PDA

View Full Version : Relegation 2008

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

jinxy lilywhite
08/10/2008, 12:37 PM
Galway guys you don't want to win the cup and seriously get relegated.
Any investment ye guys get will be cut in half. Any half decent players ye have will leave. Also the first will increase to 12 teams chasing one automatic promotion spot and 3 play off (lottery places). If your in the first then you have 2 of Cobh, UCD, Harps and then 3 of Fingal, Shels, Waterford or Dundalk with a rejuvenated Limerick to contend with. The first will be a fcuker to get of next season and you'd seriously want to stay away from it next season.
Whereas if you survive then really you only need to battle the 1st Divison Winners (Dundalk), Sligo & Bray. That looks an easier prospect than winning the first next season. Its easier to stay in the premier than to win the first

SalvadorSanchez
08/10/2008, 12:43 PM
To hell with the cup.....
stay up,
restructure wages, costs, ticket prices etc.
Build team around local lads
sign 1 - 2 players

A face
08/10/2008, 1:23 PM
It could be a fight for bottom two places as well, if Cork City dont get a licence or what ever way it pans out? But if i were one of the clubs in the drop zone i wouldn't like to count on that though, better to be safe and not in the bottom three.

Tir Oilean
08/10/2008, 9:36 PM
Stay up definitely. As Jinx Lillywhite says it'll be c*nt to get out of the 1st next season. We spent a long time down there and it would be a disaster if we spent another few years in the quagmire.

Candystripe
09/10/2008, 12:55 AM
I reckon both Harps and Galway will stay up with UCD and Cobh joining Bohs in the 1st division.

I think Harps will only need one more win and Galway are well capable of getting 7 points which will be enough.

The Rebel Ram
09/10/2008, 1:30 AM
I think it will be Cobh and Galway to stay up. I think Harps will get the 10 point deduction and Cork will also get further points deductions/relagation.

Not the way I would want to stay up but at this stage I would take any way!

Mr A
09/10/2008, 9:37 AM
I think it will be Cobh and Galway to stay up. I think Harps will get the 10 point deduction and Cork will also get further points deductions/relagation.

Not the way I would want to stay up but at this stage I would take any way!

Are you on the wind up here or what? Harps have had to cut wages for the last 6-7 weeks of the season having paid in full up to that point, fair enough, but Cobh cut back wages far, far sooner and have consistently failed to pay on time throughout the season. So why would we get a deduction and not you guys?

If anyone should benefit from deductions for financial issues it should be UCD, not Cobh or Galway.

Louth4sam
09/10/2008, 1:07 PM
Stay up definitely. As Jinx Lillywhite says it'll be c*nt to get out of the 1st next season. We spent a long time down there and it would be a disaster if we spent another few years in the quagmire.

Trust me lads you'd want to stay up!

We went down with the cup in 2002 and still haven't gotten back. We thought we'd bounce straight back up.

Olander
09/10/2008, 1:14 PM
Trust me lads you'd want to stay up!

We went down with the cup in 2002 and still haven't gotten back. We thought we'd bounce straight back up.
indeed.

try telling that to a few of the glory hunting idiots that support our club that have never heard of a thing called foresight!!! :mad:

micls
09/10/2008, 6:17 PM
This si changing by the minute. With the Drogs news now and the fact it seems unlikely them or us will get a license next year it could be a case of just finish above the bottom....

pineapple stu
09/10/2008, 6:25 PM
First come first served with a licence?

El-Pietro
09/10/2008, 7:01 PM
If Drogheda go part time, renege on thier agreement to find a new home, and can't pay their players I cannot see them ever getting a Premier License

As for us. I have no idea. We may not exist this time next week though hopefully we will be well on our way to recovery. If we come to an agreement with the Revenue and the courts are happy then punishing us further would just be cruel.

For me, Galway have the best run in of the lot so its really in their hands. Finn Harps best after that.

I want Galway to stay up. I quite like Terryland, Finn Harps is very far and I never want to go back to St. Colmans - UCD will hopefully go down.

Battery Rover
09/10/2008, 8:21 PM
First come first served with a licence?

I think if they dont decide to put everyone in the same pot next season it will be the 10 clubs that get premier licences making up the top division.

mypost
11/10/2008, 2:22 AM
Would like Cobh or Galway to stay up, nice trips in store, but it will probably be between UCD and Harps, until we see what teams get relegated for financial irregularities, of which several are in the frame. Then all 4 can stay up. :eek::D

don ramo
11/10/2008, 2:33 AM
i dont think so at this stage, if supposedly bohs are being added to the list the legue will be a frace,

like said a 16 (or more preferably 18) team prem, with the remaining 4 teams and 3 championship teams with a few reseve teams would be best option, as i think it would spice it up, playing each other twice would add a bit more excitemnt, its to familiar your more or less playing the same teams every other month,

but what do i know

bellavistaman
13/10/2008, 10:33 AM
Hope a team doesnt go by defsult messy end to the league then, saying that if we finish third last i wont mind.

Dodge
13/10/2008, 1:30 PM
like said a 16 (or more preferably 18) team prem, with the remaining 4 teams and 3 championship teams with a few reseve teams would be best option, as i think it would spice it up, playing each other twice would add a bit more excitemnt, its to familiar your more or less playing the same teams every other month,

but what do i know

Anything without relegation won't work. 5 teams with somethig to play for with 2 months to go and the rest just cutting costs...

blackholesun
13/10/2008, 1:33 PM
i dont think so at this stage, if supposedly bohs are being added to the list the legue will be a frace,

but what do i know

The ten team league was pushed for by greedy "big" teams are living beyond their means who wanted the extra "big game" / "derby" gate receipts to help balance the books.

Ten team league will be a total bore fest!

A 16 team league made of clubs living within their means is the way to go next season. That would be better for the development of football as a whole. Id love to some trips to Wexford or Athlone rather than another game against Bray.

bhs

eelmonster
13/10/2008, 1:49 PM
In reality, as much as I'd like to see a 14 or 16 team top flight, I can't see the FAI allowing anything other than their planned 10 team premier division next season. Firstly, they'll have to witness it fail miserably before being convinced that it is a bad idea; secondly, is it not simply too late for anything else?

bellavistaman
13/10/2008, 1:49 PM
ya for the teams that have been a constant in prem the away trips must get a bit boring

Dodge
13/10/2008, 2:03 PM
Firstly, they'll have to witness it fail miserably before being convinced that it is a bad idea?

As opposed to the runaway success that was the 12 team premier, and the 16 team one division before that?

ya for the teams that have been a constant in prem the away trips must get a bit boring
maybe, but thats hardly a consideration for the league is it, whether some of us are bored of playing Cork?

blackholesun
13/10/2008, 2:08 PM
In reality, as much as I'd like to see a 14 or 16 team top flight, I can't see the FAI allowing anything other than their planned 10 team premier division next season. Firstly, they'll have to witness it fail miserably before being convinced that it is a bad idea;

secondly, is it not simply too late for anything else?

What? The games dont kick off for about 5 months. A 16 team top tier could easily be quickly arranged.

Just rate the teams licence apps on a points basis and take the top 16 rather than the top 10. With so many clubs struggling financially at the mo, I think this process of accessing who are "fittest" top ten clubs is going to have to happen anyways.

bhs

GuisaSaigon
13/10/2008, 2:22 PM
What? The games dont kick off for about 5 months. A 16 team top tier could easily be quickly arranged.

Just rate the teams licence apps on a points basis and take the top 16 rather than the top 10. With so many clubs struggling financially at the mo, I think this process of accessing who are "fittest" top ten clubs is going to have to happen anyways.

bhs

You could get clubs to make presentations. Some might even make a DVD!

mypost
13/10/2008, 2:59 PM

Unfortunately, under the 2006 proposals, clubs basically entered into a contract which stated the league, must have a top division of 10 clubs from 2009. It cannot be changed now.

The 10-team league was a failure, is a failure, and will continue to be a failure. Just so there would be an even number of games. :rolleyes: Nothing to do with whether it benefits the league or not.

Battery Rover
13/10/2008, 3:09 PM
I know all clubs were asked to make submissions to the FAI this season as it was the end of the 3 year agreement.

eelmonster
13/10/2008, 3:11 PM
As opposed to the runaway success that was the 12 team premier, and the 16 team one division before that?

And the 10 team premier before that? I wasn't advocating one division, by the way.

Dodge
13/10/2008, 3:14 PM
The 10-team league was a failure, is a failure, and will continue to be a failure. Just so there would be an even number of games. :rolleyes: Nothing to do with whether it benefits the league or not.

Was it is as biga failure as any of the other league "options"? 12 team league doing well at the moment?

How anyone (on either side of the argument) could possible think that a 10 team or 12 team league would make an ounce of difference is beyond me.

oldyouth
13/10/2008, 3:14 PM
A 16 team league made of clubs living within their means is the way to go next season. That would be better for the development of football as a whole. Id love to some trips to Wexford or Athlone rather than another game against Bray.

bhs
Although Wexford have the financial stability, they are not ready to compete at a higher level yet. Regular hammerings by more established professional/semi professional teams will see fans (and players) drift away and set us back years. It's not as if we could go out and recruit players from wherever as that is against the stated aim of the club to source the team locally.

As for the 10 team league, well the 1st division is like that at present and I think every club will tell you they are sick of playing the same opposition 4 times a year, more if you get drawn in any of the cups.

El-Pietro
13/10/2008, 4:51 PM
Cork City will have played Derry 6 times by the end of the season, and we could play Drogs a 7th time if we reach the setanta cup final.

Adding another league game to that is getting out of hand.

I like the idea of a 16 or 18 team league so you only play each other twice but I can't see it happening. Athlone, Kildare, Wexford et al would end up taking severe beatings in the league from the top teams and it would be detrimental to their crowds

Battery Rover
13/10/2008, 5:13 PM
I like the idea of a 16 or 18 team league so you only play each other twice but I can't see it happening. Athlone, Kildare, Wexford et al would end up taking severe beatings in the league from the top teams and it would be detrimental to their crowds

In our case the crowds are as low as they will go due to being down to the hardcore already for the past couple of seasons.

A 18 team league would at least give us some away support and that would help the cash flow situation in the division. I have spent the guts of 15k advertising our games this season and no noticable increase.

I dread to think how bad this division would be crowd wise if Dundalk and Shels were promoted and no offence meant here but UCD and Cobh were relegated.

Mr Maroon
13/10/2008, 7:17 PM
That sounds a lot something that has been tried already...

Mr A
13/10/2008, 7:25 PM
So did Pats actually make any effort whatsoever against Cobh? It certainly didn't look like it on MNS.

gufct
13/10/2008, 10:25 PM
They were a disgrace and i doubt if they will be as bad tomorrow night which is shocking.

Dodge
13/10/2008, 11:00 PM
So did Pats actually make any effort whatsoever against Cobh? It certainly didn't look like it on MNS.

Didn't watch MNS but i'd be surprised if they showed how bad we actually were.

A slight mitigation factor was our huge injury list, which saw us name only 3 players on the bench that have never played senior football before. Of the 11 that started, only 4 would be first choice in their positions (and one of them was Barry Ryan, who went off injured at half time)

Trainee
13/10/2008, 11:07 PM
Didn't watch MNS but i'd be surprised if they showed how bad we actually were.

A slight mitigation factor was our huge injury list, which saw us name only 3 players on the bench that have never played senior football before. Of the 11 that started, only 4 would be first choice in their positions (and one of them was Barry Ryan, who went off injured at half time)

How many of those injured players are back for tomorrow night

Dodge
13/10/2008, 11:23 PM
None. Derek O'Brien is back from suspension.

Out are
• Dessie Byrne - hamstring injury
• Damien Lynch – ankle injury
• David Partridge – shoulder injury
• Bobby Ryan – knee injury
• Stephen Paisley – groin strain
• Gary O’Neill – groin strain
• John Murphy – back injury

Doubtful;
• Mark Quigley - flu (missed Cobh)
• Barry Ryan - back (replaced at half time v Cobh)
• Gary Dempsey - toe (played 90 mins v Cobh)

We finished the game with Cobh with Jamie Harris and 18 year old debut boy Stephen Fitzpatrick up front

El-Pietro
13/10/2008, 11:41 PM
In our case the crowds are as low as they will go due to being down to the hardcore already for the past couple of seasons.

A 18 team league would at least give us some away support and that would help the cash flow situation in the division. I have spent the guts of 15k advertising our games this season and no noticable increase.

I dread to think how bad this division would be crowd wise if Dundalk and Shels were promoted and no offence meant here but UCD and Cobh were relegated.
Just to follow on from this. Probably should be in another thread somewhere but what the hell.

As things stand we have 22 clubs plus the 3 A Championship sides as well as Kilkenny for arguments sake. That gives us 26 clubs

We could have a league with the top 16 for next season or the season after (or whenever) and then a league with the remaining ten as the first division

You could have 2 teams relegated and one play off spot below that for arguments sake.

That 16 team league might consist of (depending on how financially screwed certain teams are)
1: Bohemians
2: St. Pats
3: Derry City
4: Cork City (I'm assuming Drogs will be deducted ten points this week)
5: Sligo Rovers
6: Shamrock Rovers
7: Drogheda United
8: Bray Wanderers
9: Finn Harps
10: Cobh Ramblers
11: U.C.D.
12: Galway
13: Shelbourne
14: Dundalk
15: Waterford United
16: Sporting Fingal

The first division would then contain
1: Limerick 37
2: Monaghan United
3: Longford Town
4: Wexford Youths
5: Athlone Town
6: Kildare County
7: Tullamore
8: Kilkenny City
9: Salthill Devon
10: Mervue United

I have listed these teams in their current league order so no one can say why aren't we in the premier - It wouldn't be up to me to decide who goes where there would obviously be a licensing committee to decide upon that.

you could maybe talk to the likes of Kerry League, FC Carlow and whoever else to get the first division to a 16 team league.

Obviously the teams in the first division would struggle to get crowds as they wouldn't be facing Shels, Dundalk et al but conversely you might see bigger crowds if marketed properly as teams like Athlone or Monaghan would be doing fairly well in this league and might have a legitimate shot at promotion - especially if you introduced a play off in the first division between 3rd and fourth over two legs to face third bottom in the premier.

The smaller teams - the A champ sides wouldn't need huge gates as they would most likely be amateur.

Its not perfect but no system is, but maybe it's worth debate

I'll leave it up to you to pick holes in. I know the premier looks very interesting and every team in the league as things stand would have a shot at getting to the premier if they had a good season.

the-blue-harp
14/10/2008, 12:01 AM
i think the idea of a ten team league is to give top teams a more competitive league, where they are challenged every week.

personally i like this structure of 16 because it does more for all the other teams in the league that would give teams a second chance to start again. i think it would revitalise the league. really shake things up. also it would stop these ten teams in the premier next year overspending again in a repeat of this year.

mypost
14/10/2008, 12:20 AM
Was it is as biga failure as any of the other league "options"? 12 team league doing well at the moment?

Yes it was, the worst possible solution. Next year, we will have 2 extra away games than this season, and 3, not 1, midweek games, which could be anywhere from Derry to Cork.

At least with the 12 team league, you'd go 3 months before playing the opposition. With the 10-team league, if you're unlucky with postponements/midweek games, you could be playing them every 6-7 weeks, more than that if you get them in the cups as well. It will all impact on the gates.

Candystripe
14/10/2008, 3:15 AM
To be fair we will be playing Cork tonight for the 6th time this season..4th time in 4 weeks and we should get at least 3k plus at it.

It depends on the type and quality of the competition we play each other in and how much it means to both clubs.

JC_GUFC
14/10/2008, 8:59 AM
None. Derek O'Brien is back from suspension.

Out are
• Dessie Byrne - hamstring injury
• Damien Lynch – ankle injury
• David Partridge – shoulder injury
• Bobby Ryan – knee injury
• Stephen Paisley – groin strain
• Gary O’Neill – groin strain
• John Murphy – back injury

Doubtful;
• Mark Quigley - flu (missed Cobh)
• Barry Ryan - back (replaced at half time v Cobh)
• Gary Dempsey - toe (played 90 mins v Cobh)

We finished the game with Cobh with Jamie Harris and 18 year old debut boy Stephen Fitzpatrick up front

You forgot to add Paul Osam to that doubtful list. ;)

The Rebel Ram
14/10/2008, 5:23 PM
St Pats V Galway game is off due to water logged pitch.
Great news for Cobh,
St Pats might have the injury list reduced by time of the replay:cool:

GuisaSaigon
15/10/2008, 10:31 AM
St Pats V Galway game is off due to water logged pitch.
Great news for Cobh,
St Pats might have the injury list reduced by time of the replay:cool:

And we'll have Jay O'Shea back from international duty:D

foxx92
17/10/2008, 10:07 PM
Its relly heating up now. Galway won and Harps lost tonite!

JC_GUFC
18/10/2008, 9:50 AM
I have to say Harps looked shockingly bad tonight.
I'm surprised that Drogheda got a point in Cork and that's bad news for Harps who travel there next week.

Huge game tonight in Cobh, I guess a draw is the best result for United.

We're playing Pat's on Monday now but they've also got a game tonight. I believe we could win it but would take a point as Pat's are still a very good team.

Mr A
18/10/2008, 10:00 AM
Very hard to see us staying up to be honest, we're just not really good enough and have a shockingly incompetent manager. I think we need 7 points from the last 3 games but it looks very unlikely indeed. On current form Galway will beat us off the park.

brianw82
18/10/2008, 10:53 AM
Harps were brutally bad last night. I think a lot of commentators were underestimating Rovers, though. As mentioned by Stephen Alkin in commentary, we actually haven't lost to one of the bottom 4 this season, and were never going to roll over. Harps need to buck their ideas up, and fast.

Inside Man
18/10/2008, 1:13 PM
2/1 last night on Rovers to win. Easy money. Don't know where them odds came from. But I won a few quid on it anyway.
Galway to stay up now. I just really hope one of either Harps or Galway stay up. Harp preferably.

The Rebel Ram
18/10/2008, 9:47 PM
Ramblers looking good for fourth from bottom, Galway the biggest threat now. Hopefully Pats can do Cobh a big favour on Monday night by taking all 3 points from Galway.
Will it stay this way though????:(:D

Avg
Team P W D L F A GD Pts Pts
1 Bohemians 30 24 4 2 49 12 37 76 2.5
2 St Patricks Athletic 28 17 6 5 42 21 21 57 2.0
3 Derry City 29 14 9 6 38 20 18 51 1.8
4 Drogheda United 30 12 9 9 34 24 10 45 1.5
5 Cork City* 30 14 10 6 43 25 18 42 1.4
6 Sligo Rovers 30 10 11 9 37 27 10 41 1.4
7 Shamrock Rovers 30 8 12 10 31 30 1 36 1.2
8 Bray Wanderers 30 9 6 15 21 45 -24 33 1.1
9 Cobh Ramblers 30 6 8 16 23 46 -23 26 0.9
10 Finn Harps 30 7 4 19 22 49 -27 25 0.8
11 Galway United 29 5 8 16 29 47 -18 23 0.8
12 UCD 30 4 9 17 19 42 -23 21 0.7

Maroon 7
19/10/2008, 2:48 AM
Cobh and Galway seem the form teams at the bottom right now. Harps after a good run are flagging. UCD look doomed.

Very hard to predict all the same. I fancy there will be a twist or two before the end.