Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 11 of 37 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Macedonia V Republic of Ireland - Saturday, 4th June 2011 - Euro 2012 Qualifier

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,700 Posts
    I'm not saying I'd start with Cox myself, but I always think it's good to have a positive, game-changing substitution option from the bench. Very often having to make a change weakens our team, so it'll be good to have a change up our sleeves that could strengthen the team. Let Robbie & Cox run the legs of their CBs and the let Long exploit that later.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,700 Posts
    German referee for Saturday, Florian Meyer. Anybody know anything about him?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    According to Wikipedia he was the fourth official for Milan vs Liverpool's 2007 CL final. This article is similarly stark though and has a good final line.
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    84 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    Outside of the top four or five clubs in England, the overall standard dips quite significantly and, I would argue, is very much on a par with the general standard around Europe. Even those players we have at the bigger clubs in England, you couldn't even describe them as regulars really.

I have to disagree. The likes of Middlesborough and Fulham of recent years have gone very far in Europe, and even if our players are not playing in the top half of the EPL, just to be playing against the calibre of player that plays in that league, week in week out, either on the pitch or training ground is a massive benefit for our players.

I think when you quoted the Scottish league as 15th in Europe, that gave me perspective. The SPL is a league I don't rate at all and genuinely think neither of the OF clubs would survive in the EPL. As for the rest of the clubs, well I think Rovers and Sligo could hold their own in that league against the rest of their teams. So if most of the leagues the Macedonia players are playing in are ranked below the Scottish league then I am not unduly worried.

Of course they have one star player in Pandev, but hopefully our (makeshift) back for will be on top of their game.

I think the biggest threat to the Ireland is ourselves. If we go one up early on, do we have the nerve to consolidate our lead and kill the game off or will we allow the opposition to get back into the game due to a lack of mental strength?

As an aside, I never understand Trap going public with his team a few days before the kick off. I see no reason why you would show the opposition you cards so early. May be a minor point, but why help make the Macedonians task in preparing for the game that bit easier?

We won't make things easy for ourselves on Saturday and it will be a nail biter right to the finish, but in truth thats probably why I love Ireland games so much!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    In terms of size alone, I think Cox will offer a greater degree of penetration despite the fact that Long is, well, Long and we all know what he can do.

Shane did look a bit knackered on Monday and if we do need a goal late on I'd much prefer to be springing him from the bench rather than Cox. It's a gamble from Trap but I think the time Keane and Cox have spent together recently will bear fruit on Saturday night.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    I actually think Keane and Cox linked up much better with each other than I ever saw Long and Keane link up. Where I think Long and Doyle know each other better. I think Cox will do well and Long coming off the bench will kill them off completely with his pace and strength. Hopefully Hunt will also be up for this one and run at them and throw them into complete disarray with his out and out mentalness
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    84 Posts
    Just on the Long/Cox debate, I'm just baffled as to Cox being a starter. Trap is clearly not paying any attention to the form book here at all.

Cox - 19 Premier League games this season - 1 goal
    Long - 45 Championship games this season - 23 goals

Cox may have played well against the NI reserves but really is that enough to merit ripping up the form book?

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by French Toasht View Post
    Cox may have played well against the NI reserves but really is that enough to merit ripping up the form book?
    For Trap? Yes.
    My Guarantee
    Am looking for old Irish matches on VHS, PM me if you have some and I'll upload them here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    I think McGeady could be the match winner for Ireland in this one. We really need him to perform.
    Always look on the bright side of life

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    I actually think Keane and Cox linked up much better with each other than I ever saw Long and Keane link up. Where I think Long and Doyle know each other better. I think Cox will do well and Long coming off the bench will kill them off completely with his pace and strength. Hopefully Hunt will also be up for this one and run at them and throw them into complete disarray with his out and out mentalness
    Completely agree with you on all fronts here.

And your last line gave me my first guffaw of the day.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yard of Pace View Post
    In terms of size alone, I think Cox will offer a greater degree of penetration despite the fact that Long is, well, Long and we all know what he can do.

Shane did look a bit knackered on Monday and if we do need a goal late on I'd much prefer to be springing him from the bench rather than Cox. It's a gamble from Trap but I think the time Keane and Cox have spent together recently will bear fruit on Saturday night.
    He was still buzzing aroung closing down defenders and the keeper on the 90 min mark, no way you can say he looked knackered. The boy is flying at the moment and we wud get 90 mins of high tempo football from him
    Last edited by tommy_c12000; 02/06/2011 at 3:32 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by French Toasht View Post
    Just on the Long/Cox debate, I'm just baffled as to Cox being a starter. Trap is clearly not paying any attention to the form book here at all.

Cox - 19 Premier League games this season - 1 goal
    Long - 45 Championship games this season - 23 goals

At least one member on the site has helped me to reassure myself that Im still Compos Mentis

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    Linked up better together against a 3rd choice NI team and looked reasonably competent against a weak Scotland defence. That vindicates putting him in for his 1st competitive start in Skopje alright. The boy has only ever scored one prem goal and has the grand total of 8 premiership starts. Absolute rubbish. You cannot justify starting a bit part West Brom player (and that is what he is with 8 starts this season) in front of Long.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    Those sleeping pills are taking their time to kick in, Tommy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Hard to disagree. We should start out best options, and Long's form and record, domestically and internationally, is far superior to Cox. Just a few weeks ago he was being touted to replace Keane in our starting team. I don't necessarily think it's a key decision, if Keane is fit, but I'd rather we hit them with everything we have early on. It'll be interesting to see if Cox's selection really does herald a different approach.
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Those sleeping pills are taking their time to kick in, Tommy.
    Just taken another 2 so im good to go for another 15 mins id say but screen is looking blurrier by the sec!

(took 6 before they worked last nite, must be all the adrenaline pumping for sat nite)
    Last edited by tommy_c12000; 02/06/2011 at 3:26 PM.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    The issue shouldn't be the attack, but the usual.

As in Feck all creativity in midfield & as dodgy (& poor) a full-back combination as I can remember.
    Both are accidents waiting to happen.....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,321 Posts
    Ward hasn't played with McGeady (assuming he's on the left from the reports) so starting those two as a left sided pair in a qualifier is a lot more risky than Kilbane + McGeady IMO
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy View Post
    The issue shouldn't be the attack, but the usual.

As in Feck all creativity in midfield & as dodgy (& poor) a full-back combination as I can remember.
    Both are accidents waiting to happen.....
    I'm convinced Kilbane banged your missus.
    My Guarantee
    Am looking for old Irish matches on VHS, PM me if you have some and I'll upload them here

25. Thanks From:

Page 11 of 37 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast