, with a like for like replacement, rather than making 2 changes, and moving an established player across.

paul_oshea
18/11/2010, 10:07 AM
3 or 4 Alarming things stick out for me:

Trap only made changes because of injuries.
Trap only brought on Foley because of injury to O'dea.
Trap did not change his style for the sake of a friendly and go with the more attack minded combinations he could have.
Finally as YI said, trap appears not to take note of players playing for their clubs and their positions...does he even read the papers to find out?

Friendlies don't matter in terms of the result, they matter in terms of playing time, and finding potential first teamers for difficult/needed positions. We lost again last night, but yet Trap didn't alter our style, like he said he is willing to do, i think thats the biggest thing. We dont care about losing a friendly, but what matters is that Trap changes things to see if we can play different systems, and adapt appropriately. Did we really learn anything about what we could achieve last night? I dont think so. Other than another loss, and trap says not losing is the most important thing, for confidence, gain momentum etc. Yet we did lose, so Traps objective has not been met, on top of that we haven't altered our system/style of play,for situations where we WILL need to be able, so it has been a lose-lose scenario, a futile outcome.

Whelan impressed me with his passing believe it or not. I liked the power and directness behind some of his passing, we had not seen that before, but it proves he can do it, he also came looking for the ball more, was this against Traps advice? Fahey I thought would have done better with his passing but he hit some poor ones in fairness.

Mcgeady? Always seems to take the wrong option like going into players as opposed to away from them, he also seems to think that if he swarms players around him he creates space(which is true) but invariably he loses possession. There is absolutely no consistency in him, 1 step forward 2 steps back, 2 steps forward 1 step back, 2 steps forward 4 steps back. What did trap gain by bringing him the whole way to dublin midweek for a half?

Cunningham has proved he can pass with both feet, that is enough for me to start playing him ahead of kilbane. That is not a joke, its one attribute more than kilbane.

Long is strong, but i wouldn't be getting carried away with him yet, like some others are. He has a good bit more to prove to be honest.

Hunt/Walters/Lawrence all ok, average really, nothing to write home about apart from a few headers here and there, but never directed to irish players by walters, one cross from lawrence of note. Duff was winning ball, but his lack of pace is begining to prohibit him unfortunately still a great pressure lifter and free winner.

O'Dea/Oshea hopefully we wont see that combination together again. Kelly solid enough, but unspectacular.

Whats worrying is Trap, is getting a lot of criticism, from all angles, a lot of it is merited, thats the real problem.

ifk101
18/11/2010, 10:16 AM
I havent posted on here for ages but read regularly. However when I read the likes of this I dispair.

I'm no fan of McGeady and I wouldn't start him in a competitive game. But I'm willing to give each player the opportunity to change the opinion I've formed on them with each international they play. Like I said I saw signs of improvement but he still takes too much out of the ball. There was a moment right at the end when he had a great opportunity to play a tap in ball to give Long a shot at goal but he chose to dribble. It's frustrating but I thought over the course of the 45 mins he played, he did play some balls that were of a higher standard than what I've come to expect from him. Anyways there no need to go OTT, I don't pick the team. You'd do well to keep your despair for a more opportune time.

paul_oshea
18/11/2010, 10:16 AM
OH ya, for those who didn't see sky it was interesting to see what andrews and kilbane were saying about Long. Kinda makes sense to how his last few games have gone.

Btw foley is the only Irish player to start all games this season. Trap has not seen him play once i reckon, coleman has been playing right midfield the last 7 out of 8 games, Clark has been playing midfield. This is the problem with Trap, do we really want a manager who scans a programme or looks up a players profile on the web to find out their position and only sees them in that position? It also smacks of poor training/lack of freedom of expression for players in training, because surely he could see these attributes in training and any old fool(footballing manager or average joe playing junior football) could figure out where his best position is?

paul_oshea
18/11/2010, 10:19 AM
Could the emergence of Coleman, Kelly and Foley see O'Shea move back into centre half alongside Dunne?

Thats what im thinking and hoping. Again will Trap see it that way though? He is like the old dog with new tricks, the old hat always fits best.

IFK101 do you think Mcgeady will be 32 when he has completely improved and is the final product, except he has lost all his pace, and that is the ONLY thing that makes him stand out amongst the rest?

ifk101
18/11/2010, 10:23 AM
IFK101 do you think Mcgeady will be 32 when he has completely improved and is the final product, except he has lost all his pace, and that is the ONLY thing that makes him stand out amongst the rest?

I'm not a clairvoyant paul_oshea but I think the move to Russia has been positive for his game.

paul_oshea
18/11/2010, 10:39 AM
Earlier, in response to outrage over Coleman not getting on, I said:

Seems I wasn't far wrong. Trap values balance and consistency; when asked about it, Trap said:
“In this moment we had a good balance on the pitch. I thought we had changed many situations. The draw satisfied us because in the second half we played well.

“I wish to focus on the team,” he added when pressed again.

“I could also have left out Duff but it’s important on the pitch to have a team with balance. It’s not easy in two days to change a player’s habit. We can play with (Keith) Treacy or Coleman and another team and you could lose two or three-nil."

Pat yourself on the back predator!

"circumstances didn't dictate", what circumstances? Because it was raining and coleman would melt in the rain? Or because we had a few injuries, in a non-competitive fixture against a very mediocre side(dont give me world rankings) who were happy to just sit back all game long? Or so we might not lose? Oh wait we did?

Listen, im not that annoyed that coleman didnt play, but when i read these comments and hear what Trap says this is what pees me off and think what are people talking about? Take off traps glasses for a while and think objectively.

Predator
18/11/2010, 10:46 AM
Pat yourself on the back predator!Thanks, I'm great.

"circumstances didn't dictate", what circumstances? Because it was raining and coleman would melt in the rain? Or because we had a few injuries, in a non-competitive fixture against a very mediocre side(dont give me world rankings) who were happy to just sit back all game long? Or so we might not lose? Oh wait we did?The fact that O'Dea got injured. The fact that we conceded. In Trapattoni's mind, these are the circumstances which dictated his not handing Coleman a debut - which was simply my original suspicion.

Listen, im not that annoyed that coleman didnt play, but when i read these comments and hear what Trap says this is what pees me off and think what are people talking about? Take off traps glasses for a while and think objectively.All along I've said that I'd have liked Coleman to get a run out; I think he deserves it. All I was saying is that I understood why Trap didn't give him the chance.

tetsujin1979
18/11/2010, 10:49 AM
OH ya, for those who didn't see sky it was interesting to see what andrews and kilbane were saying about Long. Kinda makes sense to how his last few games have gone.Would be more interesting if you told us what they said?

Btw foley is the only Irish player to start all games this season.Stephen Carr at Birmingham. Also, Foley didn't start against Southend in the League Cup

Trap has not seen him play once i reckonObjection, conjecture

, coleman has been playing right midfield the last 7 out of 8 games, Clark has been playing midfield.For the first time in his career, and the manager's was forced to play him out there because of injuries. Also, irrelevant seeing as how FIFA clearance didn't come through in time for the initial squad announcement, and Clark was injured for the game anyway

This is the problem with Trap, do we really want a manager who scans a programme or looks up a players profile on the web to find out their position and only sees them in that position? It also smacks of poor training/lack of freedom of expression for players in training, because surely he could see these attributes in training and any old fool(footballing manager or average joe playing junior football) could figure out where his best position is?
Like playing O'Shea at centre half and right full? Or Keogh on the wing, and up front? Or Kelly at right full and centre half? Or Fahey on the left and in the middle? Didn't Andrews fill in at right full once for us as well under Trapattoni? Steven Reid in the centre, think he was playing right full at Blackburn at the time?

paul_oshea
18/11/2010, 10:53 AM
Thanks, I'm great.

The fact that O'Dea got injured. The fact that we conceded. In Trapattoni's mind, these are the circumstances which dictated his not handing Coleman a debut - which was simply my original suspicion.

All along I've said that I'd have liked Coleman to get a run out; I think he deserves it. All I was saying is that I understood why Trap didn't give him the chance.

Yes you are predator, is that what yer mammy told you too :D Only messin!

When you say understand do you mean empathise or sympathise? I mean do you see from a deluded point of view given we lost or what? Do you agree? Do you think it was right, again given we lost, and given we have lost most of our friendlies under trap? Do you really think the objective is being met? Cos I don't understand why Trap says these things given the objective is rarely met.

osarusan
18/11/2010, 10:57 AM
It's not really fair to argue that 'we lost anyway, so we could have played X, Y and Z.' Had Norway got their goal 4 minutes into the second half rather than 4 minutes from the end, players like Coleman might have featured as we would have been chasing the game. It's all speculation obviously, but the argument that we lost anyway fails to take into account the timing of the goal may well have had on the tactics and personnel employed before it was conceded.

paul_oshea
18/11/2010, 10:58 AM
Would be more interesting if you told us what they said?

Stephen Carr at Birmingham. Also, Foley didn't start against Southend in the League Cup
Objection, conjecture
For the first time in his career, and the manager's was forced to play him out there because of injuries. Also, irrelevant seeing as how FIFA clearance didn't come through in time for the initial squad announcement, and Clark was injured for the game anyway

Like playing O'Shea at centre half and right full? Or Keogh on the wing, and up front? Or Kelly at right full and centre half? Or Fahey on the left and in the middle? Didn't Andrews fill in at right full once for us as well under Trapattoni? Steven Reid in the centre, think he was playing right full at Blackburn at the time?

Basically that Long, has come into the squad a lot more confident and more vocal over hte last 6 months and this is showing with his game time, and his general play. That he has come of age so to speak in the last while. A change in character I suppose.

Sorry Irish International in the premiership, I should have qualified that statement.

Objection over-ruled. Its pretty clear given the evidence.

So do you think that Stephen ward being turned into a left back, means trap should only play him as a Forward?

Playing fahey in midfield appears to have come out of necessity, your point will be valid if he ever plays that position again, when we have players returned especially given he performed at least as good as green has in that position. Kelly was moved centre half because there wasn't any other option, wilson is a DM. Keogh i think has proved one of Traps little pet projects, that has gone fairly awry.

paul_oshea
18/11/2010, 11:00 AM
It's not really fair to argue that 'we lost anyway, so we could have played X, Y and Z.' Had Norway got their goal 4 minutes into the second half rather than 4 minutes from the end, players like Coleman might have featured as we would have been chasing the game. It's all speculation obviously, but the argument that we lost anyway fails to take into account the timing of the goal may well have had on the tactics and personnel employed before it was conceded.

Somewhat agreed, but when we have been losing most of our friendlies:against winning friendlies, does it really matter?

Predator
18/11/2010, 11:03 AM
When you say understand do you mean empathise or sympathise? I mean do you see from a deluded point of view given we lost or what? Do you agree? Do you think it was right, again given we lost, and given we have lost most of our friendlies under trap? Do you really think the objective is being met? Cos I don't understand why Trap says these things given the objective is rarely met.I've always expressed frustration over Trapattoni's selections and his unwillingness to take risks, but that said, I appreciate his reasoning and tend to bow down to his greater experience of management.
Last night, I was happy with the starting lineup and thought we started very well. In the second half, I thought we were very tame in comparison.
Trap went for McGeady and Walters at half time. McGeady was poor and perhaps Coleman would have been a better option, but I can't see Trap favouring Coleman on the wing. He brought on Hunt where I would have given Treacy a run. When O'Dea went off injured, I would have stuck Wilson in at CB and then perhaps have taken Kelly off for Coleman. That way, all the new guys would have got a run out.

Predator
18/11/2010, 11:11 AM
We shouldn't have been satisfied with a drawAgree 100%

paul_oshea
18/11/2010, 11:27 AM
"I had a doubt about him in this position, but he played very, very well," said the manager.

Obvious who he is talking about here, but interesting all the same, because again this would not have happened had there not being a serious amount of injuries. How many other players can we say the same for, yet look how long it took this individual to get his chance in his preferred position.

Trap has basically admitted that he got this one wrong. Hopefully now he sees that he might be getting it wrong in other areas too.

It appears now we have to wish for people to get injured to see the players we want to see.

SwanVsDalton
18/11/2010, 11:35 AM
So do you think that Stephen ward being turned into a left back, means trap should only play him as a Forward?

Stephen Ward has emerged as Prem level LB. Ciaran Clark emerged as Prem level CB who's been pushed into DM out of necessity. They don't compare.

Playing fahey in midfield appears to have come out of necessity, your point will be valid if he ever plays that position again, when we have players returned especially given he performed at least as good as green has in that position. Kelly was moved centre half because there wasn't any other option, wilson is a DM. Keogh i think has proved one of Traps little pet projects, that has gone fairly awry.

Seems fairly likely Fahey will get more CM opportunities from this (http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2010/1118/faheyk.html).

Also how can you argue in favour of playing Clark at DM but not Wilson at CB? Wilson can play CB at a pinch - rather like Clark's been playing DM for Villa. He certainly has more experience at CB than Kelly.

EDIT - Also you didn't actually address Tets' point. You said Trap sees players in one position. Tets rebuffed your argument with facts. If it's valid for you to say Fahey, Kelly, Keogh or anyone else were simply played in different positions by Trap 'out of necessity' then how can you maintain Clark, that world beating defensive midfielder, has been pushed upfield because it's actually his position?

SwanVsDalton
18/11/2010, 11:42 AM
"I had a doubt about him in this position, but he played very, very well," said the manager.

Obvious who he is talking about here, but interesting all the same, because again this would not have happened had there not being a serious amount of injuries. How many other players can we say the same for, yet look how long it took this individual to get his chance in his preferred position.

Trap has basically admitted that he got this one wrong. Hopefully now he sees that he might be getting it wrong in other areas too.

It appears now we have to wish for people to get injured to see the players we want to see.

Eh? Loads of people had doubts about Fahey at CM - personally I still do. Trap didn't have to play him CM - could've threw Wilson, Lawrence or even O'Shea in - but he did and then praised him. And you use it as a stick to beat him with? Makes no sense.

geysir
18/11/2010, 11:45 AM
I disagree that McGeady was poor. We we were poor for a long stretch in the 2nd half. McGeady lost the ball twice around the box when he had a better easier options. That apart, whenever he got on the ball, for the most part he made something happen and a few times good intelligent play.

I was impressed with Huseklepp for Norway, a striker from their domestic league. He is their 3rd choice, he is a tuned in intelligent player with a knack for scoring.

SwanVsDalton
18/11/2010, 11:47 AM
I was impressed with Huseklepp for Norway, a striker from their domestic league. He is their 3rd choice, he is a tuned in intelligent player with a knack for scoring.

Was going to mention him but didn't know how to spell it (sounded like 'Whos-a-klep'). Certainly gave O'Dea and Cunningham the run around in the second half.

paul_oshea
18/11/2010, 11:54 AM
Eh? Loads of people had doubts about Fahey at CM - personally I still do. Trap didn't have to play him CM - could've threw Wilson, Lawrence or even O'Shea in - but he did and then praised him. And you use it as a stick to beat him with? Makes no sense.

Yep, Trap has come out and played him, yet people had being saying that Faheys preferred position was CM all this time but trap never gave him a chance and proceeded to play the likes of green and gibson ahead without even giving him a go in friendlies. He has now and he has been impressed. Isn't that a bigger problem with Trap?

Wilson has been playing as a Defensive midfielder for Stoke and had been at portsmouth. This appears to be his position, we all know trap doesn't like playing people out of their position as listed. Clark has been playing at DM and not CB also, but for some reason trap only sees him as a CB. Coleman has been playing as a RMF not a FB, yet trap sees him only there. This confuses me too, what exactly is traps logic? He hasn't seen enough of any of them to say their best positions yet he makes the assumptions based on what?

Swan:I did, based on what Trap has been recorded as saying in the press what i covered above in the last paragraph.

Again you used the word emerged? So Ciaran clark cant emerge as a DM? Trap would still see him as CB? Was ward played out of necessity, or was it simply a case of Mccarthy seeing he had a left foot and ousted the current LB at the time? Im going with the same as you suggested for Clark...which is why he also played fahey in CM(again overall balance by lawrence out on the flank).

SwanVsDalton
18/11/2010, 12:29 PM
Yep, Trap has come out and played him, yet people had being saying that Faheys preferred position was CM all this time but trap never gave him a chance and proceeded to play the likes of green and gibson ahead without even giving him a go in friendlies. He has now and he has been impressed. Isn't that a bigger problem with Trap?

No I don't see the problem. Regardless of the circumstances Trap played him the position and was impressed. It's happened with quite a few other players and will happen. If the problem was as obvious as you say he wouldn't have played Fahey at CM.

Wilson has been playing as a Defensive midfielder for Stoke and had been at portsmouth. This appears to be his position, we all know trap doesn't like playing people out of their position as listed. Clark has been playing at DM and not CB also, but for some reason trap only sees him as a CB. Coleman has been playing as a RMF not a FB, yet trap sees him only there. This confuses me too, what exactly is traps logic? He hasn't seen enough of any of them to say their best positions yet he makes the assumptions based on what?

I want to put this 'Trap only sees Clark as a CB argument to bed.' You are drawing conclusions on a gentle comment Trap made after Clark had played one game in CM, where he was the defensive pivot of a midfield five. He's since gone on to play three games at CM, which is far less than the number's he played at CB. At the time Trap offered a fairly reasonable opinion, since Clark had played ONE game in a midfield vastly different midfield from Ireland's.

Having watched Clark quite a bit, I think he's bang on. Clark's done well and looks accomplished on the ball but his performances for Villa at CM are not as transferable as his performances at CB because the midfield system is so different. And, regardless of what Trap's seen, his view is far more reasonable than simply assuming Clark's a DM based off three games...:rolleyes:

But it's irrelevant - you're drawing a wildly pessimistic conclusion based on a throwaway, and very gentle, comment Trap made about Clark. It doesn't mean Clark can't prove himself a CM or Trap can't change his mind.

It's the same for Coleman. He's a player who's operated from RB most of his career. His recent performances have been very, very fine. But note David Moyes said exactly the same thing about Coleman's long term future just a month or two ago. Does this mean Moyes is inflexible? Absolutely not. And it's the same for Trap, as Tets' examples point out.

Swan:I did, based on what Trap has been recorded as saying in the press what i covered above in the last paragraph.

See above - your conclusions are wildly assumptive, based on some throwaway light comments in the press and have no statistical basis (as Tets pointed out).

Again you used the word emerged? So Ciaran clark cant emerge as a DM? Trap would still see him as CB? Was ward played out of necessity, or was it simply a case of Mccarthy seeing he had a left foot and ousted the current LB at the time? Im going with the same as you suggested for Clark...which is why he also played fahey in CM(again overall balance by lawrence out on the flank).

Of course he can emerge as a DM. Given time. Ward has proved himself, at least to McCarthy, to be a Prem standard left back. Clark hasn't proved to be a Prem standard DM. He surely can yet, but Trap was right to say what he said after Clark had played ONE game at DM. Simple.

If Fahey goes on to operate at CM at Ireland - a real possibility - will you concede Trap is more flexible than you suggest? It doesn't really matter how it came about - Trap clearly does play people in various positions (regardless of whatever he says in the media at various points in time).

tetsujin1979
18/11/2010, 12:30 PM
Objection over-ruled. Its pretty clear given the evidence.Reinstated, Trapattoni has now seen him in training. Besides, if he has never seen him play, why would he call him into the squad?

So do you think that Stephen ward being turned into a left back, means trap should only play him as a Forward?If he would only play Ward as a striker, then Cunningham would be playing as a striker, where he started his career

Playing fahey in midfield appears to have come out of necessity, your point will be valid if he ever plays that position again, when we have players returned especially given he performed at least as good as green has in that position. Kelly was moved centre half because there wasn't any other option, wilson is a DM. Keogh i think has proved one of Traps little pet projects, that has gone fairly awry.My point was that he has played players in various positions. Also, McGeady, Duff and Hunt on both wings. McGeady played through the middle at the end of the Russia game as well

Charlie Darwin
18/11/2010, 12:33 PM
That was a dreadful match overall. Norway didn't really turn up but had enough quality to score two excellent goals and go home with a win. It's very frustrating and I'm disappointed neither Coleman nor Wilson got on but I doubt it will scar either man emotionally. They'll both get their chances and become excellent players for us.

I thought Fahey struggled at times in the middle and tried some passes that were never on but nobody who watched Paul Green give the ball away 90 times against Slovakia would be too worried about that. Norway played very deep and the movement of our midfield was poor at times. I did notice that Fahey's default out ball was Cunningham which means he must trust him with the ball - I thought the two of them linked up well, albeit not under much pressure.

McGeady had a smashing 15 minutes when he came on but then faded. I didn't know where he was playing at times - he was collecting the ball from the centre halves at times, which is probably a measure of how hard he found the ball to come by. Duff looked tired and probably should have come off earlier - Doyle the same but he did go off at the right time. Kelly and Cunningham were impressive, Josh and O'Dea a little shaky. Whelan had his best game in a green shirt for some time, although again he wasn't under much pressure. Long looks like a very good player but think he needs to add more to his game to really challenge Robbie for the #10 shirt.

I did notice a distinct lack of harrying in the game.

SwanVsDalton
18/11/2010, 12:37 PM
I did notice a distinct lack of harrying in the game.

Certainly missed Paul Greens customary harrying.

paul_oshea
18/11/2010, 12:39 PM
You are purely picking one player here in Clark.

Do not suggest that my comments are assumptions based on "throw away" comments by Trap. You and I and everyone else can only judge on what we see/hear from Trap. It is 100% Fact, a word that so many like to use. WHy would people even quote him then for reference here as we do so often....thats a strange point to make, unless its a weak point to undermine my argument.

Why did it take 18 months or so then for Fahey to be tried in CM "he wouldn't have played Fahey at CM." ?

Unless trap is like Comical Ally, suggesting the allies are nowhere near and we have control or Iraq, then of course Trap is going to have to secede from his normal stubborn stance, re:fahey in midfield. It matters completely how this comes about, of course it does, because had a player been played in that position all along, we might have picked up 3 points instead of 1, and qualified. The old saying rings true, yer best players in their best positions.

Junior
18/11/2010, 12:40 PM
I disagree that McGeady was poor. We we were poor for a long stretch in the 2nd half. McGeady lost the ball twice around the box when he had a better easier options. That apart, whenever he got on the ball, for the most part he made something happen and a few times good intelligent play.

I listened to it on the radio and that would be the synopsis of McGeadys performance that the commentators came to.

paul_oshea
18/11/2010, 12:46 PM
Reinstated, Trapattoni has now seen him in training. Besides, if he has never seen him play, why would he call him into the squad?

If he would only play Ward as a striker, then Cunningham would be playing as a striker, where he started his career

Seeing someone in training is not the same as seeing anyone in a game. People playing at any level(against relative opposition) can look good in training, doing it in a game is completely different.

Ward was bought from bohemians as a striker, 20+ odd goals in over 3-4 appearances up until 21/22, cunningham is a lot younger, and been playing FB since what about 16/17 since 2007 odd? Also i thought he was more a left sided midfielder(which adds more weight) originally and not a striker, but i am open to correction.

Interesting i just saw this: http://sport.scotsman.com/football/Giovanni-Trapattoni-challenges-Greg-Cunningham.6628839.jp

Looks like trap might be taking note of what fans/media/pundits have been hoping suggesting he do for a while, and thats experiment and replace those who need replacing. Perhaps we are seeing a change in things. So long as long term doesn't mean after kilbane retires and in the near future rather than medium/long term future.

tetsujin1979
18/11/2010, 12:48 PM
You are purely picking one player here in Clark.to be fair, so are you

Why did it take 18 months or so then for Fahey to be tried in CM "he wouldn't have played Fahey at CM." ? 18 months? You do realise Fahey only made his debut in May?

Unless trap is like Comical AllyIs he Chemical Ali's Scottish cousin?

The old saying rings true, yer best players in their best positions.Then why are you suggesting Clark in CM, when he's excelled at centre half?

SwanVsDalton
18/11/2010, 12:51 PM
You are purely picking one player here in Clark.

Well it was you that kept bringing him up after it was clarified for you...

Do not suggest that my comments are assumptions based on "throw away" comments by Trap. You and I and everyone else can only judge on what we see/hear from Trap. It is 100% Fact, a word that so many like to use.

Just because it's all we have to go on doesn't mean you can't take it with 16 pinches of salt...

Why did it take 18 months or so then for Fahey to be tried in CM "he wouldn't have played Fahey at CM." ?

Unless trap is like Comical Ally, suggesting the allies are nowhere near and we have control or Iraq, then of course Trap is going to have to secede from his normal stubborn stance, re:fahey in midfield. It matters completely how this comes about, of course it does, because had a player been played in that position all along, we might have picked up 3 points instead of 1, and qualified.

More wild assumtions and guesses. If it's really just about playing Fahey at CM, and you genuinely think we'd have picked up more points with him there, fine. I disagree but that's your view. However you seemed to be holding Fahey (and Clark and Coleman) up as examples of Trap's intransigence in defining where players operate best when, clearly, he's not necessarily that stubborn.

The old saying rings true, yer best players in their best positions.

So you're happy to see Clark at CB and Coleman at RB yeah? ;)

Wolfie
18/11/2010, 12:56 PM
I'd like to see this team tried out in early 2011 - although its based on an aspiration as opposed to it ever happening, you'll understand.

Given

O'Shea
Dunne
Clarke
Cunningham

McCarthy
Whelan
Duff
Coleman

Doyle
Long

paul_oshea
18/11/2010, 12:57 PM
Comical ally -> http://www.internetweekly.org/images/information_minister_oscar.jpg tets im disappointed.

Clark/Coleman/Wilson im not picking one player. Fahey originally.

I meant since fahey basically being in the premiership with birmingham and playing.

The point was Trap saying that Clark is a CB(others as well already suggested), as though he will only consider him for that position, even though he has played 3 games in CM. How does Trap know he can or cant play in Midfield and couldn't do a job for us there? Incidentally thats why i think coleman didnt play last night as he sees him only as a FB, yet he has been excelling at RMF.

I dont have time to work and go through each player im giving one example, but with Trap its been proven that its not just one player. WHen I say "could have picked up points" of course its assumptions, against not just on one player, playing green/kilbane etc which directly cost us points before for example in kilbanes case. OF course its assumptions to assume, the same to assume that we would lost 4 - 0 if it was 11 players from the LOI, but its still credible to assume that would happen i.e. to be completely clear, playing better players over worse players generally guarantees better results.

Swan, so far id prefer to see Clark at CM for us, and Coleman at RMF as thats where they have been playing and doing decent. I cant say what they are like cos i haven't seen them in their preferred positions at youth/reserve/loi(in colemans case, rb but conceding sloppy goals at blackpool only from what ive heard again) level. However i would just like to see them play.

Brendan 82
18/11/2010, 1:02 PM
Comical ally -> http://www.internetweekly.org/images/information_minister_oscar.jpg tets im disappointed.

Clark/Coleman/Wilson im not picking one player. Fahey originally.

I meant since fahey basically being in the premiership with birmingham and playing.

The point was Trap saying that Clark is a CB(others as well already suggested), as though he will only consider him for that position, even though he has played 3 games in CM. How does Trap know he can or cant play in Midfield and couldn't do a job for us there? Incidentally thats why i think coleman didnt play last night as he sees him only as a FB, yet he has been excelling at RMF.

You make some excellent points and I believe you have highlighted the fact that Trap is not working hard enough on this team.

SwanVsDalton
18/11/2010, 1:04 PM
The point was Trap saying that Clark is a CB(others as well already suggested), as though he will only consider him for that position, even though he has played 3 games in CM.

As pointed out previously when Trap made the comment, Clark had played one game at CM.

How does Trap know he can or cant play in Midfield and couldn't do a job for us there?

As pointed out previously he didn't say he couldn't do a job in midfield. Merely that he saw his long-term future for Ireland at CB. You are interpreting this comment in a dementedly literal fashion.

paul_oshea
18/11/2010, 1:14 PM
Swan read between the lines based on comments said and what he actually does. Its not that hard and i don't want to sound like a Tw@t saying that.

I honestly think he was only ever going to bring coleman on as RB yesterday, leaving mcgeady in russia, and bringing coleman on for Lawrence in the second half, imho would have been a far better choice. There are many reasons for this not least the healthy competition in place at RB and his lack of experience in this position and mistakes at RMF are not as dangerous as those at FB. Football is simple, tactics are simple. Getting them right might be a little trickier, but any person of average intelligence can see this. Trap comes in for experience/motivation/calmness/reassurance/media management/pressure all the things a good manager (not necessarily just in football) should be, on top of the prerequisites of being able to adapt to situations/tactics/player choices.

tetsujin1979
18/11/2010, 1:17 PM
Ward was bought from bohemians as a striker, 20+ odd goals in over 3-4 appearances up until 21/22, cunningham is a lot younger, and been playing FB since what about 16/17 since 2007 odd? Also i thought he was more a left sided midfielder(which adds more weight) originally and not a striker, but i am open to correction.Actually, you're right, he did start out as a left sided midfielder, I might have been confusing him with Karl Moore, he went from striker to left mid

Comical ally -> http://www.internetweekly.org/images/information_minister_oscar.jpg tets im disappointed.Chemical Ali -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemical_Ali

Clark/Coleman/Wilson im not picking one player. Fahey originally.Who Trapattoni experimented with in the game. Also, Fahey was on the right VS Slovakia

I meant since fahey basically being in the premiership with birmingham and playing.Playing on the left wing, he's rarely played for Birmingham in the middle. Someone here made a comment along the lines of "you should try him through the middle, he's unbelieveable" when McLeish said he was delighted with his performances on the left

I dont have time to work and go through each player im giving one exampleOne example is an exception, multiple examples are proof

but with Trap its been proven that its not just one player.and I countered it more not just one player that has been played in multiple positions

Swan, so far id prefer to see Clark at CM for us, and Coleman at RMFClark ahead of Whelan/McCarthy/Meyler/Fahey/Gibson? At best he's fourth choice starting centre mid. Even at centre half he's probably fourth behind Dunne/St Ledger/O'Shea. Possibly even behind Duffy.

as thats where they have been playing and doing decent.That's what we need - "decent"

I cant say what they are like cos i haven't seen them in their preferred positions at youth/reserve/loi(in colemans case, rb but conceding sloppy goals at blackpool only from what ive heard again) level. However i would just like to see them play.I saw him for the U21s twice this year, against Armenia and Estonia. Against Armenia he was terrible, against Estonia he was untroubled.

Charlie Darwin
18/11/2010, 1:22 PM
Certainly missed Paul Greens customary harrying.
It was like watching Barcelona!

SwanVsDalton
18/11/2010, 1:24 PM
Swan read between the lines based on comments said and what he actually does. Its not that hard and i don't want to sound like a Tw@t saying that.

We have read between the lines and seen what he's actually does - and the evidence points out he is actually far more flexible than you're suggesting. Multiple examples have been provided to you.

Meanwhile you've read between the lines on two uncapped players and come to a wild conclusion based solely on what Trap has said (literally) but flying wildly in the face of what he actually does.

Maybe you should re-examine who's really being stubborn here...

paul_oshea
18/11/2010, 1:27 PM
tets i dont get this chemical ally reference. I know who he was(cant remember if he was executed yet), i think you didnt know who comical ally was, the information minister ->http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muhammad_Saeed_al-Sahhaf who basically kept denying the Allied Forces were anywhere near bagdad when they were literally dropping bombs around his head. I think he might have had a son studying in ireland at one stage actually...

Yes we definitely need decent over poor and even brutal which is what we have been getting from some in midfield. Decent would definitely do for me over some we had in positions originally.

Seriously some need to take off the Trap tinted glasses and forget about he achieved up until about 8 or 9 years ago. I know well if this was any other manager, given the overall results(not just in friendlies)/his stubborness to change tactics/formation, sticking with his same "trusted" players , etc etc they would be seeing this a lot differently.

I actually amn't gunning for his head or anythign like that, but it just riles me how naive/blind some people can be. I think so far he has done an average job, nothing spectacular nothing terrible a bit like stephen kelly. Not decent though ;)

Fixer82
18/11/2010, 1:28 PM
McGeady was awful. Tried to beat every man in front of him every time he had the ball instead of giving the pass that was on. Kept losing possession. He is one of the most frustrating players I've ever seen. He should take a leaf out of Duffer's book who very very rarely loses the ball and gets decent crosses in.

Fahey proved he is a better option than Green and much better at keeping possession even if some f his through balls did not work out.

Walters didn't show me a whole lot but would like to see him get another chance.

Long showed he is full of energy and does not possess the moaning and whinging with hands in the air that Robbie does. Maybe it's the GAA background to play the whistle and keep going no matter what...

Cunningham showed he is the natural successor to Kilbane with an excellent display

I think Joe Murphy could've got a run-out too to be fair

Adrock
18/11/2010, 1:46 PM
Agree with most the above.
Lessons for the future?
Cunningham for Kilbane, although he doesnt look any great shakes I think he already offers more than KK these days and is a more natural defender though maybe was at fault on the 2nd goal.
O'shea had best game I can remember for us. Given the emergence of Foley and Coleman in the English prem its seems natural for Josh to be moved accross to CB aside Dunne ,then we have at least four fifths of a quality rearguard.
Midfield still pretty poor, but then Norway were just as rotten in the centre of the park so more or less got away with it.
Up front was pleasantly surprised by Long and thought Walters did a good job too. I rate Doyle better but if he cant find his scoring boots at least we have a couple of other options. I was quite surprised we got that pen though as 8 or 9 times out of 10 the refs going to give that decision to the defender rather than the attacker though it probably was a foul.

geysir
18/11/2010, 1:50 PM
Norwegians are happy that Drillo can have a restful christmas period.

Drillo reckoned Ireland were better than he had thought - considering the withdrawals and did have Norway at 6s and 7s when McGeady let loose at them in that 15 minute period.
He bemoaned some poor play from Norway, at times major defensive problems, but he excused Santos for allowing Long in on a shot, in that shortly before he had been down for the count after having saved a shot from McGeady with his jewels - to a collective groan from all the compassionate males in the stands.
"Again we scored on set pieces and break. It's a trademark for us" said Drillo.

geysir
18/11/2010, 1:56 PM
I don't concur with the praise for Josh at CH. He did not command his area and looked at times to be back to his best Bambi impersonations.
He is better with Dunne, a player who will take decisive control. I think we are up shíts creek, should Dunne be injured again.

shakermaker1982
18/11/2010, 2:07 PM
Spot on Geysir.

To be fair I don't rate O'Shea at centre back anyway. Too timid and prone to lapses in concentration. St Ledger/Dunne works fine and for me is our best CB pairing. O'Shea wouldn't be getting in my time just because he plays for Man Utd.....if Cunningham and Foley can nail down places in the team then I would leave out O'Shea.

O'Dea on last nights evidence isn't good enough as back up so hopefully we will get to see Clark tried out there next year.

Brendan 82
18/11/2010, 2:46 PM
To say that Fahey plays left midfield for Birmingham is a bit misleading. He plays on the left side of a very tight midfield threesome. He is right footed and often comes inside onto his right to look for a pass, ending up quite centrally. Barry Ferguson is the Centre mid man there @ Birmingham. No doubt about that but Fahey is not playing a wingers role, or anything of the sort. He is keeping some good players out of that team too...Michel, Hleb, Bowyer, etc. Impressive stuff by Fahey

tetsujin1979
18/11/2010, 2:59 PM
tets i dont get this chemical ally reference. I know who he was(cant remember if he was executed yet), i think you didnt know who comical ally was, the information minister ->http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muhammad_Saeed_al-Sahhaf who basically kept denying the Allied Forces were anywhere near bagdad when they were literally dropping bombs around his head. I think he might have had a son studying in ireland at one stage actually...

Clearly, I do know who he is. Did you click this link?

Chemical Ali -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemical_Ali

osarusan
18/11/2010, 6:13 PM
Comical Ali (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muhammad_Saeed_al-Sahhaf) and Chemical Ali (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ali_Hassan_al-Majid) are not the same person. Not sure if ye are aware of this already, but it's of paramount importance to the Norway friendly.

tricky_colour
18/11/2010, 6:13 PM
Lads, anyone record the game who can upload it? In India so the time difference was too much to stay up for it. Would appreciate it! Sounds from the post-match reaction that a Whelan-Fahey midfield could be the future

The game seems to be here, I'm downloading the first half right now, in fact it has just finished.
Seems reasonable quality considering the file size is less then 600mb in total.

http://www.asiaplatetv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2473

geysir
18/11/2010, 6:41 PM
And don't forget to leave your thanks to the user who took the time to upload it.

theworm2345
18/11/2010, 7:53 PM
And don't forget to leave your thanks to the user who took the time to upload it.
No, feel free to, that guy seems to have stolen it without giving credit from wigan88 who posted it at Maxxed