Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Starting 11 v San Marino

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    When is the squad going to be released?
    My Guarantee
    Am looking for old Irish matches on VHS, PM me if you have some and I'll upload them here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    goal threat.

Sterve Claridge had an interesting comment on bbc website today on what made O'Neill a great manager too. Organisation & inspiration, and picking square pegs for square holes.
    Always liked him. Quite articulate, sensible and not afraid to criticise in a non-aggressive way. It seems to me that more 'journeymen' turn out to be brilliant managers than brilliant players do.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    I hate these threads, as I never know whether we are asked to predict what the team should be (our choice) or what it will be (Stan's choice).
    I'm not sure what my starting team would be. Would I change a winning team? Perhaps not, but we didn't beat the Czech's and we're playing San Marino, so I think a change or two could be order of the day.

This was the starting xi the last day
    Henderson
    Finnan
    O'Shea
    McShane
    Kelly
    Duff
    Carsley
    Douglas
    Kilbane
    Reid
    Keane

I've taken my eye of the Premiership the last while so I couldn't say who is playing well. My opinion would be that McShane shouldn't be dropped, nor should Reid considering he has played well for Charlton since he has resumed fitness. I think both Douglas and Kelly will lose out to be honest. I reckon both O'Shea and KK will retain their places. I think HEnderson should start again. It is San Marino after all so the chances of him being under constant pressure is unlikely. Another chance for him to build up the minutes. Of those returning I'd be surprised if O'Brien is recalled to the team. Nothing has changed at his club situation and after the last debacle he really cannot be started.
    Dunne will get his place back I'm sure of it, with O'Shea moving to left back. McGeady to start - unlikely. Not that I believe he shouldn;'t start. IN fact I think his trickery would be ideal against a team like Serie C1. But I think Staunton will keep the changes to a minimum. I believe it will be a toss up between Doyle and McGeady to start. If he goes for the straightforward 4-4-2, then Doyle should start. But, if he's going to do the central 3 with 3 further forward then he'll go with McGeady. Actually just thinking about it, either could work really.
    So the team I think he will pick:

Henderson
    -- Finnan -- Dunne -- McShane -- O'Shea
    Carsley -- Kilbane
    McGeady -- Reid -- Duff
    Keane
    Last edited by Kingdom; 27/10/2006 at 5:15 PM. Reason: Change of formation
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Dunno about playing Reid in a central role in a straight 4 4 2 though. I don't think he has the legs for it, and I worry about how astute he is defensively. He's at his best as a progressive thinker and can only be afforded that kind of freedom on the flank or as part of a five man midfield.

I can't see Stan dropping Kilbane, but I'd like to see it in this case. Sure he played well against the checks on the left but simple fact is he shuld be seen purely as a left winger and consider himself unfortunate that he's in competition with Damian Duff. Hopefully though Stan doesn't see Kilbane as an option in the middle long term and should see the next two games as a chance to blood a new central pairing before the the welsh game, so Douglas should keep his place in the middle along side Carsley. A.Reid, Douglas, Carsley, Duff, Doyle, Keane as our midfield and attack. And if the unthinkable happens there's McGeady and Kilbane on the bench to reall put them on the back foot.

There was a level of comfort between McShane and Henderson due to their season at Brighton last year, that think I noticed in the czech game (Might've been hyper analyising though). McShane should be given the next game, but come next year if he's not in the WBA side it shuld be re-assessed. I think Stan will go for Carr and Finnan on the flanks again.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234