Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: steven o donnell [v flannery]

Formerly: wild rover
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

steven o donnell [v flannery]

i had high hopes for him saturday to come on and grab us 3 points but he didnt get til 83rd min and had about 2 touches of the ball!needs a few u21 games to regain fitness and hopefully he can get back to his brilliant self.

last season we never really saw mc tiernan-o donnell together up top and i really think they can be the best combination in this division....flannery isnt good enough in my opinion....i think we can do better....if he wants a system with a big man there are a lot better of those type around......im sure he can get one come july......

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Flannery tries but he just isnt a threat, O'Donnell is a far better option, plus he'll score his fare share of goals.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

O Donnell Is Cat

Steve O Donnells First Touch Is Very Bad You Wont Get Away With It In That League.sean Is Slow But A Lest He Can Hold The Ball Up And Bring People In To The Game.and O Donnell Never Shuts His Mouth For Five Min,s

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by red metal
    Steve O Donnells First Touch Is Very Bad You Wont Get Away With It In That League.sean Is Slow But A Lest He Can Hold The Ball Up And Bring People In To The Game.and O Donnell Never Shuts His Mouth For Five Min,s
    Totally disagree! O'Donnell is much better than Flannery. As I've said before, Flannery is tall but can not win a header to save his life, he is slow and falls over too easily. O'Donnell has pace, he is physically strong and he has proven he can score goals for us. It's time Flannery was dropped,(he's had plenty of time to prove himself), and Stevie took his place, a far better option.
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Flannery

RED METAL are u a complete di*khaed.You honestly think that no speed,no first touch,unfit,strech my hamstring every 5 minutes Flannery is better than our top scorer in the league last season.Even Don O'Riordon knew that he was useless....
    Are you sure your a Rovers fan?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    totally agree with red til dead.whoever said flannery doesn't win a ball in the air i don't know what games you were watching coz i saw him win plenty of headers!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Sean Flannery is a target man, when McTiernan is back to his best very soon now then both players will compliment each other. With Steve O' Donnell tucking in behind them in midfield we'll be fireing on all cylinders. I reckon in a couple of weeks we'll have it sussed, then it's look out first division.
    'Don't dream - to dream is to be disappointed'

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    ya hav to agree with petmuller on that one,think them 3 player on form and fit could give sum a premier teams a good game,hopefully we will see this against harps

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    O'Donnell scored most of his goals from set pieces last year though didn't he? I just wonder would he work up front or is he one of those players that's better at arriving late in the box from midfield.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Buchanon
    O'Donnell scored most of his goals from set pieces last year though didn't he? I just wonder would he work up front or is he one of those players that's better at arriving late in the box from midfield.
    no not all his goals were results of set pieces. a mixed bag really. good finishing and heading. i have to say he's better coming into the box late. i wouldnt play him up front. he did score his goals from midfield last year so that's his spot. i'd play just in front of midfield with this team (picks itself really)

O'Hara
    O'Donnell McNamara Burns Low

Cretaro O'Grady Faz

O'Donnell

McTiernan Flannery

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    I suppose its fair to say he scored most of his goals last season, as a result of a set piece. He got a good few headers and tap in's from free kicks. Heffernan picked him out quite a bit. Kapono could do the same, if Steve was playing. Yes, he also scored from distance a few crackers. I remember him scoring a beaut from distance against kilkenny as part of his hat trick. The other two were headers from free kicks.
    I have scattered my dreams underneath your feet, tread carefully, cos it's my dreams you walk on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Line Up

I agree with Gary's starting 11 for the time being.
    The Defence have been doing well and when you add ryan to that i think we will concide even less.
    Midfield is spot on with O'Grady,Raf and Faz,with Steven O'Donnell in front.
    No doubt about McTeirnan up front,But once again Flanney is the weak link there.A proven goalscorer in the transfer window is the only way to go.
    Maybe Birmingham will give us Heskey for a few weeks................

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stars
    I agree with Gary's starting 11 for the time being.
    The Defence have been doing well and when you add ryan to that i think we will concide even less.
    Midfield is spot on with O'Grady,Raf and Faz,with Steven O'Donnell in front.
    No doubt about McTeirnan up front,But once again Flanney is the weak link there.A proven goalscorer in the transfer window is the only way to go.
    Maybe Birmingham will give us Heskey for a few weeks................
    Yeah a proven goalscorer is needed. The manager has identified this and hopefully he will get his targets in the transfer window. As I keep saying, the ability to sign players is dependant on having money available.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    id like to see sean purcell at right back if he can put his injury problems behind him!why is everybody criticising flannery?he's after scoring again tonight and i think he's doing a good job.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts

Thumbs down Sean Flannery

Quote Originally Posted by roversforever
    why is everybody criticising flannery?
    Have you been to any games this season? He is terrible. Fair enough he scored tonight but he's still useless and I doubt he had to do much to score tonight.
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    We have a team this year that so far has achieve more than any team in the last few years.Maybe its time for us to stop critising the team get behind them,every player has his faults if you look hard enough.I feel that they are a commit group of lads out there ,Ya they put in a few poor performances but what team doesn't.Tonight we sit joint top of the league and still we critise the players.We have a good squad that is what it is "A Squad",every player will get his chance I'm sure and it is up to them to take it.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiba
    We have a team this year that so far has achieve more than any team in the last few years.Maybe its time for us to stop critising the team get behind them,every player has his faults if you look hard enough.I feel that they are a commit group of lads out there ,Ya they put in a few poor performances but what team doesn't.Tonight we sit joint top of the league and still we critise the players.We have a good squad that is what it is "A Squad",every player will get his chance I'm sure and it is up to them to take it.
    I agree. Alot of players just jump on the bandwagon when a player is criticised. The Flannery critisism is not really warranted. If focus on Flannery for a game you will see what he does. Last night he worked his socks off, and was being kicked all night by Dundalks centre half. He scored a good header from a wonderful Faz cross.

We've 21 points after 12 games having only lost once. Thats excellent as we havent been playing that well at times. Let's get behind all our players. They each have their good points and weak points but let's not just single out one player and continually berate him. If the same logic was applied to the squad, then we'd be criticising every player.

Joint top now. Pressure on Cobhs next game

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    flannerys a good workhorse and works well with mct so thats reason enough to have him there cos the other options with mct dont work as well and we need a poacher like paul in there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

sligoman

for your information ive been to every game this season.you obviously haven't coz you'll see that nobody agrees with you.flannery is not the quickest or the most technically gifted but he works damn hard and wins plenty in the air.so give him a break!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by red til dead
    this problem isn't helped by ppl like u sligoman
    People like me?

I think we're going to have to agree to disagree here lads but personally I'd love to see Flannery dropped and even let go! Rovers should never of re-signed him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast