Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast

Thread: Brian Kerr appointed Faroe Islands manager

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Think you're missing the point - they have played in the last fwe tournaments
    Nah think ye have missed the point, cant win anything on stats - t and t game in the world cup stands out, oh yeah I watched it!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    Tets has a birthday today? congratulations,
    A fellow scorpion. no wonder he's deadly.

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by French Toasht View Post
    Lagerbäck's Sweden Career:

Euro 2000 group stages
    WC 2002: Second Round (Won group containing England and Argentina)
    Euro 2004: Quarter Final defeat to Holland
    WC 2006: Second Round defeat to Germany
    Euro 2008: Group stages
    WC 2010: Failed to qualify behind Denmark and Portugal

All this achieved with only 2 star players in that era, Henke Larsson and Zlatan Ibrahimovic.

In the same period as Sweden qualified for 5 tournaments, we qualified for one with a similar standard of players.
    stats -argh
    Brian Kerr so our most succesful winning manager and westlife better than the beatles
    Come back to me with systems, formations, style of play, etc?
    I would argue that Sweden always have decent players and during that period had some pretty solid defenders. Definitely always have them above ireland tbh (didnt they qualify again - who was there manager and dont goggle it please!!!?)

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Swedish players have the mentalitee to which Trap refers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    84 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bennocelt View Post
    stats -argh
    Brian Kerr so our most succesful winning manager and westlife better than the beatles
    Come back to me with systems, formations, style of play, etc?
    I would argue that Sweden always have decent players and during that period had some pretty solid defenders. Definitely always have them above ireland tbh (didnt they qualify again - who was there manager and dont goggle it please!!!?)
    I live in Sweden, don't need to google it. They appointed former Rosenborg manager Erik Hamren as successor to Lagerbäck after the WC 2010 campaign. Of course stats are crucial, they qualify for every tournament AND play attractive football, contrary to your misgivings about their style of play. They hammered Bulgaria by 5 in Euro 2004, knocked Argentina out of WC 2002 and their proud claim to fame is in all their games against England, the English have never beaten them and they have handed out several beatings to the English.

You state their defence is their strongest asset. I'd tend to disagree. Playing with an aged Mellberg at the back and all Celtic fans will tell you Majstorovic is a liability. Also a number of their starters play in reletively mediocre leagues such as the domestic league, (Elfsborg's Anders Svensson, remember him?) Norway and Holland. Like I said already they have one star player, in Zlatan, who they are arguably better off without. I really like Ola Toivonen but is he much better than Long or Doyle, I'm not too sure.

You alluded to one poor game they had against Trinidad and Tobago in 2006, my incling is that, that may be the extent of your knowledge of Swedish football and have made a vast generalisation on that basis. Just a hunch.

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    I live in Sweden, don't need to google it. They appointed former Rosenborg manager Erik Hamren as successor to Lagerbäck after the WC 2010 campaign. Of course stats are crucial, they qualify for every tournament AND play attractive football, contrary to your misgivings about their style of play. They hammered Bulgaria by 5 in Euro 2004, knocked Argentina out of WC 2002 and their proud claim to fame is in all their games against England, the English have never beaten them and they have handed out several beatings to the English.

You state their defence is their strongest asset. I'd tend to disagree. Playing with an aged Mellberg at the back and all Celtic fans will tell you Majstorovic is a liability. Also a number of their starters play in reletively mediocre leagues such as the domestic league, (Elfsborg's Anders Svensson, remember him?) Norway and Holland. Like I said already they have one star player, in Zlatan, who they are arguably better off without. I really like Ola Toivonen but is he much better than Long or Doyle, I'm not too sure.

You alluded to one poor game they had against Trinidad and Tobago in 2006, my incling is that, that may be the extent of your knowledge of Swedish football and have made a vast generalisation on that basis. Just a hunch.
    Some credit with that comeback -(funny u live in Sweden, nice ace) but as the next manager of Iceland that might give you an indication that he wasnt in the running to be the next manager of Man Utd. Iceland, please!
    Too limited as a manager. Beating england in a major tournament isnt really a big deal. For all the championships havent really done much, plus was with Nigeria in their last world cup debacle, agree with Zlaton though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Beating england in a major tournament isnt really a big deal.
    Totally agree, we never, ever, talk about the one time we beat them.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,700 Posts
    I know. One fool I know even goes by an online username referring to that facile victory.

Kerr to NI, as Paul asks? Maybe, or maybe if Michael O'Neill goes to NI, Kerr or Cook will go to Tallaght?

PS: Today's UK Indie has an article on Michael O'Neill and Rovers, saying he's about to go to the NI job. He ruins the article by getting the whole GFA thing wrong though.

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    Totally agree, we never, ever, talk about the one time we beat them.
    1988 and they were and are still sh ite

to keep it back on topic (my fault i know), really hope Kerr holds out for something else as i like him a lot and cant really see myself cheering him on with norn iron - what other jobs are around out there? Thailand, india, qatar?
    Last edited by bennocelt; 27/10/2011 at 3:52 PM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    Bulgaria?

I see the heat is off MON's odds and he has eased out in the betting. Kerr's coming back with a late but cautious surge.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Bulgaria?

I see the heat is off MON's odds and he has eased out in the betting. Kerr's coming back with a late but cautious surge.
    That's cause GSpain and his buddies have dusted the cobwebs off their wallets and backed the bould Brian.
    Last edited by Kingdom; 27/10/2011 at 5:29 PM.

15. Thanks From:

Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    PS: Today's UK Indie has an article on Michael O'Neill and Rovers, saying he's about to go to the NI job. He ruins the article by getting the whole GFA thing wrong though.
    Just a bit wrong.

"Since the Good Friday Agreement, Northern Irish Catholics have been allowed to play for the Republic: Darron Gibson and Marc Wilson have both done so"

Christ on a bike.

PS.

I'd prefer Kerr to Michael O'Neill this time round.
    The Englishmen came over in the year 2005
    But little did they know that we'd planned a wee surprise
    Sir David scored the winner, and Windsor Park went wild
    And this is what we sang...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,321 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    Would you not take the day off from being deadly on your birthday? No doubt there's a twitter feed that needs following or something :-)
    I'd like to, but I have to be extra deadly on today of all days
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Tets has a birthday today? congratulations,
    A fellow scorpion. no wonder he's deadly.
    It is, and thank you. 32 today.
    Nah think ye have missed the point, cant win anything on stats - t and t game in the world cup stands out, oh yeah I watched it!
    Stats don't win games, they win arguments
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    84 Posts
    Trap gave an interview there tonight where he said the reason he left Faroes was nothing to do with money, rather it was to do with the unbelievable toal it was taking on his life. He described how he was spending too long away from Ireland in the Faroes, Denmark and Iceland scouting players and that it took a full days travel to get from Dublin to Torshavn.

He stated this was restricting his media opportunities in Ireland with RTE and Setanta. He also said that he could not see how he could bring the Faroes any further than the massive strides they have taken during his tenure in charge. He said the national federation were unwilling to invest to the neccessary extent required to push on to the next level.

I think this highlights Kerr is no longer interested in a job in the likes of India or Bulgaria as has been suggested. His next job will either be in the England or Ireland. He won't be looking beyond that I'd imagine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Trap gave an interview there tonight where he said the reason he left Faroes was nothing to do with money, rather it was to do with the unbelievable toal it was taking on his life. He described how he was spending too long away from Ireland in the Faroes, Denmark and Iceland scouting players and that it took a full days travel to get from Dublin to Torshavn.

He stated this was restricting his media opportunities in Ireland with RTE and Setanta. He also said that he could not see how he could bring the Faroes any further than the massive strides they have taken during his tenure in charge. He said the national federation were unwilling to invest to the neccessary extent required to push on to the next level.

I think this highlights Kerr is no longer interested in a job in the likes of India or Bulgaria as has been suggested. His next job will either be in the England or Ireland. He won't be looking beyond that I'd imagine.
    India? No....Bulgaria? He'd jump at it I'd reckon. Plenty of carriers fly to Sofia. Scouting of players would be handier too given enough have played in Germany traditionally.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    T&T vs Sweden boring? You sure you watched that match? I know quite a few Trinbagonians who would would certainly beg to differ. Hislop's saves, Cornell Glen's shot hitting the crossbar, and of course it was T&T's first ever World Cup match.
    My Guarantee
    Am looking for old Irish matches on VHS, PM me if you have some and I'll upload them here

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Wishful thinking?

Kerr has clearly said on TV a couple of times in the last couple of months that he was expecting to extend his Faroes contract. This sudden change of heart is... well, it's not surprising, but it certainly is interesting.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theworm2345 View Post
    T&T vs Sweden boring? You sure you watched that match? I know quite a few Trinbagonians who would would certainly beg to differ. Hislop's saves, Cornell Glen's shot hitting the crossbar, and of course it was T&T's first ever World Cup match.
    No you are right, I was just commenting from a Swedish point of view. Was sad to see a team like Sweden resorting to diving and falling around the box trying to win frees against Tnts honest football.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Stats don't win games, they win arguments
    If you say so!

Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast