Thread: Lapira to Consider International Future

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Lapira to Consider International Future

I'm sure this'll go down well!

Republic of Ireland international Joseph Lapira has cast doubt over his future in Steve Staunton’s squad by admitting that he could yet throw in his lot with his native United States.

Lapira became the first amateur in more than 40 years to win a senior cap for Ireland when Staunton’s side took on Ecuador back in May.

But the Notre Dame college star – who qualifies to wear the green through his Irish-born mother – revealed he could yet turn his back on Ireland and launch a career with the USA.

He said: “It was pretty special to play for Ireland as, to be honest, I thought I’d just be training with them. I had never played at anything higher than college level so to be thrust into international soccer was amazing. Going to play with Ireland was a big step up.

"I still have an option to commit my international future to the United States as the Ecuador game wasn’t a competitive one. I have to make up my mind before my 21st birthday.”

Lapira is in Scotland this week for a trial with Rangers and could become the first Irish international to play for the Ibrox side since Alexander Stevenson more than 70 years ago.

However, he insists he will not be signing any professional contract until he completes his studies at Notre Dame later this year.

"I only arrived in Scotland late on Sunday and I hurt my calf in my first training session, so I’m not sure how much they will be able to assess me,” said the 20-year-old.

“It doesn’t matter too much, though, because I was always going to go back home until the end of the year to finish my studies [in management entrepreneurship]. I can maybe come back at Christmas.”
    from eleven-a-side

bit cheeky. He turns 21 in a few weeks (August 13th) so I don't see why he's coming out with that now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    ah jaysis , wait until tuff paddy reads this !!
    Was he crazy!! Yeah , in a very special way , an Irishman.
    I slept, and dreamed that life was Beauty;
    I woke, and found that life was Duty.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Oh, the delicious irony. And to think that when I read the thread title first I thought it read "Lapira to Consider International Failure".
    That question was less stupid, though you asked it in a profoundly stupid way.

Help me, Arthur Murphy, you're my only hope!

Quote Originally Posted by Dodge
    I bow to no one. bar Bluebeard and Mr A

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Did he by any chance stumble on the "Joseph Lapira Thread" and just didn't think it was worth the hassle?
    "Well I think they'll be a little disappointed with that" - Matt Holland on TV3 after 5-2 drubbing by Cyprus

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Ogba View Post
    Did he by any chance stumble on the "Joseph Lapira Thread" and just didn't think it was worth the hassle?
    All 17 pages!!!
    Quoting years at random since 1975

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    The only merit in selecting him was to bag him for good. I thought a full cap made it irreversable, like when McGeady came on against Jamaica or whoever it was. I know we've discussed the rules before but I've forgotten.

If Lapira is right then the argument that his cap devalues the privilege holds.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    If your argument is right the privilige is still devalued

but we've argued about that enough here so back to Lapira...
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Good riddance to him do we really need ******* like this playing for us particularly when they are crap? Playing for Ireland is a big step up from College football apparently. Thanks for sharing that brilliant brainwave. He doesn't mention anything about being proud of pulling on the Ireland jersey. Yank mercenary.

Let him play for the states, he's far more likely to get a regular game for them anyway, they have a far poorer selection of forwards.

I hope that clown Staunton reads that interview.
    Last edited by gustavo; 26/07/2007 at 12:43 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    IF there are no games before his 21st can he then change his mind. If there are no matches surely he has to play for us, or does he just have to send a letter to Fifa before his 21st or how does it work.
    In Trap we trust

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Letter to FIFA would suffice I would imagine. What a clown though, to think it is one thing but to put it in print is just plain silly.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Ungrateful *******, hopefully he declares for the US and signs for Rangers

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    guys could this have something to do with the whole rangers thing?? sounds pathetic I know but he is only a kid and could be easily advised Id say

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    462 Posts
    I think he has made a right fool of himself, once you play a A International for a Team, you can not play for another country.

I think he is getting confused with the Under-21 rule, where players can play for one nation, and can declare themselves for another nation before 21st Birthday.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBoss View Post
    I think he has made a right fool of himself, once you play a A International for a Team, you can not play for another country.
    I think he is getting confused with the Under-21 rule, where players can play for one nation, and can declare themselves for another nation before 21st Birthday.
    You are right, once a dual national has played at A level for one of the countries he can't change over, even if he is still u21.
    Is there anything more to write about Joe, maybe some speculation on how much his cap has devalued someone elses hard earned cap?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    someone should do some "Joe Lapira - Irish Legend" t shirts...or some Gullitt Euro 88 style Lapira wigs...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sligonproud View Post
    agreed youngirish.
    and indeed i think it de-values the cap even more...he got one, got his day in the lime light, and now wants to f*ck off and play for the US....good riddence to him, should never have been given a cap anyways...i hope he signs for Rangers, that would seal his faith...
    I love the unintentional irony that underpins your response... I'm not having a dig at you but you surely meant "fate" rather than "faith", didn't you...? Are you reading this H4E? Look, all these Irish, sure they're all bigoted Celtic fans, aren't they?

Anyway, and in spite of the crap that has permeated previous "discussions" on the subject, I hope JL becomes the first Irish international of modern times to play for Rangers. It would surely shake up a few firmly-held views on all sides, no?

PP
    Last edited by Plastic Paddy; 25/07/2007 at 9:37 PM.
    Semper in faecibus sole profundum variat

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    D Donavon should have played instead of him.He will be nothing special.Good luck with the US...Next!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    You are right, once a dual national has played at A level for one of the countries he can't change over, even if he is still u21.
    Is there anything more to write about Joe, maybe some speculation on how much his cap has devalued someone elses hard earned cap?
    True but I'm not sure a friendly is an official competition and the 2005 rules state:

As a general rule, any Player who has already represented one Association
    (either in full or in part) in an official competition of any category
    may not play an international match with another Association
    team.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    why is there even a discussion on this chap whos done **** all?
    Last edited by gustavo; 26/07/2007 at 12:42 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    232 Posts
    Three "technical" observations:
    1. His playing in a friendly for ROI does not compromise his subsequent eligibility for the USA;
    2. Whatever Rangers fans may think, I imagine Walter Smith would prefer he elected for ROI than USA, since that would entail much less travelling and "out-of-season" internationals (that's assuming Smith is even interested in signing him, which is moot);
    3. Perhaps Lapira has also concluded he's simply not good enough to get a regular place with ROI and/or in European club football, so decided to throw in his lot with USA, since MLS Salary Regulations etc reward teams for employing USA-eligible players over non-USA eligible?

Anyhow, a more personal observation for the benefit of those ROI fans who are now looking at Lapira and thinking "Tosser" (i.e. for using ROI to achieve a bit of prominence before he suddenly remembers he's really American):
    You might just understand a little better how NI fans feel when youngsters represent us in UEFA under-age competitions etc, then elect to represent ROI at senior level...
    Last edited by EalingGreen; 26/07/2007 at 12:09 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast