PDA

View Full Version : For or Aganist Winter Football

Pages : [1] 2 3

A face
29/10/2010, 11:49 AM
Simple question .... Are you For or Against a return to Winter Football?

Mr A
29/10/2010, 11:50 AM
I think we should have a 'Meh' option.

Real ale Madrid
29/10/2010, 11:58 AM

Why are you so against Winter soccer face?
You didn't really say why on the other thread, except to say that " its not good enough "

And to use your own words again:

And i'm not on about a vote or motion put forward, i'm on about a reasoned logical rational as to what the short term, mid term and long term advantages and disadvantages. Some measurables would be good.

I'm for summer myself - but its a much of a muchness with me. I'd go regardless.

OneRedArmy
29/10/2010, 12:19 PM
I'll go as much as I can in whatever season, but Bray is hard enough to stomach in the "summer" never mind winter....

Marginally better weather, better pitches and better chance at European progression in summer season swings it for me.

But I'd much prefer clubs diverted their energy into sorting out the structural problems in the League, e.g. marketing, facilities etc.

Real ale Madrid
29/10/2010, 12:27 PM
I said it in the other thread - but the leauge is too long for a country of this size if we want to get bigger crowds. We are asking too much of the casual fan. Fewer games means the games that do take place are more improtant.

Every single City game i ever went to that had a big crowd was an important game, regardless of the time of year, be it a champs league qualifier in July or the 2nd leg of a league cup final in the week between x-mas and new years day.

The powers that run this league need to come up with a way to make the league important again. What season it predominantly takes place in is largely irrelevant, the 14 page discussion on the other thread merely proves that.

Spudulika
29/10/2010, 12:45 PM
I'm with ORA as I think it's the general feeling, while RaM has a very, very good point - the season is too long. But until the administrative powers come up with a way to reduce game loads then we're stuck. Would a April-October league work?

A face
29/10/2010, 1:25 PM
Why are you so against Winter soccer face?

In work so in short ... I think it will really affect the game/attendances in a dramatic way but aside from that i primarily think i cant see it improving the situation in the league attendance wise, there is nothing to suggest it possibly will, and there is no arguement out there for it that has any sort of credibility that i can see (and if there is and it proves me wrong then i'm all ears, i mightn't feel so bad about it then) so with that in mind, why change ..... it is perfectly fine on this side of the calendar. Leave well alone and start looking at other ways of giving value to punters and improving the way the game is being run in the country.

I think that the league and clubs need to cop on, stop wasting time, effort and money in doing this and get on with fixing the league. It is bordering on negligence and mismanagement in even entertaining it because there will be now benefit or reward to it.

http://www.lwvprintworksfc.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/SoccerRain.jpg

pineapple stu
29/10/2010, 1:28 PM
I'd prefer a winter season, but I don't agree with moving to winter just for the sake of it. So assuming the question is purely about what I'd like and nuts to everyone else, I've gone for winter.

marinobohs
29/10/2010, 1:36 PM
Preferred winter season myself to be honest but not hung up either way (probobly just more used to traditional winter season). Think there are more distractions to match attendance with summer season but cant argue with point about some grounds acting as a deterrent to football in winter.

Dont see that success in europe has helped the LOI or individual clubs to any great extent so dont think it should be a factor in the decision. If there was any sort of direct correlation between crowds and winter/summer football that would decide it for me but have never seen convincing evidence either way.

redobit
29/10/2010, 2:05 PM
I'll go either way but whatever about what us the fans think, it is significant that the majority of the clubs that have voted for a return to winter football.

Straightstory
29/10/2010, 2:11 PM
Against. It's wet and windy outside as I write. Glad I'm not going to a game tonight...

Rasputin
29/10/2010, 2:33 PM
I dont think either season has any major impact on attendances.
So thats why im voting for Winter, games under the floodlights in the cold are just better.

dfx-
29/10/2010, 2:44 PM
There's nothing really to consider, no to winter football.

OneRedArmy
29/10/2010, 2:46 PM
Against. It's wet and windy outside as I write. Glad I'm not going to a game tonight...Do you make every decision on one data point?

SkStu
29/10/2010, 2:56 PM
return to winter football for me. I only really get home every 2nd Christmas. Purely selfish decision - but the right one.

OneForTheFuture
29/10/2010, 2:58 PM
Against. It's wet and windy outside as I write. Glad I'm not going to a game tonight...

A poem by Straightstory 2010

Fivesilver
29/10/2010, 2:59 PM
Initially I was dead against - then I looked at it again and realised it wasn't about having Richie Winter involved in football.

Guitd
29/10/2010, 3:29 PM
pic of football in july last year --------------winter for me its football season all over europe

http://www.lwvprintworksfc.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/SoccerRain.jpg

OneRedArmy
29/10/2010, 7:08 PM
winter for me its football season all over europeapart from the large swathes of the continent where it isn't.....

SwanVsDalton
29/10/2010, 10:23 PM
Voted summer - but as ORA said it doesn't make a whole heap of differerence without the actual changes required.

oriel
30/10/2010, 10:41 PM
When this first came to light, I was thinking a return to winter would be my choice, then i got thinking, sitting in oriel parl, every second week from nov to end of feb, 4 full months of bad weather, if its not raining and dull, its foggy, then it freezes, and we are at games at night time, so i changed my mind, but offer a new choice.

A 16 team Premier Div, starting in April, and having a much later 2 week break in July maybe.

My change of mind was based on one really stand out game, Bohs at home i think, a rare win, walking into the town centre, the smell of the harp lager brewery in the summer air, wearing a t shirt, still bright, a few pints, and still nice and warm on the way home.

What more could you want as a football fan ?

mypost
31/10/2010, 1:49 AM
I'll go either way but whatever about what us the fans think, it is significant that the majority of the clubs that have voted for a return to winter football.

Summer v Winter poll No. 173:

But it's still Summer no brainer.

DaveyCakes
31/10/2010, 1:41 PM
Winter. I play cricket in the summer so I don't get to many matches

legendz
31/10/2010, 3:33 PM
I've decided I'd be for the move back to winter football though I'm not confident it will happen and can't see it having much of a change on the top 2 tiers. I'm looking at it from the view point of the interim league that is the A Championship. In terms of attracting new clubs and ease of falling back to Provincial Senior or District leagues, a winter season would work best.

culloty82
31/10/2010, 4:39 PM
I'd agree that there should be a pyramid eventually, but there wouldn't be enough teams to keep the A Championship going if the restructuring gets the go-ahead.

legendz
31/10/2010, 5:08 PM
The A Championship 2010 had 18 clubs involved, 13 reserve and 5 first-team. If the Premier is expanded to 16 and having a A club is still part of the licensing, the A Championship will automatically have 16 clubs at least.

Macy
01/11/2010, 8:34 AM
I'm probably not as much as a winter football zealot as I come across on here.

There's no evidence that the move has had any positive tangible impact (since the FAI don't have or won't publish figures such as attendances), so we can only go on the wishy washy arguments that were used to justify the move in the first place, which by my reckoning makes the move a fail.

btw, the only poll that would matter would be one of people in grounds - most loi supporters aren't online.

pineapple stu
01/11/2010, 9:06 AM
btw, the only poll that would matter would be one of people in grounds - most loi supporters aren't online.
I'd be as interested in people not in the grounds.

BonnieShels
01/11/2010, 10:17 AM
I'm worried that the problems our league has will be shifted to a choice between winter or summer.
I prefer summer by a long shot but I have to say that I'll be there either way.
We have bigger problems re league organisation and that's what needs to be looked at.
The winter v summer debate can be decided thereafter.

Macy
01/11/2010, 11:01 AM
I'd be as interested in people not in the grounds.
Fair point, but as an addition. If the contention is that a move back will mean current attenders won't go, then you'd need an analysis of supporters at grounds to establish that.

RahenyBohs
01/11/2010, 4:50 PM
Definitely for as long as we don't get snowy Januarys every year otherwise a no no. The disruption last year with the snow would have put the league off for a month and would have caused huge disruption

GUFCghost
03/11/2010, 3:06 PM
Winter,the league is up against far to much during the summer.
E.G in Galway during summer we have the arts festival,the races and various other things to compete with.

GUFCghost
03/11/2010, 3:07 PM
Definitely for as long as we don't get snowy Januarys every year otherwise a no no. The disruption last year with the snow would have put the league off for a month and would have caused huge disruption

Clubs would have to get of there asses and clear the pitch!!!!!

marinobohs
03/11/2010, 3:35 PM
Clubs would have to get of there asses and clear the pitch!!!!!

To be fair last winter would have decemated the fixture list > huge backlog > midweek matches for months > at least 345 page thread on FOOT.IE calling for return to summer football and bias in favour of Bohs, shams (delete/insert as appropriate) by FAI in resheduling :rolleyes:.
Improved pitches allowing improved style of play (for those wishing to avail of it) is currently a big plus for me. With most clubs scaling back on expenditure I suspect less will be available for groundstaff etc so winter football could see a return to the quagmires of old.

Fivesilver
03/11/2010, 4:47 PM
Winter. I play cricket in the summer so I don't get to many matches

See? There's another huge untapped market. It's not just our housewives, you know.

GUFCghost
03/11/2010, 9:42 PM
To be fair last winter would have decemated the fixture list > huge backlog > midweek matches for months > at least 345 page thread on FOOT.IE calling for return to summer football and bias in favour of Bohs, shams (delete/insert as appropriate) by FAI in resheduling :rolleyes:.
Improved pitches allowing improved style of play (for those wishing to avail of it) is currently a big plus for me. With most clubs scaling back on expenditure I suspect less will be available for groundstaff etc so winter football could see a return to the quagmires of old.

That weather is not normal though.

Jofspring
03/11/2010, 10:37 PM
I'm easy enough either way to be honest. Once there is a Limerick FC match to go down and watch i'm happy. I don't think changing to winter football will add more to the gates but i don't think it will really deplete them either. Some clubs may be affected by the drop in the casual fans alright. It might be grand in the likes of Tallaght Stadium and Dalymount in the bad weather but Jackman Park when its ****ing rain and freezing cold ain't the best place to be standing totally exposed to the elements. I can only imagine what Drom would be like.

gael353
03/11/2010, 10:42 PM
the under 19s (or will they still be stuck in 20s) wil be a winter league next year. Running on a national comp format over 28 weeks :)

marinobohs
04/11/2010, 10:34 AM
Can remember a game at Dalymont many moons ago where the hailstones were so bad that the ref took the players off for about 10 minutes - "customers" left to stand/sit around until game resumed (was in the old school end so could not even go to the bar).

Also recall soakings at away sections (especially Flancare and Carlisle) where it seemed to take days to dry out :rolleyes:

On mature recollection I think I will decamp to the summer football side !

KevB76
05/11/2010, 12:03 PM
the under 19s (or will they still be stuck in 20s) wil be a winter league next year. Running on a national comp format over 28 weeks :)

Great so us volunteers will have no break at all the whole year round :(

passerrby
05/11/2010, 12:49 PM
reasons for summer football
1 better pitches
2.better football
3 less brass monkeys
4.no cancelled games.
5. better euro results (i think)

reasons for winter football
less things to distract fans away from games (I dont think so).

A face
13/11/2010, 10:19 AM
There still have not been any real decent and meaningful argument in favour of winter football. Its alarming that this is actually the case, that it possible will come to pass and that there is completely no justification for it.

If the FAI let this happen then they deserve everything they get.

Mr A
13/11/2010, 10:45 AM
So the fact that it worked fine for decades, and does so all over Europe isn't a decent and meaningful argument?

hedderman
13/11/2010, 11:14 AM
So the fact that it worked fine for decades, and does so all over Europe isn't a decent and meaningful argument?

Yeah, it's a good argument.

Has the standard of pitches improved significantly in summer football? I only started following the league after summer football was introduced but you would think that it is much easier to keep the pitches in good condition with summer football.

Macy
13/11/2010, 12:30 PM
Has the standard of pitches improved significantly in summer football? I only started following the league after summer football was introduced but you would think that it is much easier to keep the pitches in good condition with summer football.
That's open to question, certainly in the longer term - there isn't much opportunity for pitch renewal over the winter months, and little opportunity for bigger jobs such as drainage.

Sam_Heggy
13/11/2010, 1:42 PM
Spoke to our groundsman about it, he said the standard of pitches would be no problem if clubs invested in their pitches. He admits that the pitches have all improved with summer football but as a supporter he is a major fan of Winter football.

legendz
13/11/2010, 1:56 PM
I've gone to rugby and gaelic games in the winter so would not have a problem going to Association Football games in the winter. Clubs have to look at investing in their pitches at some stage and if they do, winter football should not be that much of a problem. If the season was to start around mid-July, April - July should be a good time of year to work on pitches.

MMVIII
13/11/2010, 7:58 PM
I've gone to rugby and gaelic games in the winter so would not have a problem going to Association Football games in the winter. Clubs have to look at investing in their pitches at some stage and if they do, winter football should not be that much of a problem. If the season was to start around mid-July, April - July should be a good time of year to work on pitches.

Association football? My god.

peadar1987
13/11/2010, 11:35 PM
Association football? My god.

Ah cut him some shlack, he is from Kerry!

mypost
14/11/2010, 2:35 AM
You'll get roughly the same crowds either way. The debate shouldn't be about winter v summer, it should be about ko times.

If you want football on a dark June/July evening, put the ko time back half an hour, let people come home from work/college and give them time to get to the game in comfort, or better still play on a (revolutionary idea of course) family-friendly weekend day, like everywhere, and I mean everywhere else. Don't put live tv games on, when the target audience is out watching their own team playing. Don't let it compete with egg-chasing, horse fairs, car boot sales and other competing attractions down the road. In Europe, the areas around stadiums are packed 3-4 hours before ko, not 5 minutes as is the usual case here.

In short, cater for your customers, not your employees. That's what usually works in other businesses, and helps to make them profitable and sustainable.