PDA

View Full Version : Pete Mahon no likey MNS

Pages : [1] 2

sligo23
23/07/2010, 9:14 PM
Article in today's Irish Daily Star about how Mahon believes MNS is a complete waste of money and that it does nothing for the league. He thinks the money should be shared amongst the clubs. He may have a point?

Jofspring
23/07/2010, 9:17 PM
Yes and no. Always nice to have more money available to clubs but its the only decent bit of publicity the clubs have at the moment. I enjoy the show most of the time too.

John83
23/07/2010, 9:32 PM
As prize money or something? No way. It'd get ****ed away on wages with zero long term benefit to the league. Maybe as a pot for infrastructural projects, but I don't know that that's any more beneficial than MNS.

As for it doing nothing for the league, the day I turn to Pete Mahon for assessment of a marketing tool is the day I turn to him for advice on the derivatives market.

peadar1987
23/07/2010, 9:34 PM
We all know the money would be p*ssed up the wall by the clubs. If they could be trusted to spend it responsibly, he might have a point. As things stand, MNS all the way

sligo23
23/07/2010, 9:36 PM
He seemed to be having a dig at the presenters and pundits aswell.

paudie
23/07/2010, 9:37 PM
Pete obviously not comfortable being required to do an interview after a game, win lose or draw.

MNS can't be anything but good for the league overrall.

dfx-
23/07/2010, 10:10 PM
Is that all he has to moan about?

It's a wonder how he never made it at Bohs..

He probably wouldn't shut up until every cent spent on MNS was spent by Pats on Pats.

Schumi
23/07/2010, 10:17 PM
Is that all he has to moan about?

No. He also had a long moan about clubs bankrupting themselves trying for European progression.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/mahon-slams-rivals-on-euro-gambles-2269676.html

Charlie Darwin
23/07/2010, 10:34 PM
Surely MNS is one of the sources of the videos his team use to analyse and prepare for the opposition? Slightly bizarre opinion and completely out of touch with the average fan who doesn't have the capacity to attend five games at the same time every Friday.

Mario
24/07/2010, 12:09 AM
Thought he made an eijet of himself ... moaning about 1 hour or prime time media coverage, wtf?

Mario

bullit
24/07/2010, 12:32 AM
Any time Pete appears on MNS he reminds me of Trigger from Only fools and horses and his comments about MNS are defnitly Trigger type shpake!!
Get a new comb or new hair Pete

SMorgan
24/07/2010, 1:01 AM
Article in today's Irish Daily Star about how Mahon believes MNS is a complete waste of money and that it does nothing for the league. He thinks the money should be shared amongst the clubs. He may have a point?

This makes Mahon look a fool in my eyes. I am not a great fan of MNS because there is too much talk and not enough action. But it has served the league well. Mahon may not like it but the people that sponsor clubs do like it for obvious reasons. And give the money to the clubs???? ffs... They'll put the money to great use.. PM may have a chip on his shoulder over some comments made on the programme

dfx-
24/07/2010, 2:53 AM
No. He also had a long moan about clubs bankrupting themselves trying for European progression.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/mahon-slams-rivals-on-euro-gambles-2269676.html

I've just glanced through the Mirror pullout beside me and reading about Rovers...and then I turned the page and it's Pete full time, player character, Europe, safety issues at grounds, budgets, dirty stadiums. Now MNS. Christ, since when has he got this depressing? You'd think being a point off top spot would give him some reason to be cheerful or at least a pleasant surprise, but it appears not.

Yet he says Richmond is bright. I've been there as a neutral..it's just down the road. It's dark and dismal.

thischarmingman
24/07/2010, 7:57 AM
Slightly bizarre opinion and completely out of touch with the average fan who doesn't have the capacity to attend five games at the same time every Friday.

As opposed to those superfans who can? ;)

Silly ramblings though, MNS is invaluable to the leagues credibility.

Dodge
24/07/2010, 8:39 AM
I've just glanced through the Mirror pullout beside me and reading about Rovers...and then I turned the page and it's Pete full time, player character, Europe, safety issues at grounds, budgets, dirty stadiums. Now MNS. Christ, since when has he got this depressing? You'd think being a point off top spot would give him some reason to be cheerful or at least a pleasant surprise, but it appears not.

Remember, this was a press conference so these are the questions he was asked

This makes Mahon look a fool in my eyes. I am not a great fan of MNS because there is too much talk and not enough action. But it has served the league well. Mahon may not like it but the people that sponsor clubs do like it for obvious reasons. And give the money to the clubs???? ffs... They'll put the money to great use.. PM may have a chip on his shoulder over some comments made on the programme

mahon did acknowledge that MNS does some good but what he actually said was that it hasn't helped get one fan into the grounds. his reasoning being that since the programme started crowds are down*. He wasn't against the porgramme at all. He just said that the FAI might be better investing the €4million they paid for MNS in upgrading LOI grounds.

He didn't say clubs should be given the money. He spoke about the FAI approaching "constuction workers" in order to get a good deal.

His words have been a little mangled by the papers, and he makes no secret of his disdain for certain analysts (as we all do) but his thinking is pretty sound

Myself, I think losing MNS (or a full highlights programme) would be an absolute disaster

*EDIT; should point out he wasn't trying to blame MNS for the lack of crowds, just that they were down in general

Rasputin
24/07/2010, 11:44 AM
MNS is so important to the leagues credibility, it is a great resource.
It has its faults as everything does but it is over whelmingly positive and a real polished act that we need for this league.

Guinney
24/07/2010, 11:58 AM
Have to disagree with Pete on this one. MNS is vital to the league of Ireland. Even though league attendances have being down I think they would actually be lower if there was no MNS show. I know a good few lads who basically when they where in college on a monday night and had little to do put on the telly and saw that MNS was on. A few of them are now regulars in Oriel Park because MNS sparked on interest for them. Also its a vital for those fans who may not get home to often. It keeps them in touch with the game. I think the programme isn't perfect but I think they do well with the resources they have and I actually enjoy it. I would only wish there was more media coverage on the game here.

Would however agree with Pete on the Euro gambling. Bohs went for 'win or go bust' which is basically playing Russian roulette with the club. Even though Bohs lost they actually got on easy draw with TNS compared to some of the other teams. Progressing was always going to be hard.

Spudulika
24/07/2010, 1:14 PM
Is it just me or is this a silly season nonsense story? He said it hasn't brought in an extra person to games - probably right, maybe MNS can do a survey to prove him wrong. And that's it. He spoke more about clubs bankrupting themselves and how the country went on a mad one. Please close this thread before it gets to the usual interclub slagging fest with little boys fumbling with their, well, mice.

Rasher
24/07/2010, 1:43 PM
It's not the job of MNS to bring in extra crowds. It can only showcase the product provided by, surprise surprise, the managers. Ironically, his whinging merely serves to highlight one of the major problems facing the league - clubs and managers who won't take responsibility for their own performances.

Riddickcule
24/07/2010, 2:37 PM
What a stupid, stupid thing to say, get rid of MNS. Who cares if it brings in the crowds or not thats not what its for ffs. It's the best highlights show we've had in years.

Dodge
24/07/2010, 2:39 PM
What a stupid, stupid thing to say, get rid of MNS. Who cares if it brings in the crowds or not thats not what its for ffs.

Really? Why have Tv coverage if it isn't to promote the league?

ped_ped
24/07/2010, 4:23 PM
For the pre-existing fans, Dodge. I'm gonna be in Jackman when all the Premier Division clubs are playing, so I can't be there.

dfx-
24/07/2010, 5:54 PM

Does he answer everything he's asked so honestly/depressingly?

Pete, what's the time? "It doesn't matter, we're all late anyway and so going to be sacked without pay. We may as well not bother getting out of bed at all."

saintmaniac
24/07/2010, 8:49 PM
It can only showcase the product provided by, surprise surprise, the managers. Ironically, his whinging merely serves to highlight one of the major problems facing the league - clubs and managers who won't take responsibility for their own performances.
Ehmmm, what? Read Dodge's post again. Explain what Mahon said that highlights how he isn't taking responsibility for Pats' performance. Because I'm at a loss to understand how. It's not like Pats are the only club in the league to have declining attendances this year, or that Mahon's management style has contributed to fewer people through the turnstiles this year than last year. I mean, I was loving our style of play last year. An entire squad of players who couldn't give a **** and a manager who was standing on quicksand. Hey, but at least he was 'positive' though, bet the neutrals loved that in the face of all the hammerings we got at home. So that's what the league needs! Get Jeff Kenna back, stat!

Lim till i die
25/07/2010, 9:33 PM
I would be very sceptical as to whether MNS is of any benefit in attracting non LoI fans. It's handy for fans themselves (personally I think it should have two or three First Division games but whatever) but like the league it is portraying it's shoddy, cheap and often laughable.

To all the people cribbing about Mahon cribbing, the man was asked a question he answered it honestly. BOO HOO HOO.

dfx-
25/07/2010, 11:12 PM
What was he asked about MNS?

monkey9
26/07/2010, 12:40 AM
What was he asked about MNS?

Probably what he thought of it?? You seem to have an issue with honest answers?

dfx-
26/07/2010, 3:16 PM
What a random question to ask so

Nevertheless, if I was talking to someone about a product I developed and was asked "does X product work well". I wouldn't say "It's crap, whatever you do don't buy it. You'll regret it"

I can still be honest and get the same point across by saying "It's having teething problems, we're developing it and you can try it for yourself and see if it works better." Both are honest, one is depressing, both get the same point across.

But apparently Pete is now satisfied having gone top of the table. Nice to see him so happy.

Dodge
26/07/2010, 3:58 PM
He wasn't asked by MNS what he thought of MNS, so your analogy is wrong.

He didn't comment at all on the quality of the programme.

outspoken
26/07/2010, 4:06 PM
I agree on his stance that we should be updating grounds and get builders back to work....every ground in Ireland needs something done even if its just fixing a few broken seats so I defo agree with him there.

But MNS has/should be helping raise the profile of the league but maybe he's right that it hasnt brought in any extra fans because they can stay at home and get highlights so maybe hes right about that

but imo what we need is more live games that will most certaintely raise interest in the LOI but once again will it bring in anymore fans? probably not if anything it will detract from attendances as people will stay at home to watch games so you cant please everyone I suppose is the lesson here.

galwayjames
26/07/2010, 4:33 PM
what we need is more live games that will most certaintely raise interest in the LOI but once again will it bring in anymore fans? probably not if anything it will detract from attendances as people will stay at home to watch games so you cant please everyone I suppose is the lesson here.

i and a lot of other people wouldn't have taken up an interest in the league if it wasn't for it being live on TV. I was like most other people watching the Premier League until MNS came on. It was a bit of novelty having a professional league on my doorstep so I got interested in it then.

Live games may keep an LOI fan away from a match, but the league won't make many more new fans if some games are not shown on TV.

Riddickcule
26/07/2010, 4:46 PM
MNS doesn't bring any more fans because the leagues a shambles, no matter how much TV coverage the LOI gets crowds won't go up imo. As much as I hate to say it the Irish are so used to watching glamour football on the box then watching local football. Sky sports has subconsicously embedded the image of glamour footy into us Irish. So when they say the product is crap, it's because they compare it to the EPL, which is ridiculous because how can you compare a league which its country has 50 million people to our own country which has 4.5...The scots are brave enough to keep supporting their own league, fair play to them.

Fact is only when facilities and the product improves, those two things, is when we will see crowds increase.

outspoken
28/07/2010, 11:37 AM
Fact is only when facilities and the product improves, those two things, is when we will see crowds increase.

Most grounds in this country are to a reasonable standard imo. Flancare Park is my team's ground and imo its one of the best in the country and while comparing it to an Englsh ground it mightn't be as good it defo shouldnt stop people from coming out to game's. Most stadium's in this country needs a few small things done like in Flancare for example we have alot of broken seats (unused ones I may add) so like I said it shouldnt stop people from coming out...... at the end of the day result's will decide most attendancs

Riddickcule
28/07/2010, 2:27 PM
Agree and disagree with you there Kieran, agree that the Flansiro is one of the best in the country, imo all it needs is a roof all round and it'd be perfect :)

But I disagree with you in that most grounds in the country are of reasonable standard, although some are top notch. Noticeably Tallaght, TC, Terryland, RSC, Belfield, Lissywolen and the Showgrounds.

And on the flip side our ground is probably up there with the worst of them, however we have plans to develop it, which if come to fruition, should look a right trendy ground. But at the moment its a right kip.

Charlie Darwin
28/07/2010, 4:24 PM
One of the reports in the Birmingham papers after the Villa-Bohs match made fun of the paint peeling at Dalymount but mentioned the pitch was "immaculate".

Lim till i die
28/07/2010, 4:27 PM
Flancare Park is literally falling down around them!!!

Finn Park is in better shape, never mind some of the other grounds mentioned

Riddickcule
28/07/2010, 4:29 PM
Seems to be the norm, pitchs are in good nick most of the time.

Dodge
28/07/2010, 7:25 PM
But I disagree with you in that most grounds in the country are of reasonable standard, although some are top notch. Noticeably Belfield... The Showgrounds.

Jaysus....

HammerNThongs
28/07/2010, 10:20 PM

mahon did acknowledge that MNS does some good but what he actually said was that it hasn't helped get one fan into the grounds. his reasoning being that since the programme started crowds are down*. He wasn't against the porgramme at all. He just said that the FAI might be better investing the €4million they paid for MNS in upgrading LOI grounds.

