Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Squad to face Norn Iron, Scotland and Macedonia

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts

Squad to face Norn Iron, Scotland and Macedonia

Trap names provisional 33-man squad

Stephen Ward included, Folan and McShane recalled but no room Hoolahan or Harte.

St.Ledger, Doyle, Duff, O'Dea and Andrews all included provisionally subject to proving fitness. However Ciarán Ó Raghallaigh tweeted from the press conference that it's not looking good for Duff or Doyle, and had some Trap quotes on Given and Hoolahan:

"Can't tweet any more from press conf as daily restrictions - safe to say Duff, Doyle injury news not positive. More in tomorrow's papers."

"Big News from Trap: We expect it's too difficult for Kevin Doyle to make Macedonia. We need an update, 'Maybe' but we think 'no."

"Good news from Trap: "Shay GIven told us he will be ok, I am sure he will be here."

"Hoolahan - at this moment, no. We look at the team, the players, at the moment we have many players certain to be in team. We can't change."
    Last edited by SwanVsDalton; 04/05/2011 at 3:23 PM.
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Disappointing news on Doyle, although he has returned to light training at Wolves and McCarthy is still confident he'll have a role to play in their final two games of the season, so I guess we'll have to wait and see: http://www.skysports.com/story/0,195...911958,00.html

Doyle hasn't featured since March due to a knee injury while fellow frontman Ebanks-Blake has missed the last two games with a hamstring problem.

And although the strike pair have returned to light training, McCarthy does not expect them to be back in contention for another week and the last two games of the season against Sunderland and Blackburn.

"Doyle was out training today and we're still hopeful he will be right for the last two games," he told the Express & Star.
    Otherwise, it'll be good to get a look at Ward if Trap decides to give him some game time. A realistic contender for that left-back slot, maybe?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,338 Posts
    Hoolahan, and possibly Randolph, are the two missing faces there, but neither would start, so I'm happy enough with that squad
    With Kilbane, St Ledger and Treacy effectively in League One, that's 3 players at a lower level than I would like to see us selecting from
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    I'd say Ward will get capped somewhere or other. His listing on the FAI site has him in with the wingers/forwards, though not sure if that's any indication of what management are thinkin. Also think Elokobi's been favoured over him at Wolves in the last month or two, so wouldn't be surprised if he played further forward.

If Utd finish the job tonight presumably Gibson and O'Shea won't feature in the Carling Cup games?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Hoolahan, and possibly Randolph, are the two missing faces there, but neither would start, so I'm happy enough with that squad
    With Kilbane, St Ledger and Treacy effectively in League One, that's 3 players at a lower level than I would like to see us selecting from
    You don't hang about do you Tets?! I presume Sledge will move and hope Treacy will follow him, though he could find himself out of the squad anyway if Hoolahan continues in the same vein.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,338 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SwanVsDalton View Post
    You don't hang about do you Tets?! I presume Sledge will move and hope Treacy will follow him, though he could find himself out of the squad anyway if Hoolahan continues in the same vein.
    I said "effectively", so as good as playing in League One.
    I think Treacy will have a better chance than St Ledger of moving. He's been a lot higher profile with some stunning strikes and free kicks, St Ledger's been part of the joint second worst (with Doncaster) defence in the Championship
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    I said "effectively", so as good as playing in League One.
    I think Treacy will have a better chance than St Ledger of moving. He's been a lot higher profile with some stunning strikes and free kicks, St Ledger's been part of the joint second worst (with Doncaster) defence in the Championship
    I know - I was jesting.

Perhaps but Sledge's international credentials should stand to him despite diminishing league returns. Think most clubs are aware he's more than able at Championship level, and even higher, when on form.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SwanVsDalton View Post
    I'd say Ward will get capped somewhere or other. His listing on the FAI site has him in with the wingers/forwards, though not sure if that's any indication of what management are thinkin. Also think Elokobi's been favoured over him at Wolves in the last month or two, so wouldn't be surprised if he played further forward.

If Utd finish the job tonight presumably Gibson and O'Shea won't feature in the Carling Cup games?
    Our Northern friends will be devastated

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Any idea when NI announce their squad, or have they already done so?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,713 Posts
    At least Hunt is back in the picture if Duff is out.

Despite Doyle's quality I think there's enough quality in the forward line to compensate for his loss.

Glad to see Ward getting the call.

Hoolahan would have been an imaginative call up and a just reward, but I agree when Trap says that he's probably not what we're looking for. McCarthy can play the advanced midfield role if we use it, and we're well enough covered both centrally and out wide.

There'll be more dropping out so Hoolahan may get his chance yet.

The forward line excites me but the rest is what it is - decent but with more potential to underperform than overperform.
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 04/05/2011 at 4:40 PM. Reason: Antagonistic - in hindsight

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    119 Posts
    Disappointing to see Harte not called up, the two friendlies are a good chance to try out some players.

12. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,915 Posts
    The disappointments about missing players erode what little joy is left in my life.
    But at least somebody notices they are missing.

Spare a thought for Andy Reid,
    'gone and soon forgotten'

Imagine that line on a headstone.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    Dan McDonnell says on his twitter that one new recruit will go into the squad once his paperwork has been completed. Who can it be.
    "We lost because we didn't win"- Ronaldo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Very pleased for Ward, someone I had presumed Trap had no time for whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by TrapAPony View Post
    Dan McDonnell says on his twitter that one new recruit will go into the squad once his paperwork has been completed. Who can it be.
    Luke Chambers is the only player I can think of who has been quoted as saying he's sorting out his paperwork.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Ward certainly deserves a shout if Folan does (hell Connolly does if Folan does as he's scored as many goals as Folan recently and is playing at the same level, but we won't get in to that) especially with his versatility. Hoolahan not being given a chance even in the Nations Cup is pretty preposterous when the likes of Keogh and McShane are in there, but hopefully he can keep his place at Norwich next season and force his way in. He's also nearly 29 I suppose but then Paul Green is 28 and has been a regular.
    My Guarantee
    Am looking for old Irish matches on VHS, PM me if you have some and I'll upload them here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    580 Posts
    Is Paul Green injured?
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    Is Paul Green injured?
    Yes he did his knee a few weeks back, out for nine or so months.
    My Guarantee
    Am looking for old Irish matches on VHS, PM me if you have some and I'll upload them here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    580 Posts
    here Worm
    Here's a video of your pal scoring and speaking Dutch from 10 years ago I came across a while ago
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    here Worm
    Here's a video of your pal scoring and speaking Dutch from 10 years ago I came across a while ago
    Where?
    My Guarantee

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,713 Posts
    Hoolahan not getting picked is not preposterous. Tets put it better than I did above.

It's a disappointment for me, but no more. Harte's ommission disappoints me more.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast