Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2014 qualifying schedule change

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,243 Posts

2014 qualifying schedule change

I wonder is this why the fixtures meeting hasn't happened yet? Should impact on the LoI a bit less than at present at least.

Also, it seems our drawing Germany is in vain now as TV rights are being collectivised.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,700 Posts
    Collective TV rights sale was supposed to be a big boon to the FAI, but "Murphy's Law" might throw a spanner in the works. Not sure what the impact on UEFA might be.

For European football's governing body, in expansionist mood and facing growing challenges, there could be wide-ranging ramifications. Its model relies on maximising revenues from every local market, so a pan-European deal is not an option. Historically Uefa's president, Michel Platini, has stayed close to European policy makers so the suspicion must be that it will find a way through this. It is helped by the fact that most of its deals contain a free-to-air element, which makes the danger from fans viewing across borders less pressing. But there could be bigger consequences for its plans to centralise sales of European international qualifiers from 2014. For smaller rights holders – such as the FA and the Football League – maximising overseas revenues could become more problematic.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2...evision-rights

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    How about this from the
    Daily Mail

'International qualifiers will be played across six days between Thursdays and Tuesdays from 2014 to maximise TV coverage and broadcast income, UEFA have announced.
    The move will see national teams having just a two-day break between matches in World Cup and European Championship double-headers, in what is being dubbed 'The Week of Football'

Afaics, this applies to double headers and teams will have at least 3 full days in between match days. And this is already in practice for the 2012 qualifiers, games are currently being played Friday, Saturday and Tuesday

The move coincides with UEFA selling TV rights collectively across Europe and providing national associations with guaranteed income.
    Infantino said there would be no clash with the clubs - and that there would in fact be fewer international breaks overall.
    He added: 'This is an important step to promote national team football and the whole of football will benefit.
    'It is within the framework of the international football calendar, so no additional dates will be required whatsoever.
    'If you do not have national teams playing on Saturdays and Sundays then it’s a pity. If England are playing on a Friday then fans can watch Spain, France or Germany at the weekends.

That sounds to me that UEFA intend to sell packages of top games from other groups.

from the Guardian article
    "But there could be bigger consequences for its plans to centralise sales of European international qualifiers from 2014."
    What type of consequences?
    The WC qualifiers would primarily be sold to national FTA broadcasters e.g. rte bbc itv, the broadcasters pay according to the viewing figures.
    Even if our game was being broadcast simultaneousnly on SKY, RTE would still clock >700,000 viewers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir
    'If you do not have national teams playing on Saturdays and Sundays then it’s a pity. If England are playing on a Friday then fans can watch Spain, France or Germany at the weekends.
    So UEFA have given up on Friday night games after less than one campaign. They see the obvious problems with it. Meanwhile, the LOI is still stuck with it after 25.
    NL 1st Division Champions 2006
    NL Premier Division Champions 2010
    NL Premier Division Champions 2011

Keep Tallaght Tidy, Throw your rubbish in the Jodi

Ten Years Not Out

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    UEFA are not saying they are giving up on Friday games.
    But I can't work out exactly what they are going to do. The journalist's interpretation is that teams will be expected to play double headers. playing on a Friday and on a Sunday or play on a Saturday and a Monday.
    That interpretation doesn't fit completely with what UEFA are vaguely saying.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    UEFA is made up of whores who will do anything for money (see: October/November of 2009) whatever they come up with will likely not be reasonable.
    My Guarantee
    Am looking for old Irish matches on VHS, PM me if you have some and I'll upload them here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir
    UEFA are not saying they are giving up on Friday games.
    But I can't work out exactly what they are going to do. The journalist's interpretation is that teams will be expected to play double headers. playing on a Friday and on a Sunday or play on a Saturday and a Monday.
    That interpretation doesn't fit completely with what UEFA are vaguely saying.
    That interpretation is wrong. Games will be 72 hours apart and ko at the same time.

It's all well and good for 6-team groups, when everyone can play on the same night, and if teams have two home or away games in the same week. What doesn't seem to be factored in, is e.g. Ireland at home to Austria on a Friday, and away to Kazachstan on a Monday afternoon/night. How are we supposed to prepare adequately for the second fixture? The various time differences across Europe, don't seem to be accounted for either.

What I want to see got rid of, are play-offs, and would prefer group games to end in November, as they were until the mid-90's. It's unfair that away goals, penalties, or handballs in one stand alone game can determine a two-year series.

Ten Years Not Out

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,243 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    The journalist's interpretation is that teams will be expected to play double headers. playing on a Friday and on a Sunday or play on a Saturday and a Monday.
    There's six days for games - Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday and Tuesday. So I imagine you'd have, say -

Thurs - Gp A, B, C
    Fri - Gp D, E, F
    Sat - Gp G, H, I
    Sun - Gp A, B, C
    Mon - Gp D, E, F
    Tue - Gp G, H, I

So no Fri/Sun or Sat/Mon combinations. The gaps are still a bit shorter than the old Sat/Wed ones though. It does seem like a bit of a fob to the clubs again. The pubs will be delighted though.

Shouldn't be too much trouble for the teams with charter flights and what have you. But if they arrange the fixtures so that we have the Faroes away on Thursday and Kazakhstan away on Sunday, there'll be killings!

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    I'm sure the fixture meetings will continue to ensure that the above scenario won't happen.

Also there's no indication that we would have to utilise both matchdays in each window.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,243 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    I'm sure the fixture meetings will continue to ensure that the above scenario won't happen.
    Can I remind you that the FAI are arranging our fixtures?

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Can I remind you that the FAI are arranging our fixtures?
    Normally I would share your pessimism but they are good at this one thing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu
    So I imagine you'd have, say -

Thurs - Gp A, B, C
    Fri - Gp D, E, F
    Sat - Gp G, H, I
    Sun - Gp A, B, C
    Mon - Gp D, E, F
    Tue - Gp G, H, I
    It'll be something like that, but they'll shuffle the days around, like in the CL. One group will have Thurs-Sun one week, then Fri-Mon the next week etc.

It may not apply to the next qualifying campaign. The idea still needs FIFA approval, plus one Group's fixtures has already been arranged on the existing calendar.

Ten Years Not Out

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    Back to original post about the schedule for the qualifier. Although the draw was done early this time, the schedule negotiations may just follow past practice.

You'd think that UEFA would be aiming to try and arrange some overall schedule that would be more sellable for tv purposes, rather than wait for the schedules that would result from the traditional methods of negotiations. Proactive interfering isn't beyond them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    The new fixtures plan will come into place for the 2016 qualifiers. It won't have any affect on the next qualifying campaign. I agree with the move. It's not good for the game to have weekends free. Having games over 6 days will maximise exposure. It's great for supporters as well. There'll be more of a chance to keep an eye on other groups as well as our own. Previously internationals would be on a Wednesday and then players would be back playing with their clubs on the Saturday. I don't think playing Thursday & Sunday, Friday & Monday and Saturday & Tuesday will be much of a problem. Clubs involved in Europe have to play games within that timescale.
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    I hate the Friday games. Hopefully we will get some Saturday action again. UEFA needs to consider all of us fools who don't live in Europe. Hard to leave work every Friday when it is game time.
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Yeah, like they are even remotely bothered about people in Europe, let alone elsewhere...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    You should come here and protest Ardee! Anything goes.
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by legendz
    The new fixtures plan will come into place for the 2016 qualifiers. It won't have any affect on the next qualifying campaign. I agree with the move. It's not good for the game to have weekends free. Having games over 6 days will maximise exposure. It's great for supporters as well. There'll be more of a chance to keep an eye on other groups as well as our own. Previously internationals would be on a Wednesday and then players would be back playing with their clubs on the Saturday. I don't think playing Thursday & Sunday, Friday & Monday and Saturday & Tuesday will be much of a problem. Clubs involved in Europe have to play games within that timescale.
    You ask the average LOI punter, and he'll tell you that Friday is not a standard rough tiring weekday, but "part of the weekend".

Can't con UEFA though. They have it in place for one campaign, and have come to the natural conclusion that nobody wants to play football on a Friday night. They're now going to revise the calendar, so that there are games at the weekends for everybody, fans, players, and officials alike.

Ten Years Not Out

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    UEFA are trying to maximise tv revenue and exposure. It also gives fans the opportunity to watch other games on tv.

It makes perfect sense to me and I think it is a good development. However I'd rather have an extra day between games.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mypost View Post
    You ask the average LOI punter, and he'll tell you that Friday is not a standard rough tiring weekday, but "part of the weekend".

Can't con UEFA though. They have it in place for one campaign, and have come to the natural conclusion that nobody wants to play football on a Friday night. They're now going to revise the calendar, so that there are games at the weekends for everybody, fans, players, and officials alike.
    The clubs select their match night, not the FAI (bar the final match day where all games must kick off at the same time).
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast