PDA

View Full Version : Ireland ask FIFA to be 33rd team in WC

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Celdrog
30/11/2009, 10:25 AM
Blatter says request will be discussed on Wednesday. Bit of a joke I think, we would have only got a draw if Henry hadn't handled. Makes us look like a joke

Source - SSN

gustavo
30/11/2009, 10:31 AM
Totally ridiculous at this stage

OneRedArmy
30/11/2009, 10:36 AM
But everybody loves the Irish.........

What is this country coming to? Naive in the extreme.

Alf Honn
30/11/2009, 10:36 AM
Embarrassing

irishfan86
30/11/2009, 10:37 AM
Who cares what it looks like, if they're not gonna give us a fair chance to compete for a spot, then giving us a spot is fine. Nobody asked for a free ride, all we asked was for a fair chance to compete for a spot.

irishfan86
30/11/2009, 10:40 AM
From RTE:

With a replay ruled out, Blatter claimed the FAI had subsequently requested to be included as an extra country at the World Cup.

'Naturally they were unhappy with what happened and asked very humbly whether they could be team number 33,' said Blatter.

'I will bring it to the attention of the executive committee but if we do that, we will also have to bring in Costa Rica.'

The Costa Ricans believe they too were eliminated unfairly - this time by an offside goal scored by Uruguay - but Blatter's tone suggested it was inconceivable FIFA would add any more countries to the 32-team finals next year.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2009/1130/ireland_blatters.html

paul_oshea
30/11/2009, 10:56 AM
id take it.

it would actually bring back some credibility in the "fair play" slogan.

carloz
30/11/2009, 10:56 AM
I am simply cringing at this stage. It cant and wont happen. We are being made to look like fools now from the foreign media

Emmet7
30/11/2009, 10:57 AM
Blatter says request will be discussed on Wednesday. Bit of a joke I think, we would have only got a draw if Henry hadn't handled. Makes us look like a joke

Source - SSN

Do you not agree it's a far bigger joke that France are in the World Cup on the basis of a guy practically throwing the ball across the goalmouth to another player?

The only joke in all of this is that France cheated their way to the world cup, and are laughing at the poor dumb Irish who don't know any better. The integrity of the game, and the integrity of the World Cup has been destroyed, by a few people looking to earn extra cash from TV deals.

We know FIFA care nothing about the integrity of the game, so it's left to genuine true supporters to stand up for the integrity of the game.

Basically we were kicked between the legs by FIFA with the seedings and we were kicked between the legs by Henry/Hansson/FIFA over the goal that never was, and yet you have people saying "It's grand, we should get over it, it would be embarrassing to complain".

Where is the pride of all the people who say such things? Imagine if we said to the English when they ruled Ireland, it's grand, don't worry about it, it's getting embarrassing to complain at this stage.

This goal will be as wrong in 50 years as it was the night of the match. In 50 years people will look back and say, Ireland were cheated, and some people did nothing about it.

total hoofball
30/11/2009, 11:08 AM
The neck of Delaney gets bigger and bigger

Jesus if FIFA give bonus world cup places on based of referee errors then all bloody 200 teams would have right to claim a place in tournament

chew on your sour grapes Delaney, what goes around comes around :)

Pauro 76
30/11/2009, 11:12 AM
Oh God. Can we not let it go? It's getting absolutely desperate. From the world on our side to the world laughing at us.

HammerNThongs
30/11/2009, 11:12 AM
Embarrassing beyond belief...

Ash
30/11/2009, 11:13 AM
Read somewhere that Costa Rica are looking at this situation and if Ireland are
#33 they will look to be #34 as they were knocked out by an offside goal from
Uraguay

Alf Honn
Everybody feels aggrieved at what happened but once the replay suggestion was nailed, that's it.

Desperate Delaney making a total donkey of himself and the country; he should move on and admit those madly priced Vantage club tkts needed to be vastly reduced!

elroy
I think this request was made in the few days following the game. In fairness to the FAI, if they did nothing, there would be complaints as well. Its not going to happen but like the replay was worth a try at the time.

At least the words Blatter used this time are more acceptable i.e. use of the word cheating!

“How can it happen that all over the world, through tv cameras, we have seen through a cheating handball that a pass was given for a goal?” said Blatter.

“Everyone is asking what is and what isn’t fair play. The highest crime in football is touching the ball with the hands.”

Read more: http://www.breakingnews.ie/sport/blatter-fai-ask-for-south-africa-berth-436363.html#ixzz0YLPBeKZS

bitored
30/11/2009, 11:16 AM
I agree that this is getting a bit ridiculous but no more ridiculous than that clown Blatter being the fat controller of world football - how ridiculous is that.
I also take exception to his comparison of our case to Costa Rica
Regarding the Republic's case, the president added that Costa Rica, who also believe they were unfairly denied a place in the finals - this time because of an offside goal from Uruguay - would also have to be acknowledged if extra places are discussed
In Costa Rica's case there is no allegation of deliberate cheating - it was a simple refereeing error, not deliberate cheating

foureyes
30/11/2009, 11:17 AM
Read somewhere that Costa Rica are looking at this situation and if Ireland are
#33 they will look to be #34 as they were knocked out by an offside goal from
Uraguay

we could just playoff against costa rica for the phantom non-existant 33rd spot.

it would have to be a neutral venue - i suggest either Atlantis or that island in Mortal Kombat.

O'Shea's Boot
30/11/2009, 11:18 AM
its embarrassing - its over and that should be that

Crosby87
30/11/2009, 11:24 AM
This is getting ridiculous. Wins over Cyprus and one goal against france in 200 minutes do not make a World Cup Team.

the doc
30/11/2009, 11:24 AM
Whats wrong with us, going as the 33rd team? I'd take it like a shot!

I think this could be on the cards! ;)

SA here we come!

foureyes
30/11/2009, 11:25 AM
the Eire 33 campaign starts here!

geysir
30/11/2009, 11:27 AM
Embarrassed? you have to be joking.
The first impression of that game has already gone around the world and indelibly printed.
There is nothing that Delaney can do to alter that.
An intentional handball goal is the lowest of the low, in a game where the outplayed fancied team were reduced to diving in the box. There is only one team to carry the embarrassed label.

As to Blatter's comparison with an offside goal :rolleyes:

Emmet7
30/11/2009, 11:29 AM
Everybody feels aggrieved at what happened but once the replay suggestion was nailed, that's it.

Nailed by FIFA, an organisation up to its neck in corruption, and FFF who were never going to agree to a replay. That would be like asking someone in court who carried out a crime against you if they wanted to go to prison.

tiktok
30/11/2009, 11:33 AM
Do you not agree it's a far bigger joke that France are in the World Cup on the basis of a guy practically throwing the ball across the goalmouth to another player?

The only joke in all of this is that France cheated their way to the world cup, and are laughing at the poor dumb Irish who don't know any better.

A player handling a ball being a bigger joke than a national association asking for an extra spot to be created in a competition they didn't qualify for, for the Love of God, will you ever just shut up.

France didn't cheat their way to the world Cup, they played through an entire qualifying group in which they came second, they were drawn against us in the play-off. They travelled to Dublin and won the first leg. They were well on top in injury time when they scored, Henry obviously cheated, but to suggest that France are only in the World Cup because of that two second incident is pathetic.

They could have won through on penalties anyway.
Looking for a 33rd spot is just pathetic. I'm more angry at Delaney than Henry at this stage.

Emmet7
30/11/2009, 11:39 AM
A player handling a ball being a bigger joke than a national association asking for an extra spot to be created in a competition they didn't qualify for, for the Love of God, will you ever just shut up.

France didn't cheat their way to the world Cup, they played through an entire qualifying group in which they came second, they were drawn against us in the play-off. They travelled to Dublin and won the first leg. They were well on top in injury time when they scored, Henry obviously cheated, but to suggest that France are only in the World Cup because of that two second incident is pathetic.

They could have won through on penalties anyway.
Looking for a 33rd spot is just pathetic. I'm more angry at Delaney than Henry at this stage.

The main joke on this forum is you to be honest.

Most people who say we should move on are certainly not true fans and they are certainly not friends of the Irish team.

When the Irish team have friends like you, who needs enemies.

I'm not that bothered if we get a replay or a 33rd spot or not. But I know for a fact the players gave their all to play at the world cup and definitely want a reply, more than every fan in Ireland, because they gave more effort than every fan and many may now never play at the world cup.

I think the FAI are as big a clowns as everyone else, but they are representing the interests of the Irish team, that's all. When Delaney says he wants a replay, he is merely representing the views of the players who want a replay.

So are you saying that Robbie Keane, Kilbane, O'Shea and St. Ledger are also stupid for looking for a replay?

They don't think it's embarrassing or stupid to look for a replay. When you call people stupid to look for a replay you also call the players I mention and other players stupid. Players that shed blood and sweat to get to the play-off stage.

Yet we have people like you who think it's a bad idea. I pity the Irish players to have people like you supporting them, support them when times are good, but when the players need genuine support, we have 'fans' abandoning the players.

You are nothing more than a sunshine fan, support the team when there is something to be got out of it, and once the chance of qualification has gone, abandon the players.

I doubt they want fans like you following them around.

I hope you and others are proud for calling the Irish players stupid for looking for a replay. Well done mate, take a bow.

brendy_éire
30/11/2009, 11:39 AM
This is a bit pathetic.

Emmet7
30/11/2009, 11:44 AM
This is a bit pathetic.

So anyone including the players who seek a replay is pathetic?

Simple yes or no answer is enough.

OneRedArmy
30/11/2009, 11:47 AM
Most people who say we should move on are certainly not true fans and they are certainly not friends of the Irish team.The players have moved on.

Why are you still whining like a girl?

danthesaint
30/11/2009, 11:53 AM

Most people who say we should move on are certainly not true fans and they are certainly not friends of the Irish team.

I'm not that bothered if we get a replay or a 33rd spot or not. But I know for a fact the players gave their all to play at the world cup and definitely want a reply, more than every fan in Ireland, because they gave more effort than every fan and many may now never play at the world cup.

I think the FAI are as big a clowns as everyone else, but they are representing the interests of the Irish team, that's all. When Delaney says he wants a replay, he is merely representing the views of the players who want a replay.

So are you saying that Robbie Keane, Kilbane, O'Shea and St. Ledger are also stupid for looking for a replay?

They don't think it's embarrassing or stupid to look for a replay. When you call people stupid to look for a replay you also call the players I mention and other players stupid. Players that shed blood and sweat to get to the play-off stage.

Yet we have people like you who think it's a bad idea. I pity the Irish players to have people like you supporting them, support them when times are good, but when the players need genuine support, we have 'fans' abandoning the players.

You are nothing more than a sunshine fan, support the team when there is something to be got out of it, and once the chance of qualification has gone, abandon the players.

I hope you and others are proud for calling the Irish players stupid for looking for a replay. Well done mate, take a bow.

in fairness, there is nothing in the ireland team that represents us, they all play on the mainland. our manager thinks our league is sh*t

calling for a replay or to go to the world cup in 33rd place is mad.
nobody called for a replay when georgia played in dublin or even didnt play in there homeland, nobody was given out when damien duff was diving all over place in the world cup in 2002.

to say the players gave their all is wrong, they didnt, they could have beat bulgaria, montenegro, and italy, then we wouldnt be talkin about a playoff we would already be there

Emmet7
30/11/2009, 11:55 AM
Thanks Spanner.

I suspect it will haunt them all till the day they die. I definitely think there was a feeling of unfinished business there among the players from 2002, a case of what if. I think it's sad, when you see the current Irish players who would walk through walls to play for their team and compare it with the likes of Stephen Ireland who couldn't be bothered flying over to Dublin for a match.

They make so many sacrifices, away from family and friends, giving up some of their summer holidays to play friendlies, risking injury and all that. Look at the price Rowland paid to play for Ireland. The players have been badly affected by it, and it doesn't help that people go around saying forget about it. Yes the FAI may be muppets but the players deserve some justice and they need someone to represent them.

I doubt corrupt FIFA will concede anything but if people make enough noise and fuss, they just might. I think there needs to be a clearout at FIFA and hopefully this event will be the catalyst to all that. That and bringing in TMO's. It's worth keeping the heat on for that alone.

Maroon 7
30/11/2009, 11:55 AM
Whatever about a replay which seemed a reasonable request. Asking for an extra place is too much.

Leeside Swagger
30/11/2009, 12:03 PM
The FAI have again proven that they are a bunch of Clowns, after being told we cant have a replay they then ask "Can we just go through to the world cup then?". Eh no lads.
They wasted the opportunity to be push hard for video technology and actually make a positive impact on world football.

DeNiro
30/11/2009, 12:05 PM
When I saw the title of this thread a few minutes ago, I thought it was a joke. Can anyone explain how it would be logistically possible to run a 33/or even 34 team format?

sixesandsevens
30/11/2009, 12:09 PM
Fair play to you John Delaney. You had the world on your side after the France match and even managed to conduct yourself well over the past two weeks, you had FIFA on the ropes. But it seems Sepp Blatter was waiting in the long grass all that time waiting for you to slip up. And what a slip, its got to be the stupidest of all the FAI brainwaves in its long history. Absolutely ridiculous... FIFA 1 FAI 0.

sixesandsevens
30/11/2009, 12:14 PM
If it was ever to pay off we'd need to hope and pray that Chile get kicked out. Other than that its a total no hoper.

http://goal.com/en-us/news/82/south-america/2009/11/27/1651182/rangers-relegation-challenge-could-cost-chile-world-cup

PartySaint
30/11/2009, 12:15 PM
But I know for a fact the players gave their all to play at the world cup and definitely want a reply

There you go folks, our players gave their all so we deserve to be the 33rd team in the World Cup:rolleyes:

I presume you held up your hands staright after the Georgia match and wanted to give them a replay after the most ridiculous penalty decision i have ever seen robbed them of the game in Croker

rerun
30/11/2009, 12:22 PM
When I saw the title of this thread a few minutes ago, I thought it was a joke. Can anyone explain how it would be logistically possible to run a 33/or even 34 team format?

One extra team in two groups?

tiktok
30/11/2009, 12:23 PM
Brilliant

Can I borrow your superfan handbook, does it come with an inflatable shamrock from Jacob's?

Reese Witherspoon is far too popular, she needs a few enemies.

I'm not that bothered if we get a replay or a 33rd spot or not.
Why are you ranting at me so

But I know for a fact the players gave their all to play at the world cup and definitely want a reply, more than every fan in Ireland, because they gave more effort than every fan and many may now never play at the world cup.
No-one is questioning that. Do you read other people's posts at all?

I think the FAI are as big a clowns as everyone else
For what reason? Looking for imaginary positions at the World Cup to be created?

The replay isn't in question here, creating imaginary spots in the World Cup is, I haven't heard any player stating they want that. If they do come out and state it, then yes, I'd consider that action to be stupid [and embarassing].

I pity the Irish players to have people like you supporting them, support them when times are good, but when the players need genuine support, we have 'fans' abandoning the players.

I'm sure Robbie Keane will eventually, through years of therapy, get over his abandonment issues that have come about as a result of my post, which didn't mention him.

This is typical of the kind of superfan nonsense we've seen in recent days. If you are angry at the way we went out but ultimately accept it and recognise that FIFA e.g. can't create an imaginary slot for every aggrieved team, then you are not a real 'fan'. If you are embarassed by calls to invade France, Ban Gilette, storm the French Embassy, you are not a real 'fan'. If you don't join one of the Countless 'I hate Henry' groups on Facebook, you are not a fan.

I think I'm far less likely to stalk them at home than you are to be perfectly honest.

Stop making things up and if you can, stop writing completely ill-informed rubbish.
I am now standing back from my workstation to take my bow.
**bows**

OwlsFan
30/11/2009, 12:23 PM
Fair play to you John Delaney. You had the world on your side after the France match and even managed to conduct yourself well over the past two weeks, you had FIFA on the ropes. But it seems Sepp Blatter was waiting in the long grass all that time waiting for you to slip up. And what a slip, its got to be the stupidest of all the FAI brainwaves in its long history. Absolutely ridiculous... FIFA 1 FAI 0.

And where exactly did having the world on our side get us? No place!

I am not in the least bit embarrassed by this approach. FIFA and Blatter wanted France at the WC so there was no hope of a replay as that would endanger France's participation. So a bit of creative thinking - why not have a 33rd team?

If you don't ask, you don't get. Not much hope of course but I think every avenue should be explored. Sympathy gets us??? Well, sympathy. Keep the pressure on Blatter!

I presume you held up your hands staright after the Georgia match and wanted to give them a replay after the most ridiculous penalty decision i have ever seen robbed them of the game in Croker.

For the 100th time, where was the cheating for that goal? Did the result affect the qualification in any way?

Stuttgart88
30/11/2009, 12:25 PM
I seriously wonder about the intellect of those (including Roy Keane apologist-in-chief Tom Humphreys) who see a similarity between the France game and the Georgia game other than bad luck for the team on the receiving end. How many times does it have to be spelt out?

danthesaint
30/11/2009, 12:27 PM
For the 100th time, where was the cheating for that goal? Did the result affect the qualification in any way?

yes it was 1-0 to Georgia at the time, with 20mins to go i think, so it affected the match, which in turn affect our positioning the group imo

Réiteoir
30/11/2009, 12:28 PM
Wouldn't letting a 33rd team in damage the INTEGRITY of the World Cup????????

Newryrep
30/11/2009, 12:28 PM
For the 100th time, where was the cheating for that goal?

Did the result affect the qualification in any way?

Probably not

Are you seriously asking this question ? no penalty possibly no equaliser, no equaliser no winning goal, no 3 points no top 8 2nd spot , no play off

Maybe Norway could appeal on Georgia behalf

Laughing stock

twoenz
30/11/2009, 12:29 PM

One group of 5 teams, Ireland to be a wildcard at the very end.

Logistically there's bound to be a 33rd hotel that is on standby for the teams, and if we were paired in a host town with say, Honduras, we'd bring in fans that wouldn't necessarily be there otherwise.

But it's a daft idea on the FAI's part and would make a mockery of the whole thing. Decisions happen. If we get in this time we should just apply after the event from now on in case people like Rowlands get injured in qualifying games.

JT,New'09
30/11/2009, 12:30 PM
Ur all worse than pack of women

PartySaint
30/11/2009, 12:30 PM

Eh yes, if we had of lost that game you dont no if we would have even made the play-offf

DeNiro
30/11/2009, 12:31 PM
One extra team in two groups?

Fine, but where would the venues be? They would need to be allocated in the coming week. Surely teams in a five team group would be disadvantaged than those in four. If three teams were to qualify we would have a last 18 instead of 16 (I presume).

It's ludicrous. The FAI has lost the plot totally.

sixesandsevens
30/11/2009, 12:37 PM
And where exactly did having the world on our side get us? No place!

It didn't get us anywhere but the incident was putting serious pressure on FIFA to consider replay technology/extra officials etc. Something that the FAI could have been proud of if nothing else.

I am not in the least bit embarrassed by this approach. FIFA and Blatter wanted France at the WC so there was no hope of a replay as that would endanger France's participation. So a bit of creative thinking - why not have a 33rd team?

Well good for you if you don't think its an embarrassing request. If FIFA reject a replay well naturally enough they're going to be accommodating enough to allow an extra team into the competition :rolleyes: WHich would mean putting more pressure on the fixture list, accommodation, transportation, etc, etc in a country thats barely fit to run it in the first place. Not to mention having 32 other teams against it, cause none of them will want to play an extra group game, we'd be the lepers of the WC. FIFA don't do creative thinking, I think the goal line technology goes a long way to prove that one.

Réiteoir
30/11/2009, 12:38 PM
Probably not

Are you seriously asking this question ? no penalty possibly no equaliser, no equaliser no winning goal, no 3 points no top 8 2nd spot , no play off

Maybe Norway could appeal on Georgia behalf

Laughing stock

Actually - I have to meet with Sondre Kåfjord (the Norwegian FA President) and Karen Espelund (the General Secretary) this afternoon - I'll see what they say

Torn-Ado
30/11/2009, 12:39 PM
Anyone else think that maybe Blatter is talking out of his hole here. Maybe I'm naive but surely the people running football in Ireland are not daft enough to ask for an extra place to be put for them in South Africa. There's a chance Blatter just exaggerated Delaneys request to make the FAI look like the unreasonable, ridiculous ones in the whole saga.

I wouldn't be surprised if Delaney and the FAI soon come out and deny the statement.