PDA

View Full Version : Everton in for Coleman

Pages : [1] 2 3

srfc1928
17/01/2009, 6:09 PM
According to todays Star

Moyes clambers to score a Cole'

''David Moyes wants to sign Seamus Coleman and disappoint Celtic, Birmingham city, Burnley and St Johnstone.

But Sligo Rovers are unwilling to see their star defender become a toffee unless Everton substantially increase their offer for him.
It is believed that Everton are willing to pay The Bit O’Red approximately €200,000 for the League of Irelands most highly rated young full back.
However Sligo would receive less than €100,000in the initial transfer fee for the 20 year old.
And that is not acceptable to the Sligo management board that it should be able to earn €125,000 in the first payment.

The club wont stand in the Killybegs mans way of moving to an English or Scottish club but feel that they are not being offered serious money for their most saleable asset.

Evertons strong interest may restoke interest from Birmingham where Coleman spent a week on trial last month.
The Ireland under 21 international still has one year left on his contractand as he is under the age of 23, Sligo are in a strong negotiating position under UEFA transfer regulations''

superfrank
17/01/2009, 6:15 PM
However Sligo would receive less than €100,000in the initial transfer fee for the 29 year old.

The Ireland under 21 international still has one year left on his contractand as he is under the age of 23, Sligo are in a strong negotiating position under UEFA transfer regulations
So...eh...what age is he?

You got to love the Star.

sligoman
17/01/2009, 6:15 PM
However Sligo would receive less than €100,000in the initial transfer fee for the 29 year old.Has he aged that much in the off-season?

sligo23
17/01/2009, 6:17 PM
According to todays Star

Moyes clambers to score a Cole'

''David Moyes wants to sign Seamus Coleman and disappoint Celtic, Birmingham city, Burnley and St Johnstone.

But Sligo Rovers are unwilling to see their star defender become a toffee unless Everton substantially increase their offer for him.
It is believed that Everton are willing to pay The Bit O’Red approximately €200,000 for the League of Irelands most highly rated young full back.
However Sligo would receive less than €100,000in the initial transfer fee for the 29 year old.
And that is not acceptable to the Sligo management board that it should be able to earn €125,000 in the first payment.

The club wont stand in the Killybegs mans way of moving to an English or Scottish club but feel that they are not being offered serious money for their most saleable asset.

Evertons strong interest may restoke interest from Birmingham where Coleman spent a week on trial last month.
The Ireland under 21 international still has one year left on his contractand as he is under the age of 23, Sligo are in a strong negotiating position under UEFA transfer regulations''
:eek:

but i think this is good, lets get abit of a bidding-war going.
and if we could get Man City interested.....

srfc1928
17/01/2009, 6:20 PM
Has he aged that much in the off-season?
Typo, my mistake :o

Well Red
17/01/2009, 7:33 PM
This thing of Irish clubs not wanting to stand in the way of a player going to England is rubbish. The clubs have giving the player the opportunity to train and develop within a team here and why should some club or agent from the UK come in and expect to pick up a talent like this for buttons. Seamus has illustrated his abilities for sometime and had appeared for his Country several times with distinction, so lets cut out this thing of not standing to stand in a players way. Unless the club get at least €200k straight with follow on conditions, then it would not be a great deal.

Red&White Rover
17/01/2009, 7:55 PM
To be honest I think LOI are treated appallingly with regard to players moving cross channel.

Would ever see a League One or Two player being allowed to go and tarin with prospective buyers for 2 weeks?

As much as I want Seamie to stay, I really hope he gets his big move, cause he really is a wonderful talent and an absolute gentleman as well.

SligoBrewer
17/01/2009, 9:11 PM
As much as I want Seamie to stay, I really hope he gets his big move, cause he really is a wonderful talent and an absolute gentleman as well.

Echoed. It'll be worse though if he rots in the reserves ala O'Donovon, Mooney etc.

Rovers1
17/01/2009, 9:14 PM
The club should if possibe, look to see if they can loan Seamie back for 1 season, as part of the deal.

dublinred
17/01/2009, 9:26 PM
The Maniac would be happy if Everton signed him

200k is cheap , Seamie will play right back for Ireland.

srfc1928
18/01/2009, 11:13 AM
Journalisim at its finest ! :eek:

http://www.people.co.uk/sport/tm_headline=hotline-everton-go-to-sea&method=full&objectid=21050827&siteid=93463-name_page.html

srfc1928
18/01/2009, 11:25 AM
Seamus Coleman thread on Everton forum, Grand Old Team

http://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/everton-forum/11511-seamus-coleman.html

Red4Eva
18/01/2009, 11:48 AM
i was told he was in contract talks with them yesterday evening and sounds like he'll sign very soon. he's delighted with the move

brianw82
18/01/2009, 11:58 AM
i was told he was in contract talks with them yesterday evening and sounds like he'll sign very soon. he's delighted with the move

One of the few PL clubs who actually give youth team/young players a chance. Good luck to him, if true.

avvenalaf
18/01/2009, 5:47 PM
Sligoman giving him a great write up on Everton board.

'He doesn't even drink'

Jaysus!.
You forgot to tell them about him going to Mass every morning.:p

Inside Man
18/01/2009, 9:31 PM
Sligoman giving him a great write up on Everton board.

'He doesn't even drink'

Jaysus!.
You forgot to tell them about him going to Mass every morning.:p
:D
Wonder if the club could hold out for more for him. With so much interest now the club have the opportunity to really get the best deal possible.

roversman
19/01/2009, 10:23 AM
i hope they include a game against everton (i support the pool ) but it would make a few more euros too and not like the celtic games that we never got

Shedzer
19/01/2009, 12:48 PM
We need to sell him while we can for as much as we can...

He has being good for us, most overhype him but thats to be expected.

If we get 200k it would be great

red_away
19/01/2009, 2:41 PM
Now all we need is a bidding war with birmingham city - KAKA style!!!

Rovers1
19/01/2009, 6:18 PM
most overhype him

why do you think that????

red arrow
19/01/2009, 8:04 PM
i hear that the offer that everton made would not keep the lights on for the season. they know we need the dosh but i say hold out for at least k150 plus a game

srfc1928
19/01/2009, 8:15 PM
i hear that the offer that everton made would not keep the lights on for the season. they know we need the dosh but i say hold out for at least k150 plus a game
If thats the case, i'd tell them to take a run & jump.
Even at £100,000 it wouldnt pay 10 weeks wages.
If we do well next season,
Seamie could be worth more to us than that derogatory offer

gustavo
19/01/2009, 8:39 PM
we'd definitely want to be looking for add ons like % of next sale

Shedzer
19/01/2009, 9:36 PM
why do you think that????

Well firstly Peers is Rover's best defender over the last 2 or 3 years.. Seamie will get away with being out of position because of his pace in the Eircom League.. Don't want to knock him here but there are many flaws to his game yet..

SligoBrewer
19/01/2009, 9:43 PM
Well firstly Peers is Rover's best defender over the last 2 or 3 years.. Seamie will get away with being out of position because of his pace in the Eircom League.. Don't want to knock him here but there are many flaws to his game yet..
:eek:

Tread softly because you tread on my dreams

pete
19/01/2009, 9:51 PM
If Sligo or any other club don't want their players going on trial they can stop them. If 200k is not enough for them they don't have to accept that either. Unfortunately LOI clubs not in stable financial positions to turn the money down.

I can't remember the compensation terms but if Cloeman was to move to Everton when he is out of contract in a year good chance Sligo could get close to that E200k but no guaranteed clauses. The only value of selling now aside from immeadiate cash is can get some sell on clauses inserted which is where all the potential cash can be made.

red bellied
20/01/2009, 12:58 PM
Meanwhile, Toolan said nothing was “set in stone” regarding the future of Seamus Coleman, following reports linking the Republic of Ireland U-21 international with a cross-channel move to Everton.

Toolan also said that transfer figures in the media - one report put •180,000 on a Coleman/Everton deal - tended to be “grossly exaggerated”.

He said Sligo Rovers were in negotiations with three English Premier League clubs and two Scottish Football League clubs and were holding out for a figure they had in mind. He said Coleman’s happiness with the deal was also a factor.

http://www.sligoweekender.ie/news/story/?trs=mhqlcwsnid&cat=sport

Guts&Glory
20/01/2009, 1:24 PM

Capped by ROI for two international teams.

Won rave reviews last year from media, other managers, fans and players in the league.

Has 3 premier League and Two Scottish teams looking for his signature.

Ya he msut be overrated with many flaws to his game.

Typical Irish - knock your own!!

Inside Man
20/01/2009, 4:55 PM
Meanwhile, Toolan said nothing was “set in stone” regarding the future of Seamus Coleman, following reports linking the Republic of Ireland U-21 international with a cross-channel move to Everton.

Toolan also said that transfer figures in the media - one report put •180,000 on a Coleman/Everton deal - tended to be “grossly exaggerated”.

He said Sligo Rovers were in negotiations with three English Premier League clubs and two Scottish Football League clubs and were holding out for a figure they had in mind. He said Coleman’s happiness with the deal was also a factor.

http://www.sligoweekender.ie/news/story/?trs=mhqlcwsnid&cat=sport

If this committee had any sense they should be recieving advice from clubs who have been involved in these kind of discusions before! Or else they will be brought to the cleaners because they are dealing with professionals in these kind of discusions. Lets hope they had the brains to do that much.
Secondly I hope they make the right decision for the club. 100k for Coleman is not a good deal. If they work it out having Coleman in our squad could mean the difference of going through to another round in europa League and there you go = 100k prize money. Just make a sensible decision lads.

However I have no confidence in the men at the helm to tell the truth and if we had qualified business men who know how to do business right we may be in a better position and obviously we'd get a better deal for our man.

Rovers1
20/01/2009, 5:04 PM
If they work it out having Coleman in our squad could mean the difference of going through to another round in europa League and there you go = 100k prize money.

Im pretty sure you wouldnt get that much for progressing through 1 preliminary round??

Jeebus
21/01/2009, 9:24 AM
Going by these it looks like deal close to being agreed

"Moyes is also expected to complete the signing of Sligo Rovers' 20-year-old right-back, Seamus Coleman, for a fee of around £200,000 this week."

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/246692.html

&

"Meanwhile, Everton are hopeful of completing a deal for Sligo Rovers defender Seamus Coleman.

Moyes wants to snap up the 20-year-old right-back, who is a Republic of Ireland under-21s international.

Coleman had a trial at Birmingham City last month, while Glasgow giants Celtic have also been tracking the highly-rated defender."

http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/everton-fc/everton-fc-news/2009/01/21/moyes-plans-loan-raid-for-almeida-64375-22741246/

Looks like Moyes is after Mauro going by the heading in the link: 'moyes-plans-loan-raid-for-almeida'

Only1Rovers
21/01/2009, 12:41 PM
Looks like Moyes is after Mauro going by the heading in the link: 'moyes-plans-loan-raid-for-almeida'

I got a shock too, :D

Inside Man
21/01/2009, 6:48 PM
Im pretty sure you wouldnt get that much for progressing through 1 preliminary round??
Okay look at the broader picture. 70k in Europa is an added posibility with Coleman and add in an extra cup tie or two and there you go 100k or close enough to it anyway. Although thats just speculation and that money may never arise or it might. Its a gamble.

Uncle Tupelo
21/01/2009, 11:42 PM
Well looks guaranteed he's leaving at this stage - best of luck to him. I'd just be worried that the board would just sell him for 150 k with no sell ons and then next season he winds up in their first team and is suddenly worth 2 million. Look at Cork and Kevin Doyle, they snapped Readings hand off when they pushed a 100k cheque in front of them - no add ons and now he's worth a fortune.
Fair enough he mightn't make it but Rovers have to cover the possibility that he could be a great success and put in a few clauses. 10% of future sale, 50 grand if he makes 20 appearances, that kind of thing.
Probably easier said than done but when's the next time we'll have an asset like Seamus on our books - got to make the most of it.

SligoBrewer
22/01/2009, 12:20 AM
Well looks guaranteed he's leaving at this stage - best of luck to him. I'd just be worried that the board would just sell him for 150 k with no sell ons and then next season he winds up in their first team and is suddenly worth 2 million. Look at Cork and Kevin Doyle, they snapped Readings hand off when they pushed a 100k cheque in front of them - no add ons and now he's worth a fortune.
Fair enough he mightn't make it but Rovers have to cover the possibility that he could be a great success and put in a few clauses. 10% of future sale, 50 grand if he makes 20 appearances, that kind of thing.
Probably easier said than done but when's the next time we'll have an asset like Seamus on our books - got to make the most of it.
there was add ons in the Kevin Doyle deal. Reading bought them out when Cork were in bother.

Inside Man
22/01/2009, 7:45 AM

It wouldn't be that hard to add in these kind of clauses. Because even if he makes it its Everton that are coming out on the good side of the deal. For a fella to make 20 apperances for Everton is well worth 20k to them.

RGMY
22/01/2009, 10:14 PM
heard from a source today that rovers could receive 100 k for coleman with potential add ons bringing it close to 180 plus 2 friendly games thrown in as well good bit of business there

micls
22/01/2009, 10:36 PM
Look at Cork and Kevin Doyle, they snapped Readings hand off when they pushed a 100k cheque in front of them - no add ons and now he's worth a fortune.

Wow, could you be any more wrong?

1)We had no choice but to accept, he had a clause in his contract. We were far from happy about the price

2) There was a 10% sell on clause

Red4Eva
22/01/2009, 11:04 PM
http://www.goal.com/en/news/735/west-ham/2009/01/22/1073416/west-ham-set-to-move-for-irish-youngster

RedRebel32
23/01/2009, 12:25 AM

Peers imo is rovers most valuable player without a doubt,he would be the biggest loss to our side if lost.However, I don't believe Seamus is overhyped he is a quality player,defensive positioning was never his main attribute he is a solid defender and superb attacking.I haven't actually seen a winger get the better of him over 90 minutes so I can't really say better than that.

As regards to a fee,I would be delighted to have him for our venture into europe and what looks to be potentially a very exciting season so if a proper offer doesn't come in then he should be with us.I would reluctantly accept a sell-on % plus 300k but would expect more tbh.People shouldn't look at a fee from just our perspective but from an english team's perspective too,and 200k is really not a lot to them for a very bright young talent capped by the international u21 team

Inside Man
23/01/2009, 8:56 AM
http://www.goal.com/en/news/735/west-ham/2009/01/22/1073416/west-ham-set-to-move-for-irish-youngster
Wow interest very high. Although I doubt West Ham would be able to match 100k plus clauses!

endabob1
23/01/2009, 9:11 AM
Surely it's a simple formula; It should be a standard set up for any young player moving to a bigger club be it home or abroad
Base Price
Add on fee based on appearances
% Sell on clause

The buying club get a player for a relatively low initial outlay, if they play 50 games for the first team the add on should be more than worth it, the sell on insures the selling club of not missing out on a portion of a potnetially big fee.
When Les Ferdinand went from QPR to Newcastle for 6.5m Hayes (NL club who sold Les to QPR) had a 10% clause, 650k went a long way to mantaining the club for a few years.

A face
23/01/2009, 9:21 AM
Exclusive: Sligo waiting for bids

Setanta.com (http://www.setanta.com/uk/Articles/Football/2009/1/22/LOIPrem-Exclusive-Coleman-move/gnid-36649/) can reveal that no deal has been struck with Sligo Rovers for defender Seamus Coleman, despite reports suggesting Everton are close to signing him. David Moyes has been linked with a move for the highly-rated right-back, although a number of other clubs are also said to be monitoring his situation.

The Republic of Ireland U-21 international spent a week training with Coca-Cola Championship side Birmingham City in the latter part of 2008, but they have yet to follow up their initial interest.

Read more at www.setanta.com (http://www.setanta.com/uk/Articles/Football/2009/1/22/LOIPrem-Exclusive-Coleman-move/gnid-36649/)

avvenalaf
24/01/2009, 7:34 PM
From Ocean FM

Hammers close in on Seamus Coleman Jan 24, 5:45 am

West Ham United are close to completing a deal for Sligo Rovers star Seamus Coleman, according to reports on Friday.

The 20-year-old right back has attracted attention from Coca-Cola Championship duo Ipswich Town and Birmingham City over the past two months.

But West Ham appear to lead the chase for the Republic of Ireland under-21 international.

A native of Donegal, Coleman has blossomed since joining Sligo from Donegal side St Catherine’s two years ago and is rightly regarded as one of the most promising young players in the League of Ireland.

Rovers fan
24/01/2009, 7:41 PM
They took that straight from another website/newspaper,can't remember what one though...

Red&White Rover
24/01/2009, 7:54 PM
It'll be Everton.

SkStu
24/01/2009, 11:45 PM
It'll be Everton.

how likly is this to happen do ye think? Im a toffee and Coleman fan - would love to see him make the step up (to any premer team).

Red&White Rover
25/01/2009, 12:06 AM
Very I'd say.

red bellied
28/01/2009, 11:45 AM
Looking very likely like Everton, "deal getting nearer by the minute" according to Cook in the Champion.

Rovers also considering CEO to run the club for following season and the budget has been slashed 20% of the previously cut budget from last season. Both stories in the Champion.

red_away
28/01/2009, 11:49 AM
Where will you get the budget for a decent CEO?

Decent management people are worth their weight in gold and companies reward them accordingly!

Unless of course someone of that ilk was willing to work for a minimal or free?