PDA

View Full Version : BETOP - Bring Europe to Oriel Park

Pages : [1] 2 3

mcgonigle
27/03/2010, 11:14 AM
http://www.dundalkfc.com/BETOP.asp

The jist of this initiative is to upgrade Oriel Park so that we can host European Football there, this initiative will benefit both Dundalk fans and in turn away fans.

I know there are many LOI fans who go to the European games regardless of who is playing to support the LOI team. If you are thinking of going to Dundalk's European game then can I encourage you to book your tickets early and help us achieve this ambitious plan. There is a paypal option to book through the link at the end of the page.

Thanks in advance to anybody who supports this scheme :ball:

Rasputin
27/03/2010, 11:17 AM
Hope it works out for yee, nights like that have to be played in your home ground especially for a club like Dundalk where moving the game to Dublin wouldnt have the same attraction.

Dillonman
27/03/2010, 11:20 AM
Hope it works out for yee, nights like that have to be played in your home ground especially for a club like Dundalk where moving the game to Dublin wouldnt have the same attraction.

Exactly you are down club revenue, merchandise revenue, bar revenue, have to pay rent to the Dublin club etc etc and alot of fans wouldnt travel, it just aint the same thing if its not up to the road to those floating fans!

CSFShels
27/03/2010, 11:22 AM
Hope it works for you guys.

Dodge
27/03/2010, 12:30 PM
Exactly you are down club revenue, merchandise revenue, bar revenue, have to pay rent to the Dublin club etc etc and alot of fans wouldnt travel, it just aint the same thing if its not up to the road to those floating fans!

Regardless of money, its just a great feeling hosting European games. Lets hope it works out

fionnsci
27/03/2010, 1:25 PM
Will these new seats just be temporary ones on the terraces or are you planning on building a new stand? Enough space for one behind the goal near the away end, I'd say.

Ezeikial
27/03/2010, 1:43 PM
Will these new seats just be temporary ones on the terraces or are you planning on building a new stand? Enough space for one behind the goal near the away end, I'd say.

The actual specific details have not been published yet. Temporary stands are not permitted by UEFA. The vast majority of the existing seats in the main stand have to be replaced (most do not meet UEFA specifications which include backrests). The area you mention behind the away goal appears ideal for re-development, but the access into the new €5.5m Youth Development Centre goes here. Sufficent capacity can be created by developing the current away terrace, the current home terrace on the town side of the stand, the area on front of the stand, and on the entire opposite "shed" side on front of the Youth Development Centre. There are plans to relocate the current away section further down the line, meaning that both home and away fans will benefit from the upgrade of the ground

mcgonigle
27/03/2010, 3:42 PM

Hope it works for you guys.

Regardless of money, its just a great feeling hosting European games. Lets hope it works out

It will if you all buy tickets ;)

Your all welcome up in Oriel.

oriel
27/03/2010, 3:50 PM
Dundalk owner Gerry Matthews on local radio in the last half hour said if he even gets a 1,000 take up in the next 2 weeks, he`ll go ahead and put the order in for 3,000 seats.

I think this would be a crime if the locals dont get behind this.

bullit
28/03/2010, 4:34 AM
when it hits the local press tues/weds oriel i have no doubt that there will be momentum on this,its a win win situation for DFC.but we have to keep the campaign going
taking this game to dublin would be a disaster not just for us but for the leauge in general
BETOP

kingdomkerry
28/03/2010, 3:21 PM
When is the draw?

Dillonman
28/03/2010, 3:44 PM
When is the draw?

Draw doesn't take place til June with first qualifiying round legs to take palce in the first 2 weeks in July. I hope we can persuade a few of ye from ehre to come up for the match if ye have nothign else toi be doing. If any of ye have paypal access please do put a deposit down. Tis will go along way to eventually getting a decent away section fo those of ye who regularly come to oriel each year.

paudie
28/03/2010, 8:53 PM
Great idea.
Putting it up to local football fans to ensure the game goes ahead in Dundalk.

April 24 is a tight deadline to get the seats in for the inspection.

If the game isn't on in Dundalk Bohs could be on to a winner. I presume Fingal will play their home game(s) at Dalymount?.

Would Tolka be suitable for euro games?

Dillonman
28/03/2010, 9:18 PM
Tolka didnt even get a Prem licence this year if I'm not mistaken. COuld have sworn I saw a piece on it been to run down now esp the River side end with the open seated stand.

sheao
28/03/2010, 9:24 PM
The Shlebourne and Deportivo game in 2004 was played in Tolka if i'm correct.

Riddickcule
28/03/2010, 9:45 PM
No, Lansdowne. Crowd of 30,000 aswell. Begosh.

Ezeikial
28/03/2010, 10:28 PM
I am open to correction, but am pretty sure that Tolka does not have the required license (UEFA Category two or higher). The Dublin grounds that can qualify are Dalymount, Tallaght, Richmond and RDS.

I don't think that any of these are currently on Dundalk's radar - as there is a passionate determination to hold it at Oriel Park

SkStu
28/03/2010, 10:33 PM
I am open to correction, but am pretty sure that Tolka does not have the required license (UEFA Category two or higher). The Dublin grounds that can qualify are Dalymount, Tallaght, Richmond and RDS.

I don't think that any of these are currently on Dundalk's radar - as there is a passionate determination to hold it at Oriel Park

and so there should be - if it is at all possible you should not give up your home advantage.

Dodge
28/03/2010, 11:36 PM
I forgot about FIngal in Europe. Presumably they'll go with Dalymount (unless it clashes with Bohs). Could be an opportunity for Richmond (Guarenteed to be cheeper than Tallaght and the RDS)

BohsFans
29/03/2010, 12:35 AM
How many were at Dundalk's last home European match in Dublin, 200 was it?

De Town
29/03/2010, 1:01 AM

which is fair enough and I hope it works out that way, but surely ye need to have some sort of back up plan in place, just in case things go to plan with Oriel?

Candystripe
29/03/2010, 3:39 AM
I'm sure they have a back up plan in place.

Fair dues to the Dundalk board as playing a Euro game at home is something the whole town should be proud off.

When Derry were drawn to play PSG we only had a week to put 300+ extra proper seats in plus proper media facilities and it was sorted in no time.The board at the time was adamant that the game should be played in the Brandywell and it got great press because of it.

If Dundalk do get the game played in Oriel I'm sure myself and plenty of other Derry fans will be there.

Actually I wouldn't mind a nice away trip as well dont mind us tagging along again (aka 2002) ;)

Dillonman
29/03/2010, 10:13 AM
I'm sure they have a back up plan in place.

Fair dues to the Dundalk board as playing a Euro game at home is something the whole town should be proud off.

When Derry were drawn to play PSG we only had a week to put 300+ extra proper seats in plus proper media facilities and it was sorted in no time.The board at the time was adamant that the game should be played in the Brandywell and it got great press because of it.

If Dundalk do get the game played in Oriel I'm sure myself and plenty of other Derry fans will be there.

Actually I wouldn't mind a nice away trip as well dont mind us tagging along again (aka 2002) ;)

The more the betetr at the game Candystripe. All fans will be welcome, if ye are truly considering attending the game, it would be great if ye could spare 5-10 quid deposit now for your ticket. You can pay online, all is available on www.dundalkfc.com (http://www.dundalkfc.com). Word on our forum is that 300 or so have already paid the deposit or the whoel amount. One such fan lives abroad and bought 7 tickets or somethign liek that!

seand
29/03/2010, 10:31 AM
How many were at Dundalk's last home European match in Dublin, 200 was it?

500-600 in Tolka. Losing the first leg 5-0 doesn't help! Great initiative by Dundalk here, just hope the locals don't embarass themselves and let this opportunity slip away.

ndrog
29/03/2010, 10:53 AM
when it hits the local press tues/weds oriel i have no doubt that there will be momentum on this,its a win win situation for DFC.but we have to keep the campaign going
taking this game to dublin would be a disaster not just for us but for the leauge in general
BETOP

Why would it be a disaster for the rest of the leauge if you have to take the game to dublin ? It might be a disaster for dfc but it wont affect anybody else . Dufc played all our euro games in Dalymount and it didnt effect anyone else but us and Bohs ! Hope the game goes ahead in Oriel but it you have to play it in Dalymount so be it .

sligoman
29/03/2010, 1:30 PM
Don't see why the big appeal for other clubs fans to help out. The line "it'll make a better away section for ye in future" is funny...Dundalk's board shouldn't be getting any praise here, it's only natural they should be trying to get the game in Oriel. About time they did something with the ground and if it's not done in time, it's their own fault.

Dillonman
29/03/2010, 2:08 PM
Don't see why the big appeal for other clubs fans to help out. The line "it'll make a better away section for ye in future" is funny...Dundalk's board shouldn't be getting any praise here, it's only natural they should be trying to get the game in Oriel. About time they did something with the ground and if it's not done in time, it's their own fault.

Technically thats not true, the board took over a sinking ship a number of years ago and have vastly improved a very delapidated ground and tbh its our own fans that where catered for first and then it'll be the away section. Now is actually the best possible time to try and correct that situation.

More info released today:
http://www.dundalkfc.com/news/100329_BETOP2.asp

http://www.dundalkfc.com/news/100329_BETOP2.asp

jinxy lilywhite
29/03/2010, 2:08 PM

I disagree, DFC board should be applauded since Mr. matthews took over the running of the club. the difference in before Mr. Matthews came on board and what he has done for the club since has been remarkable. a balanced budget up until last year. numberous ground developments incl a new shed, a youth development centre, new panels on the main stand, new dressing rooms, refurbishment of the bar has been truly reamrkable because as far a capex is concerned it is his own money( though it is open to correction). whereas under previous regimes we used to have a whip around through town to get a bulb replaced for the floodlights.
This development of oriel while being a great thing solely for dundalk will improve one of the oldest grounds in the league, and hopefully the finished article will not only make oriel look like a 20th century venue but a 21st century venue.
For anything in this league that has ground improvements can really only be a good thing

i think you point in us asking other loi fans to help out has been taken out of context. We know that there are loi fans who follow other loi clubs in europe and the original poster was alluding to that fact that if they could would they consider purchasing the ticket now instead of later. Lets face if this game is in Oriel then tickets will be priceless for the game. I think the demand for the game will be alot higher than the attendence we will be allocated but not enough to have it anywhere else.

If anyone is interested in going to the game or think they would like to be there then they should put their name down. If we get the go ahead for this then it will be a sell out.

mcgonigle
29/03/2010, 2:55 PM
Thanks jinxy, that's exactly what I meant about other LOI fans, not begging other fans to buy tickets just the ones who know they'll attend the game to purchase early if they can to help the initiative

DaveyPats
29/03/2010, 3:10 PM
Good luck with this, if it improves the away section then happy days!

chatterbox
29/03/2010, 9:23 PM
Good luck with this, if it improves the away section then happy days!

Will it though? I can't imagine them putting seats down there. If it were me there would be 3 other sides of the ground I'd rather develop along with replacing the seats in the stand which don't even meet licensing criteria.

And with repect, the away section could hardly get any worse.

Dodge
29/03/2010, 9:30 PM
If you read the proposal, or even Ezekial's informative post in this thread, you'd know how the current away section would be upgraded (and yes it needs it).

I can't understand how anyione would be against a LOI side improving facilities

Dillonman
29/03/2010, 9:58 PM
If you read the proposal, or even Ezekial's informative post in this thread, you'd know how the current away section would be upgraded (and yes it needs it).

I can't understand how anyione would be against a LOI side improving facilities

You would be surprised!!

oriel
29/03/2010, 10:40 PM
Why would it be a disaster for the rest of the leauge if you have to take the game to dublin ? It might be a disaster for dfc but it wont affect anybody else . Dufc played all our euro games in Dalymount and it didnt effect anyone else but us and Bohs ! Hope the game goes ahead in Oriel but it you have to play it in Dalymount so be it .

I think the point here is we are trying to ensure the game is played local and at the same time develop a ground that is in dire need of redevelopment.

The same way you would feel if United Pk (sorry HD Pk) was close to been almost fully seated, and you could play a home game in europe. The same way any fan of this lge would be happy to see any ground redeveloped. Consider the atmosphere and how the whole day would have felt for you if you had played those big euro games in 07-08 at home v Dalymount ?

MeathDrog
30/03/2010, 12:14 AM
Being a tad cynical here, but I for one will not be supporting this scheme. Best of luck to Dundalk and I hope they do well in Europe, but why has it taken this long for the club to get up off its arse and do something about the away section?? That section is barely fit for LOI div. 1 standards, never mind Europe. It just seems that the club were all too happy to leave it in its deteriorated state for all the visiting fans. But once Europe comes along its all "Pity old us, we might not be able to play our home game in Oriel. Please help." If it works, fairplay, but if it doesn't, tough.

Ciaran W
30/03/2010, 12:51 AM
How many people would oriel be able to hold if these new seats get put in ?

Dillonman
30/03/2010, 7:54 AM
How many people would oriel be able to hold if these new seats get put in ?

Just over 3,000 for Europe but in terms of league standards, it'll still be well able to hold around the 5,000 mark.

Dillonman
30/03/2010, 7:58 AM
Being a tad cynical here, but I for one will not be supporting this scheme. Best of luck to Dundalk and I hope they do well in Europe, but why has it taken this long for the club to get up off its arse and do something about the away section?? That section is barely fit for LOI div. 1 standards, never mind Europe. It just seems that the club were all too happy to leave it in its deteriorated state for all the visiting fans. But once Europe comes along its all "Pity old us, we might not be able to play our home game in Oriel. Please help." If it works, fairplay, but if it doesn't, tough.

You for one shoudl know the financial difficulties we where in 5 years ago and when GM came it it was a long term plan tog et the team up to the Premier and at the same time to start re-developing Oriel. Home fans will always be catered for first by any club, and you cant say that they wont but seen as though we are being given a very good opportunity to host this game at Oriel, the first since 91 if Im not mistaken has now giving our board that chance to re-develope the away end quicker than expected along with parts of the rest of the ground. The Youth Developemnt centre was a plan initiated originally a few years ago by the board but couldn't take off until proper funding was achieved and that only happened last year!

oriel
30/03/2010, 10:51 AM
This is correct, the Youth Centre will cost upwards of 5m and the priority was always to finish that first. I agree the away section is very poor, but that should be upgraded with the new seating. Also the plan is also to install seating behind the town goal I think at a later stage, so the away fans will not necessarily be housed in the current area long term. The long term goal is to take the capacity up to 7,000 seats, although it will hardly be required, and I think 5k would be more than sufficient.

Amazing response from Meathdrog.

Fester
30/03/2010, 12:09 PM

This was played in Lansdowne

passerrby
30/03/2010, 3:35 PM
i think its a great idea and one to be supported, am looking forward to following yous in you campaign

Ciaran W
30/03/2010, 6:08 PM
That Shelbourne-deportivo game is the first time i went to see a league of ireland team :) still one of my favourite ever matches

Lamper.sffc
30/03/2010, 6:48 PM
Hope it work out for yous. Im sure there will be nothing better than hosting your european night/s at your own ground.
If it works, it means a ground has been improved for all and in turn helps improve standards in the league. All the best with it.

Dillonman
30/03/2010, 10:25 PM
Hope it work out for yous. Im sure there will be nothing better than hosting your european night/s at your own ground.
If it works, it means a ground has been improved for all and in turn helps improve standards in the league. All the best with it.

Thanks Lampers. Time is runnign out and the club issued a statement today in relation to the FAI supporting us now too.

Can be found at www.dundalkfc.com (http://www.dundalkfc.com)

Ezeikial
30/03/2010, 10:36 PM
Heres the statements from the FAI and from the Minister for Justice and Law Reform

http://www.dundalkfc.com/news/100329_BETOP.asp

The FAI have issued the following statement in support of the BE-TOP CAMPAIGN.

"The people of Dundalk have tremendous loyalty and have shown huge support for their club. That pride and support is one of the main driving forces behind the club’s current success. Although the decision about whether a European fixture can be played in Oriel Park depends entirely on strict UEFA licensing criteria, we welcome this fan based initiative to return European football to Oriel Park and wish the club and everyone involved well in their efforts to do so."

On Monday, the Minister for Justice and Law Reform, Dermot Ahern TD was quick to pledge his full backing for the Dundalk FC campaign this morning in a press statement released by his office. The campaign appears to be gathering a fair amount of momentum with statements of support coming in from political, civic, business, commercial, sporting and cross-community groups

Ahern Backs Euro Football for Oriel
The Minister for Justice and Law Reform, Dermot Ahern TD, has pledged hissupport to Dundalk FC's campaign to bring European football back to Oriel Park.

The Minister urged business, community and the public at large to row in behind the club's campaign to bring back the heady days of European
football to the town. "The club have been doing their homework and they believe they can transform the stadium by adding 3,000 seats which will qualify Oriel Park for the Europa League match in July. If the club don't get that support the game will have to be held outside the region with a subsequent loss of revenue to the locality," the Minister said.

"It has been 19 years since the last European game at Oriel. I personally have very fond memories of some great ties, including the visits of
Tottenham Hotspur and Red Star Belgrade. I believe a new generation should be able to see the Lilywhites play Europa league games in their home town and if enough support is secured in advance ticket sales it will be possible. Time is not on our side and people need to act now but I believe the club can achieve its goal, " the Minister added.

Dillonman
31/03/2010, 9:34 AM
An update was posted on our forum, after 4 days we've only sold 175 with a handful of internet bookings to be added to that list.:mad:

fionnsci
31/03/2010, 10:13 AM
Why do you need to sell the tickets now? You will easily get 3,000 for the game when it comes around. And have you not thought of waiting to sell them at your next home game? You'll sell a couple of hundred.

pineapple stu
31/03/2010, 10:28 AM
Need the cash now to pay for the improvements, I assume.

Dillonman
31/03/2010, 11:03 AM
Why do you need to sell the tickets now? You will easily get 3,000 for the game when it comes around. And have you not thought of waiting to sell them at your next home game? You'll sell a couple of hundred.

Money is needed now to buy the seating and materials needed to bring Oriel up to European standard. Gerry Matthews stated that he doesnt want to borrow any mroe money fromt he banks or that atm as we are paying off a loan that was used to help with the deficit we had last year, circa 200,000. He said he will go ahead with the upgrading if the response is there and this is the reason why they are taking bookings now for the tickets etc so this money can be used towards the upgrading. So far we are well off the mark. Our next home game is Friday week against UCD. There wont be as big a crowd there as there was for the Pats game last week.

GUFCghost
31/03/2010, 11:07 AM
What grounds already have had euro games at them?