PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Cup Final - Mid and Post-mortem

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

Boo_Boy
22/11/2009, 10:08 PM
The crowd shots of the Fingal fans were embarrasing. The average age of the SF fanbase looked about 9.

Still older than the franchise :o.

MeathDrog
22/11/2009, 10:11 PM
Still older than the franchise :o.
And about the same number of paying fans too.

passinginterest
22/11/2009, 10:12 PM
Because he has school in the morning? The crowd shots of the Fingal fans were embarrasing. The average age of the SF fanbase looked about 9.

Doesn't that bode well for the future and what they're trying to establish in the community? I have my doubts about the Fingal project but if it's to be a success they need to target very young fans who will establish a support base into the future, it's very difficult to attract older teens and adults (unless they are dragged along by their children).

Congratulations to Fingal on their success, they played to the end and despite being outplayed for long spells in the game they got the result. Owen Doyle really deserved the man of the match award, he had a fantastic game. Well done to Sligo too, they played a great part in a very decent game despite the most difficult conditions. Both sides put together some great passing moves that would have graced any game. Looking forward to next season already.

The Lep
22/11/2009, 10:13 PM
Sorry you don't have a clue.

Yes we have a sunshine support, I'll be the first to say it but I can guarantee you they have ALL been at the Showgrounds at some stage in their life and probably more than once. Same cannot be said of Fingal.

Sligo is a football town and even the sunshiners will be hurt by the loss today. If you had any idea of the buzz around the town in recent days you'd understand this.

"but I can guarantee you they have ALL been at the Showgrounds at some stage in their life and probably more than once. Same cannot be said of Fingal."
You have no way of knowing if that comment is true.

I can see it now for next season " our burgers are better than your burgers" :rolleyes:

The Lep
22/11/2009, 10:16 PM
Did I once say the fact we had more fans meant we have more of a right to it? Fingal won on the pitch, therefore they deserve it completely.

All I was saying is that how little it meant to the Fingal "support" compared to the devastation of the Rovers fans.

You also have no way of proving that comment. Only the diehard sligo faithful would have been and still are devastated and rightly so.

sligofan4ever
22/11/2009, 10:16 PM
Good post.
On the flags, i dont know there was a box full of them outside so hopefully most that had them will come to morton next season. Can i ask the same question about those dressed as santas ? :)

The bird is the Fingal Raven .

When are we ever going to get the chance to dress as Santa's over the course of the season :o I can see the fanbase growing alright. Dont see why people are having a go at them because they have ayoung fanbase, that can only be a good thing IMO, they will attract friends and further down the line bring their kids to games, and tell them of how they watched their local team get promoted and win the FAI Cup in one season (much like alot of Rovers supporters here 15 years ago :)). I know I joked about the Fingal support and all, but ye showed up for your team on the day and made noise throughout, as did we. Hopefully there are more lively, exciting games to come next season between Rovers and Fingal, I know the fans will want a win over ye next season, thats for sure!

Nah Nah Nah Nah
22/11/2009, 10:17 PM
Ive until the start of next season to celebrate :D

You'll find out in time that these days don't come around too often so you should really go out and celebrate rather then coming home to post on a forum.

Well done anyways. Second half was a very good game I thought. Always thought we were going to need a second but disappointing with the way the first goal came from just a long ball over the top that should have been dealt with.

Personally couldn't give two hoots whether you consider the majority of our fans real fans or not. Lets talk if the same situation happens to ye some day. At least ye brought more then 42 to Tallaght this time.

Best of luck in Europe

sligofan4ever
22/11/2009, 10:17 PM
"but I can guarantee you they have ALL been at the Showgrounds at some stage in their life and probably more than once. Same cannot be said of Fingal."
You have no way of knowing if that comment is true.

I can see it now for next season " our burgers are better than your burgers" :rolleyes:

You've already lost that battle Lep, and you'll agree once you get a nice tasty burger from Franks.

The Lep
22/11/2009, 10:20 PM
You've already lost that battle Lep, and you'll agree once you get a nice tasty burger from Franks.

I'll start a burger thread next season ;)

brendy_éire
22/11/2009, 10:21 PM
we are not a big club but a growing one and it is amazing all the negativity against us. there are enough people who put the league down without league fans turning on each other.

I'm with you on that one. I'm not exactly a fan of having another Dublin club in the League, but what Fingal have achieved in the space of two years is amazing. Coming from nowhere to gain promotion within two years and winning a cup in the process. It's really something.
Alright, they may have a small fanbase, but hopefully that'll grow in the years to come. And, aye, they have a young fanbase too. Surely it's a good thing to have kids at games though?

The Lep
22/11/2009, 10:24 PM
You'll find out in time that these days don't come around too often so you should really go out and celebrate rather then coming home to post on a forum.

Well done anyways. Second half was a very good game I thought. Always thought we were going to need a second but disappointing with the way the first goal came from just a long ball over the top that should have been dealt with.

Personally couldn't give two hoots whether you consider the majority of our fans real fans or not. Lets talk if the same situation happens to ye some day. At least ye brought more then 42 to Tallaght this time.

Best of luck in Europe

True that they dont come round that often but what makes you think im at home :)
Did you find out what that loud beeping in sligo town was?

O hang on, its on the news. It was the sligo open top bus backing into the garage :)

The Lep
22/11/2009, 10:26 PM
No I don't have proof, but I have this other thing called Common Sense. Should try it sometime.

You dont have proof yet you say that all of sligo's support there today has been to a sligo league game. Common sense says otherwise :)

Boo_Boy
22/11/2009, 10:27 PM
O hang on, its on the news. It was the sligo open top bus backing into the garage :)

http://www.armslength.com/images/xga/bored.jpg

Nah Nah Nah Nah
22/11/2009, 10:27 PM
True that they dont come round that often but what makes you think im at home :)
Did you find out what that loud beeping in sligo town was?

Well youre either at home or at the dullest celebration party ever if you're posting messages here:)

The Lep
22/11/2009, 10:32 PM
Well youre either at home or at the dullest celebration party ever if you're posting messages here:)

It may be a rare thing up in sligo but there are a good number of fingal fans work for a living :D. I will be celabrating this for a good while yet so why rush.

The Lep
22/11/2009, 10:35 PM
We'll lend it to ye for ye're open top tour of Santry.

Ye'll be able to fit all your fans on it too.

No thanks, we will use the 33 bus as an open top tour of santry isnt safe :rolleyes:

Longfordian
22/11/2009, 10:43 PM
It may be a rare thing up in sligo but there are a good number of fingal fans work for a living :D. I will be celabrating this for a good while yet so why rush.

Seriously do ye not have some sort of celebration on?. I think absolutely any other club would.

sligofan4ever
22/11/2009, 10:45 PM
Seriously do ye not have some sort of celebration on?. I think absolutely any other club would.

Chances are the buses back to Sligo have been more lively than any form of celebration SF fans have had yet.

WoodquayBoy
22/11/2009, 10:53 PM
You know what, it wasn't a singing contest, it doesn't matter a fook that it was, as one disingenous Sligo fun rather pettifly suggested, a match that Sporting fans didn't care aboutl. Sporting won, SLigo lost, that is what the history books will record, and good luck to them. Take yer beating like the men ye claim to be, and not the boys ye are coming across as. Yes I am sure it hurts. Build a bridge. Ye were poor today (at least not the form ye displayed in last few weeks of season), Sporting showed great character, and more power to them

WoodquayBoy
22/11/2009, 10:54 PM
Because he has school in the morning? The crowd shots of the Fingal fans were embarrasing. The average age of the SF fanbase looked about 9.
The fans of the future

Longfordian
22/11/2009, 10:54 PM
Chances are the buses back to Sligo have been more lively than any form of celebration SF fans have had yet.

The players have probably all gone their separate ways as well. Again I can only think back to how I felt and the night that was had by players, fans and directors etc all together in 2003 and I think it's come a bit easy to the Fingal fans. Those posting on here anyway. It's as if it's no more than they should expect. I suppose when you have seen the bad times you learn to appreciate the good all the more.

The Lep
22/11/2009, 11:12 PM
The players have probably all gone their separate ways as well. Again I can only think back to how I felt and the night that was had by players, fans and directors etc all together in 2003 and I think it's come a bit easy to the Fingal fans. Those posting on here anyway. It's as if it's no more than they should expect. I suppose when you have seen the bad times you learn to appreciate the good all the more.

Just because you dont know about it doesnt mean that there isnt any ;)

What are you trying to say with your " It's as if it's no more than they should expect "

The Lep
22/11/2009, 11:15 PM
Could someone please show me where Rovers fans are saying we deserved to win because we had more fans? Where is this sentiment coming from?

If you were there, you'd see what I mean when I say it meant nothing to the Fingal fans and I'd imagine anyone else who was there (bar the Fingal supporters on here) would back me up.

Also I have to say you come across as incredibly bitter towards Sligo Rovers. I think you may be the one who needs to build a bridge.

Again that comment is unfounded and dont use the word bitter as you may get an infraction :rolleyes:

dcfcsteve
22/11/2009, 11:17 PM
I'm not exactly a fan of having another Dublin club in the League, but what Fingal have achieved in the space of two years is amazing. Coming from nowhere to gain promotion within two years and winning a cup in the process. It's really something.

Is it really amazing though ? The clue is in the fact that a club with next to no support week-in week-out manages to have the likes of Eamon Zayed, Stephen Paisley etc on its books. I wonder how they managed that.....?

So no - it's not amazing. It's money. And it's an unsustainable club that bears an uncanny resemblance to the Dublin City experiment. Granted - Fingal are making genuine efforts to tap into their locality, but it takes years to build-up a fan-base for a football team. I doubt Fingal's friendly property backer will continue to throw money at them until they do.

Compare Fingal to Wexford Youths and you'll see the difference between a new club that is genuinely building-up slowly and one that is just using someone else's money to try to fast-track that which can't be expedited. It's difficult to see anything other than a car crash in Fingal's future at some point.

SligoBrewer
22/11/2009, 11:17 PM
The Lep,
RW comes on here and gives a ****ing honest, considered, gutted response and you go all smug about it. WTF?

Would you have been gutted yourself if you lost today?
I doubt it.
In tears?
Hardly.
Would you celebrate well if you won?
Evidently not.

Please leave us the **** alone and quit talking ****e.

MeathDrog
22/11/2009, 11:19 PM
The fans of the future
It's not as if they are the only club without juvenile fans.

dcfcsteve
22/11/2009, 11:21 PM
There have been plenty of goals scored from the off after a goal. My point being that only the real sligo fans stayed behind to show respect to their players for the work they put in .

A lecture on how to be a 'real' football fan.

From the follower of a makey-uppy footballing franchise that's been in existence for barely two years :eek:

For everything else in life there's Mastercard...

Shiba
22/11/2009, 11:28 PM
Im absolutely gutted here!But would like to say congrats to Fingal really thought this one was ours.But thats football.I have one question Is it true that fingal county council is funding ye?

Also just to point out that even do we didnt win on our european trip this season we were severly capped by the Fai at the start of the season I dont think been beat 2-1agg is disgrace.If had what was our finishing team then I think results would have been different.
Also want to say "That I go to all games in a season and for no other reason then I had kids that were frozen after the game I was not willing to hang round any longer then need be.

Also we had alot of sunshiners there today that will use todays game an excuse not to go week in week out and will turn up just at next big game.

The Lep
22/11/2009, 11:59 PM
Is it really amazing though ? The clue is in the fact that a club with next to no support week-in week-out manages to have the likes of Eamon Zayed, Stephen Paisley etc on its books. I wonder how they managed that.....?

So no - it's not amazing. It's money. And it's an unsustainable club that bears an uncanny resemblance to the Dublin City experiment. Granted - Fingal are making genuine efforts to tap into their locality, but it takes years to build-up a fan-base for a football team. I doubt Fingal's friendly property backer will continue to throw money at them until they do.

Compare Fingal to Wexford Youths and you'll see the difference between a new club that is genuinely building-up slowly and one that is just using someone else's money to try to fast-track that which can't be expedited. It's difficult to see anything other than a car crash in Fingal's future at some point.

What does it matter, we just won the cup :D

The Lep
23/11/2009, 12:02 AM
A lecture on how to be a 'real' football fan.

From the follower of a makey-uppy footballing franchise that's been in existence for barely two years :eek:

For everything else in life there's Mastercard...

Another great post from the man himself :D

You arnt in a position to be talking about makey up now are you :D

The Lep
23/11/2009, 12:05 AM
Im absolutely gutted here!But would like to say congrats to Fingal really thought this one was ours.But thats football.I have one question Is it true that fingal county council is funding ye?

Also just to point out that even do we didnt win on our european trip this season we were severly capped by the Fai at the start of the season I dont think been beat 2-1agg is disgrace.If had what was our finishing team then I think results would have been different.
Also want to say "That I go to all games in a season and for no other reason then I had kids that were frozen after the game I was not willing to hang round any longer then need be.

Also we had alot of sunshiners there today that will use todays game an excuse not to go week in week out and will turn up just at next big game.

No, fcc are not funding the club. They are assisting in other ways.

red bellied
23/11/2009, 12:09 AM
The only sligo fans i have respect for and it kills me to say it is those in the far corner of the east stand that stayed and showed their respect to the sligo players until they left the pitch after collecting the medals. Those that turned their backs on their players after the effort they put in are not true fans. There was plenty of fans in red there today that never seen sligo play before or has no intention of doing so unless its a big game so look closer to home before posting silly comments about Sporting Fingal.
You were unlucky today and won nothing this year but whats done is done and its now time to regroup and come out fighting come march all nice and refreshed and bright eyed and bushy tailed for the season ahead.
Im sure sligo will be stronger next season and could push for a euro spot.

I am probably posting on here longer than your club are in existience. Come back and post when you become wiser.

The Lep
23/11/2009, 12:25 AM
The Lep,
RW comes on here and gives a ****ing honest, considered, gutted response and you go all smug about it. WTF?

Would you have been gutted yourself if you lost today?
I doubt it.
In tears?
Hardly.
Would you celebrate well if you won?
Evidently not.

Please leave us the **** alone and quit talking ****e.

Gutted ? yes
In tears? maybe not
There isnt a set law on how and when to celebrate and read a previous post on that subject.

Leave you alone? what are you on about? I could say the same to others on here that constantly have childish digs about fingal. I posted in favour of sligo yet all that comes back is the same all rubbish that has been posted about sporting fingal over and over again and im supposed to agree with it? Am i not like you and your fellow supporters allowed to respond to negative comments about my team that has just won the cup? If you dont like negative comments about your club then please dont post any about others and then play the victim when you dont like the response. Im not here to have a pop at anyone or their club unlike others who seem to enjoy putting us down.

The Lep
23/11/2009, 12:28 AM
I am probably posting on here longer than your club are in existience. Come back and post when you become wiser.

What has the length of your stay on here got to do with anything? :confused:

Lamper.sffc
23/11/2009, 12:47 AM
I don't see any level of animosity for the likes of Wexford Youths

This country is on its knees because of the cosy relationship between politics and developers

Sporting Fingal are funded by Gerry Gannon, a property developer, a Fianna Fáil benefactor and a member of infamous Anglo Irish Bank 'Golden Circle' that is inevitably going to cost taxpayers millions. it is not ethically appropriate that this man is funding Fingal County Council's football franchise when this country has been economically and socially devastated by political and developer relationships.

That is why Sporting Fingal are hated.

Educate yourself on the facts. And then we might talk.

Longfordian
23/11/2009, 1:03 AM
Just because you dont know about it doesnt mean that there isnt any ;)

What are you trying to say with your " It's as if it's no more than they should expect "

That's what I asked you, is there any celebration, meaning could you not have gone to it instead of coming on here?. Im trying to say that from the posts of fans who were there and from your posts it's coming across that you don't feel the same sense of jubilation and ecstacy that comes with having had to wait and to work for success. That's been a pretty universal feeling I'd reckon when a team wins its first important trophy. Anyhow, that's all I'm going to say on it. Enjoy the win, you don't know how long it could be before your next.

Lamper.sffc
23/11/2009, 1:41 AM
Finally got true all the posts. Im pretty ****ed right now so excuse any spellings. What a great night for our club. It was so important we won tonight for the future of our club. We had a decent suport tonight and it was great to see. Fair play to Sligo, what a good team and great support you have. Hopefully we will get there some day.

Thank you to fingal for giving me my best nigth of football. To all the negative posters:p. Who cares. We won the cup and are promoted. Get over it.

SFFC ARE WE ARE WE ARE WE

The Lep
23/11/2009, 1:43 AM
That's what I asked you, is there any celebration, meaning could you not have gone to it instead of coming on here?. Im trying to say that from the posts of fans who were there and from your posts it's coming across that you don't feel the same sense of jubilation and ecstacy that comes with having had to wait and to work for success. That's been a pretty universal feeling I'd reckon when a team wins its first important trophy. Anyhow, that's all I'm going to say on it. Enjoy the win, you don't know how long it could be before your next.

If you bothered to read the thread then you would get your own answers.
If you stood next to me at the final whistle then you would know how i felt and that feeling hasnt left me :D. Keep at it, you are doing well.

dcfcsteve
23/11/2009, 2:19 AM
What does it matter, we just won the cup :D

Correction - you just bought the cup..... :D

dcfcsteve
23/11/2009, 2:21 AM
Another great post from the man himself :D

You arnt in a position to be talking about makey up now are you :D

Our club doesn't even exist any more, and yet we still have dramatically more fans than your fabricated franchise..... :D

Keep teeing them up for me there big man.

Lamper.sffc
23/11/2009, 2:25 AM

Im disappointed you brought me to this. But what was your club trying to buy and failed.

Some LOI fans are the biggest hypochrists iv ever come across.:rolleyes:

The Lep
23/11/2009, 3:04 AM
Your point being?

Longfordian
23/11/2009, 3:04 AM
If you bothered to read the thread then you would get your own answers.
If you stood next to me at the final whistle then you would know how i felt and that feeling hasnt left me :D. Keep at it, you are doing well.

What I wanted to know and I didn't see anything in this thread about was if the club were having any celebrations or fans getting together anywhere as most clubs would do after winning the FAI cup. You didn't answer that except with a smug "just because you don't know about it.." . I'd have thought a community club such as yerselves would want to celebrate in the midst of the community somehow and thank them for their great support?. Anyhow this is going nowhere so have a good one however you choose to mark the occasion.

The Lep
23/11/2009, 3:05 AM
Our club doesn't even exist any more, and yet we still have dramatically more fans than your fabricated franchise..... :D

Keep teeing them up for me there big man.

You do realise that makes no sense :D

The Lep
23/11/2009, 3:08 AM
What I wanted to know and I didn't see anything in this thread about was if the club were having any celebrations or fans getting together anywhere as most clubs would do after winning the FAI cup. You didn't answer that except with a smug "just because you don't know about it.." . I'd have thought a community club such as yerselves would want to celebrate in the midst of the community somehow and thank them for their great support?. Anyhow this is going nowhere so have a good one however you choose to mark the occasion.

If you posted that first then you would have had a better answer.

Swords wednesday night. open top bus etc.

weecountyman
23/11/2009, 4:49 AM

Steve, this is ridiculous - do you think Wexford Youths would exist without Mick Wallace, and if he were to go in the morning stil be going? And as for "genuinely building up" Fingal are working in the community with local clubs and making a massive effort to develop a support base, as any new club should do. Plaudits due where they are!

The deterioration of this thread is exactly the reason why our league is dying on it's knees, jealousy, small mindedness and fear.

Hairy Bowsie
23/11/2009, 6:39 AM
i would like to assure all the disappointed sligo fans that just because we surprised you and the rest of the league and actually had more supporters than the predicted "100" supporters at the game who paid good money to support their local team on an awful day

I'll have to stop you there and ask you to stop lying. A good friend of mine from Rush, North County Dublin, rang me on Friday night asking me did i want some free tickets for the cup final, he'd about 30 he was trying to get rid off. Turns out the club bought the allocation and gave the tickets away for free, again. So if YOU paid for your ticket more fool you.

I feel sorry for the few Sligo fans who couldn't get their hands on a ticket.

kellco88
23/11/2009, 7:18 AM
I'll have to stop you there and ask you to stop lying. A good friend of mine from Rush, North County Dublin, rang me on Friday night asking me did i want some free tickets for the cup final, he'd about 30 he was trying to get rid off. Turns out the club bought the allocation and gave the tickets away for free, again. So if YOU paid for your ticket more fool you.

I feel sorry for the few Sligo fans who couldn't get their hands on a ticket.

Why do you feel sorry for them? there were at least 300 tickets still on sale an hour and a half before the game in tallaght. And there was no que to get them either

blackholesun
23/11/2009, 9:12 AM
Turns out the club bought the allocation and gave the tickets away for free, again. So if YOU paid for your ticket more fool you.

If they can afford to blow 1000s every week on wages then it no surprise to me that they can afford to pull this stunt. If Fingal couldnt give away tickets for the Cup final, they what hope have they got? People dont value or appreciate anything they get for free. Fingal are only cheapening themselves with stunts like this.

bhs

WoodquayBoy
23/11/2009, 9:17 AM
Also I have to say you come across as incredibly bitter towards Sligo Rovers. I think you may be the one who needs to build a bridge.
I don't mean to come across as bitter to Sligo Rovers. I just don't like ye.