Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pete Mahon no likey MNS

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Pete Mahon no likey MNS

Article in today's Irish Daily Star about how Mahon believes MNS is a complete waste of money and that it does nothing for the league. He thinks the money should be shared amongst the clubs. He may have a point?

International Prospect Jofspring's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    Yes and no. Always nice to have more money available to clubs but its the only decent bit of publicity the clubs have at the moment. I enjoy the show most of the time too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    732 Posts
    As prize money or something? No way. It'd get ****ed away on wages with zero long term benefit to the league. Maybe as a pot for infrastructural projects, but I don't know that that's any more beneficial than MNS.

As for it doing nothing for the league, the day I turn to Pete Mahon for assessment of a marketing tool is the day I turn to him for advice on the derivatives market.

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    We all know the money would be p*ssed up the wall by the clubs. If they could be trusted to spend it responsibly, he might have a point. As things stand, MNS all the way

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts
    He seemed to be having a dig at the presenters and pundits aswell.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Pete obviously not comfortable being required to do an interview after a game, win lose or draw.

MNS can't be anything but good for the league overrall.
    I'm what? I'm ants at a picnic?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Is that all he has to moan about?

It's a wonder how he never made it at Bohs..

He probably wouldn't shut up until every cent spent on MNS was spent by Pats on Pats.
    Last edited by dfx-; 23/07/2010 at 10:12 PM.
    The Model Club

Tell all the Bohs you know
    that we've gone and won two-in-a-row
    and it's not gonna be three
    and it's not gonna be four
    it's more likely to be 5-1.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dfx- View Post
    Is that all he has to moan about?
    No. He also had a long moan about clubs bankrupting themselves trying for European progression.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...s-2269676.html
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Surely MNS is one of the sources of the videos his team use to analyse and prepare for the opposition? Slightly bizarre opinion and completely out of touch with the average fan who doesn't have the capacity to attend five games at the same time every Friday.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Thought he made an eijet of himself ... moaning about 1 hour or prime time media coverage, wtf?

Mario

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    305 Posts
    Any time Pete appears on MNS he reminds me of Trigger from Only fools and horses and his comments about MNS are defnitly Trigger type shpake!!
    Get a new comb or new hair Pete

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sligo23 View Post
    Article in today's Irish Daily Star about how Mahon believes MNS is a complete waste of money and that it does nothing for the league. He thinks the money should be shared amongst the clubs. He may have a point?
    This makes Mahon look a fool in my eyes. I am not a great fan of MNS because there is too much talk and not enough action. But it has served the league well. Mahon may not like it but the people that sponsor clubs do like it for obvious reasons. And give the money to the clubs???? ffs... They'll put the money to great use.. PM may have a chip on his shoulder over some comments made on the programme
    Neale Fenn on retiring: 'I think once you finish you might as well finish rather than making all sorts of comebacks.'

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Schumi View Post
    No. He also had a long moan about clubs bankrupting themselves trying for European progression.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...s-2269676.html
    I've just glanced through the Mirror pullout beside me and reading about Rovers...and then I turned the page and it's Pete full time, player character, Europe, safety issues at grounds, budgets, dirty stadiums. Now MNS. Christ, since when has he got this depressing? You'd think being a point off top spot would give him some reason to be cheerful or at least a pleasant surprise, but it appears not.

Yet he says Richmond is bright. I've been there as a neutral..it's just down the road. It's dark and dismal.
    The Model Club

Tell all the Bohs you know
    that we've gone and won two-in-a-row
    and it's not gonna be three
    and it's not gonna be four
    it's more likely to be 5-1.

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    290 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Slightly bizarre opinion and completely out of touch with the average fan who doesn't have the capacity to attend five games at the same time every Friday.
    As opposed to those superfans who can?

Silly ramblings though, MNS is invaluable to the leagues credibility.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dfx- View Post
    I've just glanced through the Mirror pullout beside me and reading about Rovers...and then I turned the page and it's Pete full time, player character, Europe, safety issues at grounds, budgets, dirty stadiums. Now MNS. Christ, since when has he got this depressing? You'd think being a point off top spot would give him some reason to be cheerful or at least a pleasant surprise, but it appears not.
    Remember, this was a press conference so these are the questions he was asked

Quote Originally Posted by SMorgan View Post
    This makes Mahon look a fool in my eyes. I am not a great fan of MNS because there is too much talk and not enough action. But it has served the league well. Mahon may not like it but the people that sponsor clubs do like it for obvious reasons. And give the money to the clubs???? ffs... They'll put the money to great use.. PM may have a chip on his shoulder over some comments made on the programme
    mahon did acknowledge that MNS does some good but what he actually said was that it hasn't helped get one fan into the grounds. his reasoning being that since the programme started crowds are down*. He wasn't against the porgramme at all. He just said that the FAI might be better investing the €4million they paid for MNS in upgrading LOI grounds.

He didn't say clubs should be given the money. He spoke about the FAI approaching "constuction workers" in order to get a good deal.

His words have been a little mangled by the papers, and he makes no secret of his disdain for certain analysts (as we all do) but his thinking is pretty sound

Myself, I think losing MNS (or a full highlights programme) would be an absolute disaster

*EDIT; should point out he wasn't trying to blame MNS for the lack of crowds, just that they were down in general
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    138 Posts
    MNS is so important to the leagues credibility, it is a great resource.
    It has its faults as everything does but it is over whelmingly positive and a real polished act that we need for this league.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    42 Posts
    Have to disagree with Pete on this one. MNS is vital to the league of Ireland. Even though league attendances have being down I think they would actually be lower if there was no MNS show. I know a good few lads who basically when they where in college on a monday night and had little to do put on the telly and saw that MNS was on. A few of them are now regulars in Oriel Park because MNS sparked on interest for them. Also its a vital for those fans who may not get home to often. It keeps them in touch with the game. I think the programme isn't perfect but I think they do well with the resources they have and I actually enjoy it. I would only wish there was more media coverage on the game here.

Would however agree with Pete on the Euro gambling. Bohs went for 'win or go bust' which is basically playing Russian roulette with the club. Even though Bohs lost they actually got on easy draw with TNS compared to some of the other teams. Progressing was always going to be hard.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Is it just me or is this a silly season nonsense story? He said it hasn't brought in an extra person to games - probably right, maybe MNS can do a survey to prove him wrong. And that's it. He spoke more about clubs bankrupting themselves and how the country went on a mad one. Please close this thread before it gets to the usual interclub slagging fest with little boys fumbling with their, well, mice.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    It's not the job of MNS to bring in extra crowds. It can only showcase the product provided by, surprise surprise, the managers. Ironically, his whinging merely serves to highlight one of the major problems facing the league - clubs and managers who won't take responsibility for their own performances.

23. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    What a stupid, stupid thing to say, get rid of MNS. Who cares if it brings in the crowds or not thats not what its for ffs. It's the best highlights show we've had in years.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast