Thread: Paddy McCarthy

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Paddy McCarthy

A few quotes from the Palace forums:

"McCarthy – 9 What a goal! Probably the best live goal I have ever seen, put in a very solid performance at the back".

"McCarthy: 10 - I HAVE to say that..I mean GOAL OF THE SEASON HELLO?!!!"

"Mcarthy goal, worth the entrance money alone".

"Warnock said that McCarthy broke his nose but soldiered on regardless. Deserves a 10 for that and the goal".

"We also had commitment. Paddy McCarthy broke his nose and he was super to carry on like he did".

"If you weren't there make sure you see McCarthy's goal, superb, had goal written all over it, 40 yards? more like 45".

"McCarthy MoM for that goal and playing on with a broken nose (quiz question for the future ... most number of different numbered shirts worn by a Palace player in a match)".

"McCarthy – 9, MOTM. What a goal. It was one of thoes moments when you could not quite believe what had just happened. He also was solid throughout at the back. Looks a snip at £500,000".

"McCarthy hero - incredible goal and played most of the match with a broken nose. Have to give him MOM".

"McCarthy - 9.5 - MOM".

"Macca 8/9 - what a goal !! and very good in the air".

"What a strike by McCarthy. Think most of us were in shock when it hit the net".

"As for McCarthy's goal, well to be honest i think it took a few seconds for it to sink in what had actually happend before going nuts".

"McCarthy's goal was AMAZING, goal of he season no doubt for me!"

"McCarthy - 8, Great goal, won everything in the air, PLAYED 80MINS WITH A BROKEN NOSE".

"McCarthy - 8".
    Last edited by eagleforlife; 07/12/2008 at 7:42 AM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    288 Posts
    If anyone finds the video of it online, i'd appreciate a link...

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Yet another Irish player playing well, but still Trapp continues to pick the limited McShane and Bruce.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    858 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by the doc View Post
    Yet another Irish player playing well, but still Trapp continues to pick the limited McShane and Bruce.
    McShane is playing well in much more successful team than McCarthy this season.I dont agree with all Traps decisions but theres no need for constant nit picking at him either. Paddy McCarthy is a good pro and he maybe could do a job for us, but he is seriously lacking in pace and that would probably get exploited at international level. He is having a decent career for himself but not every Irish player playing in England is gonna be good enough for International level.... I dont rate Bruce either, but I dont think a choice between Bruce and Paddy McCarthy is gonna be the difference between us qualifying and not
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,322 Posts
    To be fair, McCarthy was called into the B team for the Nottingham Forest game, but had to pull out with an injury
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts

To razors left peg

McShane v McCarthy

You make the point that McCarthy is short on pace. That's fine but McShane is definitely not the answer. Even with Hull winning more than their fair share of games McShane's poor positioning and worse distribution are there for all to see. Can't believe he still commands a place in the Irish set up.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    858 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
    McShane v McCarthy

You make the point that McCarthy is short on pace. That's fine but McShane is definitely not the answer. Even with Hull winning more than their fair share of games McShane's poor positioning and worse distribution are there for all to see. Can't believe he still commands a place in the Irish set up.
    Im far from McShanes biggest fan, but can you honestly make an arguement from seeing Paddy McCarthy enough times that he is better than McShane and should be in the squad ahead of him.Im not tryin to knock McCarthy because like I said it seems like he is a good pro, but at the moment McShane has the edge on him in Traps eyes and realistically McCathy isnt really gonna add much at the moment to an Irish squad
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    If McCarthy wants to be considered, he needs to be playing at a level higher than the Championship. McShane is a donkey but in fairness he plays ninety Premiership minutes for Hull on a weekly basis.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colbert Report View Post
    If McCarthy wants to be considered, he needs to be playing at a level higher than the Championship. McShane is a donkey but in fairness he plays ninety Premiership minutes for Hull on a weekly basis.
    Did a bit of twiddleing wit my football manager game, which ended up with me signing him for galway united.....He's a trojan in the heart of defence but still no sign of him getting a international call-up althou it is League of Ireland and Stan is still manager of Iteland in it haha

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,322 Posts
    McCarthy's goal against Derby online here: http://www.football.virginmedia.com/...ssetId=3271824
    Only available in the UK though

Cracking shot, even to attempt it so early in the game shows massive confidence in his ability to strike the ball. I've seen him take a few free kicks as well, and he does hit the ball hard.

Watched the Palace game last night, was a decent game, all but over after half an hour though. Scannell ran about a bit, but was tightly marked. This gave Kuqi a lot of space to play in, and he opened the scoring. McCarthy was solid in defence, but seemed to be playing a little further forward than the other centre half.

Scannell's getting a run in the side now after losing his spot earlier in the season. He was substituted for Ifill, who scored about 10 minutes after coming on.
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 09/12/2008 at 9:33 AM.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Do you watch him play or are you basing his form on him scoring one goal?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    245 Posts
    From what I know of him he's steady enough, but lacks the pace to be a top defender.

The lack of pace and a bit of a nasty streak means he gets a fair amount of cards as well.

Not sure I'd be championing his cause, but I wouldn't be averse to bringing him in to a friendly or B squad to have a look at him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,322 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post
    The lack of pace and a bit of a nasty streak means he gets a fair amount of cards as well.
    That's a little unfair, he's definitely improved his discipline. Only 3 yellows this season, he only had one this time last season (although he was out of the Charlton side from September until early December) and picked up 6 in total.
    I think it was the previous seasons at Leicester that earned him that reputation (8 bookings and a sending off in 2006/2007, 12 bookings and 2 reds in 2005/2006) but it's clear to see that he has improved that side of his game. For a Neil Warnock player, it's even more impressive.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    245 Posts
    Good to see he's smartened up a bit then. As I say, I'm not ruling him out, and I hope he can become good enough to increase our depth at centre-half, but I'm just saying that we shouldn't be judging potential centre-halfs based on a once in a lifetime wonder-goal.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eagleforlife View Post
    A few quotes from the Palace forums:

"McCarthy – 9 What a goal! Probably the best live goal I have ever seen, put in a very solid performance at the back".

"McCarthy: 10 - I HAVE to say that..I mean GOAL OF THE SEASON HELLO?!!!"

"Mcarthy goal, worth the entrance money alone".

"Warnock said that McCarthy broke his nose but soldiered on regardless. Deserves a 10 for that and the goal".

"We also had commitment. Paddy McCarthy broke his nose and he was super to carry on like he did".

"If you weren't there make sure you see McCarthy's goal, superb, had goal written all over it, 40 yards? more like 45".

"McCarthy MoM for that goal and playing on with a broken nose (quiz question for the future ... most number of different numbered shirts worn by a Palace player in a match)".

"McCarthy – 9, MOTM. What a goal. It was one of thoes moments when you could not quite believe what had just happened. He also was solid throughout at the back. Looks a snip at £500,000".

"McCarthy hero - incredible goal and played most of the match with a broken nose. Have to give him MOM".

"McCarthy - 9.5 - MOM".

"Macca 8/9 - what a goal !! and very good in the air".

"What a strike by McCarthy. Think most of us were in shock when it hit the net".

"As for McCarthy's goal, well to be honest i think it took a few seconds for it to sink in what had actually happend before going nuts".

"McCarthy's goal was AMAZING, goal of he season no doubt for me!"

"McCarthy - 8, Great goal, won everything in the air, PLAYED 80MINS WITH A BROKEN NOSE".

"McCarthy - 8".

It's the 1st goal not the 2nd.
    LESS OF THE BULL NOW!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,322 Posts
    massive bump for this thread, Holloway expects Paddy to be back in the Palace side in three weeks: http://www.croydonadvertiser.co.uk/M...ail/story.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Could anyone name a list of players that really probably deserved at least one full cap for Ireland but never did?

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yard of Pace View Post
    Could anyone name a list of players that really probably deserved at least one full cap for Ireland but never did?
    Joe Lapi... Oh, wait.

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rambler14 View Post

It's the 1st goal not the 2nd.

Both goals are the same of course, one is a mirror image of the other!

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yard of Pace View Post
    Would love to see this list....can't think of any off top of my head. Can think of a few that didn't deserve a cap alright
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast