PDA

View Full Version : Epl 2010/11

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

shakermaker1982
13/08/2010, 4:15 PM
I've not seen a thread put up yet so I thought I'd get the ball rolling.

Champions: Man Utd
2nd: Man City
3rd: Arsenal
4th: Chelsea

Relegated

Blackpool
WBA
Wigan

Top goalscorer - Rooney
Signing of the summer - Hernandez

I'm expecting Man City to crack the top 4 this season. Mancini has strengthened the defence and Yaya Toure should paper over any cracks. If Liverpool could keep Torres fit for the season then they'll make the top 4 but I doubt this will happen. Spurs haven't improved on the squad (so far which is unlike bent arry) and Champions League football will be a distraction.

Man Utd to win the league. There is no chance on earth they'll have as many injuries as they had last season this time around. Hernandez will hopefully be given his chance to shine early on and he should bag a few goals this summer.

shakermaker1982
14/08/2010, 10:27 PM
I cannot believe I backed Wigan to win today.....fair play to Blackpool.

Chelsea battered a newly promoted team in shock horror. Lampard and Terry with big smiles on their faces :( you weren't laughing back in June!

Ciaran W
15/08/2010, 3:16 PM
F*ck the premiership !

De Town
15/08/2010, 3:59 PM
F*ck the premiership !

Spanner. If you're not interested in the Premiership then stay out of the thread instead of making stupid comments like the one above.

Anyway, good to see Joe Cole earned his 100k this week.

shakermaker1982
15/08/2010, 6:56 PM
Same old Arsenal it seems when you put a well drilled team in front of em. Wilshere and Diaby were muck. If you slow things down then it gives the other team a chance to reset.

Joe Cole deserved a red. Forest-Leeds was a much better game if anybody caught it?

shakermaker1982
15/08/2010, 6:57 PM
F*ck the premiership !

**** off out of the thread then!!!!

Stevo Da Gull
16/08/2010, 9:35 PM
Forest-Leeds was a much better game if anybody caught it?

Didn't catch it but, to be fair, most of the weekends games were probably better than the Liverpool-Arsenal match. I'm absolutely raging that I didn't put my money where my mouth was and put money on the Spurs-City and 'Pool-Arsenal matches to be draws! Nobody would be willing to take a bit of extra risk on the opening day against a rival, especially with this season expected to be tight with regards to the battle for the Champions League places.

I know that keepers aren't supposed to be beaten at their near posts, but does anybody else think that Ngog's goal was just class, rather than an error on Almunia's behalf?

DeLorean
17/08/2010, 10:57 AM
Nobody would be willing to take a bit of extra risk on the opening day against a rival

To be fair Spurs took plenty of extra risks to beat City. They absolutely battered them in the first half. Bale has turned into some player, top class.

I know that keepers aren't supposed to be beaten at their near posts, but does anybody else think that Ngog's goal was just class, rather than an error on Almunia's behalf?

Maybe Almunia could have done better but wouldn't blame him too much. Great strike.

shakermaker1982
17/08/2010, 11:21 AM
I was at OT last night. Scholes was excellent again (MOM two weeks running) and Berbatov impressed. Newcastle did ok until the goal but lacked ambition. Routledge was decent and should do some damage against the lesser sides.

Ciaran W
21/08/2010, 4:33 PM
F*cking Everton lost me ?2000 :@

OwlsFan
23/08/2010, 9:32 AM
Top 3 after only two games: Chelsea, Arsenal and Man U!!

Some thrashing handed out to Villa by Newcastle.

shakermaker1982
24/08/2010, 6:32 AM
Liverpool need some wingers. Man City big weakness last night was at FB and they couldn't exploit it. Adam Johnson played well. Can they compete for the title?

DeLorean
24/08/2010, 3:52 PM
Adam Johnson looks a really good player, although I didn't see the game last night. England would be far better with himself and Tom Huddlestone in their midfield. Suppose Huddlestone doesn't run around like a headless chicken, getting nowhere near the ball, so that'll probably count against him.

City have to be taken pretty seriously I suppose seeing as their the only ones spending big. If it wasn't for a load of stupid draws early last season they could have been in contention then. They did well against the big sides too, United and Spurs apart.

Closed Account 2
04/09/2010, 12:59 AM
Truth hurts...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fulsHPpBr1U

OwlsFan
06/09/2010, 10:23 AM
Houllier for Villa? Another recycled manager living on past glories. There is a wad of them around. It seems to be a merry go round with the odd one falling off and the odd one stepping on.

superfrank
06/09/2010, 11:17 AM
He's hardly living off past glories anymore. In his last job, he won the league two years in a row. He could only take Lyon to the quarter-finals of the CL but it's only been last year that they've gone further. I rate him highly as a manager and I imagine there won't be as much expectation as there was at Liverpool.

OwlsFan
08/09/2010, 5:17 PM
He's hardly living off past glories anymore. In his last job, he won the league two years in a row. He could only take Lyon to the quarter-finals of the CL but it's only been last year that they've gone further. I rate him highly as a manager and I imagine there won't be as much expectation as there was at Liverpool.

Hadn't they won the league two years previous before that without him?

PaulB
30/09/2010, 7:09 AM
Does anyone know when Januarys fixtures will be confirmed ? Want to bring the nipper over to see a game, but don't want to book anything till fixture data and times confirmed..

CHeers

shakermaker1982
03/10/2010, 8:19 PM
Where are all the Liverpool fans? :) Great result for Blackpool.

Just reading a few comments on RAWK (Liverpool forum) and it's hilarious. It seems Hodgson has to go.....

KK77
04/10/2010, 9:35 AM
Where are all the Liverpool fans? :) Great result for Blackpool.

Just reading a few comments on RAWK (Liverpool forum) and it's hilarious. It seems Hodgson has to go.....

I suppose that's peoples opinions which they are entitled to. I wouldn't be calling for his head myself but cards on the table the first seven games have been nothing sort of depressing. A likely defeat in two weeks to Everton and he will be under serious pressure. He's to cautious for my liking and even at this early stage i would have expected something more positive from an attacking perspective. The owners can't be blamed either because that wasn't allowed last season!!!!!

DeLorean
04/10/2010, 3:18 PM
Too cautious for your liking? I honestly think that is hilarious seeing as you defended Benitez to the last, and he is probably the most cautious manager in the game. To be fair to Hodgson he is working with the mess that Benitez left, a team in complete decline as last seasons 7th place would testify, having finished 2nd the year before. Of course people are entitled to their opinions, but that doesn't change the fact that there are millions of muppets out there, and anyone that wants a manager sacked after seven matches is a complete muppet.

Closed Account 2
05/10/2010, 9:26 AM
I think it's harsh to blame Hodgson, he has no financial backing, the team is significantly weaker than say 2 years ago (no Alonso, no Hyppia, no Arbeloa, no Mascherano) players like Gerrard, Carragher etc are that bit older.

There is obviously some sort of morbid atmosphere at the club and you can't really blame the new manager, Kenny Dalglish hanging around muttering about how he would have taken the job probably doesn't help. I think a lot of the blame lies with Benitez, his bungled idea of selling Alonso and replacing him with Gareth Barry (ffs?) started this decline. Alonso had a good season after that but he always knew his future was away from Liverpool and ended up at Real. I don't know what Benitez was doing with the whole Robbie Keane thing, he apparently didn't want him, but he didn't give him a chance, instead he would bring on wasters like El Zahar, Babel, etc.

He let too many of the seasoned pros leave. For instance Hyppia (again spectacularly badly handled by Benitez who left him out of the CL squad) was farmed out to Leverkusen, where last year he was exceptional - Liverpool would be in a much better situation if they had him to call on as a back up for an erratic Carragher or an unconvincing Kyrgiatos...

KK77
05/10/2010, 9:30 AM
Too cautious for your liking? I honestly think that is hilarious seeing as you defended Benitez to the last, and he is probably the most cautious manager in the game. To be fair to Hodgson he is working with the mess that Benitez left, a team in complete decline as last seasons 7th place would testify, having finished 2nd the year before. Of course people are entitled to their opinions, but that doesn't change the fact that there are millions of muppets out there, and anyone that wants a manager sacked after seven matches is a complete muppet.

I agree barstoolers the majority of them!

KK77
05/10/2010, 9:46 AM
Good win even if expected for Chelsea on Sunday. Crucial with City winning earlier in the day. They 3 or 4 clear of City?

Closed Account 2
05/10/2010, 11:39 AM
4 points (18 versus 14), in effect it's like 5 points as Chelsea have a massive goal difference advantage (+21 vs +6)... Villa v Chelsea in 10 days time (and Blackpool v Man City), then after that Chelsea v Wolves, City v Arsenal you'd have to think if the gap grows over the next two fixtures it will be hard for City to claw it back.

Stevo Da Gull
05/10/2010, 12:17 PM
I think it's harsh to blame Hodgson, he has no financial backing, the team is significantly weaker than say 2 years ago (no Alonso, no Hyppia, no Arbeloa, no Mascherano) ...

Agree 100%. Players like those mentioned were a huge part of the team and are incredibly tough to replace. Simply put, they haven't been replaced. I'm a fan of Agger and Carragher but I think they could have really done with Hyypia last season. Alonso is a touch of class and the midfield became Gerrard reliant, as far as forward passing goes, when he left.

The same could be said of Arsenal. While Van Persie, Fabregas, Nasri, Vermaelen and a couple of others look like top drawer players. You can't help but think that, especially given how injury prone RVP is, this team is weak compared to a team with Bergkamp, Henry, Pires, Ljungberg, Toure, Cole etc. Arsenal still play with the same style, but the players aren't as good. That said, Arsenal's strongest 11 is an amazing team, but how many games in a season will their strongest 11 be available?

KK77
06/10/2010, 9:34 AM
Liverpool Football Club today announces that the Board has agreed the sale of the Club to New England Sports Ventures (NESV).

New England Sports Ventures currently owns a portfolio of companies including the Boston Red Sox, New England Sports Network, Fenway Sports Group and Roush Fenway Racing.

Martin Broughton, Liverpool FC Chairman, said:

"I am delighted that we have been able to successfully conclude the sale process which has been thorough and extensive. The Board decided to accept NESV's proposal on the basis that it best met the criteria we set out originally for a suitable new owner. NESV's philosophy is all about winning and they have fully demonstrated that at Red Sox.

"We've met them in Boston, London and Liverpool over several weeks and I am immensely impressed with what they have achieved and with their vision for Liverpool Football Club.

"By removing the burden of acquisition debt, this offer allows us to focus on investment in the team. I am only disappointed that the owners have tried everything to prevent the deal from happening and that we need to go through legal proceedings in order to complete the sale."

Note to editors:

The sale is conditional on Premier League approval, resolution of the dispute concerning Board membership and other matters

Razors left peg
06/10/2010, 11:56 AM
Liverpool Football Club today announces that the Board has agreed the sale of the Club to New England Sports Ventures (NESV).

New England Sports Ventures currently owns a portfolio of companies including the Boston Red Sox, New England Sports Network, Fenway Sports Group and Roush Fenway Racing.

Martin Broughton, Liverpool FC Chairman, said:

"I am delighted that we have been able to successfully conclude the sale process which has been thorough and extensive. The Board decided to accept NESV's proposal on the basis that it best met the criteria we set out originally for a suitable new owner. NESV's philosophy is all about winning and they have fully demonstrated that at Red Sox.

"We've met them in Boston, London and Liverpool over several weeks and I am immensely impressed with what they have achieved and with their vision for Liverpool Football Club.

"By removing the burden of acquisition debt, this offer allows us to focus on investment in the team. I am only disappointed that the owners have tried everything to prevent the deal from happening and that we need to go through legal proceedings in order to complete the sale."

Note to editors:

The sale is conditional on Premier League approval, resolution of the dispute concerning Board membership and other matters

Personally I think this is a takeover engineered by the Green Party so the Liverpool fans dont damage the enviroment throwing away all their "yanks Out " signs

superfrank
07/10/2010, 4:15 PM
Hadn't they won the league two years previous before that without him?
I think they'd won it the four years before he came in but, as you can see in the last two seasons, success isn't guaranteed for them, regardless of them being far and away the financially strongest club in that league.

gaiscíoch
07/10/2010, 10:33 PM
I think they'd won it the four years before he came in but, as you can see in the last two seasons, success isn't guaranteed for them, regardless of them being far and away the financially strongest club in that league.

He did do a good job while he was there but look at the players they have sold.
Coupet, Abidal, Cacapa, Juninho Pernambucano, Essien, Diarra, Malouda, Thiago, Benzema, Wiltord, Squillaci, Govou, Fred, Carew, Ben Arfa, Boumsong....
The list is endless it would be extremely hard to sustain that type of success having to replace players like them.

Houllier IMO was mixed at Liverpool. Winning the 4 trophies was amazing for him. But in general he bought worse than Benitez did. Eric Meier for example who against all odds managed to play a few games. Lets not forget while he did get some signings right remember. Even a broken clock is right twice a day.....

Roadend
08/10/2010, 1:12 PM

God above, I've been hearing this utter nonsense since the season began. 5 transfer windows in a row Liverpool turned a profit, which meant RB's hands were tied for two years with regards to transfers. The squad "nice guy" Hodgson inherited is largely the same bar Mascherano. I don't recall that squad ever being within an asses' roar of the bottom 3 last year.
His insistance on playing the utterly woeful, washed up, Poulsen and moving everyone else around to accomodate him is a joke. Playing Agger left back is a farce and persisting with a nervous wreck of a right back is just baffling.
He has brought a small club mentality with him into the club, no surprise as he has predominantly been a small club manager all his career. Maybe uncle Roy could answer this one, if he is such a well respected manager across Europe why were inter not banging down his door to appoint him.

DeLorean
08/10/2010, 2:57 PM
Liverpool won 5 of their last 13 games last season, were knocked out in the group stage of the Champions League and at home to Reading in the FA Cup. I would consider that a complete mess by their standards, so to disregard it as nonsense is a bit baffling to me. The net transfer value is always used in Benitez defence, but the fact remains that he spent over £250m and has very little quality to show for it. He was never forced to sell his top players, yet ended up with the likes of Babel, N'Gog and Lucas when he could have had Bellamy, Couch/Keane and Alonso at his disposal. Yes, those players wanted to leave, but only as a result of very little game time and/or being badly treated.

Nice to see Rafa himself showing his gratitude to you for backing him up!

Roadend
08/10/2010, 3:23 PM
Liverpool won 5 of their last 13 games last season, were knocked out in the group stage of the Champions League and at home to Reading in the FA Cup. I would consider that a complete mess by their standards, so to disregard it as nonsense is a bit baffling to me. The net transfer value is always used in Benitez defence, but the fact remains that he spent over £250m and has very little quality to show for it. He was never forced to sell his top players, yet ended up with the likes of Babel, N'Gog and Lucas when he could have had Bellamy, Couch/Keane and Alonso at his disposal. Yes, those players wanted to leave, but only as a result of very little game time and/or being badly treated.
Nice to see Rafa himself showing his gratitude to you for backing him up!

I'll just highlight those points you've made which are very very wrong. I'll grant you Alsonso left over what happened the previous season but the otherplayers did not want to leave at all. In fact Crouch would have stayed but the board refused to increase his wages so he moved on. Bellamy went out torres came in, big mistake there alright. The amount of mis-truths around the transfer wheelings and dealings is hilarious, but I don't expect any less as these are the "facts" peddled by the tabloids and the Jamie Redknapps of this world and everyone takes it as gospel.

KK77
13/10/2010, 1:46 PM
Yanks gone happy days! No more debt!

EDIT: There still hanging on cnuts.

KK77
15/10/2010, 3:27 PM
A new dawn. Get the fcuk in there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Liverpool have confirmed New England Sports Ventures have completed their takeover of the club

After a week of drama off the pitch John Henry's NESV have finally completed their takeover of the club after Tom Hicks and George Gillett accepted defeat in their bid to prevent a sale.

American duo Hicks and Gillett lifted the final obstacle standing in NESV's way by removing the restraining order they won in a Texas court to block the proposed sale.

However, Hicks and Gillett have announced they plan to sue for "at least $1.6billion" for "an extraordinary swindle".

Hicks, who believes the NESV sale undervalues Liverpool, had been trying to sell his stake to Mill Financial, a USA-based hedge fund, so they could pay the club's debt to the Royal Bank of Scotland and scupper the takeover.

Mill Financial had approached the Premier League to take the mandatory owner's test on Thursday, but were rejected when the league told the fund they could only take instruction from the Liverpool board, led by chairman Martin Broughton, who have already agreed to sell to NESV for £300 million.

NESV's takeover means the Royal Bank of Scotland will be paid the £237million they are owed and the threat of administration is avoided.

Liverpool's board agreed to sell the club to NESV for £300million last week, but the deal was upheld as Hicks and Gillett opposed the deal.

The news ends Hick's and Gillett's turbulent ownership of the club after they gained control at Anfield in 2007.

osarusan
18/10/2010, 10:38 AM
Wayne Rooney refusing to sign new deal at Man. United?

From the BBC (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/9101905.stm)

Manchester United have been informed that Wayne Rooney will not sign a new contract with the club, according to reports from the Press Association.

The 24-year-old striker's current deal runs out in the summer of 2012 and it is understood negotiations over a new contract have broken down.

OwlsFan
18/10/2010, 11:13 AM
Man U:- a team in decline? Huge debt. Top players unhappy. Fergie pushing on.

Closed Account 2
18/10/2010, 12:44 PM
Look at the spine of that team, and how old they'll be half way through the season:

-------------Van Der Saar (40)
--------Ferdinand (32)----Vidic (29)------
---------------Fletcher (26)/ Carrick (29)
------------------Scholes (36)
------------Berbatov (30) Rooney (25)

So apart from Rooney and Fletcher most players are 29 or over, some like Vidic and Berbatov might still have a few years left in them but most of the spine is in need of serious investment. There are some other young players (Hernandez, Smalling, Nani etc) but there are also older players on the flank (like Evra, Park etc) who again are pushing 30.

They need investment in new players but they seem very reluctant to pay for experienced players and are instead obessed with paying over the top for youth players. £7m for Bebé ? When Van Der Vaart would have only been a million or so more ? Smalling for £10m last Christmas ? They could have got Thiago Sliva a year earlier for less (Milan signed him for €10m).

shakermaker1982
18/10/2010, 12:57 PM
I hope Fergie does get rid of Rooney if he's starting to think he is bigger than Man Utd. Better players than Rooney have left the club and they've survived.

I've been impressed with Smalling and expect him to take over from Rio in 2 years. Bebe looks a handful and think he'll come good. Hernandez is gonna be a star......they just need to invest in two central midfielders and they'll be fine. It has been a problem area since Keane left but Ronaldo winning games on his own against the lesser sides meant they could get away with it.

KK77
19/10/2010, 1:32 PM
Fergie just said Rooney has asked to leave the club. Fergie: "the player says he's adamant he wants to leave"
Think he is out tomorrow night as well. Something about his ankle.

The Fly
19/10/2010, 6:44 PM
Coleen will have Rooney followed everywhere from now on. It's the WAG tailing the dog.

Closed Account 2
20/10/2010, 9:35 PM
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/10/19/article-1321997-0BAE0063000005DC-568_634x370.jpg

Roadend
21/10/2010, 8:58 AM
Heh heh, he should team up with the guy who got the tattoo with Man City EPL winners 09/10 on his arm

OwlsFan
21/10/2010, 9:03 AM
Interesting war of words no ongoing between the two. Liverpool are now starting to fret about Torres if Rooney leaves. Good entertainment.

Roadend
21/10/2010, 10:31 AM
Interesting war of words no ongoing between the two. Liverpool are now starting to fret about Torres if Rooney leaves. Good entertainment.
Liverpool are not fretting, senile old Hodgson just answered a question in the most idiotic way possible when asked of the possibilty of Torres moving to Man U.
Shouldn't be an issue anyway as Hodgson should be gone in the next few days if rumours are to be believed.
*crosses fingers*

Roadend
11/11/2010, 8:45 AM
I know those derbies can get fairly testy but.....
http://i54.tinypic.com/2vt2mtc.jpg

strangeirish
11/11/2010, 1:34 PM
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj153/SpatchcockF365/F365/8e8c2ed5.gif

Roadend
11/11/2010, 4:02 PM
Ah, an f365er I see http://forum.football365.com/images/smiley_icons/suspicious.gif

OwlsFan
12/11/2010, 9:32 AM
senile old Hodgson just answered a question

That's a bit ageist isn't it? He is 6 years younger than Ferguson!! Looking to sack a manger after 10 games is a bit harsh, especially someone with a fairly good track record. He wasn't exactly left a brilliant team by his predecessor and it takes time to mould a team to his own way.

Roadend
12/11/2010, 12:37 PM
That's a bit ageist isn't it? He is 6 years younger than Ferguson!! Looking to sack a manger after 10 games is a bit harsh, especially someone with a fairly good track record. He wasn't exactly left a brilliant team by his predecessor and it takes time to mould a team to his own way.

His own way yielded one away win last year, and the team is not as bad as the stupid red tops make out, anyway he should never have been given the job in the first place and did nothing to deserve it but that's by the by now.