Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Republic of Ireland V Northern Ireland - Tuesday, 24th May 2011 - Carling Nations Cup

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    What surprised me most about this game? How poor NI's enthusiasm for the game was. I kinda expected NI, as the scrappy underdogs, to bust a gut to get a result, to prove a point against their neighbours & rivals, while we'd just coast on autopilot. In fact, I had some fear there might have been an upset. What I saw though was the complete opposite: NI just didn't seem to care, whereas our fringe players pushed themselves to the last minute. Certainly encouraging signs for the future, no question. Cox in particular impressed me, he's one to watch in a position we sorely need options in. Stokes really shot himself in the foot bigtime because there could be a legitimate alternative to him around the corner.

Mind you, with Irish League players & players from the Lower English leagues (though not that low down, looking at the team-sheet), perhaps it's fairer to suggest the NI lads were just plain shattered after a long season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    Would the 6 points be worth all that player eligibility discussion?
    Yes. Especially if it winds up Jim Magilton and Nigel more. And has anyone asked Jackie Fullerton his thoughts?

Gonna post the Magilton comments over in the Eligibility Thread. Well the official Eligibility Thread, not the Shane Ferguson, Marc Wilson one or the now 2 Celtic Cup ones... :P
    Last edited by BonnieShels; 25/05/2011 at 12:19 AM.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    Yes. Especially if it winds up Jim Magilton and Nigel more. And has anyone asked Jackie Fullerton his thoughts?
    At least Fullerton is a real orange man.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by amaccann View Post
    What surprised me most about this game? How poor NI's enthusiasm for the game was. I kinda expected NI, as the scrappy underdogs, to bust a gut to get a result, to prove a point against their neighbours & rivals, while we'd just coast on autopilot. In fact, I had some fear there might have been an upset. What I saw though was the complete opposite: NI just didn't seem to care, whereas our fringe players pushed themselves to the last minute.
    Was thinking that earlier myself. Said it to a mate of mine that I think that we would hammer them and he pointed out that he reckoned that the north had a point to prove etc. and then I kinda agreed with him then. After the first 10 minutes though it was clear though that that would be their ability all night and that we would run riot once we got the first goal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by boovidge View Post
    Apparently the yellow provincial Ulster flag was flying from Aviva instead of the NI flag. Bit cheeky.
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    That would be odd considering they carried the Ulster Banner out onto the pitch for the anthems.

They replaced it.

When I heard it was up I thought that maybe it just always flies there cause the fact the IRFU owns the place (and I believe that all 4 provincial flags fly for rugby games?), but apparently not. Either way it had to be changed else the FAI would land themselves in bother.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels
    It's not that odd really. The FAI or IRFU wouldn't likely have too many Banners hanging around Lansdowne. Maybe they asked the Ulster Branch for a lend of the flag from Ravenhill for the pitch?

Watching the highlights on BBC and really, the north were awful. Magilton though saying we were flattered by the scoreline.

As regarding the eligibility issue. Trap handled the question well though indicating that the players eligible for both associations approach the FAI first.
    There is no issue. The rules are the rules, we don't make them, but we make maximum use of them. The players in question qualify to play for Ireland. That's the beginning, middle, and end of the discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible
    Horribly one-sided mismatch this evening. Very comprehensively-controlled second-half. What were the final possession statistics? Did Forde even touch the ball with his hands? McShane looked like the ginger Pelé at one point towards the end. Felt bad for Robbie to be substituted as I reckon, had he stayed on, he might have bagged another few and maybe even broken the 60 mark.
    Not horrible at all. Tonight was revenge for '99. Decent atmosphere from those that showed up, and we played good football too. Barring a Scottish hammering of Wales later, a point on Sunday will be enough for our first trophy at senior level for 25 years.

Their fans booed McAleese showing up, while our fans held a sit-down protest when the song masquerading as their "anthem" was played. But the real downer of the night was the lack of crowd. If we were playing England, the place would be full, at whatever price on whatever night.
    Last edited by mypost; 25/05/2011 at 12:38 AM.
    NL 1st Division Champions 2006
    NL Premier Division Champions 2010
    NL Premier Division Champions 2011

Keep Tallaght Tidy, Throw your rubbish in the Jodi

Ten Years Not Out

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mypost View Post
    There is no issue. The rules are the rules, we don't make them, but we make maximum use of them. The players in question qualify to play for Ireland. That's the beginning, middle, and end of the discussion.
    What are you talking about? There is clearly an issue. Stephen Watson and the BBC haven't a notion of what the rules are along with most fans of OWC and a lot of ours.
    We are particularly informed here as we don't assume what the rules are and we read them and understand them. We read the CAS judgements and then we listen to what Danny says if that all fails.

Also to say "End of discussion" at the end of a post in which you mentioned eligibility shows your ignorance of the rules of the eligibilty discussions on Foot.ie.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Darren Gibson is eligible to play for us. And he does. We also find eligible players from England and Scotland, and use the rules as they currently are. If NI or another country want someone to blame for that, it's FIFA they should look to, not the FAI.

Ten Years Not Out

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Keane's goals are already there, including tonight's goals: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robbie_...national_goals
    You need to click on the "[show]" link to expand the table
    I looked at Northern Ireland top goal scorers page to and that was blank too, however when I raised the issue with the IFA they told me that was correct!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,643 Posts
    Delighted for Wardy. He should have had his cap sooner. I sponsored him a few seasons ago and got his jersey with his autograph signed and his name printed on the back. Cha-ching...

Absolutely over the moon for him.

Anyone know where i could catch the game? Was in meetings all day...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post

Anyone know where i could catch the game? Was in meetings all day...
    Second that - and hopefully before i leave the office cos the internet in the hotel is horrific!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    My Guarantee
    Am looking for old Irish matches on VHS, PM me if you have some and I'll upload them here

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts
    Legend as always!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    I felt sorry for the North. If I was the ref I'd have given the kid a yellow card.

Cox looks like a useful option and linked up well with Keano, Treacy impressed again and it's always nice to score 5 goals. Hopefully Scotland give us a game.
    "If God had meant football to be played in the air, he'd have put grass in the sky." Brian Clough.

You'll NEVER beat the Irish.......you'll just draw with us instead!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    McShane's showboating at the end said it all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    I felt sorry for the North. If I was the ref I'd have given a yellow card.

Hopefully Scotland give us a game.
    No need to feel sorry for him. Last man, foul, penalty, goodbye.

Would prefer another 5-0 win against Scotland, than them giving us a game. We won't win 5-0, but we can win a trophy with whatever result we need. That'll compensate nicely.

Ten Years Not Out

Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    I think the last time the Reublic won 5-0 was against San Marino at Lansdowne Road.

As it happens, I was at that game against San Marino, as a guest of one of the foot.ie regular posters.

Last night was more one sided than that match.

I predicted a mismatch last night - that's exactly what it was.

Bit harsh of the ref to send the kid off for the pen - there wasn't a foul in anger during the match. No bookings, I think?
    The Englishmen came over in the year 2005
    But little did they know that we'd planned a wee surprise
    Sir David scored the winner, and Windsor Park went wild
    And this is what we sang...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Not Brazil View Post
    Bit harsh of the ref to send the kid off for the pen - there wasn't a foul in anger during the match. No bookings, I think?
    I think given our total dominance of the game the sending off was perhaps unnecessary. But Robbie was through on goal and ready to shoot when the kid jumped into his back. I think it was a penalty and a sending off but in the circumstances somewhat unnecessary given how the game was panning out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    67 Posts
    Interesting words from McGinn about 1.10 into video (sorry if posted already)

[/QUOTE]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by awec View Post
    They replaced it.

When I heard it was up I thought that maybe it just always flies there cause the fact the IRFU owns the place (and I believe that all 4 provincial flags fly for rugby games?), but apparently not. Either way it had to be changed else the FAI would land themselves in bother.
    Dont think it would be that big an issue, do their supporters not us the union jack as their flag?

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast