PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Cup Final - Mid and Post-mortem

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

dcfcsteve
22/11/2009, 2:23 PM
I'll start this off a tad early :)

Windy conditions, but at least it's dry.

Quite a few empty seats visible - so much for the mammoth demand.

Does anyone else think that Boco looks a bit like Anelka ?

And Damien Rico needs to grasp that Fingal County is an administrative region, and NOT a football team.....! :eek:

Here's hoping for a good game, despite the wind.

roinuj
22/11/2009, 2:34 PM
its like watching paint dry.
what a balls of a game

weecountyman
22/11/2009, 2:46 PM
Okay standard, and who knew that the creator of Sherlock Holmes would get mentions from both commentators? Am I alone in questioning Rico's supposed "intellect"? He just strikes me as a bit of a Eubank.

blue til i die
22/11/2009, 2:50 PM
Nice move from fingal there...scrappy game alright.

Rico's referring to them as "Fingal County" is pretty funny too....

Jofspring
22/11/2009, 2:56 PM
Started off pretty scrappy alright with not much happening. Has picked up a good bit in the last 15mins of the first half though. The wind is incredible.

weecountyman
22/11/2009, 2:57 PM
Looks freezing!

dcfcsteve
22/11/2009, 2:59 PM
Okay standard, and who knew that the creator of Sherlock Holmes would get mentions from both commentators? Am I alone in questioning Rico's supposed "intellect"? He just strikes me as a bit of a Eubank.

Rico has verbal diaorrhea (sp?).

He does talk a lot of balls - half the time it just sounds like he's talking just for the sake of talking.

Longfordian
22/11/2009, 3:03 PM
And Damien Rico needs to grasp that Fingal County is an administrative region, and NOT a football team.....! :eek:

One and the same according to a certain D9 club's fans!.

Dillonman
22/11/2009, 3:05 PM
WHose this brillaint and phenominal Conan Doyle they keep mentioning? My god for an apparent expert on the LOI, Rico hasnt got one bloody name right all!

Doomofman
22/11/2009, 3:05 PM
It seems Conan Byrne is now Conan Doyle according to Rico

dfx-
22/11/2009, 3:06 PM
I thought Fingal County were the better team to be honest.

Dillonman
22/11/2009, 3:20 PM
Goal 1 nil Sligo

Schumi
22/11/2009, 3:21 PM
Goal was a bit scrappy but Sligo deserved it I think.

Dillonman
22/11/2009, 3:23 PM
Fingals defence is awful in the second half!

Candystripe
22/11/2009, 3:26 PM
The wind is incredible.

Looks like a mild day compared to the epic final between St Pats and Derry 3 years ago.

Nice to see a real team with fans just score there now.

blue til i die
22/11/2009, 3:37 PM
8105 at it!

dcfcsteve
22/11/2009, 3:39 PM
8105 at it!

Almost 700 unsold tickets.

Yet some were arguing on here for another 1,200 seats to be installed due to pent-up demand.... :eek:

Réiteoir
22/11/2009, 3:49 PM
Surprised at the lack of any card there for the Sligo keeper on the penalty decision.

I suppose it's a Cup Final and we want to try to keep everyone on the pitch if we can help it

Dillonman
22/11/2009, 3:50 PM
Sligo's keeper has lost the plot the last few minutes!

Leejo
22/11/2009, 3:52 PM
Almost 700 unsold tickets.

Yet some were arguing on here for another 1,200 seats to be installed due to pent-up demand.... :eek:

In fairness it looks like A LOT if not all of those empty seats are on the Fingal side. Huge amount of free seats in the stand and behind the goal where the Fingal fans are.

fionnsci
22/11/2009, 3:55 PM

Réiteoir
22/11/2009, 3:55 PM
Oh Lord! :D

This is a massive onion in the ointment

Mr A
22/11/2009, 3:57 PM
Well done Fingal, good side.

carrickharp
sh1te.

Dillonman
OMG...FIngal are in bloody Europe next season!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Réiteoir
22/11/2009, 3:58 PM
Congratulations to Sporting Fingal - shows you have to play all the way to the final whistle.

Europe will be interesting next year

weecountyman
22/11/2009, 3:58 PM
well done Sporting Fingal (not Fingal county rico!)

superfrank
22/11/2009, 4:01 PM
Congrats to Sporting.

holidaysong
Sligo really only have themselves to blame for throwing that away. Their goalkeeper just lost the plot completely in the last ten minutes.

weecountyman
I know this won't be overly popular, but we need to remember that most clubs on the continent are financed by cities or councils. Unfortunately we've followed our former colonial masters concept of butcher, baker and arms dealer funding clubs. I'd love to see more county/town councils back local sides, but maybe not in the same way as Fingal.

holidaysong
22/11/2009, 4:02 PM
OMG...FIngal are in bloody Europe next season!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They also start in the 2nd qualifying round.

dfx-
22/11/2009, 4:03 PM
Hope their rested players feel good going home :)

Don't think it was a penalty, but Fingal well deserved win...

total hoofball
22/11/2009, 4:04 PM
They'll be dancing on the streets of Fingal County Council tonight

fionnsci
22/11/2009, 4:04 PM
Devestating for Sligo.

Really don't like Fingal but if this gives them a bit of momentum and a regular fanbase then I suppose we'll manage with them in the PD.

blue til i die
22/11/2009, 4:05 PM
"travesty of justice" me hole.

Fingal kept going to the end and fair play to them. Well done!

dcfcsteve
22/11/2009, 4:06 PM
A crazy finale to a crazy season.

Let's hope we never see the likes of 2009 again....... :eek:

Sumac
22/11/2009, 4:06 PM
Would have to feel for Sligo after that - Very good game in poor conditions. Feel sorry for Alan Keane

Mr A
22/11/2009, 4:07 PM
I really don't understand the animosity, sometimes bordering on hatred, for new clubs in this league.

dcfcsteve
22/11/2009, 4:08 PM
Devestating for Sligo.

Really don't like Fingal but if this gives them a bit of momentum and a regular fanbase then I suppose we'll manage with them in the PD.

True. Hopefully the promotional efforts Sporting Fingal County have been doing over the last 2 years, and particularly in the last few weeks, will start to see bodies coming through the turnstiles.

Though they really need to do something with that stadium of theirs.

dcfcsteve
22/11/2009, 4:09 PM
In fairness it looks like A LOT if not all of those empty seats are on the Fingal side. Huge amount of free seats in the stand and behind the goal where the Fingal fans are.

Were tickets not available on the day to anyone who turned up.....?

monkey9
22/11/2009, 4:13 PM
I feel sorry for Sligo. The better team lost!!!

dcfcsteve
22/11/2009, 4:13 PM
I know this won't be overly popular, but we need to remember that most clubs on the continent are financed by cities or councils. Unfortunately we've followed our former colonial masters concept of butcher, baker and arms dealer funding clubs. I'd love to see more county/town councils back local sides, but maybe not in the same way as Fingal.

That's simply not true WCM.

A very small number are in that position. A few more have access to civic facilities, like stadiums. But to claim the majority of continental clubs are civic entities is just not true by any stretch.

Many councils over here aren't doing too great at basic tasks like clearing-up gravity, sorting out housing and keeping the streets clean. Why the hell would you want them to take their eye off their core operations by indulging in fantasy notions such as directly participating in a minority sport in the country (LOI) ? :eek:

weecountyman
22/11/2009, 4:19 PM
That's simply not true WCM.

A very small number are in that position. A few more have access to civic facilities, like stadiums. But to claim the majority of continental clubs are civic entities is just not true by any stretch.

Many councils over here aren't doing too great at basic tasks like clearing-up gravity, sorting out housing and keeping the streets clean. Why the hell would you want them to take their eye off their core operations by indulging in fantasy notions such as directly participating in a minority sport in the country (LOI) ? :eek:

It is true, in Germany all but 3 of the Bundesliga sides play in civic facilities, while all but 1 receive local city/regional council support. They mainly work as a public-private partnership with funding for youth training and "development" as well as tax breaks and reduced utility rates.

While local municipal authorities in the Republic have their faults, they can boost the local economy and development (social and infrastructure) by co-ordinating local sports. SDCC saw the benefit of Rovers in Tallaght, FCC likewise with Sporting Fingal. A PP partnership is the only way for the majority of clubs to go.

total hoofball
22/11/2009, 4:26 PM
I really don't understand the animosity, sometimes bordering on hatred, for new clubs in this league.

I don't see any level of animosity for the likes of Wexford Youths

This country is on its knees because of the cosy relationship between politics and developers

Sporting Fingal are funded by Gerry Gannon, a property developer, a Fianna Fáil benefactor and a member of infamous Anglo Irish Bank 'Golden Circle' that is inevitably going to cost taxpayers millions. it is not ethically appropriate that this man is funding Fingal County Council's football franchise when this country has been economically and socially devastated by political and developer relationships.

That is why Sporting Fingal are hated.

Longfordian
22/11/2009, 4:28 PM
Unlucky Sligo, would have preferred them to win it but credit to Fingal for keeping going. Pleased for Kirby even though he didn't get on. Paisley's a nice lad too, even if most down here don't appreciate the way he left us.

SMorgan
22/11/2009, 4:29 PM
That a number of cup finals since the change to non-winter football that the game has been played a downpour and swirling winds. Fair play to both clubs for the second half. Unfortunately, gone are the days of topping up the tan at a cup final.

Réiteoir
22/11/2009, 4:33 PM
That's the sacrifice we have to make in return for fairly decent football for the rest of the season.

Saying that - the Norwegian Cup Final last year which I was at was played in temperatures of -4 degrees and freezing rain. Brilliant day it was walking back from the stadium in the snow

Flume
22/11/2009, 4:34 PM
Congratulations to Fingal. Deserved to at least bring it to extra time. They were the team that kept going till the final whistle.

I thought it was a great game of football too. Some of the play was excellent. I can't help but wonder if the league would advance in strides if the production was better. RTE's effort was embarassing. The camera work was shocking and the commentary was nothing short of insulting. Constantly getting players names wrong and even the teams name!How could you expect the neutral to watch that? Why bother at all if you're only going to make a half arse attempt. The product is good, the production is awful.

PartySaint
22/11/2009, 4:36 PM
Where was Con Murphy? Peter Collins doesnt have a clue

OneRedArmy
22/11/2009, 4:40 PM
Where was Con Murphy? On Radio 1 with Johnny Mac and Jim McLaughlin. Much better line-up IMO.