Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Top players will quit if Staunton forced out

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts

Top players will quit if Staunton forced out

This was in today's indo. Always a bit wary of journalists using - "a source close to the players" & "a friend of the manager said last night" type of quotes in articles, usually means they made it up.

EXCLUSIVE
    DION FANNING

SEVERAL senior Irish players, including captain Robbie Keane, are said to be prepared to quit international football if Steve Staunton loses his job next month.

Staunton will not resign and neither will he be sacked by the FAI before the games at Croke Park in March, but defeat against either Wales or Slovakia and his time as manager will be over.

But the senior players, including Keane and Damien Duff, are believed to have become increasingly disillusioned with the media reaction to every Irish performance and are annoyed by what they deem to be sensationalist coverage of the Irish team.

While all sides agree that defeat at Croke Park will cost Staunton his job, there is a feeling that the Irish job is no longer an attractive one for coaches and the FAI are believed to see few alternatives as manager if Staunton is forced to leave.

While a number of players would have quit international football if Brian Kerr had remained in charge, it seems that others will now consider their position if the campaign takes another turn for the worse over the next two matches.

Staunton has insisted again that he would not have left the job if Ireland had failed to beat San Marino. "Youse are going to have to put up with me, lads, no matter what you write," he told a group of journalists after Wednesday's game, but his time for experimentation with players and, more importantly, results is now at an end.

Staunton also insisted that his side was developing. "Of course we are, have a look at the players that are coming in and gaining experience, we have no choice, that was always going to happen, so there is progress being made."

The absence of any visible signs of this progress has left Staunton's reign on the brink, but the players, who have not performed as they should in key matches for a number of years, believe they are now under siege when they meet up with the Irish squad.

They are said to feel that this coverage is having a negative effect on the team and is in danger of turning into a situation similar to that in England where the national team was booed off last week following a home defeat to Spain.

Bobby Robson - who was hounded by the English press for eight years while he was national manager - is understood to have commented last week that he considers the Irish media to be worse.

"There's a siege mentality with the players at the moment," a source close to the players said yesterday.

"They're frightened to do anything which might make them look bad until you get to a match like the Czech game where it's win or bust."

The atmosphere in the FAI's headquarters at Merrion Square, revitalised under John Delaney, is said to darken when an international approaches and there is increasing anger at some of the coverage.

The players were particularly annoyed at the appearance of a newspaper employee dressed as Miss Piggy who showed up at training following the Cyprus games and succeeded in being photographed with some of the players.

Staunton, meanwhile, is believed to feel he is under extra pressure because of Delaney's "world-class" appointment comment, made after Kerr left the job.

While Delaney has justified this again last week by saying he promised a world-class management team, Staunton fears it has increased the pressure.

"Stan didn't say it, but it's being used as a stick to beat him with," a friend of the manager said last night.

Results are all that matter for Steve Staunton now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Fannings a first class ***** anyway we know that much.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    F**k me, now that is a shock. I didn't think we had any "top players"!
    "In life, it aint about how hard you can hit, it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep on moving forward"

Rocky Balboa

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Man this PR spinning bullsh!t is a minefield....

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    I would say this was Duff speaking to Carr who passed it on to Fanning. Or else Delaney going "off the record"! Laughable spin.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by co. down green
    (Article)SEVERAL senior Irish players, including captain Robbie Keane, are said to be prepared to quit international football if Steve Staunton loses his job next month.

But the senior players, are believed to have become increasingly disillusioned with the media reaction to every Irish performance and are annoyed by what they deem to be sensationalist coverage of the Irish team.

While a number of players would have quit international football if Brian Kerr had remained in charge, it seems that others will now consider their position if the campaign takes another turn for the worse over the next two matches.

the players, who have not performed as they should in key matches for a number of years, believe they are now under siege when they meet up with the Irish squad.

They are said to feel that this coverage is having a negative effect on the team and is in danger of turning into a situation similar to that in England where the national team was booed off last week following a home defeat to Spain.

Bobby Robson - who was hounded by the English press for eight years while he was national manager - is understood to have commented last week that he considers the Irish media to be worse.
    If they don't like the coverage, and want to retire, because their boss got sacked, f'em. There are many LOI players that want to play for their country, and leave the mutiny players to focus on their Ferraris, and relegation battles.

If they really, really think the Irish media are bad, then they should take a look at how other countries, where football is the be-all and end-all of sport, react to 2-5, and 0-4 defeats, and 2-1 wins in the last minute to part-timers. The Irish media are polite by comparison.

And yes, we're stuck with the clueless puppet in charge, regardless of whether we win in Croker or not, in March.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,000 Posts
    I cant understand it.

IF (and that is a big if) Stan was a great manager, and was being attacked for something non-football related (affair, tax evasion etc), I can understand players wanting him to be kept, and football and "politics" to be kept separate. But he is running the team into the ground.

The media reaction, at least in terms of results, has been acceptable. I dont live in Ireland so I dont see the media day to day, but outrage and anger and a wish for change all seem acceptable based on the current situation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    This is the problem you get when the players are friends with the manager from their playing days
    My Guarantee
    Am looking for old Irish matches on VHS, PM me if you have some and I'll upload them here

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    I have been very critical of the EL on these boards before. I am tired of some posters hijacking every thread saying how X and Y are better than Premier league players etc.

That said, if certain players want to quit then I would GLADLY support a team of EL XI because at least we would have a better coach and people who want to play for their country. I am sick of this nonsense with Delaney and Staunton.

What a joke.
    There is no such thing as a miracle cure, a free lunch or a humble opinion.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The players, Staunton and Delaney can all go and **** themselves. Nobody needs their self-serving arrogance.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    So we should be forced to sit and watch that underperforming drivel and be happy to pay good money for it because some players who don't give a sh*te anyway may leave if we get the much needed change we've been asking for? Good riddance Robbie Keane. Close the door on your way out. You won't be missed.

The worst Irish captain ever.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    It is becoming more apparent that our problems for the last few years are solely the players fault. They wouldn't play for Kerr and wanted him out, now they want Stan to stay...but still won't play. They can go fúck themselves. The media reaction is the way it is because they are the worst Irish football team in our history. Fans are paying good money to see these wánkers put on an Irish jersey. They should be ashamed.
    "I just came in to buy a stamp"-Padraig Pearse, April 24th 1916

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    a bigger concern is since when do we have "Top Players"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    what they deem to be sensationalist coverage of the Irish team

sensationalist my bóllocks. we got hammered by CYPRUS and almost drew with SAN MARINO.

if the comments are true:
    fúck off robbie keane you overpaid twát. you are middle of the road. you play for spurs. you have never delievered on your early promise and you masqerade as a world class player, ditto duff (except you play for newcastle).**

they are happy with the cozy cartel that comes with your mate being 'da gaffer' - probably afraid of a new man coming in and telling them some home truths. i.e you are underperforming and have done so since 2002.

**actually this comment is true whether they made the comments or not!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

disgraceful

1. Delaney must go. its been pretty much downhill since his appointment. In this terrible time for Irish soccer, instead of insisting that we need positive change and trying to improve the situation, Delaney instead tries to protect himself by saying that it wasnt really his decision that bobby robson and steve staunton were chosen!! coward

2. Stan, in the post match interview never once admitted that his side were absolutely sh**e. Wake up stan and tell us the truth, your not a politician!

3. Who are the FAI trying to fool, Bobby Robson can't contribute much at this stage.

4!! It's time, an irish manager was brave enough to get rid of our older players. Kilbane has always been a donkey yet he is never left out of an irish side. Ian Harte is useless, besides his freekicks and they were even shockin against san marino.
    pain is only temporary, glory is forever.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Stan is also afraid to maybe change duff for McGeady, and one of the youngsters for keane. Neither of these players have delivered enough since the world cup. Ireland have not had a good competitive game since Spain in the world cup in my opinion. Your the manager for a reason stan, to change things the right way around when upside down.

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    good riddance keane and Duff, over paid tossers, bring in Stokes and Hunt and Geary and Mccarthy

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    It's time, an irish manager was brave enough to get rid of our older players. Kilbane has always been a donkey yet he is never left out of an irish side. Ian Harte is useless, besides his freekicks and they were even shockin against san marino.

I agree with your estimation of Harte but to be fair, as bad as Kilbane is, he is one of the only "senior pros" who is willing to run himself into to the ground for his country.

It was even obvious when he talked after the game about us being sh1te. I wouldnt be too quick to dump him, the man at least still cares for the team.
    Last edited by gustavo; 12/02/2007 at 10:01 AM. Reason: fixing quotes.....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    true, magicman. He will give 100% and he does have pride in the jersey, I just question his skill levels and talent.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Top players are ya having a laugh. My fat ass would have made a better contribution last wednesday. Useless cnuts have some cheek. Get rid of the dumb boll1x and the crowd of wasters along with him!!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast