PDA

View Full Version : Cup final

Pages : [1] 2 3

red arrow
22/11/2009, 6:38 AM
let us bring the cup home. hope everybody enjoy's the occasion & show the league what supporting a team is all about. best of luck to paul, gerry and players.

red metal
22/11/2009, 7:36 AM
Ya good luck to the lads!Just heading out the door now!

oldrover
22/11/2009, 8:46 AM
Whatever the result lets show.... what Sligo Rovers means......Cmon the bitored

Shedend83
22/11/2009, 9:17 AM
Best of luck lads !

Fabrizio
22/11/2009, 10:22 AM
I hope the lads play to their ability and ive no doubt they can win! for the likes of Peers, Cretaro, Ventre, Boco etc i would love to see them win it, they deserve it , Cook also!! A good game and 3-1 rovers!! CMON THE BIT OF RED!will be brilliant atmosphere!!

Fivesilver
22/11/2009, 10:42 AM
Going to be attempting to watch/listen to this in a dodgy internet cafe in Rajasthan - probably the only time in my life I'll ever truthfully say "I wish I was in Tallaght".

Come on the Bit o' Red!

apo11o
22/11/2009, 4:24 PM
"No penalty"

dong
22/11/2009, 6:08 PM
Just back. In shock after that. We were poor I thought. Not one player you could say really had a good game.
Magnificent support. Looked savage with the massive banner moving across the stand at the start.
Fingal were worth their win I thought. We switched off after Cretaro had to go off and thay created as much as we did, probably more.
Penalty may have been debatable but no major injustice was done.
Was a ****e day for football (in more ways than one)
Sad day but we'll have our chance again. Let's hope we don't have to wait as long.

Brian Boru
22/11/2009, 6:16 PM
Just back. In shock after that. We were poor I thought. Not one player you could say really had a good game.
Magnificent support. Looked savage with the massive banner moving across the stand at the start.
Fingal were worth their win I thought. We switched off after Cretaro had to go off and thay created as much as we did, probably more.
Sad day but we'll have our chance again. Let's hope we don't have to wait as long.

Well summed up. I'd add that Conor was a huge loss. He possibly would have made the difference.

sligo23
22/11/2009, 6:25 PM
Not one player you could say really had a good game.
Eoin Doyle did.

Well Red
22/11/2009, 6:31 PM
Heart broken it was there for the taking, just hope all those Sligo supporters get home safely, conditions were brutal for the fans and your heart goes out to them. We have the best fans in the country and we deserved a bit more than we got but fair play to Fingal for taking their chances.:mad:

boris
22/11/2009, 7:23 PM
just want to say that sligo fans were a credit to the club today and i can only hope the someday fingal will get such support. extra time would probably have been fairer to both teams who at least attempted to play football and it really could have gone either way. until next season

oldrover
22/11/2009, 7:44 PM
Shattered. So near and yet so far.

I thought we didnt play well in first half but improved a lot at start of second. Penalty dubious but Fingal took chances well.

Sligo support tremendous. Any chance we can build on this and ensure it is not 14 years before we get back to Final again.

Cmon the bitored.

red arrow
22/11/2009, 8:42 PM
just back am very dissapointed. my heart goes out to the fans especially the ones in the north stand. i feel that fingal were sharper & defo our midfiled lacked bite. for me keane & doyle were our best players. but i won't be critical it was a great cup run. hopefully we can go into next season with a clean bill of health financially but we will have to cut cloth according to measure. tallaght is a lovely stadium when full but i think the fai should learn from their mistakes & play the cup final two weeks earlier. also the ticket debacle still ranks with me, i blame the fai. for a crowd of 8100 that turned out today (in extremly bad weather conditions) they should never have put us through the mill. we had 6500 supporters ther today who travelled far & wide and show that the league & fai cup have genuine support in soccer stronghold such as sligo. i'll say no more

Guts&Glory
22/11/2009, 8:44 PM
Devastated, Shocked, Depressed and then Jedward get voted out of the Xfactor, worst day of my life.

Seriously though it is not time for recriminations - no matter what happened today I was delighted we were in the final - devastated to lose but proud to get there given the season of ups and downs we had.

Red Arrow - I was in the North Stand to say it was awful would be an undertstatement. We had to send two kids and their mum to the Hotel for warmth at half time the young lads were frozen and soaking wet. They are Super Reds and go to all the home and some away games and as you say it rankles with me also that they were out in the elements whilst some (many?) less frequent followers were in nice shelter in the stand.

RoversInn
22/11/2009, 9:00 PM
Was in the West Stand myself, Right on the corner flag.

Devasted, We were nowhere near good enough to win a cup final today. Richie Ryan should leave the club after that performance. Doyler had a good game in fairness to him. We seemed to lose it when Raf came off. I would have brought on Turner for him but Meenan came on and did well in fairness. The wind had a major effect aswell. Was sitting right beside the Fingal fans and they were pathetic. 10 of them sung I'd say, and the rest were 6-12 year olds. Fair play to the singing section, Could hear ye throughout.

We blew it completly.

srfc1928
22/11/2009, 9:02 PM
Im heartbroken

sligoman
22/11/2009, 9:25 PM
I don't think I've ever felt this bad...such a let down after waiting for so long.

Boo_Boy
22/11/2009, 9:32 PM
Heartbroken, our support was bloody fantastic. A few tears at full time after waiting so long and to lose in injury time. Such a bad week with what happened Wednesday.

Now I'm just wet, cold and depressed. I think I sprained my ankle too :(.

Safe trip home lads.

sligofan4ever
22/11/2009, 9:32 PM

Have to disagree, tought Doyle and Keane played well, Boco did good too, especially in the build up for the goal. Keane was solid at the back, he was partly to blame for the penalty but that aside I tought he was rock solid.

MMVIII
22/11/2009, 9:42 PM
I feel so ****. Never felt this bad.

We threw it away. So ****ing close

avvenalaf
22/11/2009, 10:44 PM
just want to say that sligo fans were a credit to the club today and i can only hope the someday fingal will get such support. extra time would probably have been fairer to both teams who at least attempted to play football and it really could have gone either way. until next season

Cheers for that, Boris. Readers here will know that I flagged the difficulty we would have in beating SF. I really hope that this will be a major help in the building of your club as Liam Buckley is one of the good guys and your team try top play the way I feel it should be played. I am really distraught. You have all your history before you. We may have ours behind us. Anyway, keep plugging away in Fingal. Any team that can beat Shams in Tallaght has both my gratitude and admiration.

Shedzer
22/11/2009, 11:14 PM
Keane and Doyle were very good...Blinky tried hard and Peers made a mighty tackle its worth mentioning

Maybe the occasion got to a few of them, Cook included. As i said in my long pre match post, Cash and Ryan arent up to the standard, it was inevitable that Cash would go off for Morrison, only a matter of when and Ryan isnt even worth mentioning to be honest.

When Raf got injured i thought we went way to defensive, Marshall/Turner or Doyle could have played upfront with Blinkhorn and stayed with 4-4-2 rather than got 4-5-1. Thats not to say Meehan did badly, he didnt, he ran more in 20 minutes than Ryan did all day. I think if Raf and Ryan had of came off when Raf was injured, put Meehan in the centre and Marshall up front we would have kept shape. Meehan and Marshall are young lads, hungry to play, id keep them and work with them and let an other two who started go free in the close season.

Was really gutted, this defeat was bad enough but will also have financial knock on effects.

Great support, **** day, decent game, poor performance, bad result...

Blowin_Rover
22/11/2009, 11:15 PM
We were in the North Face(sorry i mean stand!)and was the coldest i have ever been at a match, but the support was absouletly amazing,the Sligo Flag going up and down the main stand was awesome! I dont think we can be too harsh on the lads the conditions were brutal for both teams.Just wish we had a few more shots in the first half as the ball was swirling all over the place,but how cruel this game can be the highs are great but the lows are a hard pill to swallow,but lets take a positive out of this and next season press for a top finish.

SligoBrewer
22/11/2009, 11:20 PM
Just the fact in meant nothing to the Fingal "fans". Like absolutely nothing.

It could have been a day of celebration for 7000+ people, now the winners don't even care and 7000+ people are desolate.

The world is such a load of ******** its unreal.

sligofan4ever
22/11/2009, 11:22 PM
Keane and Doyle were very good...Blinky tried hard and Peers made a mighty tackle its worth mentioning

Maybe the occasion got to a few of them, Cook included. As i said in my long pre match post, Cash and Ryan arent up to the standard, it was inevitable that Cash would go off for Morrison, only a matter of when and Ryan isnt even worth mentioning to be honest.

When Raf got injured i thought we went way to defensive, Marshall/Turner or Doyle could have played upfront with Blinkhorn and stayed with 4-4-2 rather than got 4-5-1. Thats not to say Meehan did badly, he didnt, he ran more in 20 minutes than Ryan did all day. I think if Raf and Ryan had of came off when Raf was injured, put Meehan in the centre and Marshall up front we would have kept shape. Meehan and Marshall are young lads, hungry to play, id keep them and work with them and let an other two who started go free in the close season.

Was really gutted, this defeat was bad enough but will also have financial knock on effects.

Great support, **** day, decent game, poor performance, bad result...

*Cue Ireland supporter who dosen't support a LoI club to read this and not understand why Shedzer is praising Keane and Doyle in the FAI Cup Final*

Did anyone notice over at the apartments/Hotel, whatever it was, 2 lads tried to see if the camera would notice their banner which read "un-fair play F.I.F.A.,Wheres our Replay ?"

Shedzer
22/11/2009, 11:29 PM
*Cue Ireland supporter who dosen't support a LoI club to read this and not understand why Shedzer is praising Keane and Doyle in the FAI Cup Final* ++++

++++ *Cue Stevie Wonder*

SligoBrewer
22/11/2009, 11:36 PM
Doyle was brilliant and deserved MOTM.

Peers, Boco, and Blinkhorn were their usual brilliant selves.
Trying to analyse this game is impossible.

prodsc
23/11/2009, 12:16 AM
Gutted for the club and the great crowd today.
Thought the team didn't use the wind in the first half to their advantage, thought Doyle was poor first half, leaving Kendrick very exposed, much better 2nd half performance. Danny was very poor, we so missed C'oG's leadership. Ryan no comment. Raf disappointing again- his ego and mouthing don't belong. Sitting back defending a 1-0 lead with a team that show great hunger towards the end baffles me.

Well done Sporting Fingal for your hunger and spirit.

Jeebus
23/11/2009, 5:13 AM
I haven't read any of this thread. I'm 27 years following rovers (i'm 31) and i'm struggling to get over today. I think my da summed it up in the maldron after, he said that u should know well that with rovers we have to take the rough with the smooth. thats 4 cup finals he's seen us lose. I've seen alot of downs with my club, and there will probably be alot more between now and the day i die. But we'll always be there. This whole season was a rollercoaster. Albania was definitely the highlight for me tho. At least tho i know i am, i'm sure i am. I'm rovers till i die!

d rovers
23/11/2009, 6:58 AM
The day after and still gutted. We have had some great days with the rovers but yesterday was as low as i have ever felt. We left it behind us. I'm not going to get into the analysis of who played well/who didn't, cos it is still hard to be objective. All i know is in a few months time we will be back for more drama, heartache and some great days. Its all part of following the rovers, we never do it easy. Very proud of the whole club yesterday, the supporters were immense as usual. When we win a bit of silverware yesterdays experience will make us appreciate it all the more.

Scram
23/11/2009, 8:04 AM
WELL DONE FINGAL!!!

A well deserved win for a tactically and technically better team. Great for the game especially for the supporters coming from real footballing areas.

Good to hear the Shamrock Rovers fans in attendance at their home ground still shouting “Rovers” .

MarkyH
23/11/2009, 8:14 AM
So disappointed this morning. So near and yet so far. I don't think we played as well as we could, especially in the 1st half. When we scored I felt we would need a 2nd, but it looked like we were closing the game out.

6 mins to go and Keane's only mistake all day and then Zayed was through to win the pen. I have seen it a couple of times on TV and feel we were somewhat unlucky. Kelly wasn't even looking at Zayed he was trying to reach the ball and Zayed fell over his trailing leg. I don't even think the ref was 100% convinced it was a pen, as why didn't he book/send off Kelly?

Kelly's head was gone then and he started flapping at everything. He was rooted to his line for the 2nd goal when o'neill headin in from 5 or 6 yards out. Fair play to SF as they did look the most likely to win it at that stage and played right to the end.

It's hard to get over now, but it's the heartache of days like these that make any success we do get all the sweeter when it does come along. My grandad followed the rovers for over 40 years and never say them win anything, while my dad has seen us lose 4 finals.

It's been a real rollercoster of a season. Real highs and lows. Who would have thought we would have played 8 games in the cup, including beating cork, derry and bohs and then fall short 6 mins from the end. But come march we will have re-grouped and be ready to go through it all again

Brian Boru
23/11/2009, 8:27 AM
Ireland have the best supporters in international football. We have the best supporters in Ireland. Rovers till we die!

At the game I didn't think it was a penalty. Ref took a while to award it. He wasn't certain. I checked out the RTE player and I do not think it was a penalty! Zayeed ran into Kelly; not vice versa. My brother said at the game that the only way Kelly could have avoided the clash was if he ran in the opposite direction! That wasn't an option. Kelly was very unlucky. It was not a penalty. Don't look at the replays lads you'll just get even more disappointed. However, it does provide closure on the Thierry Henry incident. Injustices are part of football. We'll just have to get over it.

Captain2007
23/11/2009, 10:35 AM
Sligo were very good for 85 mins, Boco, Doyle, Cretaro, Blinkhorn, Peers were all excellent, Fingal got a break with the penalty and there was only ever going to be one winner after that and that was Fingal,must be gut-wrenching stuff for Sligo players and staff having dominated for so long.Credit to Gary O Neill thought he was Fingal's best player always looked dangerous and took his chance very well.

mint sauce
23/11/2009, 10:42 AM
other than the score a great day,

arrived in dublin just before midday, few sligo shirts at time floating about busarus, o'connell street, and having the breakfast in the cafes and bars (including my self seeking the cure from the night before).

made way up to tallaght about 1 pm to meet the other lads, the square shopping centre and the maldron hotel were like a subsitute team head quaters, sligo shirts everywhere, bumping into so many people i knew, there was a great buzz and a sence of ocassion about the place

tallaght stadium, not a bad place, the county council made a good job of it, sitting beside the signing section, you guys done a brilliant job, never stopped signing through out the match, really gets behind the team, loved the new chants, loved the colour, especailly the huge flag that floated over the crowd at the start, mum if you were watching i was under that some where

unfortunate about the score, it would have created the perfect day, all the wind and the rain would have been worth it, well done to all those in the north stand who endured it

fingal, you were deserved winners, you may not have many fans (yet), can see good things from you in 2010

roll on 2010 as well for the bit o red, keep the flag flying, see you back at the showgies in the new year, with hopefully some new fans as well

and as the crowd said theres only one f**king rovers

;)

Rover'n'out
23/11/2009, 10:47 AM
Could not believe it yesterday. I was still reeling from the Ireland v France shambles on wednesday. Two major disappointments in quick succession is hard to take.

To be honest we were not the same after Raf went off. Not saying he had his best day for Rovers but he was a threat they had to be aware of. Then tactics were all wrong sorry. Ok try and hold what we have, but leaving Blinkhorn alone up front by himself absolutely gave them the initiative and allowed them on to us and eventually that leads to conceding goals. Also I thought some of the lads seemed very nervous on the day (certainly last 15 - 20 minutes) as if they were afraid of trying to advance, kept giving the ball away etc, ok yes I know the conditions were not great but Sporting Fingal seemed at least able to string a few passes together in the last 15 mins.

Great support. well done everybody, i was proud to be from Sligo, but I am afraid to say that was the best chance we had in 15 years and those chances dont come around too often.....

rovers100%
23/11/2009, 11:12 AM
all i will say is shocking. ryan is **** and danny forza ventre ! captain. pure sh1te. a lot of players should be ashamed after that

sligofan4ever
23/11/2009, 11:19 AM
all i will say is shocking. ryan is **** and danny forza ventre ! captain. pure sh1te. a lot of players should be ashamed after that

Ventre struggled without O' Grady, Ryan did little or nothing to help him, O' Grady would help Ventre close down a player and get himself into position for passes. Ryan offered nothing for Ventre to work with going forward, when you're supplying fprwards you need to be looking for the passes rather than forcing Ventre to pass it out wide.

dong
23/11/2009, 11:23 AM

Absolutely. The point has been made on here that Doyle had a good game. He did okay. None of them put in a great performance. I'm thinking of performances like Harry McLoughlin and Stenny in 1983, Gavin Dykes or Gerry Carr in 1994. Performances worthy of winning a cup final.

Any news on Raf's health? Looked like a dislocated shoulder maybe?

rovers100%
23/11/2009, 11:42 AM
all the clowns here saying ryan is a great player, best passer and all that bull i hope ye have finally woke up. he is crap. ventre is limited at best. he should never have been captain. cash, ventre ryan, kelly and kendrick were pure muck. kendrick was lucky not to give away a peno. i know the weather was a big factor but too many players froze and were not effective at all. i konw i will get people here saying now that giving out bout them does not help but lets face facts we had the cup in our grasp and they threw it away. after all the effort of going to game and being froze its a pity certain players didnt put in that effort themselves. im sick today, absolutely sick. this has been a hard year as a rovers fan but i will be back again for next season as the pain will have eased shortly. i for one hope cash, ryan and kendrick wont be taking my money as a paid player.

sligofan4ever
23/11/2009, 11:55 AM
all the clowns here saying ryan is a great player, best passer and all that bull i hope ye have finally woke up. he is crap. ventre is limited at best. he should never have been captain. cash, ventre ryan, kelly and kendrick were pure muck. kendrick was lucky not to give away a peno. i know the weather was a big factor but too many players froze and were not effective at all. i konw i will get people here saying now that giving out bout them does not help but lets face facts we had the cup in our grasp and they threw it away. after all the effort of going to game and being froze its a pity certain players didnt put in that effort themselves. im sick today, absolutely sick. this has been a hard year as a rovers fan but i will be back again for next season as the pain will have eased shortly. i for one hope cash, ryan and kendrick wont be taking my money as a paid player.

I agree with you about Ryan, but why Cash ? sure he didn't set the game alight yesterday, but since August he's been a consistant player and works his arse off, this and Bohs away are the only bad games hes had since August AFAIK, he'd still make a good impact sub IMO.

clubman
23/11/2009, 12:03 PM
Absolutely gutted. Haven’t been as disappointed with a Rovers defeat since we lost to Bohs in the final in 1970 with the same scoreline. Honestly I never thought I could possibly be as disappointed again.
Yes the weather was brutal but it was the same for both sides. Personally I’d have chosen to play against the wind in the first half and have the advantage of playing into the Rovers end in the second. It was always going to be a case of which team would suffer the less with nerves and with Fingal having the upper hand in the experience department I guess it was inevitable they would finish the stronger. With six or so minutes remaining I was certain we had it, but there still remained a niggling feeling of doubt which I suppose comes from supporting the Rovers for so long when one always expects the unexpected. If only Morrison had converted that great chance from ten yards then things would have been oh so different. The penalty incident devastated me, 1978 all over again! 30 minutes of extra time seemed the likely outcome and then bang – our hearts were broken.
Looking around prior to my departure the look on the faces of the sea of red said it all. The manner in which our supporters took defeat really spoke volumes for our club. My heart really goes out to the players but when we consider the damage this defeat has cost not only financially but also in the prospect of attracting top quality players only time will tell how bad this loss will be for the club. This morning Raf has already being quoted as saying it was his last game in a Rovers shirt. Already down 25K as runners-up, not qualifying for Europe and the loss in appeal to better players coming to us really makes for worrying times.
Like all supporters on here this defeat has numbed me, a shocking way to finish the season. As Cookie said in his TV interview no one remembers the loosing finalists, hopefully we can pick up the pieces over the coming months, regroup and come out the end of this dark time a stronger and better outfit. We have been around for a long time and with support such as yesterday’s we’ll be around for a long time to come. Come on the Bit O’ Red!!!!

MMVIII
23/11/2009, 12:15 PM
Who else could have been captain but Danny V? Peers hates being captain. Danny V always takes charge when O' Grady is out and the players normally respond to it.

Also calling us all clowns, good one. Grand saying it behind a username.

Anyways, couldn't give a ****e what you think. Too gutted to care.

avvenalaf
23/11/2009, 1:01 PM
Lets face facts, guys. We rode out luck so much on our way to the final that it seemed our name was on the trophy. But SF have better players than us, technically, and Eddie Gormley wasn't far wrong when he said they're a top four Premier team. Added to that, we didn't play at all in the first half and we had, in Kendrick and Ryan, two players who are not worthy of a Rovers shirt and I hope I never see them wearing one again. Raf has turned into a Robbie Keane with the arm waving and shouting at refs and it would be interesting to see how he would operate out of his comfort zone.
Unless we get a centre half, left full and striker to play off Blinkhorn, next season will be a struggle again, Turner or no Turner.

smellyfeet
23/11/2009, 1:13 PM
http://www.loi.ie/index.php/clubs/first-division/sporting-fingal/latest-news/1331-sligo-rovers-1-2-sporting-fingal

Third time in their history ?

sligofan4ever
23/11/2009, 1:14 PM
Lets face facts, guys. We rode out luck so much on our way to the final that it seemed our name was on the trophy. But SF have better players than us, technically, and Eddie Gormley wasn't far wrong when he said they're a top four Premier team. Added to that, we didn't play at all in the first half and we had, in Kendrick and Ryan, two players who are not worthy of a Rovers shirt and I hope I never see them wearing one again. Raf has turned into a Robbie Keane with the arm waving and shouting at refs and it would be interesting to see how he would operate out of his comfort zone.
Unless we get a centre half, left full and striker to play off Blinkhorn, next season will be a struggle again, Turner or no Turner.

A fully fit Butler will fit the left back position nicely.
People are going on about Keane being a liability sometimes, what we need is someone incase Peers does go. Can't think of to many defenders we could get, but if I was to choose, i'd like to see something like a straight swap with Bohs for Ken Oman. As for strikers, I dont know who e could bring in. We've signed Chris Turner so dont think there may not be another surpise signing this season.

sligofan4ever
23/11/2009, 1:15 PM
http://www.loi.ie/index.php/clubs/first-division/sporting-fingal/latest-news/1331-sligo-rovers-1-2-sporting-fingal

Third time in their history ?

Its even funnier considering they've only been around for two years :rolleyes:

smellyfeet
23/11/2009, 1:21 PM
Its even funnier considering they've only been around for two years :rolleyes:

Exactly. How do some of these reporters get jobs at all:rolleyes:

sligofan4ever
23/11/2009, 1:37 PM
Exactly. How do some of these reporters get jobs at all:rolleyes:

These reporters do **** all research on LoI, but you'd expect better for a report of The Cup Final, but this is ane wone, fcuking up after 4 or 5 words into the thing!