PDA

View Full Version : Cup final

Pages : 1 [2] 3

rovers100%
23/11/2009, 2:37 PM
we are all gutted but people here said ryan was quality when he has been a major disapointment....hence why he is dropped to subs bench reguarly this season. user name rovers100% real name colin hennessy i dont hide behind username if ya ask me my name i will tell you. sorry bout the clown insult maybe that was out of order. im just very frustraded today. on another point i think it was a disgrace having final in tallaght as people paid 20 yo yo's for their kids and thet were froze in uncovered stand. i was in the east stand and was froze to death and the covering did not even keep the rain off us and i was half way up the seats. as for who else could have been captain, for me i would have put raf. a lot of people have turned on him this year but i would have liked a local lad. boco either isnt he benin captain or maybe im wrong. our midfield was non existent there yesterday richie and danny were shown up for what they are, limited footballers but at least ventre tries and covers ground. iwatched the game again today and zayed ran straight for kelly for the penalty. he was going down one way or the other the cheat. cant understand why boco let a right footed player turn on to his right foot for inswinging cross for the second goal. boco had a quiet game by his standards.

Inside Man
23/11/2009, 3:04 PM
We've only ourselves to blame.

sligofan4ever
23/11/2009, 6:38 PM
We've only ourselves to blame.

Out of curiosity, were you actually at the Final for the team you supposedly support or did you not come because you predicted we would lose anyways :rolleyes: would've been the first time you'd have been right about something since you have joined though.

oldrover
23/11/2009, 6:56 PM
As far as I remember not long after the 1983 Final the club ran into terrible financial problems. Lets build from this defeat. Its how you bounce back from knocks that is the real test. The support that is there for the bitored should give the club the encouragement to be ambitious as well as prudent

bingoballs
23/11/2009, 7:06 PM
A fully fit Butler will fit the left back position nicely.
People are going on about Keane being a liability sometimes, what we need is someone incase Peers does go. Can't think of to many defenders we could get, but if I was to choose, i'd like to see something like a straight swap with Bohs for Ken Oman. As for strikers, I dont know who e could bring in. We've signed Chris Turner so dont think there may not be another surpise signing this season.
I don't think Keane is the problem to be fair. Since we lost Brush and Kelly has stepped in we have been indiscisive at the back. He is dodgey imo and the two centre halves are on edge for 90 minutes not knowing whats goin to happen next. I think Keane has been a great signing, he is commited and honest and I would like to think there is more to come from him. We were unfortunate to loose Raf when we did as we looked to be on top and were between a rock and a hard place with the substitution, I did think it was a negative move at the time though.

bingoballs
23/11/2009, 7:17 PM
And fair play to Liam Buckley for his comments after the game. Gracious in victory and made the bitter pill we had to swallow yesterday just that tiny bit easier. Michael O Niell should take a leaf out of his book!

Rovers1
23/11/2009, 7:19 PM
Sinking in now, watching MNS, nearly in tears. So hard to take. Never a penalty. Don't want to slag Cook but i don't understand why we went to 4-5-1. Stick Morrsion up there beside Blinkhorn! We defended much too deep in the last ten minutes, asking Sporting to attack us. But that's life, and that's football. Bring on 2010!

mint sauce
23/11/2009, 7:21 PM
after watching MNS, can now comfortably say it was never a penalty, could not be sure from where i was sitting yesterday, wonder will the FAI let us replay the game

:D

oldrover
23/11/2009, 7:27 PM
Was not a penalty and if it was Ciaran Kelly should have been sent off.

By the way how can it be fair that a county council can use public funds to support a club. Notwithstanding Liam Buckleys fair comments ater the match there is a question over this type of funding arrangement.

srfc1928
23/11/2009, 7:51 PM

By the way how can it be fair that a county council can use public funds to support a club. Notwithstanding Liam Buckleys fair comments ater the match there is a question over this type of funding arrangement.
The game is over and we were beatin on the day.

But the whole way Fingal are funded is very questionable tbh.
At the end of the day taxpayers money is being used.
What benefit is this guy thats investing in them getting,
now or in the long term

hoops1
23/11/2009, 7:52 PM
Never a penalty imo.

gustavo
23/11/2009, 7:55 PM
Agreed , just looking at the replays it's clear that Kelly was only looking at the ball and Zayed bundled himself over him

sligobhoy67
23/11/2009, 7:59 PM
Jesus that was a truely aweful experience!

If I never set foot in that stadium again I will be a happy man.

Well done to all the Rovers that made the trip.

Just back to Manchester there and still havent fully thawed out.

Nexty yeah eh.

avvenalaf
23/11/2009, 8:05 PM

Yes. it was a penalty. Alan Kelly couldn't wait for Hilarious Collins to jet in from Malta to decide for him and initial reaction all around me was peno. If Zayed left his leg in or not is irrelevant. Kelly wasn't sent off because Keane had ruin past and was on the line. Goal was caused by Keane's header falling short, not by Ref or Zayed.

Fingal County Council are funding a football concept of which the senior team is only the top of the pyramid. They are to be congratulated for their foresight and we should wish them well. as for Gerry Gannon, he is long gone past the day when he has to get anything out of sponsorship.

Redkenrover
23/11/2009, 8:12 PM
Gutted, distraught, so,so disappointed, feel like I parachuted out of a snakes arse, I feel so low.
Never a penalty. Could only bring myself to watch the incidents this evening. Once again Alan Kelly has shown he likes to be the center of attention. Whether we were good enough yesterday or not, the facts are we were 1-0 up with minutes to go when a terrible decision changed the game. Kelly had no where to go. If every team won the match based on their performances, results would be alot different.
Well done to everyone who travelled up, especially those on the north stand, what ye went through was horrendous.
One question, how are we going to fit all those people into the showgrounds next season?

Shiba
23/11/2009, 8:12 PM
Yes. it was a penalty. Alan Kelly couldn't wait for Hilarious Collins to jet in from Malta to decide for him and initial reaction all around me was peno. If Zayed left his leg in or not is irrelevant. Kelly wasn't sent off because Keane had ruin past and was on the line. Goal was caused by Keane's header falling short, not by Ref or Zayed.

Fingal County Council are funding a football concept of which the senior team is only the top of the pyramid. They are to be congratulated for their foresight and we should wish them well. as for Gerry Gannon, he is long gone past the day when he has to get anything out of sponsorship.

Never in month of sundays was it penaltyt.Zayed didnt even have control of the ball never mind,him leaving his foot in.Why is leaving his foot in irrelevant or not.that was the only contact made between the two players

Redkenrover
23/11/2009, 8:18 PM

Think you might want to look at this again, when the alleged offence took place Keane is actually a step behind or maybe in line with Mr. Zayed.

red bellied
23/11/2009, 8:20 PM

If Bord Snip gets it way Fingal will cease to exist as a county council. Saying that Sportings goodwill in the community after the cup win is sure to keep them alive :rolleyes:

oldrover
23/11/2009, 8:26 PM
The question is equity and fairness in relation to funding of LOI clubs. Taxpayers funds should not be used to favour one club over another in a discriminatory manner.

The penalty issue is futile at this stage as Fingal have won the cup. Funding is an ongoing issue and challenge for clubs and there is need to fully regularise the situation. No problem in supporting a football concept but if public funds are used all clubs should have equal access

SligoBrewer
23/11/2009, 8:31 PM
if public funds are used all clubs should have equal access

This.

Shiba
23/11/2009, 8:33 PM
Never a penalty imo.

When have a Shams fan siding with us is a good sign,and shows we not been biais

clubman
23/11/2009, 8:34 PM
The question is equity and fairness in relation to funding of LOI clubs. Taxpayers funds should not be used to favour one club over another in a discriminatory manner.

The penalty issue is futile at this stage as Fingal have won the cup. Funding is an ongoing issue and challenge for clubs and there is need to fully regularise the situation. No problem in supporting a football concept but if public funds are used all clubs should have equal access

Yea right, I remember your post echoing those very same sentiments when our corpo built the boundary wall and installed the car park in the showgies

Shiba
23/11/2009, 8:38 PM

Its futile alright but after Delaneys campaign during the weekIt be interesting to hear from him!

Is simulation cheating?

One just to point out I was never in favour of replay!

Rovers1
23/11/2009, 8:39 PM
Was anyone here around for the 70, 78 and 81 finals? How does it match last night?

Shiba
23/11/2009, 8:47 PM
Yea right, I remember your post echoing those very same sentiments when our corpo built the boundary wall and installed the car park in the showgies

The corpo have done this for their own means and not for the benefit of Sligo Rovers. The wall was due to the widening of the road as on any road widening works the boundary walls of any private area is reconstructed to high standard ie Strandhill road.As for the carpark it is to cover the area been lost in carpark spaces that willl be lost due to the construction work been done by treasury holdings(if ever it goes ahead).Its just fortunate we are benefitting from it.

clubman
23/11/2009, 8:50 PM
Was anyone here around for the 70, 78 and 81 finals? How does it match last night?
Losing in a final doesn't get any easier to accept. 1970 was total heartbreak as that team were truely a wonderful side and probably the best Rovers side not to win a cup final. 1978 we were truely robbed no doubt about it but we had the whole of the second half to make amends for Carpenters bad decision and we did create the chances unfortunately drew a blank. 1981 we expected to do better but when the opposition score direct from a corner I guess you can say without fear of contradiction their name was on the cup. Yesterday with only seven minutes to play it seemed to me anyway that our name was on it but well... you were there.

red bellied
23/11/2009, 8:51 PM

Wasnt at any of those finals but '78 "woz we were robbed final". Probably some similarities to that final in relation to the dodgy peno yesterday. Carpenter the ref in '78 brought heavy debate on himself in the Town Hall at the time and their was rantings of him been to be shot. Times have changed now and they are all gone soft so Kelly will probably get a cup of tea in the Mayors Parlour.

oldrover
23/11/2009, 8:53 PM
No problem as long as Fingal CC involvement is limited to funding boundary walls and tarmacing car park???!

Incidentally even though penalty debate is futile agree that does raise around simulation/cheating.

was at all finals mentioned ...losing never easy, 1978 left a particularly bad feeling ober very disputed penalty.

anyway lets look forward...

clubman
23/11/2009, 9:02 PM
Wasnt at any of those finals but '78 "woz we were robbed final". Probably some similarities to that final in relation to the dodgy peno yesterday. Carpenter the ref in '78 brought heavy debate on himself in the Town Hall at the time and their was rantings of him been to be shot. Times have changed now and they are all gone soft so Kelly will probably get a cup of tea in the Mayors Parlour.

The saying "what goes around comes around" is very true in the whole debate regarding Mr Carpenter. Yes he robbed us in 1978 but a year earlier in the 76/77 league campaign he awarded us a penalty in the showgies against Drogheda for a "hand ball" which photographic evidence proved it was never a penalty. Rovers went top that day and went on to win the title. Who knows a similar decision by Alan Kelly some day will be the catalyst for us collecting a piece of silverware. I doubt it but it remains a possibility.

avvenalaf
24/11/2009, 12:53 AM
Yeah and Kelly did miss Ventre's hand ball in the first half.

1970 was an adventure and the replay against Cork Hibs 2 1 and the second game in the final trilogy with Bohs 0 0 were magnificent games of football. Could never hold it against Bohs and they did give it back to us in 1983.

1978 was the real killer because it was against the lowest form of life (lfl). The man who won the penalty, Steve Lynex had played for us and left Sligo to go home to Birmingham as 'someone had stuck a gun in his face and told him to f uck off back to England'. He did, only to return to sign for lfl (Mustn't have known that Dublin was in Ireland though SHAMROCK Rovers was a decent clue) and win the 'penalty'. As an aside, I'd have to say that John Carpenter was one of the best and fairest refs I ever saw in the league. That lfl team was managed by John Giles and contained such luminaries as Eamonn Dunphy (spit) and Ray Treacy who slotted the penalty. The club were to be challenging for the European Cup within three years of the boys arriving (stop sniggering at the back) but alas all they succeeded in doing was to give Louis Kilcoyne an excuse for selling Milltown.

An amusing aspect of the hullabaloo that reared it's head in Sligo was that a County Councillor who shall remain nameless let fly at a council meeting about John Carpenter and said some things which led to him being sued by the ref and he had to stump up some readies. Now, before or since, I have never seen that Councillor in the Showgrounds which proves the definition of a politician as a man in search of a bandwagon to jump on.

TBH, I couldn't be arsed going in 1981 as there was no way under the sun that we could live with Dundalk and I wasn't about to inflict that on my, then, young sons.

1983? Well that was 1983. Bit of a blur, really and until I shook Mick Ferry's hand on the MCR, I didn't really believe we had won it. In 1994, we did to Derry what SF did to us yesterday and that was why I was afraid of them. They had momentum without pressure.

The general consensus is that we were unlucky but lets not make a long mourning session of this. The team and management behaved impeccably and so did the fans. Rovers made a lot of friends yesterday and lets be proud of that and remember that Bohs should have beaten us out the gate in the first game in Dayler.

And it could be worse - it could have been the LFL.

CF1989
24/11/2009, 1:24 AM
anyone critising richie ryan is just using him as a scapegoat. he was just as good as any other player yesterday bar doyle

SligoBrewer
24/11/2009, 3:27 AM
anyone critising richie ryan is just using him as a scapegoat. he was just as good as any other player yesterday bar doyle

Eh. No.

sligorover
24/11/2009, 10:53 AM
Didn't think Richie was particularly bad, but then he's always been unpopular here for some reason. Kendrick on the other hand was awful, if Butler isn't back next season Cook needs to look at bringing in a left back.

red_away
24/11/2009, 12:11 PM
Didn't think Richie was particularly bad, but then he's always been unpopular here for some reason. Kendrick on the other hand was awful, if Butler isn't back next season Cook needs to look at bringing in a left back.

Kendrick has been defensively poor for a while now, i cant see why he cant be goal side of his opponent at all times, sometimes he was running back to his own goal to defend and his opponent on the inside - schoolboy stuff!

I also thought that Boco had his poorest game for a long time - he should have put the ball out for a throw that lead to the winning goal!

red_away
24/11/2009, 12:23 PM
TBH, I couldn't be arsed going in 1981 as there was no way under the sun that we could live with Dundalk and I wasn't about to inflict that on my, then, young sons.

I dont understand this??? Rovers in a cup final and you couldnt be arsed...??? This is one of the most ridiculous statements that I have ever read from you!

You get to a cup final...you go support your team...as for your sons, it is your duty to inflict the pain of following SRFC on them!

Just for the record, carpenter was criminal with the penalty in '78 - he broke my young heart....cheating b45t4rd!!!!

And '81 was the most miserable experience for a rovers fan, 5h1t team, 5h1t weather and 5h1t result - no complaints about that one!

The cup final loss hit me harder than I thought it would ...to get so close and then lose the plot with poor decision making from both players and management - I am always against going with one man up front to kill a game because you hand too much initiative to the opposition by not keeping them occupied at the back!

CF1989
24/11/2009, 12:23 PM
Eh. No.

look up the meaning of a good footballer in trinners library over a few pints of hino and maybe you'll know something about a game of football

Only1Rovers
24/11/2009, 12:52 PM
look up the meaning of a good footballer in trinners library over a few pints of hino and maybe you'll know something about a game of football

He made a good pass in the first half and wasted a free from outside their box, that's all I can remember him doing.

CF1989
24/11/2009, 2:01 PM
he was imo one of our top players in getting us into europe last season
in pre season he tore ligaments in his ankle
when he returned, against shams in tallaght, he got a hip injury.
he needed an operation to rectify it fully.
with the problems we had mid season it was agreed he'd wait until another time to hae the operation and he'd play through it, so he has been playing with an injury from the 2nd game of the season.
i thought in the first half on sunday he had a very good game

SligoBrewer
24/11/2009, 2:18 PM

Feo, I used to love Ryan, thought he was the Sligo Rovers equivalent of Andrea Pirlo at one point. He'd mop things up in the centre of the defence, be able to pass the ball proficiently and be able to see the crucial pass to made from time to time. Here's the proof. (http://foot.ie/forums/showpost.php?p=1138003&postcount=31)

Maybe his injury explains it, but you cannot deny that he has been poor this season. If he's injured, he shouldn't be playing really but recovering fully and properly instead of possibly doing long term damage by playing through the pain. If he's fully recovered by March, then maybe he should be re-signed. Maybe.

Also, there was no need for the remarks thanks.

CF1989
24/11/2009, 2:23 PM
your welcome

sligofan4ever
24/11/2009, 2:31 PM
Feo, I used to love Ryan, thought he was the Sligo Rovers equivalent of Andrea Pirlo at one point. He'd mop things up in the centre of the defence, be able to pass the ball proficiently and be able to see the crucial pass to made from time to time. Here's the proof. (http://foot.ie/forums/showpost.php?p=1138003&postcount=31)

Maybe his injury explains it, but you cannot deny that he has been poor this season. If he's injured, he shouldn't be playing really but recovering fully and properly instead of possibly doing long term damage by playing through the pain. If he's fully recovered by March, then maybe he should be re-signed. Maybe.

Also, there was no need for the remarks thanks.

That link led me to find this absolute gem posted by our own Inside Man.

http://foot.ie/forums/showpost.php?p=1137757&postcount=15

CarrickFan
24/11/2009, 2:39 PM

Thats why they say football is a funny old game..its all about opinions...two people can watch the same thing but see two totally different things.....some of the people who give out about Ryan are the same people who Revere Ventre...the mind boggles.....i guess thats why we love the game.

Guts&Glory
24/11/2009, 4:23 PM
The Ventre worship has always puzzled me, was way out of his depth on Sunday - didn't get near a Fingal player all game.

Oh and Danny worshipers stop blaming Ryan for Dannys poor showing.

Ventres responsibility to tackle the opposition when two feet away from him is his repsonibilty not Ryan (who was poor also but you cannot let Dannys performance hid behind him).

CF1989
24/11/2009, 4:43 PM
ventre was my man of the match

rovers100%
24/11/2009, 5:07 PM
honestly, are you being serious when you say ventre was motm !!! :eek: to be fair i think the whole team underachieved but i thought keane was the best until last 10 mins and he just fell apart. it was a bad performance and i was angry up until today but all i will say is, kendrick is no way good enough as is richie ryan but i dont believe they go on to the pitch and say to themselves i wont bother trying today..... they are just limited footballers, whether that be to injuries or other reasons. i just believe they are not up to scratch.
as for danny ya cant fault him for effort but he is no chris turner or gary deegan nor will he ever be and he barely touched the ball in the final. watch it again and it is clearly evident but we are all entitled to our views and cf you have yours and other people will differ. i feel for all the team as they will have been more disappointed than any of us at their performances. always next year though

Martinho II
24/11/2009, 5:20 PM

I assume sligorover that Butler didnt play at all over the last season?

sligoman
24/11/2009, 5:29 PM
I assume sligorover that Butler didnt play at all over the last season?Nope, he wasn't registered.

Nathan
24/11/2009, 8:59 PM
I have been to some games that were heartbreaking but this was the worst ever, We failed to boss the game and underestimated SF when going 4-5-1, not going to comment on the poor performers but Doyle and Keane were the closest we had to a MOTM. The difference with the semi was that we had Ryan and Morrision on the bench, Morrison got all the credit for that result but RR deserved more, legs were'nt up to 90.

Heard rumours leading up to the game about bonus payments and that the conclusion was not by mutual consent.

On the bright side I felt if we had Conor and Turner (Chris) in the side we would still be on the pi55 not off work with depression.

Cook has gave us some great memories, he's still a relatively young manager, hopefully the great memories can become historic and legendary occassions over the next few years.

Shedzer
24/11/2009, 9:27 PM
I have been to some games that were heartbreaking but this was the worst ever, We failed to boss the game and underestimated SF when going 4-5-1, not going to comment on the poor performers but Doyle and Keane were the closest we had to a MOTM. The difference with the semi was that we had Ryan and Morrision on the bench, Morrison got all the credit for that result but RR deserved more, legs were'nt up to 90.

I agree with the rest of your post, about Cook and Turner/O'Grady, but this isnt good reading. Morrison was the man that day and it is clear to see. Ryan actually was decent in terms of not giving the ball away and doing what he does in spreading it to others to create. Boco and Morrison made things happen. Every time Morrison touched the ball he was a joy to watch, he was coming in field, creating a move down the right with Boco, picking out a pass..real top quality stuff. Ryan found feet that day, nothing major, nothing special.

Its probably still on TG4 if you want to look at the second half. Plain to see

Shedzer
24/11/2009, 9:37 PM
he was imo one of our top players in getting us into europe last season

He was one of the main reasons that we went out of Europe this year. If i had to count the amount of times an opposition play has sauntered by the lacklustre Ryan and ran at our defense with ease. It goes unoticed by many.

Dont play the injury card, nobody wants to hear it, its completely void in this situation. You dont see people mentioning that Peers was injured for 3 months, because its not an issue. Ryan has got worse as the year went on. If he was a professional and wanted to get fit, i would say 'yes, he is trying to get back to fitness'
Nobody could be fit if they went on like him.

The 4-0 home loss to Derry was another example, McGrath got sacked basically after that, Ryan didnt, yet he would put in a similar performance week in week out. The most refreshing thing about that game was seeing Meehan take a lad out of it when he came out, it showed intent to battle, get stuck in while the other pair in the middle didnt need a shower after the game for lack of effort.