He didn't say clubs should be given the money. He spoke about the FAI approaching "constuction workers" in order to get a good deal.

His words have been a little mangled by the papers, and he makes no secret of his disdain for certain analysts (as we all do) but his thinking is pretty sound

Myself, I think losing MNS (or a full highlights programme) would be an absolute disaster

*EDIT; should point out he wasn't trying to blame MNS for the lack of crowds, just that they were down in general

Well then why did he say it? I'm assuming he said it in relation to the MNS TV program....

Riddickcule
28/07/2010, 11:11 PM
Jaysus....
What? I didn't mention Richmond? Yeah i forgot how much of a mecca it was..

Dodge
28/07/2010, 11:28 PM
No, Richmond's far from top notch. Just like most of the grounds you listed

The two I highlighted being particularly far from top notch

Riddickcule
28/07/2010, 11:51 PM
You don't think the UCD bowl is a good ground? wow. Ditto for showgrounds

Dodge
29/07/2010, 12:56 AM
You don't think the UCD bowl is a good ground?
1,000 seats, some uncovered. Nothing on 3 sides of the ground.

Ditto for showgrounds
Nice stand. Rest of it awful

Aberdonian Stu
29/07/2010, 9:01 AM
I tend to agree with Dodge on this one. The stand we have is nice but having nothing on 3 sides is a bit odd. Admittedly the nature of our crowds mean we would rarely want to exceed the stand capacity of 1,500. That said, a roof over the currently uncovered seats would make a huge difference.

Dodge
29/07/2010, 9:21 AM
I should point out that I'm not having a pop at those grounds. For all its faults I enjoy watching football in the Showgrounds and Belfield is obviously an improvement on the previous ground. Belfield is more than adequate for UCD's needs at the moment (and indeed so is the Showgrounds for Sligo's)

I just thought it was funnt that some one would class them as "top notch" and mention them in the same sentance as Tallaght or Turner's Cross

dong
29/07/2010, 10:09 AM
Belfield is more than adequate for UCD's needs at the moment (and indeed so is the Showgrounds for Sligo's)

I don't know about that Dodge.
For example, if you go to the showgrounds and are stuck in the Jinks stand you have no proper view of the game.
If there is a crowd above a couple of thousand that means there is no room in the opposite stand from which you would have a decent view. You are then looking at the option of standing behind the goals at the railway end which is terraced and not covered, standing at the opposite end (the old shed end) which is really not an option at all as there is no terrace, you are just standing on gravel.
This is off putting for people in my opinion.
There were plans for redeveloping the Jinks stand which would be fantastic and is badly needed. These plans were in the match programme last year for our game against Vllaznia. Filling space no doubt because I can't see anything happening anytime soon on that front.
You can talk about no money but there's a few players over the last couple of seasons who we could have done without who's wages could have made a good start at rectifying some of these problems.
So to say the showgrounds is "adequate" isn't true in my opinion.
Having said that, on a good day I would liken it to Richmond, Oriel Park, Hunky Dory's Park and Tolka as having atmosphere and the feeling of a proper football ground, even if sub standard in so many respects.

Aberdonian Stu
29/07/2010, 10:14 AM
Is the Jinks the stand that isn't the main one? I remember being well annoyed to be sent there for a Sligo-UCD game as I rather like the main stand but the stewards were insistent on separating away fans. Given how small our travelling support was this seem as hilarious as the time Cork City gave us a big chunk of a stand for 8 of us.

Macy
29/07/2010, 10:53 AM
The point of MNS is surely to promote the league, or why the fook would the FAI be paying for it/ taking less for International rights?

I have to say, even as a fan of the league I don't regularly watch it (no 1st division, too much talk), and I've never heard mention of it here in the office. I don't think it's a factor in attendances one way or the other (which is damning given the investment), but there's a whole list of reasons why attendances are/ could be down, but do we really need another summer v winter football debate? Or another 10 team league debate?

dong
29/07/2010, 11:42 AM
Is the Jinks the stand that isn't the main one? I remember being well annoyed to be sent there for a Sligo-UCD game as I rather like the main stand but the stewards were insistent on separating away fans. Given how small our travelling support was this seem as hilarious as the time Cork City gave us a big chunk of a stand for 8 of us.

That's the one.

Riddickcule
29/07/2010, 1:17 PM
It's in the psyche of our population that we don't support our own league, simple as.

Ah lads seriously, the UCD bowl is a top class little ground. It may be unused on 3 sides but for the 1 side the facilities are brilliant.